Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 17, 10 2:30 AM
When I started this game, I got a black screen in the study. I returned to the menu and restarted playing. The second time the study was visiable. Sadly this was no a great start. The gameplay is standard, except for the fact that you can't pick up stuff early which is handy since no one likes to go back and forth to pick up stuff that was lying on the ground. The puzzles were easy. The graphics are nice, but not amazing. All in all this game wasn't all that.

It's a B. Nice graphics and easy puzzles.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Sep 17, 10 11:01 PM
I like the game a lot and am savoring every moment of play. I am surprised at all of the negative comments and comments about this being boring. I guess I'm not that hard to please if it resembles an adventure game, or an IHOG or FROG that is a little out of the norm.

I just started the final chapter and I will admit I have skipped a couple of mini games. This is a good game for a rainy afternoon.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I finally got around to finishing the game and glad to see it will be continued with a sequel!

Edited on 09/19/2010 at 11:04:22 PM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Sep 18, 10 6:57 PM
Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest (HOPA)

The Celestial Quest does not have typical hidden object scenes - they're more adventure-esque than anything else. You don't have a list of items to find, but rather a list of tasks. ie. Find 12 puzzle pieces, find the secret door, turn off the lasers. There are intermittent mini-games that tend towards the easy side, but not insultingly so.

Mudrock's designation of Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure is close, but I'd lean more towards calling it an Adventure-Puzzle.

You have two difficulty levels: Normal and Advanced. I chose Advanced for my demo, but accepted the offer for a tutorial. I do recommend starting this game on Advanced mode, even for beginners, as it's pretty intuitive. Even on advanced mode, the cursor turns into a hand whenever you "mouse-over" items of interest, so I can't imagine the Normal mode being anything but annoyingly easy. At least, that was my first impression. As I progressed, I got stuck... on something that was staring me right in the face Lucky me, there is a HINT button. It takes a while to recharge, but what fun would it be if it refilled instantly?

The story beginning is a bit abrupt, thrusting you into the middle of what seems to be an established plot. If I didn't know better, I'd be looking for a part 1. Once you find the journal, read it to get the back story. There are two tabs in there, so be sure to check them both.

The music is not The Clockwork Man 2 outstanding, but then, few are. It is non-invasive and helps to make the game a bit more immersive, so I left it on for the ambiance.

As for graphics they suit the plot and the method of gameplay. I like that this game is not the formulaic "search 3 rooms, move to new area" - you have multiple areas to explore at once, but not an overwhelming amount, either.

Overall I would rate this as an enjoyable adventure game

EDIT: Ah yes, I did forget to mention one thing: This IS one of those games where you periodically have to break things to progress in the game. So NOT realistic, but I still enjoy the game

Edited on 09/19/2010 at 11:37:45 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 19, 10 2:43 PM
Wow, this is a beautiful game! I'm really enjoying the game play but the artwork in this really makes it stand out from all the rest. And those monkeys in Brazil made me smile.

[Post New]by snoozanwillow on Sep 21, 10 8:52 PM
Mmmm not for me but if you are new to HOG games then this one is fine. For me it was very boaring and to easy with the cursor turning into a hand when a required object is found..........so really no need to look to hard just cruise around with the cursor....

[Post New]by flamey50 on Sep 23, 10 8:37 PM
I loved this game! It had beautiful graphics, was relatively easy (I play to become absorbed, not frustrated) and it had lots of levels and was whimsical vs. serious, I thoroughly reccommend it for those of you who want hidden object with some adventure elements that aren't so tough that you give up.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Sep 23, 10 8:50 PM
I guess I've gotten good enough at this gaming stuff to become picky. The games were very easy; I didn't have to skip any. The storyline was pleasant and the graphics nice, the music wasn't annoying but I always turn it down as music on games is always too loud for me.

It could present a bit more of a challenge, I must say. If they'll soup it up more I will probably buy the sequel. But it had lovely graphics and made for a nice couple hours play. The "Vasco de Gamba" ghost was a nice touch.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 25, 10 9:26 AM
A bit on the easy side but really a nice game overall. A definite buy for me.

lynmo
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by lynmo on Sep 26, 10 5:38 PM
This is an absolutely delightful game. What fun it has been to play it!!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Oct 1, 10 7:24 AM
Aside from some very frustrating technical issues, this was a good and fun game - good graphics, adventure elements and length. The story itself was not particularly engaging to me for some reason, but the game was enjoyable overall.

However, I was not able to finish the game because towards the end of the last chapter it froze after a mini gears game. I exited the game and re-entered - still frozen, uninstalled and re-installed, then got a file corrupt message and all of my progress to the end of the game was lost. I've contacted customer support, etc., but I don't plan on playing the whole game over any time soon, just to get to see the end, so I am very disappointed in this otherwise enjoyable game.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Oct 3, 10 4:22 AM
I tend to agree with the large majority of positive comments about this one. It does a pretty good job of combining hidden objects with puzzles and adventuring (didn't Mudrock coin "HOPA"?) The opening menu has good choices, which I'm certainly in favor of, the graphics are very nice as are the sound effects, and the music fits the settings well (although I did turn down the speakers just a tad). The mini-games (particularly in the beginning, in the house) are tried-and-true, been-there, done-that--not too original and not too tough. Normal or Advanced mode with tutorial option always gets my vote, as does game- or system-cursor. I'll probably use one of my punch-card credits on this entertaining game.

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 4:23:09 AM PST

cohiba
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by cohiba on Oct 7, 10 6:17 AM
I cannot remember having enjoyed a game quite so much as I did The Celestial Quest .. the graphics were amazing - so very clear and perfect. the story line was fascinating and it gave so much pleasure .
The game loaded very quickly and nothing at all went wrong.. I wish there was another like this .. it was said "to be continued" and I cant wait.
thanks ..
cohiba

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Oct 9, 10 1:45 AM
I was disappointed that the game did not expand to a true full screen, but I am enjoying it, nonetheless. The hints come quickly, so I haven't been frustrated. The scenes are not dark like many others lately, so I am enjoying that. The graphics of the hidden items could have been better (the increased screen size may have taken care of that issue), but with the fast hints, it wasn't a problem. The portal scenario is a bit trite, but I didn't mind using one of my credits to "purchase" this. It has been a nice diversion, even though the minigames are identical to most other adventure games. I would call this an easy adventure, and if the screen would have expanded more, I would suggest it to beginning adventurers.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Nov 2, 10 1:59 PM
I finally got around to playing this game and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was a lot better than some of the games offered in the past couple of days. Now I am wondering why I didn't play it sooner.

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest

[Post New]by miniscrum99 on Nov 4, 10 5:53 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jan 6, 11 6:14 AM
I just finished the demo and will definitely be buying this one. I read other reviews that said it was boring and the were technical issues. I never had a problem and thought the game very interesting. It was fast paced, has good graphics and the mini games are challenging enough. The music changes depending on the area you are in so you may find some annoying. It never matters to me as I tend to black out any noise anyway I really liked the fact that I wasn't stuck in a house going room to room or repeating **** scenes. I would say that the length is good. I don't play to see how fast I can complete. I just take my time and enjoy. I would say that for me, not skipping mini games, this would be over 5 hours. For what it's worth I would give this a 41/2 out of 5.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 10, 11 9:50 AM
Bought this game ages ago and rediscovered it when I checked my purchases today and started to play it. I quite like it, nice and relaxing. But I will check the walkthrough in order to see if I missed something or if the game froze. I'm trying to open the cave, got rid of the caterpillars and I can go backward or forward, I'm just stuck here. All I can do is going back to the menu...

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Feb 27, 11 1:29 PM
Stevihj wrote:When I started this game, I got a black screen in the study. I returned to the menu and restarted playing. The second time the study was visiable. Sadly this was no a great start. The gameplay is standard, except for the fact that you can't pick up stuff early which is handy since no one likes to go back and forth to pick up stuff that was lying on the ground. The puzzles were easy. The graphics are nice, but not amazing. All in all this game wasn't all that.

It's a B. Nice graphics and easy puzzles.

I also had a pitch black screen in the study during the demo. I exited the game and then had no problems when I came back in. It wasted a lot of my demo time because I was wondering if that was how the game was supposed to go then I came and read this particular post on the comments and review and felt relieved that it was not how the game was supposed to go because I was randomly clicking on a pitch dark screen and nothing was happening, LOL! Well, the rest of the game went off without a hitch but I will agree with what some of the other gamers are saying that it's more of an adventure game and less of a HOG. I might be more inclined to buy it if it comes out on a DD (Daily Deal).

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 28, 11 3:26 AM
Glad I tried the demo as I seem to be one of the few who didn't like it. I thought it was a bit young for me and too easy. Although the graphics are nice and clear, the objects to find do seem a bit small. No buy.

Annesley
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Annesley on Apr 1, 11 12:28 PM
Hi fishies, O!! this is a no no for me, from the beginning there are tech issues, the objects will not pick up, this is a waste of time, not so great,will not buy thanks guys

Go to: