Krissy41
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Atlantis: Mysteries of Ancient Inventors

[Post New]by Krissy41 on Nov 2, 10 1:17 PM
I thought it was very boring, just a typical HOG and the objects were a little hard to see. Not a buy for me but if you like it have fun with it

[Post New]by rainangel5301 on Nov 2, 10 1:53 PM
I don't "chime in" very often because everyone else is so eloquant and thorough! I do read the forum before purchasing, and often before trying a game. This game is actually pretty good, once you get past the cartoonish characters. It was pretty easy, not much of a challenge (I finally found the elusive battery!!), learned a long time ago to check out every little corner! I'll probably hold off for a longer game, more challenging, and buy this one on sale.

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Nov 2, 10 3:41 PM

I don't understand why someone would complain about the length of someone's review???

If you don't like long reviews ???skip them??? hello????

Others do like an in depth review - Just sayin'!!!!! ;>}

[Post New]by nammyohorengekyo on Nov 2, 10 3:43 PM
Do not think it's up to Big Fish standards. Leaves a player out in the cold quite often. Spent about 15 minutes, got past the flash light, played on to collect keys and game stopped back in the room where the compasses had been collected. No clue as to where to go from there. Wasn't worth the download.

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Nov 2, 10 4:10 PM
BORING! I've done about 6 'clean up my mess' scenes and the story hasn't progressed. Not a buy for me.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Nov 2, 10 4:18 PM
After playing the demo for 55 minutes: I enjoyed this game. The hidden objects are fairly easy to find and mostly in logical places. The hint system refreshes really fast and you can skip mini-games without a wait. I don't think there is a click penalty. You have a choice of timed or relaxed play. The story may be a bit weak, but I found the gameplay to be interesting with different kinds of searches.
I really enjoyed all the different "trophies" that kept popping up for different reasons: finding items fast, a minimum of wrong clicks, etc.
Unfortunately, I forgot about looking for the compasses in every scene, though I did find a few. I enjoyed most of the mini-games, I like jigsaws, easy find-the-difference, and word search games.
This is a straight HOG, which is very relaxing when you don't want to tax your brain or have to follow a walkthrough for a more complicated IHOG (though I like those also)
This is a definite buy for me, once I get my punchcard credits this week.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 2, 10 4:49 PM
Really liked the graphics, but after finding all the compasses, I was supposed to find a hidden one. Well, I didn't, all I can tell you is that there's no penalty for random clicking as I spent five minutes cliking every inch of the room. Got fed up, may be I'm not clever enough for this game, but it really annoyed me to feel so stupid because of a stupid compass..... Glad I hadn't a hidden key to find earlier on in the game or I would have strangled Grandpa.

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Nov 2, 10 10:36 PM
I thought the graphics were cartoonish, the story was boring and there wasn't any challenge to the game.

Re: the current discussion: I guess it depends on why you come to the forums. Personally, I like to get an overview on how many people liked or didn't like a game--I don't care why so I don't need a blow by blow discription. Being an independent sort, I still try it for myself but since we are all gamers I find that I usually agree with the majority on liking a game so thats all I need and it gives me an idea going in. I don't buy a game based on one person's opinion, I like to judge for myself. Just sayin.

And heidieO---the flashlight is used in further rooms that are dark.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 3, 10 2:32 AM
LapTopDancerr wrote:Re: Lengthy Reviews:
I have noticed a new trend for lonnnnng reviews right after a new game is released, which equates to me as it is written by someone that has actually played the game in it's entirety only to find that most of these long "reviews" are based on the 60 minute trials. Some even say at the end they didn't even play the full hour. All of us have access to the free trial but not the purchased game. These long 'non' reviews are a waste of time to read and a disservice to the other fishies and the deveopers. There are too many unknowns after the trial is over such as glitches, storyline, etc. Comments on new games are OK.....whether it's on a demo or complete game. But a detailed review? Those should be reserved for a completed game. Please clarify at the start of your review what you're basing it on. It's starting to look like a contest between the same first few posters who are prolific writers to see who posts first. I have started to skip the first couple of pages for this reason, and read the 'real' reviews that appear later from people who have actually played the complete game.

I have to agree with you, LTD. I always thought that those with a more professional and longer review were talking about the full game, having assumed that those people who write them have played the full game.

I do appreciate a longer, more detailed review, but would also prefer to know whether the review is for the full game or just the demo.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Nov 3, 10 5:00 AM
My 2 cents about long reviews. I read the long reviews posted and enjoy the input. If you are not in the mood to read just skip the review. I hope our long posters do not give in to these complainers and start to edit themselves. I look forward to and look for reviews that go beyond a single line opinion.

This is a straight hog with nice graphics. It is uncomplicated and those who long for the good old days of the early HOGs will have fun. It is not a lavishly produced game and the story is the same old clean up after grandpa thing, but that's ok for me because rarely do I follow the story. I rate Madame Fate one of the best at 10 and Secrets of the Vatican one of the worst. at 0 I would put this one around 6 to 7.

Edited on 11/03/2010 at 5:09:33 AM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 3, 10 9:04 AM
There's something about this game that I can't quite put my finger on. Because if I did I'd get slapped.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 3, 10 9:51 AM
I like this game and plan on using a punch card credit to buy it. It is very straight forward and pretty easy so I do understand that it isn't everyones cup of tea. For myself though I enjoy the variety of hidden object screens and mini games and I appreciate the quick hint system. The graphics are quite nice although the characters tend to be cartoonish. The two downfalls I find in the game are; not being able to speed up through the introduction and the music got monotonous very quickly. I also found the lack of an inventory a bit disconcerting. Not sure if I like that or not.

rosieroo
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by rosieroo on Nov 3, 10 11:45 AM
It was ok, quite cartoonish in the dialogue.
Same old same old not a buy for me as I would play and complete once ,and it would diasapear into obscurity with a few other games I have purchased.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 3, 10 8:20 PM
I found the HOGs kinda refreshing. After all the complaints about objects way out of scale and perspective, or out of place cigarettes the size of refrigerators, devs seem to be getting more logical. Except this one LOL. Like the good old days, can't think of other game titles to compare, but I was so proud of myself finding that itty bitty typewriter on the desk it made me laugh. I thought we wanted more challenges, less in our face too easy HOGs. Then I was to find 2 balls on that list, found one, left to Options to turn off teeny loop music grating on my thinking process, resumed and was back at the close up of the desk, saw a ball, clicked on it, but it wasn't even on this list that I noticed, just wondered if it counted as the other 2. My eyes challenged focusing and refocusing and telling my brain to not interfere demanding logic. Little things are big, big things small, all in the game challenge.

I enjoy word games, not many of them around, so like the word search minis and such.Don't think I've seen those since Prime Suspects. I like jigsaws too or rearranging tiles for a picture. Don't think one would call this "linear" which I prefer in ihogs over getting lost in circles and guessing directions. I kept clicking on something that thrust me into yet another scene, not knowing how to go back, between looking for compasses and keys then a safe to open. But if others think it is for ages 9 and under, well I guess I'll figure out how to get around in this. The cartoons are only in between the gameplay scenes which are crisp, clear, colorful (so far). I had to quit using too much demo time on the flashlight, came here and found the tip. Had already figured out (by accident) the knife one. So, didn't feel tooooo stupid when I saw all the other help stuck posts. Couldn't be tooooo easy to get bored for me.

A buy when I finish Phantom. I need the break before starting 3 other brain blasters, I'm just tired I guess. Hey, I still haven't even found Atlantis yet in Nemo, but Samantha worked me overtime. Devs just follow where the money is til someone starts a new trend I guess, the tried and true til someone can afford to stick their neck out and can afford to do a change of pace. I guess going back to "the roots" of HOGs with just a touch of new thrown in is safe. And also brings in new players. I'm tired of every game compared to RTR, had that been my first or 5th or 10th even I probably would not be here with over 200 games in my HIstory.

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Nov 4, 10 4:01 AM
I love it and I am definetly buying it

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 4, 10 12:14 PM
Maybe as a DD but definitely not full price.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Nov 4, 10 6:01 PM
I only managed 35 min of the demo before saying "enough"! I do not like trying to find things in the dark with a flashlight. The first scene seemed promising after I got used to the graphics and I liked the 'put things together'. By the time I got to the library the music was becoming annoying. The desk scene seemed unnecessarily difficult and silly. Why not just have one figure out things that do not belong on a desk?

Was very disappointed because the beginning had me thinking 'WoW' great graphics and then it went downhill from there. The mini games were the best part in being a little different from the ordinary but they were not enough to make up for the rest of the rest.

BTW, I like long reviews. They really help me decide on whether I want to take the time to try out a game. Keep them up!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 4, 10 9:26 PM
This one is a pass. B.O.R.I.N.G. I only lasted 20 minutes before I'd had enough. It sounded great... I like the idea of searching for a lost cache of books from Atlanta and I thought maybe it would have an Indiana Jones feel based on the copycat opening screen but no such luck. After a quick stop at the girls first archealogical dig (from which she stole a valuable artifact no less) I spent the rest of the 20 minutes at Grandpa's place. Didn't even get to participate in finding the artifact it was just told in a prestory. I love stories in games but this one really lacks originality. Your basic girl finds cool artifact and then runs to grandad for help story.

It's a straight hog with no inventory... some combining of objects in the hog scenes which alternated looking from a list and finding all of a certain object. The graphics were ok but too cartoony for me and not in a cool manga way either. The items seemed to fit the story for the most part. Most were size appropriate at least they weren't off enough to catch my attention. Some were really small and hard to tell what they were. There is no misclick penalty (I played untimed) so I supposed you could just go crazy clicking until you accidentally hit whatever it is you're looking for. The item list scrolls so you don't get to see everything all at once which was annoying when you could tell you needed something but weren't allowed to click it until it came up on the screen.

Some may like it but it's not up to today's standards for games I don't think. I kept waiting for it to get interesting and it just never happened. I don't know if there are puzzles or mini-games... either I didn't play long enough to get to them or they were so meh I forgot them already.

[Post New]by maryfrancesw on Nov 5, 10 1:44 PM
I have downloaded, but the games doesn't start. I try to start again and it says another one is running. I check task and nothing. I have to restart pc, delete and download again. Same thing.
Thank you in advance for any help.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 5, 10 4:43 PM
i'm thinking this could very well be summed up as 'pamela sue jones begs grandpa for money to hotshot around the world' and although i only played about twenty minutes... i found the game fairly non-engaging and highly offensive...

this one is definitely going to the can!

Go to: