Question

[Post New]by swilli on Aug 7, 10 2:50 PM
Hello everyone, I am playing samantha swift and the fountains of fate. I am on a level where I have to use a axe to break the rocks for a item. But the ax dissappeared. Can someone help me thanks.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

A bit disappointed

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 7, 10 4:20 PM
I didn't like this one as much as the first two. Lots of hidden objects but not as many puzzles. It was pretty easy. It's a matter of taste I guess.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Samantha Swift and the Fountains of Fate

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 8, 10 12:50 AM
rainice wrote:The bright flashing light at the bottom of the screen was giving me a headache. Note to game developers..If you are going to put that kind of animation into your games, please provide a method of disabling it. The other games in this series I have very much enjoyed. If there is another one made it will hopefully go back to the quality they were.

And I thought I was the only person who had a problem with it. (See my post just above yours). These continuous pulsating flashes more or less decided it for me not to buy this game.

treklady1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by treklady1 on Aug 8, 10 1:10 AM
I enjoy the Samantha Swift games, but this one is an exception. Like others who have posted here, the flashing light at the bottom of the screen gave me a headache, as well as being highly distracting. After 30 minutes of play, I knew I couldn't continue with this game if it meant having to deal with that constant flashing. Luckily, I was trying before buying, so I didn't waste a game credit.

charmedinc
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by charmedinc on Aug 8, 10 4:34 AM
I like the SS games, so I bought this one right away, well, used a punch card coupon, but still . The first three were better than Fountains. It lacked storyline (hardly any story and mostly told in pictures). Gameplay is ok, but it seems to me they've gotten easier, or I've gotten better. And they recycled a little from earlier games. All in all, I'm happy enough with it, but it's def less good than the others.

Tamlin55
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by Tamlin55 on Aug 8, 10 5:55 AM
I was so excited to see a new Samantha Swift game, but couldn't get to it till yesterday. I was vaguely disappointed as I started playing -- I thought the hidden objects seemed ill-defined, and the screen was less-than full-sized. When I went into options to try to correct that, it was already set to full-size. There didn't seem to be any explanation of plot or what she was looking for, and then the scenes shifted one after another to vary dark and hard to see backgrounds. I had to use hints in almost every scene to find at least one object, and I pride myself on not doing that! This is not my experience with past Samantha games, so I don't know if I'm going to purchase this one. I feel really let down. I always felt I could count on Samantha Swift for a great game experience. If it gets better, fellow fishies, please let me know!

[Post New]by chrissy0531 on Aug 8, 10 6:42 AM
can anyone tell me how to use the strategy guide? i have it downloaded and bought but dont know how to use it

thecatspjs
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by thecatspjs on Aug 8, 10 11:51 AM
This game is ok, but definitely not as good as the previous Samantha Swift games. It could be because of the lack of plot, which I like in a game. I don't like to search just for the sake of searching. And maybe I've gotten more picky about my games too, I donno. Anyway, I did buy it and will play it through as it is somewhat entertaining and there haven't been many great games out there lately. I did like Dragon Wheel, which I haven't finished yet. I've noticed that I haven't been pushing through and finishing games like I used to. I get bored with the story line or game play and quit. Not worth wasting too many game credits if that is going to happen.

[Post New]by grandmagamer49 on Aug 8, 10 12:56 PM
Am buying this also because I just love all the Samantha Swift Adventures. have all the genre so far. Keep them coming! Great graphics and mini games are great.

nanski
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by nanski on Aug 8, 10 12:59 PM
This is a great value game, and fun to play. Interesting scenes with quirky extras (dust blowing, vans pulling away etc) Four tasks to complete in each scene (hidden object, hidden object, concealed h.o., tools required h.o. which give more playing time.
The puzzles are very inventive and new - no same old rip offs in this game.
I like everything about it, and have paid 19.99 for games that are shorter with less playability.
I've missed out on previous games, but will definitely try to get them now.

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Aug 8, 10 1:42 PM
Its ok if you like point and click. No storyline, no real puzzles, just an unending list of small items to find. Not for me. Good luck to those who like it.

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Aug 8, 10 3:58 PM
This is the first SS I've tried and if they're all like this I'm glad I missed the others lol. I just didn't get it with this game. I agree with other posters in that items were ill defined. Or-no tools & something said "use tools". Sheesh!!! It's a no go for me-not even on a DD!

[Post New]by wyldedragonfly on Aug 8, 10 5:45 PM
I didn't hesitate to use a game credit for this game. I love the Samantha Swift series and was looking forward to this one. I was slightly disappointed.

The story line was weak. Really weak. Hardly any Adam or Dr. Butler, no backstory about the bad guys, no drama with the bad guys.

Of the four games, this is the weakest. I love the SS series because of their simplicity - which can be deceiving - I've had a hard time trying to find items not because they are so well hidden, but because they blend so well with their background. Other games/series, you get to know how the items will be placed (Mystery Case Files, I'm looking at you), but not with this series which is why I like it so much. Plus, I love the sites Sam travels to. For me, it's educational and sometimes, that can be fun.

But this game seemed to miss the point. They did rehash old scenes from The Golden Touch - cheesy. The labyrinth from The Hidden Roses of Athena - again, cheesy. I don't know if Mumbo Jumbo was in a hurry to release this, but while the graphics and music were definitely up to snuff, they were lost without a proper plot.

Just my .02 worth

Edited on 08/09/2010 at 2:51:03 AM PST

[Post New]by henryjill on Aug 8, 10 6:08 PM
I am having a problem with this game freezing up when I reach the area to complete the labyrinth. I did uninstall and reinstall thinking this would solve the problem but it did the same thing. I got the following message: Panic error in file ".\platforms\Win32\Win32texture.cpp", line 178: Failed to create Direct3D texture, not enough memory.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Aug 9, 10 9:02 AM
well, there are a lot of extras, it seems, for those who want to buy so there's no arguing about the value of the game... and the graphics are good, the scenes fairly well-lit... the music isn't oh-so-annoying... and you're given the PDA at the start instead of watching her hunt for it

btw - did anyone notice how at the beginning of the opener she has the pouch on her right arm, and then when she gets to the beach it's mysteriously on her left arm??

my overall feel for the game - don't like having to manually adjust my screen settings for a game, don't like 'full screen' being a myth... would like to have a scrolling item list if i'm supposed to find thirty items in one scene, other games do it... would like to think that if i'm pretty sure i told the hints to be disabled that they would go away somewhere and learn how to play pinochle or something... so - frustrated seems to rule the roost here... probably because i would like to like it, but i'm just not there...

so, hats off to fate and may you all enjoy games without glitches

[Post New]by 12thstreetaddict on Aug 9, 10 6:47 PM
I've loved the other SS games but I'm having lots of technical issues with this one. I'd wait a while to purchase once they've worked out the bugs. Go to the forum and check out all the user complaints.....

I got hooked with the demo and had to buy it. Was addicted till I got to the Bermuda section and froze up with the figs. Got that resolved by logging in and out and rebooting. Was able to complete the game and then it froze at the point where I go through the next door.

If they fix the issues a definite buy; if they don't I'd definitely pass. It's so frustrating to get to the last leg of the game and not be able to finish it.

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Aug 10, 10 2:54 PM
I really liked what I was able to play, regrettably due to technical issues they issued me a game credit. I really wanted this & what I did get to play was really good. So if you can run it on your computer I would recommend it.

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Aug 11, 10 2:44 AM
I could not stand this game, 15 minutes played and out you go, girl! to the moon!

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Aug 11, 10 4:05 AM
I've always loved SS but agree with others that this one was disappointing. I like the "take you hand" ease of the game, where your cursor turns blue and gives off white sparkles when you have the right object at the right place. But over and over and over again? It's getting old.

It was VERY hard to see items; I had to use hints in virtually every scene. I started the game and played for about an hour, then started again about 11:00 pm and was determined to finish... which I finally did, at 5:30 in the morning! It got to the point where I was groaning out loud at yet another scene to get through. And they are very repetitive: 1. find all objects, 2. find all (different) objects, 3. find objects using tools, 4. find the secret object using tools.

Yes, there are quirky touches and beautiful scenery. There was one scene in Basra where there was a sunset scene with a pink sky and it was just so peaceful (totally unlike real life in Basra, I'm sure). Gentle movement, clever FX like blowing sand and such.

For those wondering, yes, there was a sound track -- I woke up my DH asking him about the birds I could hear chirping on the roof behind our bed. He said "It's your game." I swore it could not be the game, I could DEFINITELY hear actual birds chirping outside, behind me. To prove it, I exited the game with the Windows key and sure enough, no more birds.

There was also quiet, appropriate background music which was soothing though barely noticeable, plus wind and rain and other similar noises..

Unfortunately, this was ruined by the screaming of the scanner when I misclicked too many times -- which seems to be defined as 3 or 4 wrong clicks. It makes a horrible electronic whine as it powers down and then powers up again. At the end of the game, when I was just forcing myself through, clicking at random since I couldn't see (for example) 18 figs against a black background lit only by flashes of lightning, that d**n scanner was shrieking and screaming constanty -- as I also was every time I thought I had come to the end of the game, only to find another scene to drive myself through.

All in all it started out well, but ended as a nightmarish experience. I should have gone to sleep instead. So despite the charming graphics and ease of play, this may have been my last Samantha Swift.

[Post New]by yellowlynn on Aug 11, 10 12:43 PM
AMi THEONLY PERSON HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE "FIGS" IFOUND 18 BUT WHEN I TRIED TO PLACE THEM IT STATED THAT I ONLY HAD 16, CAN'T MOVE ANY FURTHER

Go to: