jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Nov 6, 10 7:18 PM
No buy for me. I found it too simple, the story was not very good, the voices annoying and the whole game irritating. Stopped playing very quickly.

alohak
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alohak on Nov 6, 10 8:31 PM
way too short. Finished part of chapter 5 in the hour demo. Didn't skip any puzzles. It has 9 chapters plus a bonus at the end. That means about 2 hours. No buy.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 6, 10 8:40 PM
This game is on my "maybe" (if I'm really, really bored) buy list. They have done the game very well, and nicely made. The reasons that it does not hit out, it doesn't have this wow factor. Its a pleasant game. Graphics, storyline, and characters. The character was a bit boring-did not have an exciting responses and what to do-how she approaches her situation was not exciting-ie just writing a letter for home, do something exciting-go around the house at the start find what he is upto, meet other devious characters etc.

So it just shows that if you do something boring, accept a boring reaction, ie if you went to a theme park and were told to just walk around instead of trying out the rides it would be boring. So everything else was done right ie the artwrork, the light in the green dining room etc. If she did something else to begin with, then the game would feel exciting, ie try and gain access to a tower, anything but spending ages trying to write a letter! There was anticipation, ie we have accessed the home, so the focus should be on there first. I found Snark busters game briliant as you did exciting stuff, if this game was this exciting, I would have brought it already.

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 8:43:38 PM PST

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 7, 10 11:12 AM
After reading the comments of others, I have decided its a no buy for me,this is because they said the length of the game was about 2 hours-that is not worth m game credit and certainly for the fact hat I have played 45 minutes on the demo and spent most of that time trying to prepare a letter for home-so that is a waste of game, if you spend about half of it trying to write a letter-boring. Certainly not even worth purchasing on a daily deal either, unless your really, really bored.

Edited on 11/07/2010 at 11:13:11 AM PST

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Nov 8, 10 2:59 AM
QEIII wrote:By the way (and I'm not trying to pick people up, just information) It is not Victorian but Georgian. Think Georgette Heyer's books.

The vast majority of Georgette Heyer's books are set in the Regency era. Only a few are set in the Georgian era; These Old Shades & Powder and Patch leap to mind. Those are more late Georgian.

But at least you were reasonably close. I'm cringing at the number of ppl who believe this to be Victorian or Edwardian or from the 1900s. Nothing like being a cpl hundred yrs off! The Georgian era runs from 1714-1811. Florence didn't really come into vogue as a girl's name until the 1900s, so perhaps this is where ppl are making a mistake in trying to pinpoint time period? Her dress looks to be a dreadful combo of early & late Georgian styles, so I'm thinking Georgian is what the devs were aiming at.

Then again, maybe not, judging by the rest of it. I usually adore period pieces & can deal w/ a tad of misdirection in a really solid game, but I can't begin to enumerate the sheer enormity of the historical errors & the continual plethora of anachronisms that abounded in this game. This is the primer for How to Develop an Historically-Themed Game w/o Doing a Spot of Actual Research b/c No One is Going to Notice. And they were right if ppl think this is meant to be Victorian. Ye gods. They should be ashamed of themselves for not even trying to get it right. Not to mention having a Skip timer to rival RTRs, constantly choppy transitions, & calling a game that's puzzle upon puzzle interspersed w/ the clicking of heels on a black screen for us to "get" that the character is to-ing & fro-ing a "hidden object game" when there were about 4 HOs scenes b4 one hit the garden gate. And reading a blurb off the back of a romance novel & using that as "plot" w/ a criminally sm amt of development to make you care one iota what happens next. Not only have I lost the time invested in this demo, playing on just for the masochism of playing Spot the Nonsense, I've also lost IQ pts I can never retrieve.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Nov 13, 10 11:16 PM
Finished this game a few days ago; and for what little it may be worth, here's what I thought:

Overall Impression: An average, iHOG/Adventure blend - nothing outstanding about it; nothing horrendously horrible, just average

Media Description: The scenes were pretty, bright and clear. The only complaint I had was that part of the bodice of Florence's dress seemed to be standing out in front of her instead of being attached to the dress. That was always distracting whenever she was onscreen. The music was light and airy - all the time, which was unfortunate because there were times it really needed to be a bit darker/heavier in order to support the storyline.

Storyline: was ok overall, but it felt a bit disjointed at times. The "instant love" part made me laugh, but that's just me. Those kinds of things always make me laugh. I'm a bit too cynical to really appreciate them.

Gameplay: The game can be played in two modes - casual and expert. I chose the casual mode. In that one, active areas are pointed out as soon as you enter a room so there's not a whole lot of independent exploring to do. Although you travel from room to room, the gameplay itself is a bit linear requiring you to complete some things before you can do others.

HOG Scenes: If I'm remembering correctly, the HOG scenes are more busy rooms than junkpiles, and are relatively easy. I don't remember there being any kind of penalty for misclicks, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. It could just mean it wasn't memorable enough to stand out in my mind.

Minigames/puzzles: The minigames fit into the storyline for the most part. I don't remember having any trouble with any of them.

Hints: The hints are unlimited, but they do take a few seconds to refill.

Will Probably Appeal to: Those who like light, iHOG/Adventure blends and games romantic themes

Will Probably Not Appeal to: Those who prefer straight HOGs, games that are dark and spooky, or independent exploration in their games ('cause I think I heard somewhere that the expert mode does quite a bit of handholding as well)

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Dec 7, 10 6:54 AM
I liked the game, although it did have a few downsides that have been pointed out already - it was short with a low degree of challenge, even played on expert mode - so I was glad I got it at a sale price.

It was a very pretty game, however, with lovely bright graphics. The game was mostly made up of adventure type interaction versus straight hidden object scenes, so that was a pleasant surprise. The gameplay did seem a little uneven in terms of flow, and also like it might not have been fully developed. There was a garden you were never able to enter, and a bonus section at the end that left you with some inventory items that were never unexplained - very strange.

I would probably still try another by these developers, as they seem to be on the right track in terms of interactive gameplay - they just need to expand some on game length and difficulty level. Overall, in spite of its flaws, it was light and entertaining with a pleasant romantic theme that I enjoyed.

rosieroo
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by rosieroo on Dec 19, 10 10:15 AM
No buy for me too one dimensional , quite like early chidlrens programmes.
Captain Pugwash springs to mind . You can imagine the cardboad characters been moved around , especially when Florences captor takes her to her room.
Made me laugh though.
Have learnt how to make a quill pen and a wax seal so all not in vain. Definate skills needed in the 21st century .

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 1, 11 9:42 PM
Too simple. Too short (about 2 hours). Graphics were so-so. I really do not like stories revolving around a female character who only cares about her appearance and snagging a man to take care of her. C'mon developers, this is the 21st century, women actually have more interests, even back then. Ick. Not for me.

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Feb 14, 11 1:53 PM
To the developer:

If you are going to place a game in a specific time period, in this case 1830, PLEASE get the major details correct. The clothes and hair are completely wrong, not to mention that a young girl of that time would not be wearing powder or painting her nails. It doesn't really take all that much effort to google the subject.

You can't get a quill from a bird that small. Usually they come from geese or other large birds, so getting one from the kitchen would have made more sense. And you don't attach a nib to a qill, you just carve the point into the shaft of the feather.

Too frustrated to continue the game.

hidden007
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by hidden007 on Sep 8, 11 8:44 PM
I played the demo before buying, and I couldn't wait to see how it ended. While I enjoyed the music and graphics, I feel like there weren't enough hidden object scenes. I really don't like the puzzles they had us do (mainly the ones where you have to switch panels around to make a picture). I also felt like it moved along to quickly, with no suspense. It is a VERY SHORT game, and I am not the kind of person that flies through these games very easy. I guess I was hoping there would be more excitement or drama. It is a nice, simple game for those who just want to play without thinking much. I liked it, but couldn't help feeling a little disappointed at the end.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Oct 22, 11 12:52 PM
The reviews seemed reasonable so I gave it a quick tryout on the demo.

Looked a bit yuck but I wanted to support the cancer research so I bought it as a DD.

I only played it right through to the end because I spent money on it.

Bored to tears, annoyed at being sent to places without having to think, not really my game at all. BUT - all in a good cause so what the hell.

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 12:53:29 PM PST

[Post New]by firedragon1 on Apr 3, 12 9:49 PM
SUCKS!!!!!!! How many times am I suppose to try to put the veggies in the pan?

25, 50, 75::: How about all damn day....and still doesn't work...whats up with that. get a walkthrough......

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on Jul 8, 12 8:41 AM
colourful graphics. nice music, hints load quickly and challenging puzzles. well done big fish

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 27, 12 9:46 AM
Good grief, not even for 2.99 would I waste money on this one. I got so tired of that girl popping up everytime I could scream. Talk about a "hand-holder". Draggy curser, slow...slow...slow. Lasted about 15 minutes in the demo before I wanted to run screaming from my desk....so far I give a 1.5 and only because the music and graphics were nice....arrrrgh.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Nov 27, 12 10:06 AM
Beautiful, slightly different game. Love the graphics. So different from so many (other games so common out there. Reminds me a bit of the book "Pride and Prejudice".

Kudos to World-Loom. I saw a few mentions from folks on how it's a "kids" game - well, it's not. It's just a sad comment on the world that if the subject matter isn't occultish, dark, or creepy it must be only for kids.

I've only played the demo, but so far, I've enjoyed it. I think the puzzles could have been stepped up a notch, tho.

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 10:08:16 AM PST

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Feb 14, 13 5:23 PM

A quick and easy 'not for me.'

Never have I run across a game that holds your hand to the point of being sweaty, but not give you any idea where you are going!

Very odd, indeed.

Angel

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on May 3, 13 8:20 PM
I just completed this game on Big Fish's Streaming Games and liked it ok
This is the first time for me completing a HOG game that was streaming...The graphics were clear and I was playing the free version...I liked the storyline and I also am admitting the game is kind of 'olde' fashioned and had a tendency to drag from scene to scene but I was able to find even very small objects like thimble and small keys.
Did not know whether to post review of Streaming Games here or not but here it is:/

Go to: