susieq12
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition technical issues here o

[Post New]by susieq12 on Jul 26, 10 12:46 PM
Had the problem with the 15th hook and the black screen. Went back and started a new game but did not go to strategy guide; went through the entire game without any problems and played the extra scenes.

My suggestion is to avoid the strategy guide.

Edited on 07/26/2010 at 12:48:04 PM PST

carleneb
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by carleneb on Jul 26, 10 2:34 PM
susieq12 wrote:Had the problem with the 15th hook and the black screen. Went back and started a new game but did not go to strategy guide; went through the entire game without any problems and played the extra scenes.

My suggestion is to avoid the strategy guide.

It's a terrible shame that one of the reasons I bought the collector's edition was BECAUSE of the strategy guide and now it's suggested to NOT use the strategy guide or the game will malfunction. I want my money back.

susieq12
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition technical issues here on

[Post New]by susieq12 on Jul 26, 10 3:32 PM
Carleneb, I used the strategy guide without any problem as needed and then on my using it to locate the last hook this problem arose. I am not saying don't ever use it just that when I used it, at this point in the game, I had a problem. You may not and others may not have a problem but I did and not using it at the hook location worked for me.

Big Fish has always treated me fairly; I have had problems and they have always helped or if there was a problem that could not be corrected they have made me whole. Good game site with very good games and service.

Suzzie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition technical issues here on

[Post New]by Suzzie on Jul 26, 10 4:51 PM
I'm having difficulty picking up the pieces of the stained glass window in the castle. If I click on them they enlarge and then drop and go back to the blank piece. It will not allow me to pick the glass shard up. I keep on clicking and can sometimes make the connection to some of the shards, but now can't finish the window.

bitsy1949
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by bitsy1949 on Jul 27, 10 12:04 AM
I too am having a problem with the frozen cursor near the end of the game. Gave up on it for now after downloading and re-downloading, etc., which was an exercise in futility. Hope BFG games fixes this soon. Really love the game. The trial worked perfectly, and that's why I bought it. Don't want a refund, just a fix.

peascot
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by peascot on Jul 27, 10 12:07 AM
I contacted technical about screen going black, and kindly received an email back within 16 hours...They are going to look at my computer through DrFelix, but, going by all the posts, there are alot of black screens at the hooks, doesn't sound like it is my computer.

grumbler
Marlin
Marlin
9,065 Posts

[Post New]by grumbler on Jul 27, 10 4:10 AM
Played trial and loved it, bought the game and have had nothing but problems. Very slow, no sound, loss of cursor, tells me the players name is corrupt and must use a new name. I have deleted and reinstalled three times and still not working properly , one or all of the previous problems still causing trouble.

bluedage
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by bluedage on Jul 27, 10 8:42 AM
I am trying to get out of the castle and there are no sparkly areas, nor is there a right turn on the stairs or from the stained glass picture. I understand there should be an area to the right of the stained glass window- there is none on my game. I also understand this is a glitch a lot of people are having. What is the solution to this? This is not a cheap game.

higgins717
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by higgins717 on Jul 27, 10 1:34 PM
peascot

i also forwarded dr felix to big fish, i received a response back and i was told they are aware of all the problems with this game. big fish needed all the dr felix's from people experiencing problems to forward to the developer for a fix, which i hope comes quickly.

[Post New]by questionmark on Jul 27, 10 6:15 PM
I'm also having a problem after going in to the Strategy Guide. I made it through almost all of the game, I think - I'm pretty far along - and only hit one minor glitch before this when a conversation window didn't clear properly. I exited the game and went back in, and all was well. But, that didn't work after going in to the Strategy Guide...I appear to have a completely hosed game now.

I'll contact Support and let them know as others did. I'm just sad because if the developers create a fix, it may involve starting over again. I really like this game, but I'm not sure I want to have to start over to finish.

micah123
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

chapter 7 castle tower landing grate does not open

[Post New]by micah123 on Jul 27, 10 8:43 PM
After using the lever in the tower room and getting the cut scene, when I come downstairs the grate is closed. When I try to go down, it tells me that there must be something in the castle that will work this mechanism.. I haven't found a key for the trunk in the wine room, haven't found the two items for the jailor's room, haven't been able to open the cage to get the knife to get the cheese or find the cook's ladle. I did give the handcuffs to the jailor and he's gone and I have played two of the three token games.

Chapter 7 the castle. Several people have the same problem. They have posted in other areas. thanks please pm me as i have a dickens of a time finding where to post technical problems.

Edited on 07/27/2010 at 8:53:15 PM PST

peascot
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by peascot on Jul 27, 10 11:49 PM
woo hoo, have found the 15th hook, after 4 times re-installing of this game.

It wasn;t visible and i thought "Oh No, here we go again" but I clicked just under i think the first shelf, and voilla, there it was.

DrFelix did reply within 24 hours of my email, and all i did was upgrade directx.

Thankyou BF for your response and help.

peascot
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Post any Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition technical issues here o

[Post New]by peascot on Jul 27, 10 11:56 PM
oh, when i started the game after upgrading directx, it did say something about the game being corrupt, but I just started under a new player name...and all is good.

Edited on 07/28/2010 at 6:24:39 PM PST

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Jul 28, 10 6:47 PM
ember89 wrote:SPOILER

i met the tavern keeper and he told me that he had a piece of the amulet to give me... then the game froze... closed it with task manager, but will retry and see what happens...

Same problem here...but I get no amulet piece.
Judging from the posts, I'm a little incredulous that it's being touted as a CE. Think I'll skip on this one...

inkblots
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by inkblots on Jul 28, 10 8:30 PM
grabbinbugs wrote:Same problem here with the hooks. The 15th hook is not in the scene. Game goes to blank screen. I see very little use in trying again with a re install as the problem is in the game. Eventually the issue will be patched and I will play the game another time.

inkblots
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by inkblots on Jul 28, 10 8:33 PM
lilhexy wrote:HELP!
Im having the same problem as Glory7000. I havent had any problems with the game until this issue and Im toward the end of the game! (grrrr) I get to the part where you need to collect 15 hooks and as soon as i get 14, the screen goes black. I had to control-alt-delete to get out of the game and now when I go back in, it takes me right back to the black screen. I was going to unistall and start over, (ugh) but read that it hasnt helped others. Same thing happens when they get to that level again..any suggestions??? I am very frustrated. Paid $20 for a game that looks like Im not going to be able to finish.
kim
(lilhexy)

blu_j_10
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by blu_j_10 on Jul 29, 10 4:50 PM
I cannot get this game to run at all after I purchased the full version. The demo ran fine. I would really appreciate any help. Reinstall??????

Shegsy
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Shegsy on Jul 30, 10 7:17 AM
I only got to the magic mirror page before my cursor froze, I was playing in regular mode I might give advanced a go but my skills are not that good!

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Aug 1, 10 9:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I just want to drop in here and let folks know that we have gone ahead and sent this issue over to our development team to look into the freezing/blank screen and other issues reported in the forums.

We are very sorry for the frustration that this error has caused. We do our very best to test each game on a variety of computer types and configurations. However, even with an army of game testers working 24 hours a day we still would not be able to insure that we test for every possible combination of Operating System, Video Cards and Software Updates that are used by everyone.

We will keep you updated with a post here in this thread.

The best way to get these types of issues resolved is by contacting our Customer Support team. They will gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix. If you would like to continue to assist us with this issue, we ask that you please send a Dr. Felix in your message to Customer Support. Dr. Felix is a diagnostic reporting tool the tech team uses to get a lot more specific information about what is happening with the game. If you're uncomfortable completing the following steps, I want to urge you to contact Customer Support for more specific help: Click here to start Dr. Felix

1. Select 'Run' or 'Save File' to download the Dr. Felix file to your desktop.
2. Next, open the 'DrFelixBigFish' file.
3. Once you’ve agreed to the terms, Dr. Felix will start gathering information.
4. Wait for Dr. Felix to finish, then click the 'Next' button.
5. A .zip file, named 'DrFelixResults' will save to your desktop.
6. Attach the zip file to your support ticket. You don't have to open the .zip file if you don't want to, it's already collected the information it needs.

Click here for information on how to attach a file to your support ticket.

Thank you again for your patience, bfgTigris

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Aug 1, 10 2:47 PM
Hey, I just joined the group that got a frozen screen!!

I got to give the amulet to the Princess and while not revealing what happens next, this is where the screen froze! It said to click to continue, and nothing. I can't move anywhere or do anything. No arrows, nothing. There's a cursor and I can see the screen animation, but I'm stuck!

Update: I minimized the screen and when I went back to it, it loaded up again. Now I've progressed out of that screen. So I guess it was stuck but got unstuck when I hit my Windows key and minimized it. I was typing this out and decided to check it again. It then went to the loading screen and progressed me to where I am now.

Whew - I hope it stays that way.

Go to: