swtndsr2
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by swtndsr2 on Sep 22, 10 12:27 PM
To all the fishes that have bought this game....you can get a full refund. That is what I did. Can't believe that they have still not fixed the problem. Has anyone got a response from the CS about what is the cause of this???

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 22, 10 5:23 PM
atmmts wrote:
debdeb11 wrote:Game crashes for me after every 3 -5 moves from one room to the next. Have also noticed that it crashes within one move or so after looking at the journal. Same problem as others - my save game file is corrupt & I have to start over. The only way I have been able to get ahead in the game is copy my save game file to another folder, then when game crashes, recopy into the saved games folder. This works, but very very very tedious & slow going as I have to save every 3 - 5 minutes in case the game crashes. I am running Windows 7 on an HP notebook that is less than one yr. old. All drivers are up to date, have installed & reinstalled game several times to no avail. Reinstalled flash & shockwave. Have tried running the game with all programs, including background apps, closed, still no luck with the frequent crashing..I have never had a problem with any bf game, very sorry about this one as it is such a good game. I would LOVE to just simply play the game.....I am hoping I will get some answers from tech support & hopefully a resolution.

You've described exactly everything I've also done to try and get this game to work. I have a HP PC <6 mos. old. I e-mailed Cust. Supp. on Sun., the 19th. No reply so far and usually they are pretty quick to respond. This makes me think that BFG techs don't really know what's going on with this @#$&* game either.

Nice to know I'm not alone ~ Anne S.

I received reply from tech support today. They suggested starting from scratch i.e. taking out old user game files from the save games folder as perhaps the copied saved game I keep on working on has some issues. The thing is, I only did that - copied the saved game to another folder - only because of the frequent crashes...but oddly enough I have not had a crash yet after deleting the user data files. I have not gone that far in the game yet, but certainly much further than the other times before it crashed. I can't remember the exact timeframe of what I did when, but wondering if I might have started using the copied save game file, then went & reinstalled flash/shockwave which maybe fixed the initial crash problem, but then still had crashing because of my copied saved game file...anyways, will keep you posted if I have any further issues with crashes, which means this fix isn't working.

On another note, I notice many with the problems seem to have new HP laptops/pc's? Wonder if there is some incompatibility there.

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 5:26:54 PM PST

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 22, 10 10:02 PM
The solution from tech, as per my post right above this, appeared to work & I was quite excited. I got to about halfway through the game, which was way longer than any previous attempt. However in the end it crashed again & gave me the same issue with a corrupt saved game file. I have replied again to tech support advising them, I will post if they give any further ideas as to what I should do.

For the people whose game never starts, but it says that it is running.....

[Post New]by kersplat on Sep 22, 10 10:56 PM
People have been reporting that when they try to run the game it doesn't seem to run, but on further attempts to run the game the client says the game is already running....

This happens to me quite a bit (Windows 7, 2-month-old computer, everything up-to-date) but for some reason when I shut down my Big Fish client, close my (many) Internet browser windows, then restart the game, the game runs and stays open normally.

Oddly enough, this didn't happen on my old XP computer no matter how many windows I had open.

Hope this helps.

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 10:59:47 PM PST

[Post New]by runicNomad on Sep 23, 10 2:47 PM
crashed in bonus game
does anyone have a completed save state xml file they are willing post up or send?

no interest in doing this whole game over again right now

zukibaba
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by zukibaba on Sep 23, 10 5:50 PM
I have been stuck for awhile...I just hate it when I can't figure it out for myself....
so I am in the boiler room, only thing left to do is get firewood, no idea from where.
Also I'm trying to get the key from the other side of the door, I have placed the newspaper to slide in but what else is required.
Items I have in my Inventory list...Lion Key, Saw, Glue, Pool Sticks, not sure where to use these items?
I'm sure if I can get the boiler working which will give me entrance to the garden room more will make sense....I think?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

[Post New]by dixie111 on Sep 24, 10 5:50 PM
This game is a bummer.

benchivo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by benchivo on Sep 25, 10 4:21 PM
I got all the way to chapter 6 when the game crashed while changing scenes to go back and insert all statues. Then file corrupted and now I have to start all over without finishing. I reinstalled but nothing had saved. I'm so sad so I began again this time trying to do it in the expert mode. Now I'm stuck again trying to get the cage key but the hidden object scene won't give it to me. I'm afraid I might have to start again but at least I'm not that far into the game. Oh well, I'll give it a rest and try again tomorrow.

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Sep 25, 10 7:25 PM
snoopysue wrote:I am also having the 'drops out and now has a corrupted save file' problem.

I am running on a 2 month old HP laptop - Windows 7, fully updated.

Has anyone tried running in XP compatability mode ?

I have a Dell computer running XP, and I also got booted out of the game suddenly and then received the corrupted save file message. So I don't know if running in XP compatability mode will make any difference. Sorry.

FOLLOW UP: I was finally able to finish the game by doing the following things:

1. Uninstalled game with EasyUninstaller, not the game manager.
2. Searched computer for any files related to this game and deleted them, emptied Recycle Bin.
3. Downloaded and installed game using Chrome browser which allowed me to Run the installation file right from there, as opposed to Firefox which makes me save the file to my computer first.
4. Started game and made sure I exited it completely and even closed the game player at least once an hour, or whenever the game started slowing down.
5. Just to be on the safe side, I located the game data file and saved a copy of it to a secondary drive or a flash drive each time I exited the game.

The game did crash once when I didn't exit soon enough after a slow-down; kicked me completely back to the desktop, closed the game and game manager both. I figured it would give me the Corrupted File message when I restarted, but amazingly it did not. I was able to continue playing, and as soon as I was sure all was OK I exited and saved as above. Then restarted with all OK.

I did notice another glitch though, I think. All the way through the game the music played was the same as the music from EAP's Murder in the Rue Morgue! (I had just replayed that one before starting this one, so I recognized it.) When I was able to access the Extra Content, only one of the three sound tracks would play, and I'm almost sure it was a different song than I'd ever heard in the game. The other two were just blank, although the indicators tracked across as though the songs were playing, and they showed the sheet music page image next to the players.

I was able to complete the extra play content in a half-hour or less. Add that to the trouble it took to manage to play the game at all, and then the messed up or lack of sound tracks, and I am really not very happy with this Collector's Edition. But I hope my methods above help somebody to get through the game.

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 7:34:51 PM PST

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 26, 10 4:01 PM
I am still trying to get this game to run properly. Tech support has been very helpful, but they have not been able to solve this game crashing/corrupt file problem yet. I have managed to play (and replay 3X) from beginning to about half way through - where the telescope & secret stairwell are. From then on in it starts crashing. I am slowly progressing only because I am copying my saved game files to a separate folder, so when the game crashes & I get a corrupt saved game, I recopy those saved games back in. However it is very frustrating. The latest suggestion I got from tech was to run the game as a program administrator (in the game compatibility tab), but that has not helped. They ran a Dr. Felix and verified everything on my computer is up-to-date. It is really too bad, as it is a great game. If it wasn't so good I would have given up a long time ago. If I ever get a solution to fix my game, I will post, in case it helps others.

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues her

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 26, 10 4:03 PM
runicNomad wrote:crashed in bonus game
does anyone have a completed save state xml file they are willing post up or send?

no interest in doing this whole game over again right now

If I ever get that far I will send message you. I am keeping copies of saved games every 5 minutes or so due to my game crashing so often, so I will definitely have a saved game at that point. It's just taking me forever to get there......

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

Corrupted profile

[Post New]by togood2be on Sep 27, 10 5:27 AM
My profile was corrupted. Finishing chapter 2, the game died and my profile is gone. I tried to create new profile and it would not work.
Restarted and I managed to create a new profile, but I still have to start over again... very frustrating since it is very long and involved to get where I was. If it happens again I will be asking for a refund.

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues her

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 28, 10 11:45 AM
This is from another thread that has since been locked:

"Re:Is there going to be a fix?
by bfgArnoStyx on Sep 25, 10 9:16 AM
Hey Fishies,

I'm sorry to hear that so many of you are having troubles with the game crashing and not saving your progress. Some other players have had some success checking to make sure that they have the proper privileges when playing the game. Please take a look at this help article for more information:

Save Errors

If you would like further help, please contact Tech Support and if you could inform the rep of the steps you've already been able to take, including any specific error messages you're receiving, that would be very helpful! " etc.

Moderator: you might want to repost that message here since this is stickied & the other is not. It would be helpful for those checking in on the status of the technical issues.

Having said that, I have done all of the above as suggested by tech support & still no solution. Hope to hear back from them again soon.

Edited on 09/28/2010 at 2:01:34 PM PST

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Sep 28, 10 2:01 PM
I am now at a standstill with the game crash/corrupted save game fix, as after the suggestion to run the program as an administrator did not work for my system, tech support has advised today that they have no further suggestions as it appears to be a game bug. They have advised that they can refund me at any time, but alternatively I can wait for a game update. I have chosen to wait for the update at this time, and if nothing happens within a couple months I will then ask for a refund.

I would certainly recommend anyone who is having problems with this issue to contact tech support. They were very helpful. In my case the problem could not be fixed, but that does not mean that in another person's circumstance that they might not get it to work for you.

Hopefully the developers will provide a game update soon. I rather impatiently await

[Post New]by Snussie on Sep 29, 10 8:09 AM
Also keep crashing in the bonus game with "Dark Tales Black Cat has stopped working" message.

Fixed: checked the log, apparently it had a misnamed file in the game. Renamed, everything works.
Have the xml of bonus game 2 rooms in, if anyone's interested.

Edited on 09/29/2010 at 8:26:36 AM PST

[Post New]by BillAttw on Sep 29, 10 1:00 PM
In Chapter 3, I am trying to get a sack by the fountain. To place me, refer to clue 36/111. There is supposed to be a hidden object game at this point, but there is none there. How else can I get the sack?

[Post New]by mjpepe on Sep 29, 10 7:01 PM
would really like to play this game but I can't log back on it because it says access denied, how do I get around that?

[Post New]by xtranicedeb on Sep 30, 10 11:09 AM
Can you please tell me which folder my saved games should be in? I can't seem to locate. Thanks.

benchivo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by benchivo on Sep 30, 10 4:48 PM
Tried the Dr. Felix fix and still game crashed....again. Tired of trying and frustrated because it was an awesome game. But thanks Big Fish for refund. Great customer service.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 30, 10 6:21 PM
I have finished the game from the collector's edition and I can not play the bonus adverture. It isn't even listed but on the stratgy guide it shows it. What's Up?

Go to: