bluedage
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Tornado: The secret of the magic cave

[Post New]by bluedage on Sep 3, 10 9:25 PM
I am not the smartest fish in the pond, but when I am almost done by the time the demo is over- this is not for me. I have brothers and none of them bossed me around like that. The English mistakes are ridiculous. Brothers and sisters don't talk to each other like that. This is a very young fish game.

ryanjohn
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by ryanjohn on Sep 3, 10 10:06 PM
I was a beta for this game and told the developers about the grammar and how the kids talk to each other. The mom's conversation was even worse! As for play, believe it or not, I feel the game was better during the beta. The game seems to move slower now. I didn't hate the game though and thought it had great potential if they fixed the problems I had noted.

On a positive note, it was great fun to be a beta.

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

[Post New]by Cherubabies on Sep 3, 10 11:31 PM
I like this Game, Nice Graphics and Gameplay. The only thing I don't like about it is the inane monotonous Music - horrible!

Edited on 09/03/2010 at 11:32:01 PM PST

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Sep 4, 10 1:34 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I'm going to cut my throat but cannot resist expressing an opinion regarding the grammar errors in this game.

In scanning the posts where the game's grammar is criticized, every post that contained more than two sentences had grammatical errors. Mine included. So my thought is we should give some slack to anybody of any language who doesn't get it right. Those with English as their first language make the same, common grammatical mistakes every day so it might be a little difficult for those with French or German or Italian, et al, as their first language to use proper grammar when they have no references to stellar grammar usage by those who are the target customer. Word, WordPerfect, and other word processing programs which contain "grammar checks" do not even come close to being correct, helpful, or a reliable resource for the required tranlations.

And that's JMHO - shoot me later please?

I am not going to shoot you at all. Someone who has 'Goofyduck' as a nickname is just too adorable, gotta love you! Thank you for pointing this whole grammarthing out. After this I will be even more careful with my posts and double-check every word on my online translationsite . I actually bought the game, after reading a post from SandraSwede (other thread). It's fun and rather difficult sometimes.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 4, 10 1:44 AM
I liked this game but it was way too short. Hope the "To be continued" will be longer.

mommytrae
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by mommytrae on Sep 4, 10 2:12 AM
game...well the 10 minutes i could take of it sucked dont know why anyone would buy this glad i didnt

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 4, 10 2:26 AM
Hey goofyduck77--you are so "on the money" w/your comments about some reviewers who come down hard on game developers for occasional slip-ups in translation. I suspect some of these "critics" were asleep during Junior High School English class! I certainly appreciate the time and $ spent by studios (that don't use English as their 1st language) to provide us with entertainment. Grammar (not "grammer") and spelling (not "speling") can sometimes be overlooked, but I don't when it comes to reviews that criticize those very things.

Speaking of the game, I can't really put my finger on it, but it's just not on my purchase list right now. Maybe it's the plotline (I really like a good story)--oh well, perhaps I'll give it another chance. I've already got a lot of very good ones in my queue that I haven't played yet. OK, I gave some more of the demo another chance. The opening menu is nice (especially w/the choice or cursors), but the game went downhill from there. Movement is a bit slow and herky-jerky, and the first screen confused the heck out of me (I've probably played more than 100 HOGs, and this one had me befuddled.) There's an attempt to make the hidden objects resemble those in the "Treasure Seekers" series, but this attempt falls a bit short. I've gotta find "28" playing cards in the 1st scene? I think not! The music is unobtrusive but repetitive. And why does it keep on thundering? Have to start a fire in the fireplace? Where is the firewood? JUst keep clicking till you find it. Too frustrating in the first 10-20 minutes for me to purchase or use a game credit on--sorry.

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 3:19:25 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 4, 10 5:57 AM
I think the style of game play is fantastic and creative - they managed to come up with something a bit different. Using the pop-up or circle HOG search style, but adding that you look for those items in more than one area and the objects are put into an inventory tray until you get back to the area where the "main object" is located - I LOVE THIS!! I am only half-way thru the demo time and so far it isn't too hard (I could have used a better flashlight in the cave and inside the trailer was DARK) but I do get a bit annoyed when I don't find things quite as fast as the game thinks I should and it gives me a "sparkle", QUIT IT. I don't play quickly, I don't want to play quickly and you can't make me play quickly!! LOL

I think the graphics are a bit on the poor side but assume that this was a budget problem when producing the game. This kind of puts me on the fence: I would normally put this in my list of "someday if it's a DD" list, but, on the other hand, I love their style of gameplay here and would love to see them put out another, bit more polished, game (different characters, different scenario perhaps). So, I am in a bit of a dilemma. If we give them our support by buying the game, maybe they can afford to do just that... So, I think I am going to buy this game during this weekend's sale and try to give these developers some support. I REALLY LOVE THE STYLE OF GAMEPLAY HERE.

The grammar doesn't bother me in the least. I do not personally know one single person who uses proper grammar or language all of the time. I know what the characters are talking about and what is expected of me in the gameplay - I don't mind it at all. Call me an oddball, but I kind of like these little quirks in some of the games when they aren't so bad that I have no idea what they want me to find or do and I have encountered a couple of those... this game isn't like that. Cut them some slack people, American-English is a tough language to master for native speakers, I don't understand a lot of the "lingo", it's in a constant state of flux - I would HATE to learn it as a second language (and also be critiqued for it).

Okay, did I imagine it, or did that boy pass gas in the cave after he ate the sandwich? I really need someone to tell me that they heard it too and I didn't imagine it. Please.

Enjoy the sale and shop 'til you drop....

shadowfax

{posted this in another thread too}

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 4, 10 6:28 AM
I would appreciate better translation, but that's never a dealbreaker
for me. As an "English only", I greatly admire anyone who can speak
any other language no matter how fractured.

Since I'm not a big fan of find by shape, that was my first strike.
Story has become a more important element for me lately, and
this one just didn't capture me, thus strike two.
Graphics were hard on these old eyes: strike three.

Not a bad game, but I have this seemingly endless wish list
and limited funds, so this goes on the back burner for me.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Sep 4, 10 7:41 AM
Less than halfway through the demo, and know that it's a "no buy" for me. Fairly boring game play and terrible translation that took me right out of the game. Even with the holiday discount, I'm not interested in buying this game.

Sorry, . This is a definite for me

emerance
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Where's the QA?

[Post New]by emerance on Sep 4, 10 11:08 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else. I couldn't play for more than five minutes.The grammar is atrocious! Fishing tacklings? No Way.

JoHutton
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by JoHutton on Sep 4, 10 12:31 PM
I played the demo until I just couldn't handle the language translation one more minute! I might have bought this game if the developers would have cared enough to hire someone that spoke fluent English to translate it. If they couldn't spend the money to do that then I don't feel like I should spend my money to buy it. It's really too bad as I think it had possibilities.

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Sep 4, 10 1:18 PM
One can be fluent in speaking English. Grammar is another thing. Seriously.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 4, 10 1:54 PM
I too am a grammar nut, but don't really think about it in this case, because I think it's not bad grammar, it's just bad translation. What bothered me more was the couple not wearing helmets on their motorcycles in Frankenstein's Castle. I deleted that game immediately (also because it was a terrible game). I love HOGs and am enjoying this one. Am playing in the "hard" mode and like that the hint button takes more time to fill up. I find the objects not too easy to find, and the story is pretty good, as are the graphics and the puzzles I'll buy at the $4.99 price. Have a great Labor Day Weekend, fellow Gamers!

nameplater
Stingray
Stingray
4,776 Posts

[Post New]by nameplater on Sep 4, 10 2:43 PM
shadowfax wrote:
Okay, did I imagine it, or did that boy pass gas in the cave after he ate the sandwich? I really need someone to tell me that they heard it too and I didn't imagine it. Please.

LOL shadowfax! I heard it too & thought hmmm nice sound effects

[Post New]by schifmom42 on Sep 4, 10 8:25 PM
I wasted $4.99 on this game! what a horrible game, I tried to get into it but was impossable. [removed by moderator]

Edited on 09/14/2010 at 2:48:03 PM PST

texgma
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by texgma on Sep 4, 10 8:27 PM
Not worth the credit or money ,Way too short.
Should give a free credit for the continued story

Graelyn
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Graelyn on Sep 5, 10 8:58 AM
I agree with everyone about the grammar. Catghost, who states that English is not his first language, used better grammar than that used in the game. Being a writer, the grammar thing really bothers me. I did enjoy the trial version, still trying to decide if I will buy. Took me awhile to realize that they were brother and sister. Didn't get that until they were playing cards in the trailer.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Sep 5, 10 10:07 AM
I can't believe that developers, that are this creative, would ruin the entire game, by making it..WAY TO SHORT..that is just unbeliveable to me, what a WASTE.
While I was playing the game, I was thinking now these developers are really talented.
The interaction was so good, and there was a ton of it, you actually felt like you where right there, acomplishing the task at hand, I thought a lot of their idea's where brilliant, which really made this game, so fun to play.
The graphics looked beautiful on my monitor, and I enjoyed the story, so there was nothing about the game, that I disliked.
Yes there where some grammer issue's, but I usually don't let that ruin a game for me, I can figure out what they mean, and that is just for me personally.
But what I can't over look, is how disapointed I was when it ended, I just don't get it, how could the developers flush all of the talent, they put into this game, by not putting in the effort, to give the game a decent length, they ruined it..IMHO .
So instead of 5 stars, it gets ....I sure hope they listen to their customers, if they plan on making future games, if not it will be a NO buy for me, no matter how good it is...SORRY .

reickso
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by reickso on Sep 5, 10 2:11 PM
Did ya'll know that the brother had several serious injuries and could not really perform those tasks. He got injured from the tornado when rv they in flipped over during the tornado? His sister was perfectly safe because she was in the cave. But of course if he did not make her do that in the first place than she would be the one injured. I disagree with someone saying that in 45 minutes she could tell the game was half way over. I did not use the walkthrough because i took the easy route and that clues in it. Look for the yellow ? but i guess that is cheating too. i only had to use at the beginning of each task I did to get the idea of the game yes i know ya'll is not proper grammer but aren't we all just here to have fun? School was over for me 24 years ago.

Go to: