JAWJAB
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal

[Post New]by JAWJAB on Aug 4, 10 1:04 PM
I also was fortunate enough to be in on the closed beta. There are not words to describe the work that the TwinBottles put into this game. They aimed for perfection and you can surely tell by the flow of the game. I have 68 year young eyes and for some reason I didn't have to use the magnifying glass but than again we beta tested the game forever and a day so that might explain why after awhile I knew where things were.

TwinBottles and Condeminion are tops in being sure a game is not released before its time and also being there to help with any and all problems you may have. I remember Saqqarah and a few issues with the game and Condeminion was right there on the forum helping each and everyone. They even reissued the game with changes.

Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal is not only a game but almost a movie, the dialogue may seem a bit long to some but the characters, voices, artwork are excellent and definitely appreciated and enjoyed by many many gamers.

Baaaa Brunhilda even agrees!!!!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 4, 10 1:08 PM
yup....love the devolepers....they really care about putting out a quality game

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Aug 4, 10 1:30 PM
I enjoyed playing the "game" part (i.e. looking for objects) but there was way too much dialogue and this morphs into too much clicking. Too bad developers can't have a skip-all dialogue option (unless clues are hidden in the dialogue).

I'm not a big fan of teenie-weenie hidden objects. The magnifier helped, but the interface was a bit clumsy.

Time was wasted because of the heroine walking for one local another. I noticed at the bottom of the first screen there were buttons that seemed to promise easier/faster navigation. Sorry the demo time ran out before I got that far.

Can't comment on the music - I mute it.

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on Aug 4, 10 2:14 PM
I started in the casual mode (easy). I thought it was beautiful! But geez, that first screen where the demon is teaching you... all the sparkles etc. ewww! So, I played a bit more and after the tutorial, it's wonderful!!!

It's fun and funny. Just a great game in my book.

Those of you that only play the first part (tutorial) and don't like it, keep playing for a bit. You might end up liking a great game.

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Aug 4, 10 2:16 PM
I like the demon and his voice. This is a quality game and also lengthy, took me roughly 6 hours. I agree the objects to find are too small.

I got bored with the game and wished it would end sooner, there was too much repetition, ie find 5 of this and 6 of that. The 3 minigames weren't that interesting. I read the developer is planning a sequel, hopefully they can improve on the above.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 4, 10 2:47 PM
Nice game especially for younger gamers. However it still has the problem of tiny objects which you must find. There have been several complaints about this problem with other games. I have a large screen and cannot imagine finding these with a notebook or small screen. The magnifying glass is annoying. It is something to play until Big Fish brings back some really great Hidden Object games such as Redemption Cemetary or Nighfall Mysteries with the Asylum. Lately they have been selling Hidden Object games with no minipuzzles and loads of screens in which you need to find hidden objects. Quite boring. Returning to school soon and my time will be limited. PLEASE bring a great game before school starts. Love Hidden Object games with the great storyline, graphics and minigames. This is a nice game but not as good as some of the others. It least it is not BORING!

lexi4
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lexi4 on Aug 4, 10 2:50 PM
Thank you fishies! It sounds like great fun. I am downloading it now!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 4, 10 3:32 PM
Definitely not for me. I played about 10-15 minutes of the demo then had to delete it. I definitely do not like things with demons in them so maybe that clouded my judgement a little, but I don't really think so. I just got through playing Redemption Cemetary so maybe subsciously I was comparing this game to it. I didn't really care for the graphics, but what was more irritating to me was the actual game play. I chose the more advanced mode and still found the game to be boring. I just couldn't get into it. I do tend to think a storyline is important in games and the storyline in this one seemed lame to me. Glad others loved it, but certainly not my cup of tea.

penrose, please don't take this the wrong way . I'm not trying to offend anyone and I know you meant well, but um...if you look up a dictionary definition of a demon it says that a demon is an evil spirit or devil so they are "unChristian". I didn't see that anyone had commented on the unChristian aspect in this thread, but I just wanted to clarify that demons generally are considered unChristian and while not bothered by them, so people might prefer to pass on games with demons in them.....even if they are considered funny

Edited on 08/04/2010 at 3:33:41 PM PST

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Aug 4, 10 4:06 PM
(are non-christians allowed to comment here?)
I'm on the fence about this game. The "small" objects didn't really bother me; the graphics are so clear and uncluttered that I didn't really have any problems finding things. I would like someone who has played the whole game to let us know if the tasks throuout the game lean heavily towards multiples, as it does in the 1st chapter. The demon's voice didn't irritate me, but the constant dialogue made me feel like I was in an infinite tutorial. It does seem pertinent to the story....maybe it's the pop-up that bothers me. I might have preferred it rolling at the top or bottom of the screen. I also find annoying, not just that there's so much back and forth (many games have this), but that I have to wait for Brunhilde to shrink and unshrink, and wait for her to walk everywhere; and THEN she just stands there while I have to find everything. I think if the player was operating as Brunhilde, things would go smoother.
So.....somebody comment about the multiples, please, that will probably be the dealbreaker for me; otherwise, it's a pleasant and interesting game to give a rest from some harder ones.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Aug 4, 10 4:17 PM
I am really enjoying this game. I love the fact that I don't need a walkthrough to know what to do next and even though some of the items are very small, the hint system is unlimited and renews quickly. I think it is a very unique hidden object game with quite a bit of humor, and it is definitely holding my interest. I am one of those gamers that enjoy looking for multiples, so that part doesn't bother me. I have been playing for about 4 hours and am halfway through, just starting Chapter 6--so it is a really good length.
I have to say that at $6.99, this game is a great value for the money.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 4, 10 4:30 PM
I have played the full trialtime. I have really enjoyed playing the game. The items are sometimes a little bit small, but the game has a great storyline and its a little bit different from other hogs. I have read on the developerssite, that the gamelenght is appr. 6 hours. Thats a definete buy for me

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Aug 4, 10 4:36 PM
I saw where someone said that BFG's was the first to get this game. The only reputable site w/this game available up until now has been the developer, Codeminion....

Just wanted to say that is not true, unless BF got it a few minutes before another reputable site got it. When I opened my email inbox this morning, it showed where BF and another game site has this game and no not the one already mentioned. The only reason I mentioned this is in case others wanted to try it out at the other place to see if it worked any better/different, then here. As for myself, the game worked perfect so ya know I had to buy it. LOL now for BF to come out with some more games I can use my credits on. LOL (to bad I can't say who the other game site is) lol oh well, maybe others got it in there email as well.

*The above was not meant to be rude in any way.*

Take care all~ I'm off to play some more of it!

Jude_Rigby
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Jude_Rigby on Aug 4, 10 4:55 PM
Have read all the reviews, but seeing 'dark' and 'magnifying glass' described here I'm gonna pass. Also, the screenshots for the game are too cartoonish for me, and there's something about Brunhilda that just bugs me, and having to see her the whole game... . I'll pass on the demon too, nm that he thinks he's a fairy.

But as always I do appreciate the reviews as it's incredibly helpful in me making up my mind on these games.

I'm heading back to Elixir of Immortality, gotta love it!
(And, hey, I'm a seahorse now!)

Edited on 08/04/2010 at 4:57:01 PM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 4, 10 5:03 PM
I'm glad Big Fish finally got this game! I love this kind of hand-drawn graphic style. The scenes are very detailed. The scenes are dark, but they don't seem too dark for me. Nothing is "hidden in the shadows" or anything like that. The gameplay is a bit on the easy side (find 10 ninja stars, find 5 pieces of cheese...), but it's still fun. I find it relaxing and fun to play. The developers seem like nice people (see the article with a title like "Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal beta tester" over at the website that does game reviews for a nice story).

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 4, 10 5:03 PM
I totally forgot I had beta'd this game until I played the demo. Then I remembered how much I disliked the tiny objects and having to use the magnifier. This game had a lot of potential - the graphics are great and the story is engaging, but it just gets too frustrating to have to use the magnifier. I remember giving that feedback in the beta. Definitely won't be buying this one.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 4, 10 5:19 PM
CasualGran wrote:I've placed this review a while back on another side)

Okay, what can be said in the favour of this game? Beautifully made in itself, yes. Good story, yes. Interesting characters, yes. Nice music, yes. Objects to find relate to the story, yes. And the game is long enough too.

But...

The objects are way too small and often hidden in dark spots The minigames come in a variety of three and are too easy. And the voice of the Demon helping you is terrible. Alright, you can mute a part of his comments, but still.

I've played it, but will definitely not play it again.

i agree with this post, i lasted 10 mins!!!

Three out of five.

MarjoryM
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by MarjoryM on Aug 4, 10 5:30 PM
DRAT DRAT DRAT - I already bought this from the developer. I had seen comments about Brunhilda in another forum and searched for it online. It's a great game in chapter doses. I spent 30-45 minutes a chapter and that quite a LONG game for me. Yes, the dialogue can get to be a bit much but the story line is good (much better than the ridiculous Veronica Rivers story). I don't remember having much of a problem finding the objects and using the magnifier. I really like having the card show when I needed to move to a different area to find something.

Edited on 08/04/2010 at 5:34:35 PM PST

purplemist
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by purplemist on Aug 4, 10 6:41 PM
this is one of those games that come along once in while that are funny,,quirky..and not boring.
Throughly loved the voices for the characters and the storyline is great and stays on track.
Had no problem with the small objects.
Only one thing that annoyed me was the music..after about an hour u just have to turn it off or way down.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 4, 10 6:59 PM
This is a maybe buy for me. It was okay. Graphics okay, voice of "fairy" sounded more like something from the Godfather. I agree, items are extremely small (yes, I know there is a magnifying glass) and some are very difficult to see in the darker areas. If something better comes along, I won't purchase this one, but it good if you don't have anything better to do.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Aug 4, 10 7:00 PM
what unexpected fun?! it's amazing how far a little quanxi can get you...

i found that i didn't really mind the cursor, but was glad that it could be disabled... and the music was light, the voices amusing, and the characters almost quite silly... the rats, the demon, pierre, and that cat! i fully enjoyed my hour and plan to immediately!

now, get that wand out of my nose!

Go to: