doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira

[Post New]by doctorgood on Aug 2, 10 4:26 AM
joyce2121 wrote:
tuttepeever wrote:Another DUD. Definitely a no buy for me. Quit after playing 10 minutes into the Demo. Shouldn't complain since there have been some great games lately. I have three waiting to be purchased once they arrive at the regular price versus CEs. Will never spend $20 on a game. My patience is limitless when it comes to deals. A CE is no deal. Especially since I have just enough mulah to get me through the month for groceries. These are hard times for many of us. Especially those of us who are retired and living off what the GOVT provides. Prisoners, have it better than Senior Citizens. I could get on a rant but this isn't the forum. Just pissed off tonight so forgive me. Had to vent.

So agree, but I don't think of my Social Security as what the GOVT
provides, I worked and paid into it for 58 years.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

Highjack away! Joyce2121 is absolutely correct. Imprisoned sex offenders have it better than us..........that ain't right.
Dr.good

Trekkie7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira!

[Post New]by Trekkie7 on Aug 2, 10 6:15 AM
Can't stand the jumping cursor AND the fact there is no Window option - geez, in this day and age . . . .

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on Aug 2, 10 8:43 AM
I stopped playing after the first scene. I can only add another for this HOG. The only positive I have is I knew had immediate access to the toss barrel...and used it! It was so bad I came out to the forum to see if it was me. Nope, it's a rushed game.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Aug 2, 10 9:11 AM
That was painful!! Played the demo while I was waiting for laundry to get done, otherwise it would have been a complete waste of time - oh, wait, I was wasting time! Objects were sooo small. At least there were tokens to find to increase hints or I would have been done very quickly. But then I burned them up fast on the "find the differences" puzzle. I thought I was done when I looked down and saw I needed to find 14 more differences! Resorted to clicking everywhere on the picture. I was ready to trash it then, but decided to go on (the clothes weren't dry yet) to see if I could find the "humor" that had been hinted at in the promo. Now I was playing as the mayor, and the most unsavory aspect of the game was the site of Rita's house when he said he had helped her out around the house when she was young, but she had since locked her doors to keep him out! Yewwww! Not funny.
BTW - What is the trick to playing slider puzzles?? I just can't do them!

Edited on 08/02/2010 at 9:17:41 AM PST

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Aug 2, 10 11:56 AM
Comment from another player stated:

"Played for 10 minutes.....long enough to know I didn't want to play anymore. Cheap graphics and a cursor that jumped around the screen. Definitely not a buy for me"

Sums up my experience too
boooo

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

HORRIBLE!!

[Post New]by joyzebra on Aug 2, 10 1:25 PM
BFG should be ashamed to offer this at any price! After 10 minutes I was screaming in pain! FORGET IT EVERYONE!

[Post New]by lferradino on Aug 2, 10 2:03 PM
I, also, was reminded of "Golden Trails", a great game! It looked like a knock-off to me, from the scenes shown at BFG. It's not even in the ballpark! This is an atrocious game. The graphics are not good, the hidden objects are almost impossible to find, and the whole theme stinks. I didn't waste more than 20 minutes on the free trial and dumped it!

Anozira? Seriously?

[Post New]by AzredheadedBrat on Aug 2, 10 2:35 PM
It's obvious this game wasnt made overnight, it's been in the works for a while and I have a feeling it was originally "Postcards from Arizona", but with the recent backlash over the illegal alien situation they changed the letters around and released it anyway. In fact, I'm willing to bet real money that's what happened.

As for the dynamics of the game, I think all the posts pretty well covered that.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Aug 2, 10 2:40 PM
Like the Big City Adventure games but not nearly as good. Hated the mini game puzzles. Played for 14 minutes then deleted it.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 2, 10 6:03 PM
This isn't a bad game per se, although I am sure there are some people who won't like it, mainly those who enjoy iHogs and are seasoned players. I finished the whole hour demo and I think it is a great game for a beginning HOG player. It does remind me of all the Big City games my DD and I used to play a few years ago, especially with the coins you can find in order attain additional hints, skips for the minigames, etc.

The music wasn't bad and the graphics weren't too bad. Basically a junk pile hidden object where the objects aren't necessarily appropriate for the era. Yes, some of the items were very difficult to find, but you can get up to five hints for each scene. The minigames after each scene rotate between spot-the-difference (which I thought was impossible), sliders (which were yucky to me), jigsaw puzzles, etc. I found I had plenty of skip coins to avoid games I didn't like.

Overall, not a bad game and if I hadn't filled 5 punch cards last month, I would seriously think about getting this one as well. As it stands, I think it would be a definite purchase as a DD.

[Post New]by springsjulie on Aug 2, 10 7:32 PM
It wasn't as horrible as some reviews here led me to believe. I wanted to see if it was as bad as everyone said, lol. I usually turn down the music/sounds on a game, so wasn't annoyed by any of that. I skip storylines too, and just go for the HOG part. There were some objects that were so blended into the background that I never would have found them without a hint, but I did like that you could find hint tokens (and bonus points and time tokens as well), so those came in handy. The minigames were varied enough not to be boring. The graphics aren't topnotch, but passable. I didn't have any trouble with my cursor being jumpy, as some have reported. All-in-all, not as bad as I would have thought! Okay enough for me to finish the trial.

[Post New]by HimalayaStudios on Aug 2, 10 8:22 PM
Hi there,

I'm Chris, one of the developers of Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira. Thanks for trying the game and providing us with some useful feedback!

Based on player suggestions in this thread, we're currently working hard at addressing some of the issues that have been mentioned. Here's a list of the main things we're tweaking:

1) When playing in "Relaxed" mode, the player will get unlimited Skip Tokens to use across all mini-games. (No more getting stuck on them).

2) The player will start new games with 4 Hint Tokens instead of 2, to provide a little more leniency.

3) In the options, you will be able to select to use the System Mouse Cursors instead of the Game Cursors (they resemble the white Windows mouse icons).

4) [removed by moderator]

5) A deaf player mentioned the game wouldn't start on their system without speakers/headphones installed. We actually have a deaf artist on our development team, but he's never experienced this before, so we weren't aware of the issue. This may be a limitation of the game engine we use, [removed by moderator]

6) A few other small, miscellaneous tweaks here and there.

[removed by moderator]

As for the game itself, "Postcards from Anozira" is a sequel, of sorts, to a Point & Click Adventure Game called "Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine" that we released in 2006. This game originally introduced these quirky characters and the desert land of Anozira to players, so these characters, settings, and whatnot have been around for a while now! Definitely not an overnight job.

To the players who mentioned objects being too small, could you please let me know the ideal size you believe a Hidden Object should be? We usually develop adventure games and this is the first HOG title we've ever worked on, so it's been an educational experience. All feedback posted is considered. Thanks!

Chris

Edited on 08/03/2010 at 1:48:42 PM PST

grumpy1123
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by grumpy1123 on Aug 3, 10 8:00 AM
Sorry, developers, but all those tweaks should have been fixed before this was released. That's what Beta testing is for.

After I played for 15 minutes, I spent 3 hours trying to get rid of the game! It would not uninstall. Just kept getting the message that it was still running.

And no, I don't think it's a Big Fish issue as you suggested. I installed and uninstalled other games the same afternoon. I have never had any problems with BF. I finally had to delete my whole BF Game manager to get it off of my computer.

This is the most trouble I've had in over 3 years with Big Fish.

[Post New]by HimalayaStudios on Aug 3, 10 9:24 AM
goofyduck77: Hey, thanks for the great feedback. Will check those games out and keep these things in mind.

grumpy1123: To avoid double-posting, please check my reply to your queries in this thread:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/109223.page

(the Technical Issues one)

That uninstallation problem sounds unlike anything I have ever heard before! We've released games with this engine that hundreds of thousands of people have downloaded, installed, played, and uninstalled over the past 10 years. In all that time this is the first I have heard any mention of such an issue - leading me to believe it is related to BFG's installer software.

Did you contact BFG's technical support before deleting your game manager? (That seems like a drastic step to take!) If so, did they give you an explanation for this particular problem?

Edited on 08/03/2010 at 9:44:09 AM PST

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Aug 3, 10 3:51 PM
Chris - First time I've seen a developer responding to the comments. Thanks so much! This game was too similar for me to Big City Adventures, which I detest. Also, I agree that some of the hidden objects are too small; I don't want them to be in my face, but I want to have at least a sporting chance of finding them! I do like the idea of the timer - if you don't find all the clues in the time allowed, you need to start over. That makes it a bit more of a challenge. I do have a game credit, so will consider buying this one. I really like HOs. Although I must say, I just love Redemption Cemetery and Asylum Conspiracy. Thanks to all for the reviews on those!

Whitenurse
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Re:Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira

[Post New]by Whitenurse on Aug 3, 10 11:47 PM
jkuci wrote:
I'll keep this one in mind for a dry spell. Its amusing. {{??Anozira = Arizona???}}

Yes I do find quite a few spelling mistakes also, I find it very amusing in this day and age of "Spell Check" I live in Australia and even I know how to spell Arizona, also Kevin is not Aussie if he is it is a very bad accent.
I did think that this was going to be like Golden Trails which was very good, but I am sad to say that this game is the worst I have seen from Big Fish for a long time.
I didn't even last 10 mins in the demo and wasted some download MB, which I could have use for another game.
I will see what BF has tomorrow.
Kaz
Downunder Oz

grumpy1123
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by grumpy1123 on Aug 4, 10 6:43 AM
To Chris the developer, I want to apologize for the negative tone of my 2 posts. I am homebound with an unexpected broken bone and that has made me more grumpy than usual. Playing these games has been my only way to pass the time, so I guess I panicked when I couldn't get yours to work. I should have contacted BF as you suggested.

[Post New]by HimalayaStudios on Aug 4, 10 9:28 AM
Whitenurse: I'm from Australia too, so I guess that doesn't excuse me from spelling "Arizona" backwards? Believe it or not, this is actually the intended name of the land. Rather than the state of Arizona, this place is a fictional town called Anozira. Mainly, this intentional spelling is a throwback/joke to the old Sierra adventure games of the 80's and 90's where the developers used to name game towns after anagrams of real world locations. And yes, you're right, Kevin's not Australian -- he's Irish... with a Cockney accent. (Go figure!)

grumpy1123: No problem, I can appreciate how frustrating it is when things don't go as expected and end up causing unforeseen technical problems. It's also frustrating on our side when this type of thing happens to our game, when it doesn't seem to affect others on BFG. Hopefully your experience is an isolated incident and BFG are able to address the problem. It might actually be a good idea for you to still contact BF via livechat and let them know about this problem you had. If their technical support people are made aware of it, perhaps they can fix it so it doesn't happen to anyone else. If it's indeed BF's software that caused the issue in combination with the AGS engine, there's also a risk it could happen again to you in the future when you download other games. Sorry to hear about the broken bone BTW, hope you'll make a swift recovery!

Myriade99
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by Myriade99 on Aug 5, 10 7:06 AM
Looks like a poor version or copy of a Big City Adventure game. I didn't last 10 minutes.

Azeela
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Azeela on Aug 5, 10 10:08 AM
Don't really have anything positive to say about this game.. Ohh wait.. No.. Nothing..

Go to: