simmi36
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

Re:A SIGN UP SHEET ASKING TO KEEP THE FORUM ACTIVE

[Post New]by simmi36 on Apr 17, 18 1:03 PM
First of all I'm relieved to hear that the jobs of the mods are not at risk.

What I don't understand is, if the software is too old to upgrade why not just keep the old forum as it is and start a new one with new software.

Of course this costs some money but it also keeps the community alive and shows the members that they are important and not only there to give their money away.
The community build over years is what keeps players at THEIR gamingsite. You can buy games everywhere and if the community here is gone, I'm sure a lot of the members will search for help on other sites. Why should we get help there and then buy here, where we don't seem to be that important.

I also don't understand why not even the developers know about this. I had contact with one who was as shocked as I was to hear that this is seemingly over. I know he's not the only one here who thinks the contact to players and their input is important to better their games.

Closing the forum down may save money now, but I'm sure in the long run it will cost you a lot more.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Apr 17, 18 1:03 PM
Signing in to "keep the forums active".

Sorry this is short but as I have had a really bad day today, and BFG's post was the last straw for me.

Daxadillion

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Apr 17, 18 1:13 PM
I completely agree with pretty much all of the comments. I don't post a lot, but I do go to the game forum every day (several times a day actually). It is a much needed resource for those of us who have problems with games and for those of us who want to add our opinions about how we liked or disliked a certain game.

And yes - I agree, there have been many changes since BFG was bought out - and many of those changes were NOT good. BFG is the largest game site that I have ever been on - or can even find out there in "cyberland". Nobody out there carries the numbers of games and the varieties of games that come out.

I find it very hard to believe - with the technology available now - that BFG cannot find a way to upgrade their forum system and ensure this Game Forums part of their site can stay active. Frankly, it does not make any sense. From the sounds of it, BFG has already made the decision and NO amount of comments from BFG members is going to make a difference.

I will start making a list of the developers of the games and will maybe have to purchase games directly from them. I think this could be a potential hardship on the developers out there who use BFG as perhaps their main source of getting their games out there for people to play and buy.

It's too bad, but basically, I think it's a done deal and no amount of comments from us are going to make a difference.

skyepearl
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by skyepearl on Apr 17, 18 1:16 PM
I don't contribute much but I do read daily. Thank you to the moderators & to all who've posted!! I use your opinions to help me decide in purchasing, as well as seeking help when I'm stuck. I'll vote to keep the forums open, sure. But I highly doubt it matters. So I'll just say my g-byes & thanks while I can. I've REALLY enjoyed my time here...10 years.....over 900 games....WOW! But, like others have said, it's all gone downhill & it seems to be gaining speed at an alarming rate.

I just pray I don't lose my games. I know they'll chime in to reassure, as of THIS moment, they're safe & sound. What about next year or the year after that, when the forums and members have all disappeared....and they don't bother to offer anything but FTP & mobile here anymore. What happens when the software that keeps my purchased games available for me to download needs updating..... If there's a downward spiral in PC gaming, I don't see them springing for that upgrade either.

With the disappearance of the forums, so goes my trust in the website. I'm following the current elsewhere &, once my credits are gone - so am I. I'm not dropping another dime here. Of course my game club credit renewed YESTERDAY.

Looks like Steam just became my wallet's #1 boo. Hope to see some of you there!

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Apr 17, 18 1:29 PM
I purchase 99.9% of my games from BFG -- and I have a LOT of them. I often use the Forums to get help with a problem I'm having with a game, find out if there's a glitch, help others with problems they are having.

PLEASE KEEP THE FORUMS OPEN!

anoldfish
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by anoldfish on Apr 17, 18 1:33 PM
Not going to say much because others have said it all. Please add our name to those who are upset by the decision to take away the forums. The Big Fish forums are checked daily in this home and play a vital role in deciding which games to buy and in solving any problems that we have had. Huge disappointment.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Apr 17, 18 1:35 PM
Hello Everyone,

We appreciate your thoughtful questions and will continue to answer them whenever possible.

The forums are no longer sustainable. Their age and the unique parameters by which they operate prevent us from updating them or implementing a new system. Before reaching this conclusion, Big Fish Games pursued and considered many different options. We recognize that this is a momentous decision that will impact your experiences with our games. The respect we have for our players and the honor we feel at being trusted with your business would never allow us to make this decision quickly.

As different teams discussed the future of the forums, they strove to inform and consult as many stakeholders as possible. We sincerely apologize to everyone to whom this announcement came as a shock. There's no good way to announce the closure of a vibrant, passionate community. It's my dearest hope that you'll find places to continue discussions of these games.

Before swimming away I want to thank Daxadillion for all of your help and hard work over the years. I have incredible respect for the job you've done in the forums, and I'm so sorry our announcement have contributed to a bad day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to a moderator if you'd like to talk.

Please have a lovely day, everybody.

bfgBeruna

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 1:39:28 PM PST

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Apr 17, 18 1:44 PM
BFG is the only game site I use and I have been a member a long time. The first place I go before I even see what game is out is the forums. They tell me what I need to know about a game before I try it. I don't use the star reviews. They don't usually tell me much.

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Apr 17, 18 2:11 PM
Throwing us all under the bus....plain and simple. A company as BIG as theirs can do what they want and will, no matter what we say. Well, the main page reviews will still be available with all those star reviews that most don't read.....wonderful. Doesn't that make you thrilled?

Kamana_29
Marlin
Marlin
9,782 Posts

[Post New]by Kamana_29 on Apr 17, 18 2:23 PM
G'day,

It's a sad day as I visit the forums daily to see either what my fellow players think of a game or see if anyone else has had the same problem with a game that I have or have a solution for some mini games (thank you SynthpopAddict for your generosity in posting solutions) but I can't say I feel very surprised. It's been obvious the forums software is old & having problems. I often had the quirky mental image of the moderators running around with mops & buckets trying to fix the forum's mess every morning.

As much as I wish BFG will alter their decision, I truly doubt it as I'm sure they have fully assessed the situation & their accountants would have advised closing the forums was the most economical decision.

There were quite a few forums created after CCC was closed so perhaps people can organize to meet in those places. There is also a group in FB if people want to join, they can PM me as it's not easily found

Kam

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 17, 18 2:24 PM
It will be sad to see the forum go just as it was when the chit chat forum went away.

I joined BFG about 13 yrs ago and I have to say the HOPA games were so much better than what is coming out these days. More people were posting in the game forum then including me and it was fun to read. It was my go to for tips and clues on how to solve certain puzzles etc.. If the number of postings in the forum these days relate to the number of purchases, sales must be down.

Most of what is in the forum these days is spam and BFG has not been able to eliminate it properly so I can see why they would want to eliminate the forum all together but I'll miss it as will a lot of other people. They are under new management and new management seems to always want to make changes.

Edited on 04/18/2018 at 10:50:21 AM PST

Rob_Blake
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Rob_Blake on Apr 17, 18 2:53 PM
Daxadillion wrote:Signing in to "keep the forums active".

Sorry this is short but as I have had a really bad day today, and BFG's post was the last straw for me.

Daxadillion

I have been sick to my stomach since seeing the post about this early this morning.

Rob

Rob_Blake
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Rob_Blake on Apr 17, 18 3:04 PM
bfgBeruna wrote:Hello Everyone,

The forums are no longer sustainable. Their age and the unique parameters by which they operate prevent us from updating them or implementing a new system. Before reaching this conclusion, Big Fish Games pursued and considered many different options. We recognize that this is a momentous decision that will impact your experiences with our games. The respect we have for our players and the honor we feel at being trusted with your business would never allow us to make this decision quickly.

bfgBeruna

In the year 2018 and all the technology available for web sites and devices, what unique parameters are you referring to, that BFG cannot implement a new Forum system, while other game sites still have forums? So what if the new forum might have a totally different look to it, as long it allows members and moderators to post comments and questions about games? I'm sure you can install a new system, but that the cost of doing so is too overwhelming for your company. I have been a member since 2009 and have over 1400 games from your site. I feel that basically you are telling us, "So sad, too bad, thanks for being loyal customers, but nothing we can do about it."

demon13
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by demon13 on Apr 17, 18 3:57 PM
Are there other sites like BF that have forums so you can get help with games?

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Apr 17, 18 3:59 PM
Well, this announcement was certainly a shock to read this morning! But after reading all the comments, including those from the Mods, I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised.

I too, am a long-time member (since about 2006), and have seen many changes over the years. Sadly (in hindsight), losing Chit Chat was inevitable, as it had become a vehicle for trolling, and not much else

Now we are to lose the forums, and I have to think about where else I can go to find game help. Will I continue with my BF membership? I don't know. Using the forums to read other opinions on the games has been a daily pleasure, and one that I am going to miss very much.

I can afford to pay more for membership, but too many Fishies can't. Advertising would overwhelm our pages, making it very difficult to find/read relevant information.

It is obvious that the new owners are not interested in keeping a tiny percentage of game players happy, as most of their profits come from other "more popular" streams. Sigh.

So, even though I shall add my name to the Petition, I too, shall say "Goodbye" - it's been a pleasure, everyone

Jen

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Apr 17, 18 4:13 PM
Been a member since 2008. For all the fun the people here and the games have given me, I've learned the hard way that once BigFish makes a decision, there's no amount of reasoning or begging that will cause them to reverse course.

When they killed CCC a few years ago, many left this site. I stayed but my buying patterns changed to plowing through the vast library of games to build a game library that spanned every genre Bigfish offers.

I also signed up with my favorite developers and even purchased a few games from them. Plus, when you sign up with developers, you might get more beta opportunities, including 'closed beta' which gives a few players an opportunity to actually have a hand in fine-tuning a game before release. I've gotten to do closed betas 4 times now and they've been my most memorable gaming experiences that didn't cost me one cent.

Once again, an unpopular BigFish decision has me wondering if I should just give up and refocus elsewhere. Watching what was a pretty special place go through repeated surgical amputations is just sad.

bfgBeruna
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBeruna on Apr 17, 18 4:27 PM
Hello Everybody,

I sincerely apologize for my last message. While the forums are no longer sustainable for Big Fish Games, you matter a great deal to us. As a moderator I've been welcomed into this community, and I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know all of you. You're an incredible group of people, helpful and inquisitive and supportive, and I'm so sorry that we're unable to continue the forums.

Before joining you all in this pond, it was a dear ambition to become a moderator. I am passionately excited about the chance to read what excites our players and to get to know you as individuals. The Moderation Team also mourns the closure of the forums and the loss of these outlets.

We encourage players to reach out to one another and pursue venues where you can continue discussing our games. If you'd like to discuss deeper concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to me or another moderator. We want to do everything we can to make the forums' closure as easy as possible.

Thank you, as ever, for your patience.

bfgBeruna

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Apr 17, 18 4:52 PM
Thank you bfgBeruna, for all you have done over the years, you will be missed

Are we all missing something here? I thought Big Fish games was the leader in gaming TECHNOLOGY The keyword is technology, are we really to believe that BF can't solve a forum software issue? That their servers can't handle the traffic? That makes no sense, not wanting to pay to fix the issue seems more likely.

I have spoken to several devs today, all of which say that all other sites are pouring money INTO their forums because that's where the money is generated...from loyal customers who wish to share their love of games. Word of mouth is everything!!!

pennmom36
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by pennmom36 on Apr 17, 18 4:56 PM
FRHgames wrote:For me as a developer that is very bad! I'm reading game forums and it is a huge source of a customer feedback which helps making our games better and fix issues.
I wrote an email to our contact person and explained how important the forum is.
Igor
FRH GAMES

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
I have spoken to several devs today, and they all seem to have the same opinion as yours Igor. We appreciate you, and really appreciate that you have gone the extra mile to address this problem

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Apr 17, 18 5:12 PM
This forum is one of the main reasons I am a Big Fish Member. They don't say why they are shutting it down. I love these forums. I check it every single time before I buy a game. I think they are trying to stop the negative reviews. What they may not realize is that what one person objects to, another might find delightful, so reading these reviews is very helpful to me. I vote to keep them!!!!

Go to: