Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystic Diary: Haunted Island

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Sep 7, 10 1:44 PM
I purchased this game, during the endless sale, along with many others, BF gets me every time, even when I want to cut back, I can't seem to pass up a deal..lol!
I have mixed feelings about this game though, can't quite put my finger on it, although I did finish it, it was missing the WOW factor.
I did love the ghost's, and after playing a while, I found my nitch and from there, the game had a nice flow to it.
I thought it was challenging because you did have to go back and forth a lot, and usually, that is something that I don't enjoy, so that was kind of weird.
But it made me want to figure out what was happening next, and continue playing, even though I wasn't crazy about the game..this is a first for me .
I did enjoy the ending, going back to every place, to collect the magic seal's, love the HOG scenes, and looking for items is my favorite part !
So even though it wasn't a favorite, it was well worth the money, and a big plus was the lenght, they didn't cut the game short, for me anyway.
If you are more of the adventure type gamer, than I would suggest giving this one a try, because there is plenty of going back and forth, looking for an item to use.
Thanks BF, with all that said, I was satisfied with my purchase, so thank you:-)

[Post New]by rine1702 on Sep 9, 10 9:01 AM
I really enjoyed this game. Kept my attention and was just the right length. By that I mean it didn't go on and on with verbal story line. It contained a nice veriaty of "hidden object'' sections. I mostly get hidden object games and this was one of the better ones I have played.
I recommend it as a very good play.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Sep 11, 10 10:00 PM
I liked Mystic Diary: Lost Brother so I was excited to play this game. I enjoyed the puzzles, and I thought the art was better compared to the first one, although I liked the story of the first game more.

There's a pretty substantial adventure game element to this, in terms of finding objects and using them in the right places which works for me, as I like adventure games. Be warned, there's a bit of backtracking. I click fast to navigate around and the scenes loaded quickly so this wasn't a problem for me, but I know some people detest it.

This game had an appeal to me that was more than the sum of its parts. I guess I just liked general feel of the game: the art, music, pace.

[Post New]by JustDontTryIt on Sep 12, 10 3:24 PM
I must be in the Twilight Zone. Is this a new game or not ? Looking at the OP of this post, the date indicates to me that this game came out just last month....August 2010. I played it long time ago. I haven't checked my purchase history yet to check the date I bought it, but it's been much longer than a month ago. Yet when I downloaded the demo, and clicked play, one of my profile names that I use, was already listed, then when I clicked to change the profile, I saw that my real name was listed. What gives ? I remember playing the first game in this series, but I thought this one was a new one. Not so.
Edited to add......again I say I'm in the Twilight Zone. I just checked, and found that I bought this game on August 14th 2010. But it sure seems longer than that when I played it.

Edited on 09/12/2010 at 3:36:10 PM PST

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Sep 13, 10 1:36 PM
this game is 10x better than the 1st one. Go Developpers, I want a 3rd one and better than the 2nd one. Can you do it ? A buyer who is waiting.

hcopter51
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by hcopter51 on Sep 15, 10 8:33 AM
Just finished the game and loved it....Music,graphics, game play, all great......Only thing was that I thought the ending could have been a little better.....I even liked all the puzzles and am glad there will be another......Thanks again BFG.....Absolutely a 5 game.....

[Post New]by Linda_in_Aussie on Sep 17, 10 7:59 PM
This is a great HOG game. I didn't like it at first but does get you in so to speak. The longer I played it - the more I liked it.

It's one of those games that I enjoy playing while watching TV at the same time like football or something. Need to have a fairly good memory as you travel through from the different areas and work out how the items in the inventory that may relate to another part of the game. Didn't take me too long to remember how to navigate through each area.

I found it quite challenging but had to use the hint a few times as some items were a bit obscure. The hint button takes awhile to recharge but that adds to the challenge. Couldn't have finished it without the Walkthrough though. The puzzles were just OK - skipped a few of them.

It was a good buy - think I used a credit for this one and have no regrets at all.

Can recommend it for sure. 4/5

Edited on 09/18/2010 at 12:29:19 AM PST

GIMLISAXE
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by GIMLISAXE on Sep 19, 10 12:24 PM
Well this one just didn't do it for me. The graphics were good. The hidden object scenes were challenging, but not enjoyable for me. They were just junkpiles. The storyline was ok, but not very engaging, and the back and forth adventure portion seemed tedious to me. Not one of my favorites. out of five.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Sep 19, 10 5:45 PM
Yea! I beta'd this game and now am just past the point where the beta test ended. Loving it. My type of game. On the island now. I'll be back after I'm done.

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Sep 22, 10 6:41 PM
Done! Thoroughly enjoyed this game. Beautiful graphics. Only ran into two glitches when I had to trace the patterns on two spells. Good thing you could skip them to get to the next scene. This game to me was good length and I thought the ending was fine. Seems there will be a sequel. I bought the first one during the Labor Day Sale so I'm off to play it now.

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Sep 24, 10 2:43 PM
Just loved this game! Great graphics, sound effects [rain was very realistic], good amount of HOG areas, NO GLITCHES [hooray ], and puzzles that aren't too difficult and have a "skip" button when all else fails .......that's a good thing because apparently my spell "tracing" was bad on 2 of them... ...ha! Also, really liked when the spirits wrote in the diary.....cute!! Many different scenes [farmhouse, water, caves, etc.] to explore [especially liked the "wormhole" access from cave to farmhouse ]; a well thought out story line, and it wasn't too hard to get the rhythm of the game, and know what to try to do next.............love it when I don't need too many cheats . Wished it had been longer. I am hoping that, as the ending suggested, there is a sequel...can't wait......will definitely buy!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 29, 10 8:31 PM
I really liked this game. I never finished the first one, but from what I did play of the first game, this one was greatly improved. The graphics were good, and the game play smooth and logical. Although the story line was pretty weak, the adventure elements were quite well done, which made the game very enjoyable overall.
There are similar games out there that are more polished in terms of graphics and story, but the rate of improvement over the first game was very impressive. I look forward to the next in this series.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Oct 17, 10 4:27 AM
I enjoyed the game. It was a challenge, but with enough in-game help that I got through it without resorting to the walkthrough. The graphics were good and the score was non-irritating, always a plus for me.

The one element that seriously annoyed me was when you had to copy a spell symbol. Usually, when you have to trace or copy something for a game, it's very forgiving; as long as you're in the right general area, it'll accept it. Which is nice, because not many of us are good at drawing with a mouse. However, in this game, if you didn't get it exactly right, no go. I copied several half a dozen times before finally giving up and skipping, which is not what I like to do. Even when what I ended up with looked perfect to my eye, it wasn't always what the game wanted.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Oct 23, 10 7:31 PM
I had a game credit and decided to use it to purchase the game. I enjoyed the demo, and figured what did I have to lose purchasing it since it was free. It is an IHOG but can be heavier on the HOG than the interactiveness/Adventure, especially near the end. I enjoyed the parts of the game that were more interactive. I love games where you are given lots of inventory objects and have to figure out where they go as you move forward exploring lots of different areas, and this game allows you to do this, but there are an awful lot of hidden object scenes to find these objects, more than my liking, and I got annoyed with that. I like more of a mix of puzzles, HOGs, and doing tasks with inventory items. Although there were some puzzles, and they were fun, I would have liked more of them and less HOGs. I think lots of HOGs can get monotonous after a while, especially if you are doing them back to back. I need a puzzle to break it up, or finding a use for an inventory item, and like I said, there was some of that, and it was the parts of the game that I enjoyed most, but the end of the game was mostly back to back HOGs, and that ruined it for me. If you are looking for more of an IHOG than a HOG, I do not recommend this game to you, but if you don't mind a lot of HOGs in your IHOGs, than you may enjoy this game.

The_Wanderer
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by The_Wanderer on Oct 24, 10 9:45 AM
Just finished the game and I enjoyed it. The graphics were really good and the story kept me interested. I had the music on low and liked it that way.

I had to look up the walkthrough twice which is something I hate doing but couldn't see what to do next so had to.

I can't understand the people that complain about too many hidden object scenes. That's the kind of game you are playing, if you get board of them don't play, find another genre!!

I thought the length of the game was adequate and would recommend playing it.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Oct 28, 10 7:09 AM
The_Wanderer wrote:

I can't understand the people that complain about too many hidden object scenes. That's the kind of game you are playing, if you get board of them don't play, find another genre!!

Not all hidden object games have tons of hidden object scenes, games vary, and it is a matter of preference. Some hidden object games are more adventure oriented and only have hidden object scenes occasionally, and more of the focus is on finding items for your inventory and figuring out where they go. Or there are hidden object games where you have to solve lots of puzzles in additions to finding objects. Like I said, these games vary and it is a matter of preference, so you can enjoy this genre of games even if you don't enjoy doing tons of hidden object scenes.

When I wrote my review above, I was trying to be helpful to people that are like me, that more so enjoy the interactive/adventure in these games than the hidden objects searches, so they would know that there are a lot of hidden object scenes in this game. I wrote about that to save them the trouble of purchasing a game they might not enjoy. What I wrote was not supposed to be offensive to anyone. If you do like searching for tons of hidden objects, then good for you, but not everyone who plays these games does, and it doesn't mean we are bored with the genre as a whole. I just played Twisted Lands Shadow Town and totally loved it, and have enjoyed many other games like that, which are more interactive. I didn't hate Mystic Diary: Haunted Island, there were some aspects of it that I did enjoy, and I think I stated that in my review.

[Post New]by fairygodmother55 on Nov 2, 10 7:28 PM
Just finished this game.... enjoyed most of it, but some parts seemed a bit lacking.. The last segment with all the HOG scenes was a bit tedious.. wish we would have had more puzzles/ mini games to break that up a bit. Was glad to finally tackle the haystack, though!

I thought some of the HOG's were a little hard to see, and had to use an occasional hint..... and then there was the issue of the scissors..... that was just plain silly.... I'm all about logical solutions to puzzles.

Ok, so now I need a new Adventure type game... RTR was still by far the best I've even played.... suggestions?

MooeyG
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by MooeyG on Nov 14, 10 12:13 PM
I thought the game worked better than its predecessor. It was more interesting and the gameplay was more involved. I thought that generally the scenes were better crafted this time around.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Nov 16, 10 8:30 PM
I'm a little late on playing this one; one month, bought so many games, I've been working my way through them. If you want to call this an IHOG, fine, but use the "interactive" part very lightly. Adventure? Very loosly an adventure game.

I enjoyed the graphics; the hidden object scenes were very well done with a couple of stumpers here and there that I had to use a hint on; the music I adjusted to be low, with the sound affects and atmosphere higher - that worked just fine for me and was not obtrusive. A lot of "to and fro" which is fine with me as I like that - and enjoyed the ability to move from the island back to the home through the use of a portal (which comes up half way through the game). The puzzles were really good (I love puzzles) and quite challenging. Liked finding the ingredients to make a potion on one puzzle. This is not a game that is going to force you to check the walkthrough, if you have the patience to run around and find what you missed. I'd have to rate it a B-.

As someone said earlier, you have got to get those "tracing" puzzles right on the mark. There were many times when I would give it my best 20 or 30 times, then forced to skip them. Other times I would get it right away. Don't understand the reasoning behind that. I think it may go along with the fact that you really have to click in the exact place to get some hidden objects. I don't like that, and call it a glitch. It was short, and I thought the story line was incomprehensible. These are the reasons I couldn't give it a better rating. Probably best to save for a DD because I don't think it's worth the full price.

cg

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Nov 21, 10 9:48 PM
Very creative game; realistic scenarios; lots of interaction between scenes. Enjoyed the music; Written diary presented helpful hints. Good replay value. Hint button recharged fairly quickly. The only irritant for me was the blue smoke that filled the screen if you clicked 2-3 times.

Go to: