pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Institute - A Becky Brogan Adventure

[Post New]by pungstress on Oct 13, 10 10:31 AM
jkuci wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the sadistic nurse in this game looked EXACTLY like Nurse Mildred Ratched (acted by Louise Fletcher) from the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest???

LOL, jkuci! I should have read all the comments before posting because I just said the same thing!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 13, 10 10:31 AM
Said I would come back... I won't be so hard with that game, I even toy with the idea of using one of my credits on it. It's nice after all the brain-breakings games I lastly bought. Graphics aren't that bad, I've seen worse, objects are not too easy to find, I agree about that and it's probably time I change my glasses. Turned the music off as it really got on my nerves, annoyed me. I'll probably will give this game a chance (though I hate the find the difference games), wonder how long it is ??? Played 25 minutes and got 3 bears, so I missed quite a few of them. Don't care about penalties, that's not important, the point is to enjoy myself and it's ages since I didn't play a straight HOG (is that what you call it ?).

AshleyD1979
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by AshleyD1979 on Oct 13, 10 10:34 AM
Well, I was immediately skeptical due to the screen shots of the game. When the highlighted puzzles on the sales page are of spot the differences and a jigsaw puzzle (both have been done to death), then you know you're in for a stinker.

After the trial, my skepticism was proved correct. Boring. No go for me.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Oct 13, 10 10:35 AM
Nope ..Basic,, Boring,,, Bummer !!!!!

fishdawn
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by fishdawn on Oct 13, 10 10:49 AM
Sorry PEN..but I like Spot the Difference games. So I guess we don't all hate them.

This game is a definite BUY for me. I liked the first Becky Brogan game and I like this one. I find them very challenging. Plus there's no penalty for random clicking. Gotta love that!

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Oct 13, 10 10:50 AM
Immediately d/loaded and demo'd, thought the 'dry spell' was over!
Based on demo only, no custom cursor (no big deal for me) and thank goodness, no random click penalty. Hidden object scenes-quite plentiful and very difficult or maybe my eyesight has gotten worse since the first Becky Brogan! But I don't think so! I noticed a timer at the top of the screen too. Not counting off min. but timing how long it takes to complete a hidden object scene. Most scenes, had to use hint more than once. Forgot about finding the bear in the first two hidden object scenes, then remembered but struggled trying to find them! Didn't accumulate very many hints! Some jigsaws and spot the differences between rooms although gameplay could change later on.
Graphics are just so-so. I did have the black border on each side, but that doesn't bother me enough to adjust my screen resolution. I'm lazy! Music is eerie. I wouldn't classify this game as an IHOG, although it plays a little differently than the first one.
I may purchase later just to conquer the hidden object scenes, but not at this time.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Oct 13, 10 12:19 PM
I played full demo- to give it my full opinion
by the time I was 20 minutes in, squinting through hazy graphics-I took advantage of no penalties for clicking randomly---just to get through scenes.
that was the good
the bad-graphics, poor sound (music)
lame plot-
maybe if REALLY deparate I'd do the Daily Double, but I doubt it.
It's a straight HOG, some jigsaw puzzles, spot the difference & a minor (EASY) interaction with an occational tool
I'd rank this as a 2 of 5 star if you like straight HOG only. Definately take advantage of the free clicking

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Oct 13, 10 12:21 PM
Everyone has said pretty much all that can be said for this game. However, I just have to ask: Why was this game one of Mudrock's picks?!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 13, 10 12:32 PM
The grapihcs are poor. There seems to be a story; however, I was unable to figure it out. I can't understand what the main character has to do with the institute other than idle curiousity. The gameplay is EASY! The items aren't hidden very well and the hint recharges on its own...no need to use a bear. There are a few find the difference screens as well. Dull.....need I say more.

This game is a C-.

sixmilecoss
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by sixmilecoss on Oct 13, 10 12:42 PM
NouniSmile wrote:It is a straight HOG. Just played for 10 minutes and deleted the game.
Graphics is not that good and that makes finding the objectes very difficult

Nouni

i only lasted three minutes. couldn't get the LARGE graphic off the scene so i could see what i was looking for.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 13, 10 1:16 PM
I played the whole hour. Graphics not as bad IMHO as I feared from reviews. I did find the Spot the Diff to be boogers! Usually I like them and have rarely ever used a hint on one. Can't remember if I played 3 in the trial or was it just 2, but I had to use a couple of hints on each one. On the bright side, I did find the TV without a hint!
The hint system is more than adequate. It did have a couple of interactive items, but not enough. Reviewers who said screens too dark and/or lack of contrast, yep I felt that on some screens. This is one of those if you like it, great! But It's not a buy for me unless someday it turns up as a DD and then maybe.....

Edit to 1st line: Graphics not QUITE as bad as I feared from reviews.

Edited on 10/13/2010 at 2:22:15 PM PST

[Post New]by rainangel5301 on Oct 13, 10 1:32 PM
I love straight HOG, particularly love the ones mixed with adventure, but this one is NOT my cup of tea. Hard to see objects, slow moving cursor, just not enjoyable to me. I'm waiting for something better to come along!

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on Oct 13, 10 2:10 PM

I agree with the majority. This is a
First I play the Demo and then I head for the Forum. It is said "sometimes free is too expensive." I feel that way about this Demo. I was looking for a good HOG and this is not it. Too dark, scenes appear redundant due to ambiance, items are either too obvious or completely lost in the grainy graphics. Fortunately the aimless clicks were considered "no faults."
It was just a bad day at the Institute.
Tomorrow is another day and another HOG.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 13, 10 2:13 PM
rainangel5301 wrote:I love straight HOG, particularly love the ones mixed with adventure, but this one is NOT my cup of tea. Hard to see objects, slow moving cursor, just not enjoyable to me. I'm waiting for something better to come along!

yes rainangel5301, thanks for bringing up the slow motion cursor. it happened to me too, plus sometimes the objects clicked on just hung forever before reaching the bottom of the screen to be removed from list.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 13, 10 2:21 PM
I thought the first one was better, but since we are in that dreaded dry spell, I am doing ok with this one. Yes, some of the items are really hard to find, until I use a hint, and then I see that it was usually obvious...not always, though. My beef is with sequels that are not as good as the first one. Seems to me that the devs would see what worked in the first and make improvements...to put out a second or third that is less than the first seems inadequate. For example, the first Reincarnations game was so much fun, but the second didn't live up to the expectation; mine anyways. And the Women's Murder Club...the second one wasn't up to par but the third one was much improved.

And for whoever it was that thought about matching the suvs...thanks for the laugh. I used to play a lot of M3s before I discovered the hogs, and I also played slots on another site...knew I was playing too many m3s when I tried to move the slots into groups of 3

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Oct 13, 10 3:03 PM
Yet another asylum/institute game. Seems like the game makers have lost their imaginations and will push out any rubbish to make a sale. What's next, another vampire game??

Whitenurse
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Whitenurse on Oct 13, 10 4:50 PM
Yet another asylum/institute game. Seems like the game makers have lost their imaginations and will push out any rubbish to make a sale. What's next, another vampire game??

I agree with darkhalf01
Bugger it Felix sack all your game makers and hire new ones with new fresh ideas.........

Thanks all I can say
Kaz
Down Under Oz

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Oct 13, 10 4:51 PM
I too wanted to like this game so much, I liked the first one. This one was worse instead of better. Most developers improve their games as they move along. In this case they made it a pixel click festival. I also found bears by mistake. Very grainy, old story, no color, no atmosphere, annoying music, just straight hard to find objects. I don't mind a straight HOG sometimes but prefer something like Mystery PI, I think it's called. They know how to do a HOG right. The only thing I did enjoy was the jigsaw puzzles.
Hope anyone who likes this enjoys, I sure it will be long. The first BB was very long.

Peeshee

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Oct 13, 10 4:58 PM
I was really looking forward to this game as I have the first one, Mystery of Meane Manor, and loved that one. However, this new one disappointed me a lot. The graphics were poor, the story old, the comments tiresome and the music, slightly annoying. What a let down. I'm totally bummed.
Dry spell continues....

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Oct 13, 10 5:09 PM
I love the game, it has atmosphere. I bought it after playing the entire hour demo. It is a good old fashioned HOG. No timer, but it has a clock to keep track of the time. The items are well hidden, the bears are a challenge. There is a dark storyline, but I never really follow the story. There is no penalty for clicking the wrong or too many objects. Hints fill in under a minute. The scenes are fairly clear though the style of the artwork makes it look somewhat like old film with some graininess. It was nice to have to study the scene for a while to find the objects and not have them handed to me with no effort. Yes, some are tiny, but then what HOG doesn't have tiny objects. Minigames are do-able. Music is nonintrusive.

Sorry guys, but I like spot the differences.

Go to: