gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Twisted Lands: Shadow Town Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gameslvr on Sep 23, 10 10:53 AM
Can't wait to try this game after reading all the comments. As for the correct usage of words - it is really annoying to anyone who has a good English background. As stated, "piece" not "peace" is the correct usage. As for typo's --- the older I get my fingers sometimes seem to have a mind of their own and I find myself making a lot of them so I can understand a slip or two of the finger!

Derba
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by Derba on Sep 23, 10 11:30 AM
BossBrat wrote:This is a large game and the reason for the limited free play I'm sure. I noticed, right off, that people who create video games still don't know how to spell! In the very first scene the woman says something along the lines of "I've said my piece", obviously the incorrect spelling of the word in the context of what she was saying. "Peace" would have been the word to use instead. Gee, do these people get actually make all this money with not enough education to know which word to use in a sentence? The answer is obviously 'yes', lol.

I bought the game without playing the demo and that's getting to be a bad habit of mine and I have to stop. This is an 'okay' game, but nothing special or 'scary' about it. I saw a ghost - woohoo! Every new game seems to have its share of those. Early in the game I've encountered nothing but hidden objects and a few things to pick up and use. The music is a little creepy sounding and the graphics are pretty good. I saw a lot of screen shots on the site I go to read reviews and previews of games and since I can't say the name w/o getting censored, it's 2 words. The first is what we play and the second is a small, usually round structure found in some yards or parks, lol. Hope that makes it easy enough to figure out what I mean. You might take a look if you want to see some of the screen shots. Oh, and it added that the developers said the CE would add about 25% more game play, so that's not too bad I suppose.

One thing I've noticed that I don't like, though. Every time I click on an object it acts like I double click, which I don't. It doesn't penalize or anything, just noticed it. You have a choice, under 'options' for 'easy' play, where the areas of interest will sparkle if you choose it and to turn off the custom cursor as well. Giving it a 4 of 5 so far.

Derba
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by Derba on Sep 23, 10 11:31 AM
Sorry to disappoint, but "piece" is used correctly in the sentence.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Sep 23, 10 11:44 AM
irish_peg wrote:Is probably a buy for me as well. But need to wait till I can start new punch card. I do think if you purchase more than your alottment on punchcard your a good customer and it should carry over. Would love to see more MCF Ravenhurst series also. Loved those as well. Happy playing all.

I agree with you irish_peg. Would like to see my punchcard carry over. I would predict that it would benefit BFG.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 23, 10 11:47 AM
To "say your peace" means to say that which will satisfy some important issue or at least satisfy the need to let it be known.

To "say your piece" means simply to say "that thing you want to say" and it could be as simplistic as that.

Either work, but they have different sentiments.

Anyway, about the game.... ...I like it so far. Not sure yet whether or not I will wait for the regular version or buy the CE, but I've enjoyed what little I have played.

Izziewizz
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by Izziewizz on Sep 23, 10 11:51 AM
joyce2121 wrote:Hi ancientpeas and welcome to the pond.

Don't let the grammer police throw you off, they are such a small
group and easy to ignore. I personally read posts for content and I
enjoyed your review very much.

Please come back often.

With all due respect, Joyce, that should be "grammar" police.

Edited on 09/23/2010 at 11:51:54 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Sep 23, 10 11:55 AM
You know, I really like the game. But, and it's a big but. If BFG would let us rollover our punchcards to the next month I would buy this today.
And here comes the but, without the rollover, and having only 2 games to go for 3 punchcards, I think I will wait and get a couple of regular games.
Wait! My point is that by then, the novelty will have worn off and I predict that I will then wait for the SE.
What do you think BFG?

Love the game! As for the CE? (see above)

(edited for spelling, alot of that going on today )

Edited on 09/23/2010 at 11:57:20 AM PST

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 23, 10 12:01 PM
BossBrat wrote:This is a large game and the reason for the limited free play I'm sure. I noticed, right off, that people who create video games still don't know how to spell! In the very first scene the woman says something along the lines of "I've said my piece", obviously the incorrect spelling of the word in the context of what she was saying. "Peace" would have been the word to use instead. Gee, do these people get actually make all this money with not enough education to know which word to use in a sentence? The answer is obviously 'yes', lol.

"I've said my piece" seems correct to me. Don't know in what context "said my peace" would be used. That said, once again I'm reading great reviews at work and can't wait to get home to try it. Can't tell you how many games I've bought this month - yes I can, 2 CEs and 5 others. Never bought that many in one month before! Don't tell me I now have to buy another one! My pocketbook is running dry! Will post again tonight, after playing the demo, but based on these reviews, guess I'm in for it!

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Sep 23, 10 12:07 PM
Wow! VERY intregueing-- uh, intreguing-- uh, intregueng ---- well, interesting game! Not sure if I'm willing to pay a CE price for it but a great game nontheless.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 23, 10 12:08 PM
This game gets better as it goes along. Am really enjoying it but unfortunately have to wait until Oct. to buy. Would also like to see the punch card carry over.

petal62
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by petal62 on Sep 23, 10 12:08 PM
an hours demo i only got 45 mins as i had cleared the beta test to me an hours an hour i agree that bf are taking advantage of us i cant afford the collecters version so i will wait for normal one all in all i did enjoy it music very creepy had to turn volume down as im on my own ,good story line good graphics xxxx happy gaming

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 23, 10 12:19 PM
gameslvr wrote:Wow! VERY intregueing-- uh, intreguing-- uh, intregueng ---- well, interesting game! Not sure if I'm willing to pay a CE price for it but a great game nontheless.

It's "nonetheless." Sorry, couldn't resist.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 23, 10 12:23 PM
Hey ancientpeas--great comments for your 1st post as a reviewer, and as joyce2121 so aptly said, don't worry about the "grammer" (or is that "grammar") police. Content and thoughtfulness are what matter IMHO. This game is a very worthwhile CE, as was the latest Edgar Allan Poe release. And I certainly agree with you about Golden Trails--could've been a CE but wasn't, although I would have bought it if it was. Keep on posting!

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Sep 23, 10 12:58 PM
I thought this forum was for reviewing a game for likes or dislikes of a new game -- regardless of the fact that it might be a CE -- not for for complaining about CE's!!!!

Many members were so happy so see the price for CE's lowered to 13.99 (just review all the posts on the forum and all he kudos to BF for taking that action) many, many posts to testify to that. Now you are still complaining!!! Get a grip!!! If you don't want to purchase the CE then wait for the SE but quit complaining on a thread that's supposed to be for reviews of a newly released game.

Just my opinion!!!

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Sep 23, 10 1:17 PM
Then go back to school to teach your grammar -- many of us overlook those things especially when it comes to a games!! If you don't like it then don't play it but PLEASE don't try to provide an English lesson on the Forums.

wolfrun_cb1
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by wolfrun_cb1 on Sep 23, 10 1:19 PM
I like this game a lot but I'm still not sure if I like it enough to buy the CE. After all the problems I've had with the Victorian Mysteries game this one is a dream of a game. I love Alawar games and have never been disappointed with anything they have put out.

Happy gaming everyone!!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Sep 23, 10 1:40 PM
sinshack wrote:I kind of like the intersting "twist" with the walk-through. It only give you hints up to the area you are working on - you can flip ahead pages to find out what's going on later in the game..

Duh - never mind. That was the journal, not the walkthrough. Like I said, I'm easily confused.

So far I'm having a blast with this game - I only had to hit the walkthrough a couple of times (the cobra was one) so I'm feeling superior in intellect. That feeling will last until the next time I get stuck, probably in another 20 minutes.

Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Sep 23, 10 1:43 PM
addictedtofish wrote:I think BF should put out both versions of the game on the same day although perhaps they already know that most of us would only buy the original version - they're taking advantage of our addiction knowing some of us can't wait for the smaller version -perhaps we should all get together and refuse to buy the collector's editions.
What do you other 'fishies' think?

I think I'll keep buying the CEs because..... First and foremost, these games cost money to produce. And if a game makes a profit, that profit can then go towards making the next game better. I agree that the wallpaper, concept art, music, etc. aren't worth the extra money. That said, when these games started out as CE lots of people complained about that very issue and said that they wanted extra game play. The developers are listening because most of the newer CEs do have extra game play.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 23, 10 1:51 PM
I've played the full demo and I have to say that there is something about the game that is just not right with me or maybe for me.

Perhaps the storyline wasn't properly introduced or set because it seems somewhat disjointed (a couple on a boat with girl dressed to the nines ((spike heels??))--guy finds a relic--flash!--shipwreck--girl gone. Guy now marooned on ghostly, foggy island).

I played in challenge mode (without sparkles and tutorial) and using no hints, but I still didn't find it very challenging. The puzzles weren't very puzzling (I admit, I play these games for the puzzles) and well, I just didn't feel compelled to want to play past the demo. (And no, a pretty woman who was driven to eat raw fish didn't change that). I don't want to spoil any more of the story for those who haven't played the game or the demo.

I think the graphics are good--very good. But I found the background music a bit annoying and not all of it fitting the mood of the story.

This is just my opinion of the game after playing the demo. I'll keep reading the reviews and perhaps those of people who complete the game can change my mind.

eta-for clarity

Edited on 09/24/2010 at 8:08:12 AM PST

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Sep 23, 10 2:54 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to pop in again and remind everyone to be respectful to one another. So let's be sure to discuss the subject matter (whether it be grammar, spelling , likes or dislikes about the game ) rather than personal remarks. If negative personal remarks continue, comments may be edited or removed. Please contact a moderator if you find anything offensive as per our FAQ and General Rules.

Thanks for understanding!

bfgTigris

Edited on 09/23/2010 at 2:58:10 PM PST

Go to: