Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Robin's Quest: A Legend Born

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Aug 19, 10 12:54 PM
This game is a perfect ihog for me: Very good graphic, very interesting storyline, nice main charakter (and Robin is a woman, big surprise!), very good and clear hog-scenes, good puzzles; it seems also that the game has a good gamelength for me. I will be buying it

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 19, 10 12:58 PM
It's Cute, quaint, and fun. Love the music. Played 5 mins and was sold.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Aug 19, 10 1:19 PM
I really enjoyed playing the demo of "Robin's Quest: A Legend Born". Time seemed to go by in a flash! The character voices were well done for a change. Hurrah! Loved the pleasant, time appropriate music, loved the graphics, loved the interesting variety of things to do, loved that I could opt out of the custom cursor... well, I just can't think of anything I didn't like about the game.

This will go on my Denfinitely Buy list... and, all of a sudden, that list is growing long. We've had several great new game offerings this month.

Thanks Big Fish!! Thanks developers!! Keep up the good work!!!

Classicaljazz

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 19, 10 3:18 PM
This is a great game for all the reasons other fishies have posted. A definite buy for me!

[Post New]by stormyyskyy on Aug 19, 10 3:36 PM
I enjoyed playing the game, and did use the walkthrough for one mini puzzle, but it seems pretty straight forward. I did get stuck at one point trying to find the last gold pieces. Remember, if you use a hint, it will also find wanted posters, pardon pieces, & gold bags - not just hidden objects.
by penrose47 on August 19, 9:31 AM

and the STORY is going to be different , since its A WOMAN. & married?

What is going to happen to Maid Marianne?

just wait until the end cutscene, it explains the female Robin. and it's spelled Maid Marian, i believe.

Vanadvindun
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by Vanadvindun on Aug 19, 10 4:57 PM
I really appreciate these forums and all of you who post. Before we purchase, we go through the forum for user reviews. It's ALWAYS very helpful!

What I really enjoy is how there's something for everyone here. I love to read people posting too simple/too hard or bad music/good music. Things like that help us all to decide which games to buy. Thanks to all of you!

I don't often post after just playing the one-hour demo, but I have a couple of comments and a question.

Comment #1: Nice graphics (even if they are a bit "cartoony").
Comment #2: Nice music---doesn't get on your nerves after a while.
Comment #3: Very simple and LOTS of sparkles/suggestions.
Comment #4: Horrible spelling and punctuation. Writers of a game of this caliber should have at least one friend who got through grade-school composition. Begins with the opening/loading screen that ends a two-sentence quote with absolutely no punctuation to the spelling of "ye" as "yee" and on-and-on. This game deserves better than that.
Comment #5: The voiceovers should have been done by people with more "authentic" accents, if they're going to be done in a "medieval style". The British accents are pretty hokey. It's the first game I've had where the music didn't get on my nerves before the accents. (Nice music, but I think that I already said that.)
Comment #6: I like an occasional simple game like this. Good for the nerves to take a break now-and-then (smile). This seems like one of those that will lead to better games in the future by these folks.

Question for those of you have finished the whole game (not Beta, please). I've already stumbled across the gypsy, yin/yang and Vishnu arm. Are there other religious parts to this game? If so, what; and how much of the play revolves around these?

Thanks so much for those of you who take the time to comment on the games on BFG! It helps a lot to have a place to come to for answers . . .

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Aug 19, 10 5:44 PM
I just finished playing the game and found it most enjoyable. A stress, scary, vampire free game. The graphics were very nice, mini-games harmless and a "skip" button for those mini-games that I really dislike.

On my version, for some reason, I was allowed to progress without completing a room, i.e., the globe needed more countries in order to open the globe but I didn't need it...apparently.

After reading the other opinions, I'm wondering if an update is necessary to fix this glitch if it is a glitch that is.

Hope you all enjoy this game and relax with it as well as I did!

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Aug 19, 10 5:47 PM
Thank you CasualGran and cherb, great reviews

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Aug 19, 10 6:00 PM
runtotorun wrote:I just finished playing the game and found it most enjoyable. A stress, scary, vampire free game. The graphics were very nice, mini-games harmless and a "skip" button for those mini-games that I really dislike.

On my version, for some reason, I was allowed to progress without ...but I didn't need it...apparently.

After reading the other opinions, I'm wondering if an update is necessary to fix this glitch if it is a glitch that is.

Hope you all enjoy this game and relax with it as well as I did!

There are many parts of the game where you can do things in different sequences, and some locations have to be visited more than once to complete everything.

So just continue playing, and eventually you'll find the items you need to complete that location.

If you need help with it, you can check the Blog Walkthrough. But in general just keep playing until you get stuck and can't figure out what to do next. Then revisit each location that doesn't say AREA CLEAR and see if there is something new you can do there this time.

Robin

p.s. The Town Center and the Market will never say AREA CLEAR , but eventually all the other locations will.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Aug 19, 10 6:05 PM
Question for those of you have finished the whole game (not Beta, please). I've already stumbled across the gypsy, yin/yang and Vishnu arm. Are there other religious parts to this game? If so, what; and how much of the play revolves around these?

None--the game takes place near a seaport, and you should just assume that the various artifacts you find were brought in by sailors at one time or another. If you're asking if there's any magic in the game, only by the Gypsy, and the only thing the Gypsy does is give you the HINT jar and the SKIP Locket. They don't play a part in the plot.

There is a time-appropriate Priest, Bishop, and Church, but nothing especially religious happens there.

Robin

p.s. For the person who asked if there was a "feminine" sensibility to the game, I think it's more just trying to be family-friendly, similar to a Disney story, most of which have pretty limited violence.

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 6:06:23 PM PST

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Aug 19, 10 6:31 PM
I really enjyed my hour...high on the 'To get' List for me. Just enough holding my hand so I don't get frustrated I agree the music is very pleasant, and I'm glad that it doesn't run constantly. Nice job developers...even if some items do not fit the time/ culture portrayed

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 19, 10 6:56 PM
I too appreciate the Area Clear signs as one who wanders lost a lot thinking I missed something. Well, actually I did wander in a loop for half an hour trying to find my way to the Market to progress. So, I didn't hover around the Area Clear Bakery enough to find the footsteps and kept leaving through the door to the fields to the house over and over. Hand holding and foot holding is okay by me. Once I got out of the bakery another way I could go on and not stop and uninstall it. Fun game so I'm learning to hover or click more. Happy I bought it (oh honestly, a free coupon so what's to lose?)

I guess I'm too layed back to let any of those things nit pickers find bother me, in fact, hardly notice them til mentioned. I'm here to play a game, not edit it. I can just appreciate the craftmanship and art and creativity that goes into it, this has so much going for it as a full package.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 19, 10 7:15 PM
Was on vacation, so now am catching up on the trial versions of everything. This one will make number 5 that I will purchase in a few minutes. Graphics nothing special, but fun. I wish all games gave you the option of not using the their "special" cursor...they are usually too big and too slow. The longer it takes me to get to the end of a HOG, the better I like it and this one won't be fast. Thanks!

slruser
Salmon
Salmon
2,654 Posts

[Post New]by slruser on Aug 19, 10 7:24 PM
I'll chime in with my opinion of this game too. Like most of the other reviewers, I found all aspects of this game charming. The storyline is wonderful - so nice to have the female twist to this classic tale - and she's a smart one too! (and not a Grandpa in sight! )

The graphics are great and the game flow is very logical and easy to follow. I'm playing in the Relaxed mode, so not sure about the more Advanced version. Two things hit me right from the start.....the characters' personalities are very true to the original tale and the music and ambience are also appropriate. The developers were also careful to use hidden objects that are consistent with the time period.

Overall, I'm impressed with the design and execution of this game. As my game experience grows, I have come to appreciate it when developers pay attention to the details, and this one surely did! Well done on all accounts! Highly recommended!

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Aug 19, 10 7:31 PM
In those days it was common knowledge that the earth was FLAT.

The Robin Hood era is during the earlier part of the reign of Richard the Lion-Heart, which spanned 1189-1199. Richard was off on Crusade & actually only spent about 6 mos of his total reign in England, mostly to get $ to support his warmongering ventures. His brother John, who succeeded him to the throne, is usually portrayed as the villain of the piece in league w/ the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Since the 1st recorded globe of the world was crafted approx 150BC in what we now know as Turkey, it's a total fallacy that Columbus was out to prove the Earth was flat & you would fall off when you got to the end. The phrase "Here Be Dragons" on medieval maps merely indicated unknown areas that hadn't yet been explored, not the world screeching to a halt when its straight line ceased. Ppl knew very well that the Earth wasn't flat & so it's not wrong to have a globe puzzle incl in a game encompassing the late 12th century.

Wrenches, however, were not invented until the 1800s, so those are completely anachronistic.

beckykay
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by beckykay on Aug 19, 10 8:45 PM
I think this is a delightful game. fun storyline, historically accurate or not, great graphics, smart hidden object, some puzzles a bit too easy, but not insulting, and the music is great. just a fun time, and the length is decent too. good job.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 19, 10 8:49 PM
Great game. Didn't think I would like it but it is terrific. Like the background music and the puzzles are great. The story is excellent and alot of different activities. Definitely not boring. Also like the fact we have actual voices in this game. I really get tired of reading what everyone says. I realize this is a hard element to add to the game but it really makes is better. Graphics are amazing. I am surprised this wasn't a collector's item game. Every bit as good as those and much better than the Exorcist.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 19, 10 8:51 PM
Geesh Scarlett 11. This is meant to be fun not a history lesson. Lighten up, girl

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Aug 19, 10 9:21 PM
I tried the demo and thoroughly enjoyed it and will probably purchase.

The music was good. the characters were interesting and the level of skill was not too easy/not too hard. Just right for me. I especially liked the "area clear" message you got when there was nothing more to do in an area. Saved me from an awful lot of wandering around, running my cursor over stuff and saying "what now?". And the length seems decent so that's a plus.

As for the historical accuracy of items...doesn't bother me. Could care less whether a globe or wrench were around in Robin Hood's time..I just want to find the darn things if they are on my list.

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Aug 19, 10 9:43 PM
sunnyglow wrote:Geesh Scarlett 11. This is meant to be fun not a history lesson. Lighten up, girl

History IS fun.

Also, Scarlet was addressing another user's concern about accuracy within the time period, not lecturing for the sake of lecturing. I thought it was fascinating, personally.

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 9:45:13 PM PST

Go to: