joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

Re:Post any Columbus: Ghost of the Mystery Stone technical issues here only

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 29, 10 8:51 AM
Win 7/64 bit and played 40 minutes and fine so far.

Hope you all get help

[Post New]by VeryBigFish on Sep 29, 10 11:17 AM
FWIW....

I have W7/64 bit. And haven't had any problems any recent games, but this game gave me a bit of trouble.

First try, from game manager wouldn't start - just a black screen with cursor.

Second try, directly from "hidden" exe file let me into the game, but then, something came up IRL so I exited after ten minutes to save demo time.

Third try, directly from "hidden" exe file didn't work. :::boggle::: (exact same settings?)

Fourth try, from exe with "compatibility" settings checked didn't work.

Fifth try, after delete, reboot, install....didn't work.

Sixth try, after unchecking "compatibility" setting (but not reinstalling or rebooting again) directly from .exe file works!!

I can now reenter the game fine, even from the game manager....but I'm not sure if that's because of the last fix, or because the game is now activated. (didn't check game manager between fix and purchase.)

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Sep 29, 10 12:06 PM
Hello there my fellow Fishies...I'm back to update you on my status of reopening my saved game from last night. Well, I started my computer and did my usual....check to see what todays new game is, downloaded, etc. When I was done all of my other stuff I figured let me try running this game. Well, it ran but once again it was hidden, had to go to the task manager processes section and end task. Decided to do a reboot, which also had some new updates, and start fresh. Well when I came back in, started Game Manager and hit play, the game actually came up working fine.... ...go figure.
I'm starting to think this game likes a fresh start, since after each deletion and/or download that I have restarted the computer it seems as though I can get this program to work. Don't know...maybe just sheer luck.
I hope the fix will be coming soon for all of us, but you may just want to give this a try.
Good luck to all and Happy Gaming Fishies!

[Post New]by electricLady on Sep 29, 10 12:08 PM
I'm so glad I read what everyone is saying before rebooting again! what a drag, I was really looking forward to playing this today. It DLed fine, but now when I try to play it says I have another game running (I don't) and to reboot (I did). So I guess I'm out of luck!

KatyKackle
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by KatyKackle on Sep 29, 10 3:18 PM
Im not able to get the darn thing to let me play, keeps shooting me back to desk top.I'm very upset that I purchased the game, figuring that BF has never given me this kind of problem. I went to all the support areas with little or no solving what's going on. I'd like to get credit back for a game I can't play. Katykackle

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on Sep 29, 10 4:10 PM
Here's another pc with windows 7 this game won't play on. When I try again it says its already running. I've tried several times and turned pc off and tried again twice.........wouldn't even erase since (the game is running; please turn game off before trying to erase) or whatever exactly it said. I finally got it erased and am afraid to try again. I do hope it can be altered to play on windows 7/64 since it does look like a good game..............First game from BFG that had this problem, at least on my pc!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Sep 29, 10 6:54 PM
I am another one having the same problem ...have win7, 64 bit, and new computer. I have installed twice and still can't open the game...tells me it is running but doesn't show up on task manager and I have to re-boot. Am uninstalling for the third time and will wait to try again when there is a fix. Disappointed, yes.

[Post New]by Fjorddaughter on Sep 29, 10 8:31 PM
I am having the same trouble as many others--says it's running but there is nothing on the screen. I also have Windows 7.

[Post New]by electricLady on Sep 29, 10 11:49 PM
After trying everything possible to uninstall this game, I had to do a system restore to finally get it off my computer. It never would work right on win7/64, but kept saying it was running, which of course you can't remove during this time. So frustrating....I won't ever try to reinstall it even if it says it is fixed. I have a lot of other games still waiting for me, but this one looked really good. Bummed!

[Post New]by srshelton on Sep 30, 10 4:44 AM
Now none of my Big Fish Games will open for me to play!! Please fix ASAP!! Thanks!

[Post New]by pugs_rule on Sep 30, 10 6:26 AM
Still will not run after many uninstalls and rebooting, task manager says it is running I have brand new computer also with 7/64. Please fix.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Sep 30, 10 6:42 AM
This wouldn't work for me on XP either. I'd had a strange Kaspersky issue between downloading it so uninstalled and reinstalled but it does the same thing.

It loads and then I try to start the game and get an error message... my writing's awful but I think it's

cannot find data/level/survey.pic/survey.pic.txt

(Kaspersky thing seemed to resolve itself and had no bearing on game issue.)

valeriepres
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by valeriepres on Sep 30, 10 8:19 AM
sadji wrote:The Game didn't start on my Win 7/ 64 bit system

To all of you that have a Windows 7 64 bit PC like myself heres what you have to do to get the game to work:
If you have the Game Manager ICON on your desktop, then right click on it and go to PROPERTIES, click on COMPATIBILITY, then go to the bit where there is a box to tick "RUN THIS PROGRAM IN COMPATIBILTY MODE" WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3 and then click OK and come out of it and start the game.
I find however, that the game will not start just from the icon. I have to start it from the GAME MANAGER.
You will hopefully find that it runs now with no trouble at all. I sent this message to the customer help dept. at Big Fish.

Edited on 09/30/2010 at 8:49:28 AM PST

valeriepres
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by valeriepres on Sep 30, 10 8:25 AM
srshelton wrote:Now none of my Big Fish Games will open for me to play!! Please fix ASAP!! Thanks!

I had this problem yesterday. Go to the TASK MANAGER and click on PROCESSES. You should see Columbus on the list. Highlight it and click on END PROCESS. All of your games should now play ok. Then if you do the above (My previous post) you will ALSO be able to play Columbus as well as your other BigFish games !!!

Edited on 09/30/2010 at 8:27:14 AM PST

[Post New]by emtmom1 on Sep 30, 10 8:49 AM
I wouldn't care if it didn't work, I would just uninstall. HOWEVER, it won't let me uninstall, even through the programs controls on my computer and it ties up ALL my BF games and says it cannot install them because another game is running. I shut down my system twice and even went into Task Master which said I was running the game and it couldn't uninstall it. HELP!

krismar
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

Columbus: Ghost of the Mystery Stone technical issues here only

[Post New]by krismar on Sep 30, 10 4:26 PM
Quoting Sonofstar: "I cannot believe, with so many Windows 7 systems out there, that the developers wouldn't have tested this game on Windows 7/64 bit and wouldn't have worked out such a HUGE issue BEFORE releasing the game. Worst situation I've ever encountered with any game I've EVER played."

This is ridiculous! Why the heck did BFG even consider release this if we cannot play it. I am being penalized because I have a newer computer with Windows 7? I am having awful problems with the game and my whole screen going black and no response from the mouse. The only way I can get out of it is to turn the computer off completely (cannot even cntrl/alt/delete) and start again in safe mode. I tried to reinstall the game but it did the same thing.

Shame on BFG

[Post New]by jonni1 on Sep 30, 10 5:02 PM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I am also running on Windows 7 and have the same problem. Please fix this soon. I will try to deinstall the game and install it again. If that doesn`t solve the problem, I will send a email to the Customer Support.

Edit: Deinstall and install again the game worked for me. The game runs now very fun on my desktop-laptop.

You must not be running Windows 7 / 64bit because all computers running this stops the game from working

[Post New]by Avalon7404 on Sep 30, 10 7:58 PM
valeriepres wrote:
sadji wrote:The Game didn't start on my Win 7/ 64 bit system

To all of you that have a Windows 7 64 bit PC like myself heres what you have to do to get the game to work:
If you have the Game Manager ICON on your desktop, then right click on it and go to PROPERTIES, click on COMPATIBILITY, then go to the bit where there is a box to tick "RUN THIS PROGRAM IN COMPATIBILTY MODE" WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 3 and then click OK and come out of it and start the game.
I find however, that the game will not start just from the icon. I have to start it from the GAME MANAGER.
You will hopefully find that it runs now with no trouble at all. I sent this message to the customer help dept. at Big Fish.

Well tried to play again today and it did not work this time...Can't get past the black screen. Too bad was looking forward to this game.

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 11:48:03 AM PST

[Post New]by Avalon7404 on Sep 30, 10 7:59 PM
Hey All this was the solution to my problem of the black screen. Works like a charm and is really easy. Try it, you'll like it, as Mikey says....LOL

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Sep 30, 10 10:16 PM
I really wanted to try this game, but I have Windows 7 64-bit on a new computer and I'm afraid to download this now. You shouldn't have to do a bunch of compatibility mode stuff just to get the game to run. I'm glad I read the forums first. I'm sorry everyone is having so many problems, but thanks for informing the rest of us.

Go to: