JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Column of the Maya

[Post New]by JanG7 on Oct 18, 10 8:44 AM
Played 40 minutes of the demo and it felt like I had played for hours. Very boring and items were very difficult to find. Graphics were just OK and the music was putting me to sleep. At least I gave it a try but no buy for me.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Oct 18, 10 8:52 AM
CasualGran wrote:
vickie39 wrote:
......The problem seems to me to be "foreign" developers. How bout BUY AMERICAN?

Oh my.... I hoped never having to see a one-sided comment like this on the forums. But... here is one, written in capital letters even.

Vickie39, I disagree TOTALLY. And I would exactly write why, if it wouldn't be agianst the BF rules for these forums... Man.... fracking unbelievable...

I agree with you CasualGran. I bet her computer and components aren't made in America. Me, I enjoy games from all over the world. Keeps life interesting.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 18, 10 8:52 AM
Well, I finished the game, and it was much better than the reviews here indicate, but there were several drawbacks to it, so I can understand why a lot of fishies don't want to buy it.

Cons: graphics were not sharp in many areas, and combined with the teeny tiny objects it made finding everything very difficult. The game was also very sort, about 2-1/2 hours if you read everything but don't waste as much time as I did on the watch. Most of us aren't fans of Spot the Difference scenes.

Pros: The dialog was hilarious, and the solution to the watch puzzle had me in stitches. The Spot the difference scenes were the easiest places to find things, so they weren't too bad (I really hate the ones where you have to decide if something is a different shade of red or a fraction of an inch smaller in one view), and the final puzzle was difficult but not impossible to solve, it really made me think.

Finally, my opinion on foreign or buy American: Many of the fishies are not American, so telling them they should only buy our products isn't really fair to them. I would never buy a car that was not made in America by an American company, and I try to purchase local and American (AND union) products when available, but most of us in the gaming community know that some of the best games are not produced in the USA, so I am willing to try other countries' products.

I've seen posts from Germany, Austrailia, Canada, and England in the past few weeks, so if they are willing to BUY here, I have no problems at least demo-ing products from their countries.

(edited because I misspelled "buy" - it's been a tough morning.

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 8:55:32 AM PST

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Oct 18, 10 8:58 AM
peglegann wrote:
WinonaCook wrote:
goofyduck77 wrote:I was told my reviews are too long so I'll try to keep it shorter

Goofy, please don't change the way you do your reviews. If I don't like the way someone posts I just ignore their posts. I don't ask them to change them I just read the ones I do appreciate and I sooooooooo appreciate yours. As I do many others here.

Thanx so much to you and all the others that take the time to review no matter how long or short they are.

Winona

Well said Winona

I Agree....don't change a thing!!

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 18, 10 9:19 AM
I'm not going to comment on the person advocating just buying American produced games, just the remark. I'm English but you won't find me saying that all games should be made in England. We are a global society and the internet is global. So in my opinion this is a ridiculous, undemocratic and almost racist remark.

To the game: it is a shame that the HOG scenes are rather poor as the dialogue is very funny. I lasted the hour and never did find where the hint was pointing to!! As I say, shame, as it might have been quite good.

[Post New]by wongle01 on Oct 18, 10 9:19 AM
Horrible, dismal, dreadful. Need I say more? Lasted 5 minutes. Needless to say a ' no buy' for me.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 18, 10 9:24 AM
The graphics are fair to poor. The gameplay is poor as objects are small, dark and often mishapen. The story, however, is brillant. I loved the dialogue. The characters are fun, intelligent and I wanted to know more about them. Too bad the HOG was so sad as it brings the game's level down.

This game is a C. Great story, bad HOG.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 18, 10 9:43 AM
CasualGran wrote:
vickie39 wrote:
......The problem seems to me to be "foreign" developers. How bout BUY AMERICAN?

Oh my.... I hoped never having to see a one-sided comment like this on the forums. But... here is one, written in capital letters even.

Vickie39, I disagree TOTALLY. And I would exactly write why, if it wouldn't be agianst the BF rules for these forums... Man.... fracking unbelievable...
Couldn't agree more with you Casualgran, I'm horrified !!!!!!!!!!! Are we all, non-american, big satans ???? Never dreamt of seing such a comment on a BFG forum, makes me sad, xenophobia all over the world, still "Imagine all the people...now you may think I'm a dreamer...."

[Post New]by birdlady101 on Oct 18, 10 9:44 AM
Just finished the demo and just couldn't get into it. Not one for see the diff stuff..plus the hidden objects were so tiny I was forced to use my magnifying glass. Sorry, no buy for me.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 18, 10 9:52 AM
In fact I was back here to talk about the game.... Just one other little thing : Goofy don't change your style, I love it.
I do agree that graphics are not top, the music, to start with is a little jazzy and quite nice but I only lasted 1/4 of an hour, it's either using a hint or just guessing what on earth the object you're looking for might look like. This game has to be improved in many ways. Hope that was short !

[Post New]by tinkerbell63 on Oct 18, 10 10:23 AM
If you're ever bored enough to enjoy this game, you should probably find some kind of volunteer work to do. Dr. Good's comment about STDs (spot the dif mini games) was funnier than any attempt at humor in the game.

The rat-faced girl-character seems to assume that her uncle is dead (later, maybe kidnapped) and helps herself to anything in his office that takes her fancy without the slightest show of affection or concern. It's no surprise she's involved with shady villains. Hints are needed, as some necessary actions make no sense at all. ("Of course the code is on my uncle's [spoiler], and three of the numbers look different.")

Jazz music for a Mayan antiquities hunt? The apple looks more like a smashed kumquat. There's too much in this game that is annoying, dumb and a waste of your time and money. A definite No Buy.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 18, 10 10:26 AM
As much as I like HOGs, this one is not for me. The graphics are too cartoon like and the objects are way too hard to find (too small to see or hidden in dark places that you can't see). Have to agree with everyone else, after 4 minutes of place, decided no purchase from me.

sniffll
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by sniffll on Oct 18, 10 10:37 AM
HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! There are so many games coming out on BFG that are so under par. I think they are just pumping out games for the $$$. This one is one of the WORST. Graphics stink-the worst ever! Even when you use the hint button you either can't find or can't recognize many of the items. This and other games of late mislabel items so you are searching for the wrong item: i.e. calling a hose a tube, a lute a guitar. I have found countless other examples in many games of late. I have a coupon code for a free game and can't even find anything worthwhile to spend it on. I already have the good games!

And ditto, ditto, ditto all of you who are sick and tired of the story line and ugly, two dimensional looking graphics (like a piece of Denny's bacon).

If this keeps up I will cancel my membership since I don't want to have to choose from ridiculous game offerings.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Oct 18, 10 10:50 AM
Poutoule wrote:It has been a long time since a grandfather was reported missing ! Can't they just keep an eye on ageing people ?. Downloading, but your comments were like a cold shower. Will let you know.

Laughing Out Loud!!

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Oct 18, 10 10:55 AM
I a gree with most of the remarks about how poor this game is. I will pass on this one. You have to have perfect vision to see some or just lucky when you hit an item. Some of your games have gone down hill. Very poor choices you are pickiing out.

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 4:50:25 PM PST

[Post New]by REB5299 on Oct 18, 10 11:54 AM
I may be old and blind, but this games is really awful!!! Some things are badly drawn, others don't resemble what they are supposed to be and you have to click some things several times to get it 'just right'! Sorry, I put in 30 minutes and that was way toooooooooo llllllooooonnnnnggggg! Couldn't get me to buy this, even at 99% discount!!!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 18, 10 12:23 PM
CasualGran wrote:
vickie39 wrote:

Yeah, I agree CasualGran. I agreed with her on my reply to her post about what a horrible game it was .The other I let slide because I didn't want to get into trouble. (I think I'm already on "double secret" probation. The American thing.......the planet is too small and we're here for such a short time. There just isn't room in my life for people bashing based on where they live on this orb or what color they are or.........there just isn't room for it for any reason.
Dr.good

CasualGran..........I hate it when you're right all the time!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 18, 10 12:37 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:I was told my reviews are too long so I'll try to keep it shorter without too many details.

Don't change a thing! You can already see how many fishies stand with you and your reviews. You are a valuable asset here. Keep it up!

vickie39 wrote:
The problem seems to me to be "foreign" developers. How bout BUY AMERICAN?

My 2cents on "Buy American": As you choose, but you'll miss out on so many wonderful games. Talent, especially artistic talent, is not exclusive to America.
I live in Seattle. I support local businesses, one of which is . But I also welcome contributions from game developers from all around the world!
Just my opinion, but I'm pretty sure no "foreign" developer ever put one single "American" out of work. Especially not with this game !! After 15 minutes trial, game got from me.

oakley007
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by oakley007 on Oct 18, 10 12:41 PM
I was disappointed within 15 minutes of demo. Graphics are so poor that I just clicked wildly. Who knew that brown spec beside the books were sugar cubes? Moving on.

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Oct 18, 10 12:42 PM
I gave it a TRY, and it is a NO BUY. I played the whole demo, and I really tried to like this one. The graphics are too dark, and some of the the objects are too small. I gave up when I had to find the "generator", which was extremely darker, and smaller than most of the objects around it. Objects should also look like what they are suppose to be. I don't know if it gets better as you go. This will be a great "DD" for $2.99, but not "The Catch of the Week". If someone purchased this game, and like it, please post your review.

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 1:01:19 PM PST

Go to: