karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for King Arthur

[Post New]by karen876 on Sep 26, 10 12:28 PM
I will be buying the game for a few reasons.
There is no hand-holding (which I hate) and so, therefore, no hint system in the first few rounds. Way too many people are saying that they have nearly finished a game in the Demo time. The reason being that they use the hint system or the built-in strategy guide over and over again. To me, this is not even trying to play a game. I try to use no hints at all (and a walkthrough only when I am totally stuck) and so kudos to the devs for at least trying this.
I see this being a long game that is worth my money.
The graphics are good and clear and the music fitting. I just hope that people will give this a go and not just totally dismiss it because of the bad reviews .

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Sep 26, 10 12:34 PM
My personal observations and comments:

I think the developers shot themselves in their collective feet when they didn't give any hints for the two opening chapters. In fact, there's little/no guidance for procedure or game play. It seems as if many gamers said "the heck with this," and decided not to buy.
The story is really interesting, but the slow s-p-e-l-l-i-ng out is almost a deal breaker.
This is a traditional HOG and now that the forum is available, HOGgers may be willing to give it a chance.
The hints are awkward to use -- the only ones I found useful were Vision and Visibility. In fact, I'm not entirely sure yet that I really understand the methodology behind the runes. Why not just give us hints?
The only way to pause the game that I have found is to use the CTRL+ESC keystroke combination. Maybe there are other ways, but this works.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Sep 26, 10 12:45 PM
this one is a BIG STINKER no buy here

Four20
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Four20 on Sep 26, 10 12:56 PM
An Odd FYI for whomever. When I clicked on the "get tips in the forum" button it took me to a search of "King Arthur" and I had to weed through all the King Arthur posts to find this thread. No biggy because I know how to find stuff, but may be a problem for others.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Sep 26, 10 1:03 PM
Four20, I was wondering, too, where the regular forum link is.

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Sep 26, 10 1:26 PM
Four20 wrote:An Odd FYI for whomever. When I clicked on the "get tips in the forum" button it took me to a search of "King Arthur" and I had to weed through all the King Arthur posts to find this thread. No biggy because I know how to find stuff, but may be a problem for others.

I think this happened because at the start there wasn't a King Arthur forum yet. I looked for it this morning and it didn't exist, so all the link could do was take me to the search page. But now that the forum DOES exist, they should change their link...

katmandan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by katmandan on Sep 26, 10 1:53 PM
I started playing the demo but 2 of my cats got into a knock-down, drag-out hissy fit and by the time I broke it up and bandaged my wounds (they came out of it with only their dignity ruffled.) I only had about fifteen minutes left. (Waaaaa!)

What I did play of the game was a bit of a disappointment: I, too, would have liked to have poked Merlin with his staff and the sparkles were there in the fearless mode so there was no challenge. Other than that, I liked the art and the music.

I think it would be good for kids and beginners.

[Post New]by ladoga on Sep 26, 10 2:03 PM
where is the star in the first seen?

[Post New]by slynsand on Sep 26, 10 2:08 PM
Boy, this game is the worst I have ever played I wasted 15 minutes I will never get back Then listening to some overpaid person droning on for five minutes before I even got to the first screen! I couldn't even find all the pieces of the staff even with them sparkling at me I gave in and deleted at 15 minutes, I've got better things to do!

Anyway, rant over. I hope all you people that like the game have fun

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Sep 26, 10 2:16 PM
i actually like this game, it is very relaxing and i love merlin's voice over and enjoy him telling me the story. i also agree that there should have been some type of hint system on the first 2 scenes but thanks to cherb i finally found the star.

i like the hint system with the runes, if you look on the bottom left of your screen where your list is you will see a rune manual and it gives you the order of the runes to find, if you don't find the right colors it will say rune already found. you can only collect the runes if you used that hint. the objects aren't really that hard to find, some of them are very well hidden. the music is not annoying.

it did take me about 20 to 25 minutes on the first 2 scenes and i am not sure how many different scenes there are so i am not sure on length.

this will be a buy for me but not until the first of the month as i have already filled 4 punch cards.

i give this game 3 out of 5

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 26, 10 2:17 PM
I am so puzzled by this developer’s approach to game mechanics. This game is by Moon Cake, the same developer who gave us L. Frank Baum’s The Wizard of Oz. It seems that the premise of their games is a good one. They are taking very well known stories and developing a game around these popular classics. Since the stories themselves already have a huge fan base you would think that the games would have a built in advantage from the word go.

Unfortunately fans of a good book or movie are expecting a game that will match or at least come close to the quality of the story the developers are using as the basis of their game. In the case of the Wizard of Oz game, the game was so awful that fans were embarrassed and shocked that a game developer could degrade their beloved classic so thoroughly.

The King Arthur game is not quite as bad as the Wizard of Oz game but that is not saying much. When most game players start a new game they are expecting good things. They want to like new games. They want to buy new games. They are eager to begin the journey into a new adventure. This game does several things in the first hour of play to dampen any enthusiasm a game player might have had as they started the game.

During the tutorial many of the items to be found sparkle, so there is no skill whatsoever needed to find those items. The tutorial does not say whether this sparkling help will continue only for the tutorial period or will continue for the entire game. Then on the flip side of the coin, there are some items that are very difficult to find and there are no hints available if a player gets stuck finding one of these well hidden items. This odd way to construct a tutorial has left many people scratching their heads.

If you persevered beyond the tutorial you are presented with a scene where you have to find hidden objects in a scene while diagonal rain constantly streams across the screen. Most game players like to be challenged in a game but there is a fine line between challenging elements in game play and things that are just irritating and unpleasant. The rain screen noise falls into the latter category.

continued ....

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 26, 10 2:18 PM
A hint system does show up after the tutorial but there is little explanation of how it works. You basically have to stumble upon the hint system and try them out to see what they do and if you pay close attention you might be able to figure out how to recharge the hints. I am glad to see a new innovative hint system introduced in this game, but since it is not the same old comfortable hints system we are accustomed to, the developers should let the game players know how to use it.

Another irritating quality of the game is how the printed dialogue is scrolled out at an annoyingly slow pace. Most people like to read the text quickly and get back to the game play. We are not allowed to read at our own pace, which is not a huge negative but just another annoyance that is not needed.

One of the mini-games that I encountered in the one hour demo involves clicking on a squirrel as it pops in and out of various holes on a tree, with the goal of collecting pieces of a necklace. This particular mini-game is similar to the Whack-A-Troll game in MCF RTR and in my opinion is even worse. The only saving grace for this mini-game was that it has a skip option. But I don’t buy games so that I can skip the mini-games.

The one hour demo should draw you into the game and leave you wanting more but with so many unexplained or unpleasant or negative things packed into the first hour of play I will not be surprised if many game players pass on this one.

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Sep 26, 10 2:42 PM
First turn off was no way to skip the voice over and slow text. I am a fast reader and also am not interested in listening to someone read something slower than my three year old.

Second - needing to find everything in the first level to proceed but no hint - I spent 12 minutes trying to find the lizard and simply gave up.

HOG games are generally a waste of time anyway for me but when they have hints then it is possible to at least give the hour a chance.

After wasting 4 mintues waiting for the introduction to go by and being bored at that point and then being unable to get past the first level I give this a 10 thumbs down.

More money saved this month - I am doing well this year - having only come across three worthwhile games all year.

Halotop
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Halotop on Sep 26, 10 2:47 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I just finished my third twelve and I am finding this game quite relaxing. I actually enjoy Merlin's voice, and haven't yet been tempted to hurry him along...on the contrary, I found myself getting into the spirit of the game. I feel as if I am starting out on a magical adventure, and only stopped to go ahead and buy the game. I guess you just have to be in the right mood for something that is not quite as frenzied. It kind of reminds me of the voice in Drawn...just draws you in...if you are willing to let it I haven't tried the hint system yet, and am just starting out in the forest, so I am going to go back to it. I may change my mind, but at the moment, I think I am really going to enjoy this one.

I am wanting to buy this one...BUT I can't find the weight... last item for me on the second **** play... since you played it alrready...please tell me.....

I also found that I can click on crowns... and collect them... anyone else find this?? and/or know why???

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 2:50:19 PM PST

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 26, 10 3:24 PM
LizzieK wrote:I am so puzzled by this developer’s approach to game mechanics. This game is by Moon Cake, the same developer who gave us L. Frank Baum’s The Wizard of Oz. It seems that the premise of their games is a good one. They are taking very well known stories and developing a game around these popular classics. Since the stories themselves already have a huge fan base you would think that the games would have a built in advantage from the word go.

Unfortunately fans of a good book or movie are expecting a game that will match or at least come close to the quality of the story the developers are using as the basis of their game. In the case of the Wizard of Oz game, the game was so awful that fans were embarrassed and shocked that a game developer could degrade their beloved classic so thoroughly.

The King Arthur game is not quite as bad as the Wizard of Oz game but that is not saying much. When most game players start a new game they are expecting good things. They want to like new games. They want to buy new games. They are eager to begin the journey into a new adventure. This game does several things in the first hour of play to dampen any enthusiasm a game player might have had as they started the game.

LizzieK,

Thank you for taking the time to put my thoughts into words

Both of these games have been such a huge disappointment.

Your summation is spot on.

I wish that we could take the developers by the hand and show them what great possibilities are possible with these stories!

Angel

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Sep 26, 10 3:55 PM
annatar wrote:
Four20 wrote:An Odd FYI for whomever. When I clicked on the "get tips in the forum" button it took me to a search of "King Arthur" and I had to weed through all the King Arthur posts to find this thread. No biggy because I know how to find stuff, but may be a problem for others.

I think this happened because at the start there wasn't a King Arthur forum yet. I looked for it this morning and it didn't exist, so all the link could do was take me to the search page. But now that the forum DOES exist, they should change their link...

It works now. I clicked on the get tips and it brought me directly to the forum page for the game.

I don't care for the game at all. I love Arthurian legend, so downloaded the demo. I played in casual mode. Issues: No hint system for the first couple of rounds. I found the pace too slow and Merlin's voice annoying. It did not sound British at all to me and in fact reminds me of a spoken line at the beginning of song by the group Alabama, "You see that mountain over there...". Some objects were harder to find than others. Other than that, it was just boring.

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Sep 26, 10 3:58 PM
The first problem with the game is that you can't skip the dialogue. Granted, it isn't long when compared to others, but I'm no kid and I'm not enchanted or entertained by a child's fantasy story at the beginning. I play HOG/adventure games for the CHALLENGE, something this game did not offer, except maybe trying to figure out the hint system, which you really didn't need anyway because the objects were so incredibly easy to find.

It isn't all bad, however. The graphics are better than some, and at first look, SEEMS to offer the same level of gameplay as Return to Ravenhurst or the Echoes of the Past series. And for HOG newbies, this game MIGHT hold their interest enough to purchase.

But I should've known that this game would offer little - BF didn't build a strategy guide or create a blog walkthrough.

Maybe tomorrow's game will be better.

prochef
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by prochef on Sep 26, 10 4:01 PM
I couldn't agree more with LizzieK. I have played hundreds of games and they all had a hint button at the start and a tutorial in some fashion. When I read this was from the same developers of "The Wizard of Oz", I said to myself, "Well, that explains it!" That was the worst game ever and this was just about as frustrating. I played ten minutes, couldn't find a star and wasted five more minutes then quit. I'm glad some others liked it but not me. There are way more games to play that aren't so maddening.

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 4:05:50 PM PST

vitomojo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by vitomojo on Sep 26, 10 4:10 PM
I'm a little surprised at so many negative reviews for this one. It wasn't the greatest game but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Admittedly, I won't be buying it because I didn't feel captivated by it at any point but the objects weren't terribly hard to find and the hint system didn't bother me at all. I found most of the puzzles a little easy or boring but again, still not THAT bad.

Happy gaming to the ones that liked it and better luck tomorrow to the ones that didn't.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 26, 10 4:25 PM
It was an okay game, but not one I will buy. Good for the younger kids maybe.

Go to: