Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Venus: The Case of the Grand Slam Queen

[Post New]by debkneer on Oct 6, 10 11:13 AM
Oh dear, I hate to be a nay-sayer, but OMG this game is just about as bad as it gets! I read through the reviews and d/l it in spite of how widely panned this game was. And, yup, it's that bad. I can't believe Venus Williams allowed her name to be attached to this project!

I struggled ... and I do mean struggled ... to get through the Chapter 1 photo-taking debacle. But when I had to do it again in Chapter 2, I was done. And you wouldn't mind so much ... maybe ... if the subject of the photos was somewhat interesting, but a shot of a window frame, a sliver of ceiling, or a concrete curb? Who takes photos like these? If that overly sensitive, tricky camera was mine, I'd throw IT to the concrete curb ...

The story-line is juvenile and the voice-acting is atrocious ... and I hate a game that punishes me for buying and playing it.

No, no, a thousand times no ...

VickyWY
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by VickyWY on Oct 6, 10 1:39 PM
I didn't last a full minute, I don't think.....sooooo SLOW that I couldn't imagine going any further than I did....and that minute was too long. I wouldn't play this one if it was free.

peachycat
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by peachycat on Oct 6, 10 3:53 PM
B-O-R-I-N-G

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Oct 6, 10 7:05 PM
General recommendation: Try before you buy but only if you really want to finish off a punchcard or have a coupon about to expire.

I played through 30 minutes which was enough for me to make a judgment. Usually I try not to read the reviews and make my own reviews but when I saw this hit four pages in day that sent up a red flag.

Graphics: I really liked the character sketches and how generally bright, colorful, and clear the graphics were. The hidden objects were also appropriately sized. No complaints about the graphics here.

Sound: There was no music and the sounds were minimal during the game. I did like the voiceovers and it was nice to have Venus Williams voicing herself in the game.

Gameplay: There is a timer but it counts upwards meaning you won't run out of time, but if you are competitive this may bother you. Hints recharge in sixty seconds and you are told this in the tutorial. There is an overclick penalty which adds time to your score. There are mini-games involved such as a break the bricks (Breakout) but there is a skip button. There are many spot the differences games as well. The camera game will be very annoying because it requires fairly precise mousework which may be offputting. Personally, it wasn't that so much as the types of camera shots that baffled me. Why would I take a picture of Venus' elbow instead of her face for example?

Storyline: There is a story but it's more incidental from the three chapters I played it wasn't integral. The story doesn't fully make sense to be honest and it didn't really add a lot to the game.

If you are getting this game, it's most likely best used as filler as opposed to A-list material.

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Oct 6, 10 8:51 PM
I totally admire Venus, but she certainly killed her image with this game. I think it was put together in about a day and a half just simply because they thought game players were stupid enough to buy it because of the branding.

Maybe people buy clothes, tennis balls, rackets, etc because of the name - but I do hope no one on this forum is dumb enough be that gullible.

onlybec
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by onlybec on Oct 6, 10 10:26 PM
OMG this game is awful. I tried demo and after about 20 minutes I got out. Boring, music and story lousy. Why do they put out these games not a buy for me not even as a DD.

Maybe some people might like it but not for me. 10

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 7, 10 7:01 AM

This game is a self-promoting vanity piece about and for Venus Williams. The chapter locks could only be opened by scouring her journal for trivia about Venus and her career. That got a little annoying after the first few.

On the other hand, I actually did learn some real things about tennis (and Venus) that I never would have in the normal course of my life so I think the game was effective in that way.

I really am not a fan of mini-games but there were different mini-games in this game than the usual HOG run-of-the-mill types and that was refreshing.

The graphics reminded me alot of the Dream Day series. It was interesting to hear Venus narrating her part in the game.

To sum up, this is a promotion piece for Venus Williams and then secondly it was a little mystery story with a mixture of HOG and mini-puzzles stretched over an open book exam about Venus.

I played the entire game and it was a reasonably pleasant experience.

icemaidenq
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by icemaidenq on Oct 7, 10 6:05 PM
So, this game was awful. Nothing good to say about it. I struggled through 15 min hoping it would get better. Uhhh....no. Don't waste your time. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day with a good game.
LT

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Oct 8, 10 1:58 PM
BORING...Unbelievably bad.

GirlPink
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by GirlPink on Oct 9, 10 12:01 AM
Oh dear me, this is really awful for so many reasons. I did like the idea of unlocking chapters that...haven't seen that done in that way before. But not enough to make me overlook that this is truly a dreadful game

ce06
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by ce06 on Oct 9, 10 10:14 PM
I WISH I HAD NEVER PURCHASED THIS GAME, 14 LEVELS ALL THE SAME REPEATING ONLY 4 OR 5 STEPS EACH LEVEL. ANSWER QUESTIONS YOU HAD TO LOOK UP BEYOND THE GAME. DUMB DUMB DUMB. YOU COULDN'T COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER THAN THAT FOR VENUS WILLIAMS????

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Oct 18, 10 4:21 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzz....

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Nov 3, 10 8:06 PM
This game is for children or if you have insomnia. What were the dippy camera shots about? Did not make sense. The game was so boring that I am lost for words on this one. It's a no buy even if it's on the $2.99 daily special, it's that slow. "Not Lov'in it!"

Edited on 11/03/2010 at 8:25:16 PM PST

Go to: