bunny3620
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows

[Post New]by bunny3620 on Aug 23, 10 11:09 PM
Well, let me tell you that without the walk through I would never have made it. I am in agreement with another player that said that a lot of the puzzles never made any sense. I wish the hint area would have at least told you what to do on some of them. I did enjoy the game but it was a struggle. There were some areas that you were supposed to go to didn't make any sense either so I guess that's when I depend on those who post the walk throughs. I appreciate y'all so much.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Aug 24, 10 5:29 AM
Five s. Great game with just the right level of difficulty.

sm22281
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by sm22281 on Aug 24, 10 10:09 AM
Great game, particularly in terms of visual graphics, and unexpected sequencing. I love the HOG but the puzzles were puzzling for me -- I skipped a lot. I agree with other reviewers, that the Hints were not always helpful at all, more like snippy teasers! I had trouble figuring out what to do at times, because the "sparkle" hints are not that easy to find. Lovely graphic work, a feast for the eyes. I also like the level of mystery -- evil but not too creepy... Real looking but too real. I am now working my way out of the dungeon and I am repulsed by the suggestion of torture -- lots of hooks, blood sprays, etc. Am trying to do it without really looking at the scenes. The old witch got me, ha, ha! I really like this game, I think it is much better than the first one, more complex, more layered, more intriguing. I am slogging through it, ploddingly but with tons of good coffee. Thank you, Big Fish!

Edited on 08/24/2010 at 10:12:12 AM PST

[Post New]by franciebrady on Aug 24, 10 11:11 AM
great game, it's got great playability so therefore good value for money, however it is a bit buggy so be prepared for the odd frozen cursor apart from this it's the best game I've played in ages.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Aug 24, 10 4:34 PM
Just finished the demo and found it very intriguing. I like puzzles, so have to take the other side from those that do not. I did not find the puzzles to be "out of character," but will have to agree the hints were few and far between. They were challenging, at least most of them, and I love a challenge. Definitely don't like to be hand-held throughout a game.

I thought the graphics were bright, clear and very nice. Music uninstrusive. Enjoyed the voice over's - at least that kept me from "reading" a book. They talked, I looked around.

Love the to and fro of any game. When you find an object, you know exactly what you have to do with it - most of the time. As I said, I only played the demo. Am glad to hear that it is a long game, but went to the walkthrough just to see how far I'd gotten. Very strange walkthrough - seems I did not go in the order they pictured and began wondering if I was playing the same game? !!!

It was no RTR, but along the same lines. I imagine it will be an enjoyable game for me, at least. But there are some other ones out there that I must try first.

Hope those that enjoyed the trial have a good time playing. I think this is going to be a buy for me.

[Post New]by electricfish on Aug 25, 10 10:06 AM
Overall, I give this a thumbs up! Great graphics and nice variety of puzzles. I finished in about 4 hours, so good value for money (esp. since I used a coupon! ). I enjoyed having to pay close attention to the scenes for items to pick up, although that did result in me having to consult the walk through a couple times for items I'd missed.

What I didn't like - the puzzle hints were mostly useless. I managed to figure out most of them on my own, but there were a couple that I felt like I only got through by random clicking. I do enjoy logic puzzles, but there were a couple where the logic wasn't at all obvious. But I applaud them for giving us something different. I guess I'd rather be mildly frustrated by a game than bored by the same old thing. I would just appreciate the option for a little guidance, even if it comes with a warning or a penalty.

Minor point, either I missed it, or there wasn't any prompt at the beginning of the game to look for mirrors in the HOG scenes to refresh hints (I played on the advanced setting, if that matters). I didn't figure that out until halfway through the game when I accidently clicked on one. I enjoy looking for those kinds of "extra" items, so now I feel a tiny bit cheated.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Aug 26, 10 5:21 PM
This one doesn't come close to the appeal of the first one. I absolutely loved the first one. Toward the end I had a scene needing to replace items. I'm not a newbie to this type of game. That scene was so ridiculous. I had 7 items that needed replacing and only 4 hints left. I was just disgusted. Used the 4 hints and quit. I doubt I will even finish this one. This is about the third game in a row where the sequel is so far below the original that it is comical. Wish I had not bought this one.

POLLY1957
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by POLLY1957 on Aug 26, 10 6:23 PM
So far I love the game. I enjoy the puzzles, I am skipping them if it takes me to long to figure one out. I am stuck right on getting the herbs for the medication. I put the weight on the scales, but there wasn't any herbs on the right scale. Can anybody help me?

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Aug 27, 10 4:47 AM

I have been waiting for a credit to get this as I have the 1st one, so when it appeared on weds I was in my element, loving it, yes to me the games are hard, but I like things I have to think about if not will skip it, I have managed quite a few of the puzzles but again thats through luck rather than skill.

I havent finished it yet, thought I would have a look at the walkthrough as im a bit stuck but as usual i've seemed to gone gung **** wrong way to the walkthrough nor shouldnt have gone there yet, so will take some working out, but im thoroughly enjoying playing it.

a big from me.

Edited on 08/27/2010 at 4:49:31 AM PST

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Aug 28, 10 9:11 AM
Just a few minutes ago, I have finish playing this game on normal. Soon, I will try playing the game again on advance mode to see how long it would take me to finish the game.

Without further ado, this is what I think of the game:

Graphics – It simply beautiful to look at.

Music/Soundtracks – It fits well with various environments within the game.

Voice Over – I believe that it is okay somewhat but it could be improve a bit more. For example, the witch’s evil cackle needs to be bit more emphasized.

Hidden Objects – Most of the object were easy to find without any hints being used. I like how you have to interact with certain object to get the particular object that is listed.

Puzzles – Most of them were easily solved right away with the help clue that were given. While most of them even with the clues, it took me a while to figure. Not that I really mind.

I really enjoy playing this game a lot. I believe that this game is worth getting, only if you like Hidden Objects and puzzles.

btshack4
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by btshack4 on Aug 28, 10 2:51 PM
Loved the game, and played it twice, my only gripe is my scores are not being kept by the game. The high score page stays blanK

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 29, 10 7:09 AM
I completely agree with lorialcorn2006 on this one: the mini-games drove me crazy -- I usually like mini-games, but who wants to add 30 mins. on your game each time you skip one (even when you're only playing against yourself), particularly when the so-called hints are totally inadequate or even not there. I ended up going back to the walkthrough so many times, I finally printed out the last 20 or so pages. That's ridiculous. Some of the mini-games can be figured out, but it takes quite a while to do so. I also thought the back story ended up being more a a generalized context, with little connection to the second half of the game, until the very end where it gets tied up. Other games have integrated the story better. However, the adventure/search parts and hidden object part were fun,and it's easy to accumulate enough hints for those, so you can find all the objects, without getting into trouble.

erikab922
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

fabulous games, great puzzles

[Post New]by erikab922 on Aug 29, 10 10:25 AM
First time I've ever liked a game so much I had to comment on it. The puzzles in this game are so good - some games have puzzles so easy they might as well not be there, but these puzzles are the perfect level of difficulty, I like it when you have to think and try to figure out what you're supposed to do with the puzzle. I love that some of the hidden object games are where you already have the objects and you put them back into the scene. Absolutely brilliant game, have really enjoyed playing it.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 29, 10 4:00 PM
i overall enjoyed the game,however i skipped a lot of the puzzles and could only get three of the final 4 gems puzzle

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Aug 31, 10 8:48 AM

I finally finished it bank holiday monday, 9 hours, who cares I loved it, and will play again, just to do better on the puzzles, I got to the bad withc aligned the mirrors ok and completed the game, but for the life of me I didnt finish dressing the Armour or playing the turtle game, but like I said i enjoyed it and will play again.

[Post New]by dedeblonde1 on Sep 2, 10 6:57 AM
Please! Where do you get the quill to give to the gargoyle????

crystalstorm
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by crystalstorm on Sep 5, 10 1:56 PM
I really enjoyed the game. I DL'd both and played them back to back to see if it would help me decide which one to buy...it didn't. I had more glitches with the regular version. The CE edition had no glitches or tech problems. After reading all of the great comments by fellow gamers, I've decided to wait and see if BF corrects these problems.
That being said, I agree with so many others that the hint system was useless and I am one who enjoys puzzles but not ones that have no rhyme or reason or direction.
I'd say I probably enjoyed the first game in the series a bit more but thought this was still a good buy. Great graphics, ****'s just easy/hard enough.
One day it will be a buy for me. Happy gaming

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Sep 6, 10 9:53 AM
LOVE IT! After I Demo'd the CE was patiently waing for Standard version--depending on the fishy 3-6 hours of fun! & with the special...can't beat the price

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Sep 7, 10 10:22 AM
Just finished the game and it was super....I give it a big ...Enjoyed everything about it,music,puzzles,graphics,etc....get this game, you can't go wrong!!!
Thanks BFG.....

nannanow
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by nannanow on Sep 7, 10 2:26 PM
[b]Thank you BFG for a HOG that is bright enough to actually find all the ****'s! The graphics were very nice and the music wasn't too busy as to distract the enjoyment of the gameplay. The game did freeze up on me right after I gave the little girl the teddy bear. Luckily, I exited the game and was able to resume and continue playing with no problem.

Go to: