sbyrd
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Escape from Frankenstein's Castle

[Post New]by sbyrd on Sep 3, 10 7:40 AM
I played the demo for about 30 minutes and enjoyed it very much..the loading between the scenes didn't bother me and I will be buying this one...thanks BF it was a welcome change from the hidden object games although I enjoy them too

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on Sep 3, 10 9:23 AM
wish I'd read the postings before i wasted my credit i would have known this is a very short game only had a little bit left after trial.

BellaGirl27
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by BellaGirl27 on Sep 3, 10 9:26 AM
Made it through 30minutes of demo and couldnt take it anymore. the rooms back and forth, slow loading, hints not very helpful...this fishie didn't like this game at all. Sorry but this is a for me! Next...

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on Sep 3, 10 9:42 AM
Once again another great story that could have made the game superior but flopped in my opinion. Frankenstein like The Wizard of Oz is a huge story line where the games could have had so much to offer the gamers but didn't deliver. I didn't mind the music even though it was repetitious and that characters were like someone else said, "cartoonish" and I liked the puzzles. What I didn't like was the incessant downloading every time you left a room and it seemed a bit confusing when standing in the hall and in the SAME area was Hannah's Room and the Small Lab. I kept clicking one and it would take me to the other because they were so close together and I would have to wait while it downloaded. I ended up in the I think the Main Hall with the stained glass window puzzle and followed the directions from the walkthrough and went back up to the Alchemy lab and my round "puzzle" piece wasn't even in my inventory and when I walked back through from the Alchemy Lab to the Main Hall, No where that I clicked was it to be found. I went from one room to having it in my inventory to another and it was gone. I still have time left but I think I will just uninstall rather than try to look for something that's not there.

I think the designers need to understand when they deliver awesome games like RTR, Madame Fate and Dire Grove, they have stepped things up a notch for gamers and we grow to expect awesome quality in games like these, especially ones with story lines like Frankenstein. Haven't played Drawn yet so don't have an opinion on that but was really bummed about Frankenstein. Was hoping they would have delivered another great one.....

Does anyone know if they even listen to the comments when people beta test them? I recall someone mentioning they tested it and had commented on the constant loading so I imagine others would have made remarks as well. Wonder why they didn't try to change that if that was the biggest complaint. I know it was annoying me as I view it as lost time to actually play.

I give it 1-1 1/2 stars out of 5.

Maybe next time......

1unicorn
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by 1unicorn on Sep 3, 10 9:55 AM
I too found the loading reeeaaalllyyyy annoying. If this was fixed I might consider it. However, I am not going to finish the demo. Too frustrating.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 3, 10 10:01 AM
The bare bones mechanics of this game make it annoying to play. Scenes constantly must load, you have to pay too much attention to hit the correct direction arrow. Go to the wrong room for that reason, wait for the re load, leave the room, wait for the reload, proceed to your planned destination, re-load. No matter how you spell it , you will hate the giant loading icon withing 20 minutes of play. (My iMac runs at 3.06 GHz -- speedy enough for just about anything.)

That is too bad, because the game has a decent story. I would like to know what's been going on in that castle -- will hero and heroine, modern and ghostly, be reunited?

The artwork is acceptable. Puzzles and tasks encountered during the demo were pretty straightforward. But instead of an enjoyable romp this would be a torturous trek -- for me as well.

edit: typo

Edited on 09/03/2010 at 10:01:57 AM PST

singin
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by singin on Sep 3, 10 12:25 PM
Robilyn wrote:This game could have been a great game. But when you spend all of your time going back and forth to the walkthrough, what's the point. It's a no buy for me.

I agree that it could be a decent game but for the constant loading, even in the same area that you are trying to complete a task, i.e, the sandwich task. Go to kitchen storage, loading. Back to the prep table, loading. Need something else, loading, and so on and on. Not a good use of time.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 3, 10 12:39 PM
I didn't finish the demo. I found the game to be clunky and annoying. It did load slowly and there was no option to play without the custom cursor, which made it all slower.

I didn't care for the gameplay and think the developers could've done a better job with it.

But...I'm sure some people will love the game. I don't.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 3, 10 1:56 PM
I really like this game. At first I didn't like the lack of info, for example I had collected 4 coat hangers in Hannah's room, and didn't know what to do with them - but they came in handy a little later on.

The loading time in between scenes didn't bother me. I liked the card game I can play in order to ask more questions.

What I found a little disappointing is the fact that the game seems rather short. After I finished the 1-hour demo, I was already on level 5. So I don't think I will take much longer than 2 hours max for the whole game - and I am not a very fast player.

I don't think I will buy this game, simply because of the length.

Additional: I forgot to mention that I didn't like the fact that the items in the inventory couldn't be identified by hovering over them and getting a name. Things like the coat hangers are obvious objects, but there were other items I didn't know what they were and therefore didn't know what to do with them.

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 12:19:44 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 3, 10 4:35 PM
Not a bad game so far (only played 30 minutes). Hate the cursor...give us options to use the standard. These custom jobs are slow and take up too much room on the screen. Lot of back and forth, but I click all over the room when I first enter to see if there is anything I need to pick up. Will finish up the rest of my hour and see how long or short it is before deciding to purchase. I like the long games best.

People complain about going in and out to the walkthrough. Do what I do...I cut and paste in Word, change font to Ariel 10, remove the double spaces between each line, click on the pictures and drag them to about half their size. Still quite readable and you save a heck of a lot of paper when you run it off. Yes, it takes a few minutes, but eliminates the back and forth stuff. When I finish the game, I just run the next one on the backside for new games, if I need to use the walkthrough. I haven't used it on this one yet.

[Post New]by dilliedallie01 on Sep 3, 10 6:09 PM
Grrrrr, Fishies, I agree Could have been a really great game, but alas tooooooo much overthinking, and way tooooooo much time loading from room to room I'll pass, and no way to get rid of that annoying cursor, but look forward to more games

Edited on 09/03/2010 at 6:11:32 PM PST

bunnydog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,878 Posts

[Post New]by bunnydog on Sep 3, 10 8:00 PM
I read the reviews and just had to demo this game to see what people meant about the downloading between scenes. It didn't bother me at first, but later I found it really had a negative effect on the flow of the game. After just finishing Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows, this game seems lacking so in many ways. I have to agree with several other fishies.... not a buy for me.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Sep 3, 10 8:03 PM
This is a no for me. this could have been a good game but it spent so much time loading to get from room to room and in and out of the games during that the demo that, I didn't have enough time to see if I really liked the game or not. There are no sparkles and the cursor does not turn into a hand or let you know if you have the item. There is no identification of the items that drop into the inventory. I had a brown block of something that I could not identify go into the inventory. Also there is just too much dialog going on which takes up too much of the game time.
Sorry, not this time

[Post New]by dellinindyp on Sep 3, 10 8:24 PM
I found the game to be interesting but the constant wait to go from room to room took up demo time didnt like that much, dont know what is in the inventory not displayed as you click on an item in your inventory, its just to much going on an no hints I dont know if I LIKE IT or if its just a bore not sure yet let me finish this demo and I will see .

bluedage
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by bluedage on Sep 3, 10 9:37 PM
I liked the demo and the game is interesting. However, it took so long to load each scene that it killed the demo time. I got a good bit done on the game and it was involving. But when you have to wait for it to load to go from one locale to another, then that kills the game for me. However, if you like the game- enjoy! It has a lot of things that I really enjoy in a game-graphics, story line, characters, and it isn't the easiest thing in the world to figure out what to do next.

huggzz
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by huggzz on Sep 4, 10 8:29 AM

What I didn't like is the endless loading between scenes. I couldn't move from one scene to another without the game having to load. That deserved some more attention in developping the game. Custom cursor was sluggish, but I didn't check if it could be turned off .

I agree with you here lovely graphics, but the time it takes to 'load' was it's undoing for me.. Used 40 mins of demo. Take that away, I'll think again.
huggzz

amahaf2
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by amahaf2 on Sep 4, 10 10:19 AM
I really thought I might buy this game, until I noticed that every single time you go from one room or scene to another it always had to load. That really gets old. So I won't be buying it.

weissvonnix
Marlin
Marlin
8,067 Posts

[Post New]by weissvonnix on Sep 4, 10 10:26 AM
This game is probably good for a sale like now, nothing for normal purchase. Wouldn´t give a game credit for it. Yes, the loading between the scenes is a bit annoying, but there are worse things. l.e. the sketches for the dialogue intermissions. Sorry, but that´s doodle. What artist did make that crap???
Seems for me the devs were in a rush to get the game finished and didn´t take the time to make something better than those sketches.
The card game itself is ok, but the questions to ask could have much more variety. Some items are very hard to find and the "hint - system" is something you really need to get used to. There should be at least a little tutorial. l didn´t use the help tab at the main menu and had to sort out myself how this works. The mini games are too easy and three times the same door lock puzzle is simply boring..
The really odd thing is the map. lt is totally useless! Waste of time to add this to the game. The graphics and the story is ok, but to be honest, if there will be a sequel it should be much better. Otherwise l won´t give it a try at all.

So for graphics a = not bad in parts, but not really good
For the rest it´s more a

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Sep 4, 10 11:03 AM
Why did I buy this game? Granted, it was with the sale price, but still. Ugh. Bad decision.

Pros: I can't think of any.

Cons: Unclear/fuzzy graphics. SLOW loading times, even on my fast computer. Easy puzzles. Repetition of easy puzzles. Those darn triangle door lock puzzles were SO easy. I don't understand why someone would even think to put that in an adventure game. The story wasn't particularly compelling, either.

Edited to add: The game was also very short.

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 11:04:17 AM PST

opiesmom
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by opiesmom on Sep 4, 10 11:54 AM
I think I sort of like this one but the very slow loading and reloading every time you leave a room had me quitting within 30 minutes of the demo. Will probably delete but I'll save my reminaing minutes for anotehr time.

Developers - what is it with you guys and the terrible music?

Go to: