maggieB95
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Trackers: The Void Collector's Edition

[Post New]by maggieB95 on Oct 14, 10 12:43 PM
Thanks to all who posted their reviews!

Another thank you to whoever said you can skip the mini-games - just in case I feel the need!

I am not a seasoned iHOG player and this is such a big game - always appreciate helpful comments and opinions!

Have a wonderful day!

ScaniX
Clownfish
Clownfish
596 Posts

[Post New]by ScaniX on Oct 14, 10 12:57 PM
Hey, everyone!

I just started the game (I bought it immediately after reading all those comments) and it seems to be pretty nice.
The frog might get irritating after a while, so I wrote a little how to here which lets you turn it off:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/121938.page#2395012

[Post New]by torriekay on Oct 14, 10 1:00 PM

This says it all for me. Gonna pass on this one.

AshleyD1979 wrote:I'm sorry but I didn't like this one.

I thought judging by all the good comments it has been receiving that this would break the dry spell of a chain of boring games.

However, this was just too boring. Find a crowbar, use the crowbar. Find a key, use the key. Find a light bulb, use the light bulb. Etc. The objects were used almost right as you found them or in the next scene. There was simply no challenge. I like to figure out what goes where and match items. But everything was used with no real thought.

The puzzles were very dull, IMO. A jigsaw puzzle with like 6 or 7 pieces? Hello? Match the pictures? Arrange the light bulbs?

Just not for me. When the game first started, it looked like it would be an MCF rip off. Old car. Detective badge. Diary. Victorian Era house, etc. Which was fine to me. I love those games and wish there were more like it. It is as if this one TRIED to be like R2R and DG but just couldn't cut it.

It wasn't even appealing in its own right.

The game also appeared very linear. Point A to Point B to Point C to Point D. Etc. I like to wander around, explore, backtrack, etc. If it gets better, I have no idea since I don't plan on purchasing after my demo stopped.

But if it didn't grab me during the trial, I don't like taking a risk to see if things get better. No go for me. :-(

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 14, 10 1:08 PM
AshleyD1979 wrote:I'm sorry but I didn't like this one.

I thought judging by all the good comments it has been receiving that this would break the dry spell of a chain of boring games.
But if it didn't grab me during the trial, I don't like taking a risk to see if things get better. No go for me. :-(

I hope that tomorrow is a better day for you gamewise. I appreciate your opinion.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 14, 10 1:11 PM
wow, I just spent about 6 hours of my life agog at my monitor just loving this game. IT's clever, beautifully drawn, long, good music...I could go on and on. Even the bonus section was pretty darn good. So it was well worth the CE price which I hate paying. The strategy book helped when I was getting lost...which happened more than I like. but you all won't be disappointed in this game. Very well done..a 4.5 out of 5.
chris

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Oct 14, 10 2:46 PM
After such a dry spell, this game was refreshing. The graphics are very nice. I will wait, however, for the standard edition. I haven't found a Collector's Edition that was worth spending the extra money.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Oct 14, 10 3:12 PM
I'm not jumping up and down about this game . Thought is was on the easy side but I will admit, the mini puzzles (some) were different . Loved the music and clarity of the game but just too easy without any challenges (for me). Won't be buying this but its not a bad game for other fishies. Just not my cup of tea.

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Oct 14, 10 3:13 PM
After reading most of the reviews, I am still on the fence about purchasing the CE.

I finished the trial in 40 minutes, so was disappointed not to get a bit farther along. I've read it is 9 chapters and I believe the trial ends at Chapter 2.

I really like getting "Achievements". I really did not like the frog. I found him very distracting with all that croaking.

Like many other reviewers, I am also waiting for the next really good game. Yes, it has been a bit of a dry spell lately.

Happy gaming to all!

ScaniX
Clownfish
Clownfish
596 Posts

[Post New]by ScaniX on Oct 14, 10 3:32 PM
I have to agree that the adventure part sucks for an IHOG. The player would not miss much if there was no inventory at all. It is way too simple.
The puzzles are pretty simple as well, one are two are so easy that they could have been replaced by a simple lever.
But I still like the game, because it is nicely done. The hidden object scenes are really good and not frustrating at all (as in some other games like this).

I first tried to play with the frog sounds (like it is meant to be ^^), but then I turned the frog sounds off again. The music is ok, but not great.
Still this is the most interesting game since Twisted Lands and I do not regret having bought it.

Edited on 10/14/2010 at 3:34:19 PM PST

tinysteps
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by tinysteps on Oct 14, 10 3:37 PM
better than what's been released recently, but it could have been a little bit more difficult to use the inventory pieces. I thought they were a little obvious.

Vixen63
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Vixen63 on Oct 14, 10 4:15 PM
I am liking this game. Finding the objects and solving the puzzles require a bit of effort, but are not a chore. It has a nice degree of relaxing diversion, no timer, and no annoying click-penalty.

I decided to go ahead and purchase the CE version. One warning: This game is a "large file", extremely large file! 705MB ( ~.6 GB ). yikes!

Edited on 10/14/2010 at 4:23:34 PM PST

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 14, 10 4:41 PM
I had been anxiously awaiting this game and demoed it as soon as I could.
Unfortunately I have to agree about the challenge level and so many other little points.
The demo seemed very easy to me.
It's very much a case of pros and cons for me.

The hidden objects were well done but the mini games were no challenge what so ever.
It is also very point A to point B which given the beautiful game renderings is a shame.
The inventory has so far been very short lived as you use what you find almost immediately and then it's gone.
It should have been an omen when the first object was ....
wait for it......
a crowbar.
The music loop was surprisingly short and as such became repetitive very quickly.
The frog didn't bother me as I live on a lake so it's a sound I'm use to tuning out.
I also agree that different options for difficulty would have been nice. I am not a fan of sparkles.

On the plus side the story is not boring though not a real grabber.
And as I mentioned before the graphics are quite nice. Colorful, crisp and clear with no darkspots or size problems.
Given the dry spell we've been through I will probably go ahead and buy this.
A 5+ hour game earning 3 punches is not so bad....
swimming off to DL~~~~~~~~

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 14, 10 4:47 PM
Well, I still haven't bought it yet. A fishie that posted 4 or 5 posts up from here hit the nail on the head. It does seem a little too linear, you're just lead along with only one path to follow. They seem to be correct about the ease of puzzles and "find a crowbar,use a crowbar" right away in the same room thing also..........hmmm.
Dr.good

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 14, 10 5:05 PM
I was going to ask who the developer is, it may have flashed by me in the beginning trying to get my headphones on right. Now I'm having to assume it is a Big Fish Studio game? Hadn't a chance to see a Felix anywhere. Has the "look" of RTR or DG but much better lighting in the scenes, but lots of games recently coming out of Russia have this great artwork in HOGs so I buy them, no matter how easy or difficult the play. I never mind paying extra for good quality and artwork.

That said, I'd call this an RTR LITE, which is certainly my preference over the really frustrating but beautiful other games. I mean, one I think many of us can play with pleasure, from start to finish without filling up page after page of HELP stuck etc on the forum. Usually I wait a few days and go count how many posts of those are before deciding it's not for me. I've got too much money tied up in icons still on desktop that turned into non-fun anymore. Some of those because of too hard on the eyes, or too lost to ever find my way backtracking.

So, I appreciate those who aren't buying this one for explaining why it isn't your cuppa. I have been easily swept up into the hype many times not realizing for me it would not be a fun game. Just depends on level of difficulty or expertise of the player and patience, how much time I want to spend on one game while the energy level is maintained. For a time BF games got harder and harder for those progressing. I'm glad to see some (you may think dumbed down, that's ok) which have the average casual gamer in mind too, not just the well seasoned adventurer.

SoozUSA
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by SoozUSA on Oct 14, 10 5:06 PM
It's a no buy for me. Not even in SE. Too linear. Puzzles not a challenge.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 14, 10 5:20 PM
Oh the froggie. I felt quite at home with the ambiance. Just relaxing and nostalgic for when I lived in the country, a bit of "life" out my dark window or a static screen to stare at alone. Yes, I like crickets too (to a point LOL) A nice counterbalance with the disappearance of other life inside the mansion. Sure beats what I hear now, seals barking all night, sounds like a dog kennel nearby. I think the only game I had to mute sound fxs was a wolf that kept howling over and over (when you're a slow player), can't remember which title now. Some games the ambiant sounds fight with the music or voice overs without a good sound editor. If sound and music are done well, then I put on headphones on laptop to get the whole package. So different than minimal speakers on my pc, more immersive.

ras7777
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by ras7777 on Oct 14, 10 5:40 PM
Nice graphics,nice and colorful, easy to find objects in the HOGs. The puzzles were much too easy. The story line was not that interesting. I will save my credits and $$ for another day. I am definitely longing for another MCF game.

Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Oct 14, 10 6:53 PM
puzzledone wrote:I was going to ask who the developer is, it may have flashed by me in the beginning trying to get my headphones on right. Now I'm having to assume it is a Big Fish Studio game? Hadn't a chance to see a Felix anywhere. Has the "look" of RTR or DG but much better lighting in the scenes, but lots of games recently coming out of Russia have this great artwork in HOGs so I buy them, no matter how easy or difficult the play. I never mind paying extra for good quality and artwork.

The developer is Elephant Games (but felix pops up in there. I won't give too much away but when you play the slot machine there is the elephant logo and at the end Elephant Games is listed in the phone numbers you can call.

[Post New]by hiddengameadd on Oct 14, 10 7:00 PM
I just finished this game and I loved it!!

When is the next one coming out?

Loved the graphics.

Its very rare to have a long game and to have great graphics is well.

Also don't start playing this game at 11pm at night - you don't want to go to bed haha

Edited on 10/14/2010 at 7:01:13 PM PST

unhappyplayer
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by unhappyplayer on Oct 14, 10 7:07 PM
I played the first ten min. of the demo and bought it. LOVE IT, Thank You. BFG

Go to: