meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Aug 30, 10 9:58 AM
meisie99 wrote:I read the comments before demoing the game. I think it's a great game. This is why I think everyone should demo a game before deciding to buy it or not. If I had gone by the comments only, I would not have even tried it. I'm so glad I did. I only have one problem - my screen display. Looks like windows mode instead of full screen. If I can get that fixed, then this is a definite buy for me. The story intrigues me and I don't find the music offensive. There are grammatical errors, but you should see my Russian, or Chinese, or Japanese, or Portuguese....
All in all, I give this game out

I also think this is a great game. Graphics are very nice, and I like the scrolling scenes, similar to Clockwork Man. I also like the lock feature on the items boxes. You can either hide or display what you need to find. I have a 21 inch Acer monitor so there is no problem with full screen mode. Brightness level is also clear and crisp. I love Frogs and Ihogs, so this game is right up my alley. Hopefully, others will give it a chance. I love to find hidden pieces to put together and use creatively to solve problems. This is a buy for me.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 30, 10 10:07 AM

This a nice FROG - a definite buy for me!!!

Graphics have scrolling function and its not too easy.

Happy gaming!

[Post New]by CassieHaze on Aug 30, 10 10:24 AM
Didn't like this game at all. I didn't even finish the free hour trial, deleted it before my free time was up. Disappointing game.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Aug 30, 10 10:41 AM
To quirky for my taste ...Could of been A really nice game,..... had they waited & ironed out the quirks , Take the J outa JOY !!!!!

Meaning that everything that " needs to be said ", ....Was !!!

rahdaisy
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by rahdaisy on Aug 30, 10 10:49 AM
Someone commented:

"I do like the fact that the menu bar drops down out of sight when not in use but am rather puzzled about the little key on it because, although you can click on it and it looks like you are closing a matchbox and then only half the key can be seen, it doesn't appear to do anything at all so if anyone can shed some on that to satisfy my curiosity I would be grateful. "

If you click on the little key, it locks the box in place. Click on it again and it unlocks it so it goes down. You can do that for all ...... inventory, tools, etc. That was all explained in the tutorial.

cinnix
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy

[Post New]by cinnix on Aug 30, 10 11:20 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

cinnix
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by cinnix on Aug 30, 10 11:22 AM
bear with me, fisheez... am wearing my training fins (first post). just need to see where and if this message appears anywhere in this universe.

cinnix
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by cinnix on Aug 30, 10 11:33 AM
second post... hoping to get rid of the quote thingy.

julese53
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by julese53 on Aug 30, 10 12:11 PM
I played the demo for 45 minutes but finally had to stop. When they put dark pieces in black spaces it gets beyond ridiculous trying to find them. This is a no buy for me.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Aug 30, 10 12:22 PM
cinnix wrote:bear with me, fisheez... am wearing my training fins (first post). just need to see where and if this message appears anywhere in this universe.
LOL, cinnix - it does! (actually, your quoting Flounder's msg was your first ;-P) Welcome to posting!

And for the topic: I'll buy this one as DD/when on sale. It's nice IMO, beautiful grafix (I like colours!), not too easy, not too hard - but I had the advantage of reading some of the reviews here before demoing, so didn't have to pull my hair out during the demo (and I did the tutorial <g> ). Thanks, reviewing fishies!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Aug 30, 10 12:33 PM
Robilyn, I'm not sure what you meant by:

Robilyn wrote:It is that darn cursor that keeps me from buying this game. Without it, I would have loved it. But because of the cursor, it is a no buy for me.

If you meant flickering or invisible cursor then:

This advice might be too late for those that already deleted the demo but...

Try turning off all mouse pointer options like cursor shadow, pointer trails, custom cursors, (use Normal Select) Snap To, etc. This simple step has fixed all my BFG cursor problems.

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Aug 30, 10 1:13 PM
I really like FROGs and iHOGS, so it's difficult to explain why I just didn't connect with this game. I really didn't like the characters. I didn't find them cute.... I found them a touch creepy. And the scenes were too static, and the hints never helped.

I played for 20 minutes, but didn't really enjoy it so I deleted it.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 30, 10 1:26 PM
Well It woulda, coulda, shoulda been a good one. It had the potential to be a really good game, but it fell short. The graphics are good, but thats about all. Whats with that huge cursor with the curve? (Small objects but big cursors??) This game in my opinion is a disappointment. Sorry Maximize.

sheaflyin
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheaflyin on Aug 30, 10 1:29 PM
rahdaisy wrote:Someone commented:

"I do like the fact that the menu bar drops down out of sight when not in use but am rather puzzled about the little key on it because, although you can click on it and it looks like you are closing a matchbox and then only half the key can be seen, it doesn't appear to do anything at all so if anyone can shed some on that to satisfy my curiosity I would be grateful. "

If you click on the little key, it locks the box in place. Click on it again and it unlocks it so it goes down. You can do that for all ...... inventory, tools, etc. That was all explained in the tutorial.

My bad....would'nt ya know, the one time I skipped the tutorial there was more to it than,"click this item to add to your inventory". Still didn't like it but thanks for the info.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Aug 30, 10 1:43 PM
I got thru 31 minutes and then quit. A waste of time. Not interesting at all. When I find something it is difficult to tell what it is a piece of. Having to lock the inventory bar and going back and forth between useful inventory and the pieces I'm trying to find was a downer. The dialog is atrocious. Just not a compelling game at all.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Aug 30, 10 1:43 PM
TimeKilla wrote:This is the developer's first try at an HOG and they've done some interesting things. It's story driven, you collect reusable items along the way, and they've really played up the traditional fantasy elements. That's all great.

But wow! It's pretty darn rough around the edges. The controls are clunky, the inventory screen pops up continuously, the dialog can be skipped but not advanced, not all active areas light up, items are hard to click on, and niche areas accessed with the magnifying glass are nearly impossible (those last two could be my widescreen monitor),

Having 4 separate inventory bags plus an "object to find" mini-screen gets old quick. If you open one of the sub-inventory bags, you need to close it, click on the main one and close that to get back to the stuff you still need to find. Awkward.

But even with all that, I'll probably buy this one. It's very pretty, very charming and the inventory puzzles are suitably challenging. Not too many mini-games which is a shame because that would make this a definite buy. The screens scroll nicely. Hints recharge super-fast. I like the story and want to know what happens next. Plus it seems like it might be a decent length. Judging from the walkthrough, it should be about 4 hours long. After the last Haunted Hotel (2 hours, grrrr!) that would be a lovely surprise.

Basically, this game is an adorable mess. I can relate.

I agree 100% timekilla it was so frustrating with that darned bag I quit after about 40 minuts. I have several games I have saved already for next months punchcard so I think I will just wait on it for a DD

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Aug 30, 10 2:48 PM
To start off by giving a nice comment so my post isn't entirely negative, the graphics are crisp and bright. Now for my review. 8 minutes into the game and I've already deleted it. Total FROG but hate the bottom taskbar that keeps disappearing. The pointer is too large and the game itself is definitely for the younger set. I'm sure one of my grandchildren (under age 10) might enjoy the game, but it's definitely not a "buy" for me. As a poster above stated however, it takes all kinds - and variety of games to suit likes and dislikes of it's members is what makes this site a winner. Although this isn't my cup of tea does not give me the right to make anyone that does like the game feel offended.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

A game for those players that don't want their "hand held" throughout the game...

[Post New]by mycatluna on Aug 30, 10 2:52 PM
I personally think this game is great...and having played every hidden object game on BigFish, I can say that this one is indeed challenging. The reason for this is that while you are searching for fragments of objects (and it is a mix of FROG and HOG), there are no sparkles telling you that a piece might be hidden behind a book, or a suit of armor. You, as the player, have to look for logical hiding places and then click on them to find a piece of the object you are looking for. I found this to be the most challenging of all and found myself clicking on all sorts of random objects to see if they would move and reveal what I am searching for. There are also areas that turn into magnifying glasses where you can look behind objects, such as crates and barrels, etc. This means quite a bit of moving your cursor around the screen looking for these hot spots.

I did not find the cursor inhibiting in any way nor did I find the controls to be clunky.

Some players may not like it because this is not a game that holds your hand all the way through. The player has to be completely immersed and invested in this game in order to find all the objects, solve all the puzzles, and locate the many varied "hot spots" throughout the game.

If you are a player that likes a challenge, and appreciates a game that doesn't hold your hand throughout, then you will like and appreciate this game. If you are a player that is looking for something relaxing that doesn't require much thought, then this game is probably not for you.

But it is a definite buy for me. It may be a little "rough around the edges" as one player stated in their forum, but I can overlook that and appreciate the creativity and challenge that this game delivers.

Happy gaming!

-mycatluna

revdebz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by revdebz on Aug 30, 10 3:03 PM
SPOILER ALERT

In addition to the fact that this FROG features a protagonist that is supposed to be 16 years old and looks about 10, the grammar is poor. Please, please, please, game creators...HIRE SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY SPEAKS ENGLISH TO EDIT YOUR TEXT!

[Post New]by czeshirecat on Aug 30, 10 3:09 PM
I don't regret buying this game, but it's been frustrating.
I've had no problems over the cursor, ok it's an odd shape but the pointy bit's where the focus is and once you realize that there's no problem.
I'm surprised people have described it as a child's game, if there was a basic/intermediate/hard rating system then it would definately go into the "hard" zone. The graphics and script are disneyesque so I guess that someone playing demo for a few minutes might class it as "childish" from that.
It's story driven (Tolkien inspired with muddle of other mythologies), and unless you watch the cut scenes between chapters then you wonder where the hell you ended up at at the next one.

Biggest frustrations for me were
1) The inventory/tool box/clue popup. Grrrr. The bag is pretty unresponsive when you click on it due to the constant moving up and down it does. There's a lock on it which doesn't work very well when switching between inventory/clue mode and it seems to turn on/off when you pick things up from the scenery. I also kept switching to the options menu by mistake. In future just use a tab control!
2) It's a FROG (just learned the term from this thread) but some of the hidden objects are too well disguised considering how poor the Hint system is. I needed to use a walkthrough to find about 50% of the objects in some scenes and I HATE using them even once. Black on black means random clicking all over the scenery. Even with walkthroughs some of the parts took several clicks to find.
3)They seemed to select the most difficult/disliked sub-games and several required manual stored drawings of complex runes on bits of paper (or screen shots) rather than being kept in the journal.
4)As seen by some threads, destroying objects after use, before they've been completely finished with in a zone, leads to players panicking and restarting the game (or not paying for the full version)
Otherwise, it's pretty to look at and nicely coded. Some of the localization/spelling needs looking at (what's a "squirell"?)
The only bugs I've come across so far is when clicking on the plaques outside and inside the goblin area. Once I clicked on them, the game wouldn't respond properly and I needed to press escape and shut it down (the game doesn't respond to the mouse but the escape key works ok) Then it took several re-starts to get the correct program flow moving again.

Go to: