lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for 3 Days - Amulet Secret

[Post New]by lilyr on Nov 3, 10 1:34 PM
SueDee67 wrote:Well, I read Goofyduck, Dr. Good, and Casual Gran for their reviews, and enjoy them very much.

So hang in there Goofyduck! Nobody HAS to read yours, nor anyone else's.
Good job all!
My time is fairly limited, so I rely on reviews to help me know what games to even demo, let alone buy. I appreciate (and rely on) these 3 reviewers and Cherbtoo. Please keep up te good work.

Sorry for the hijack.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 3, 10 1:58 PM
Well, Goofyduck, you may be long winded, but I like your comments. Very informative...keep it up. As long as people stay on task, I don't care how long their reviews are. Not sure about a buy on this one yet. Didn't like the sacrifice, but kept going to see what happened. Glad it didn't, or this review would say a whole lot more. Didn't much care for the cartoon like graphics, music okay, games okay (some a little different than most). A few games didn't have an explanation of what was expected of you, so was a bit confusing there until I figured them out. Objects not hard to find, but not real easy either. Only thing I really didn't like was that you couldn't skip through all the needless chatter (okay, some of it wasn't, but most was). Will have to think about this one before I use a game credit.

Edited on 11/03/2010 at 2:00:08 PM PST

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Nov 3, 10 2:38 PM
SMQMC wrote: Goofyduck and Doctorgood are two of my most favorite reviewers. Keep up the good work since I believe that's what this forum is for, comments along with your reviews!!

Agreed!

Jess

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Nov 3, 10 3:18 PM
I don't play game with an occult theme if I feel like I am participating in the occult, ie working with tarot cards etc. So I worried a little about the animal sacrificing but decided to try the game to see. The opening does depict the druids and stonehenge and eventually you "find" animals for his sacrifice, but it stops there. I have played only the first 2 levels, so 29 levels will be long for me. The opening with the druids did have some flashing, I get migraines, but it wasn't that bright to me, could be the settings or the laptop.The second level has a click to go right and left to have three scenes to explore, nothing like a 360 degree adventure game. And as an old adventure gamer, it is really mild compared to adventure games of early days. All in all, it was an enjoyable demo, not a hard game, I would love to buy, but got a dreaded error violation as I exited, and with only 2 minutes left, I am not sure I could get back in.

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Nov 3, 10 3:51 PM
Goofyduck ,please don't stop your reviews.After reading it I go straight to download the game ,sometimes without doing the demo first I always had to read Poodlebear before buying the game ,i miss her but we have you .Keep up the good work!

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 3, 10 4:11 PM
As long as no more animal sacrifice and as long as the weather effects calm down, I'm adding this to my Maybe List. I'll be watching reviews for info on the completed game as to those 2 points.

The only reference to sacrifices is in the first chapter.

The lightning recurs when you go back to Stonehenge, but most of the chapters do not have weather effects.

Robin

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 3, 10 4:54 PM
OFF TOPIC: All this furor over a brief mention of animal sacrifice reminds me of the indignant members' anger about the drinking in The Great Gatsby game.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Nov 3, 10 4:54 PM
Played 40 minutes and quit
I had no issue with the story line
my issues were with the background flashing lights / falling snow etc
and the music is terrible
when I got to a scrolling scene it moved so fast it hurt my eyes and my nausea control
yuck

Delta77
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by Delta77 on Nov 3, 10 6:53 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:First, let me preface this preview based on the demo, that I am very well aware that the negative comments regarding long reviews are directed at me. I don’t think it is fair, because not once have I indicated it is required reading, nor has BFG staff or moderators indicated I was doing anything considered inappropriate. I think the subject has been beaten to death and we need to move on. Since a vast majority of fishies indicated they favored looooooong reviews, I will continue.

Don't stop the reviews. If someone doesn't like long reviews or like to read them because of the length, they don't have to read them. I find your reviews informative and sometimes base my purchase decisions on them particularly when pressed for time.

LaDeeDah
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by LaDeeDah on Nov 3, 10 6:56 PM
Just played a few minutes and thinking I might use one of my punch card coupons for this one. It's definitely unique. I've been in the mood for something a bit lighter and this one seems to fit the bill. A familiar storyline with the usual elements and not too sophisticated. Okay by me for a change of pace. For those who got turned off with the "sacrifice" idea at the beginning, no sacrifice is pictured. You round up the animals and that's it. From the WT it appears to be a good long game.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Nov 3, 10 7:08 PM
Well I demoed and purchased the game. The mini-games are unique and fairly easy and I only had to skip one so far. I am up to level 9 and have been playing for a couple of hours, so with 29 levels the whole game will probably take me 5 or 6 hours.
The flashing lights in the first scene, Stonehedge were even bothering me, and I don't get migraines, so I can see how they could really bother some players. However, the rest of the graphics so far have been bright, and I haven't run across anymore flashing lights, that i have noticed.
The music is lighthearted, like circus music and the whole theme of the game seems to be lighthearted, not like the first scene at all.
The hidden object searches are a bit challenging and I did have to use a few hints. I like how you have to interact with certain portions of the scenes, by opening drawers, opening curtains, etc., to find some of the objects.
This game is a bit different from the usual HOG games and is a lot of fun.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Nov 3, 10 8:50 PM
I'm glad I read the comments about the animal sacrifice parts, or I would have turned the game off right then. I played the demo, but it just didn't grab me. The first game was fun, but I wish they would have enhanced the graphics some for this game. I do love that you can open curtains and move objects around to get to the important objects on your list. It's mostly a "cute and light" game, and some days I prefer to play those instead of an intense mystery. This might be one of those games that I buy (with a punch card coupon!) for a rainy day.

P.S. Goofyduck, keep on reviewing! Your in-depth reviews are really useful.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 3, 10 9:15 PM

I've been playing this game for about 10 hours, off and on (mostly on), and I've only reached level 26 out of 29 total levels!!!

One of the game play elements I love about these 3 Days games is the "ting" sound effect and blooming enlarging graphic of the object when you find the object.

Anyway, I've stopped playing the game here because I know I will be a little sad to see the end of the game....

Its not Shakespeare or Mark Twain but its alot of fun.

BBB10
Clownfish
Clownfish
715 Posts

[Post New]by BBB10 on Nov 3, 10 9:29 PM
GrammaKj wrote:Definite "NO BUY" for me. When it came to sacrificing animals (dogs and cats) I quit the game and uninstalled. I don't even like the concept. Very offensive to me.

GrammaKj, as soon as I read your review, that too, is enough for me!! I won't touch it!! Thank you for giving your comment so precisly and quickly!!

BBB10

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 3, 10 10:14 PM
[Post New] by robin94122 on Nov 3, 10 8:55 AM

This is a Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game. Many hidden object scenes. In some cases, you are collecting items that will be used again in the scene. In other cases it's a reverse Find List--you have to put the objects from the Find List back into the scene. In still others you have to match the objects on the Find List with objects in the scene like (hypothetical, not a spoiler) a Fish with a Fishbowl. Read the character dialogue--it will tell you what to do each time.

The puzzles (mini-games) are interesting. They're all part of the story. Some are pretty easy--some have up to 10 rounds and are fairly hard. There are 60 of them all together. They don't generally require physical dexterity, they're logical or things like jigsaw puzzles.

If you choose to skip a puzzle, you do a special Hidden Object Challenge scene instead. The background for this challenge is always the same, but the objects as well as the Find List vary. Note that it's different from the Hidden Object Scenes in the main game, which do have varied backgrounds. This one is just an alternative to a plain SKIP.

There are no hints for the puzzles, but there are for the Hidden Object Challenge, so you shouldn't get stuck.

One very important point--this game autosaves at the end of each Level, but ONLY at the end of each level. The Levels are medium-length, usually 2 puzzles and 2 to 4 Find Lists. In most cases if you leave the game before you've completed the entire level, you'll have to start the level over from the beginning when you return.

I enjoyed the game a lot. It had both length and variety, and I liked that the puzzles were part of the story.

Good luck!
Robin

Fantastic review--thank you, Robin.
I've bought the game & am enjoying it tremendously--terrific fun, perfect level of challenge, great graphics/artwork & puzzles. 4+

[Post New]by rainangel5301 on Nov 3, 10 10:51 PM
After the initial load (which took foooorever!), I really enjoyed this game. The story gets a little lost when the character's "memory" comes and goes selectively, but it is a nice, lengthy game with interesting puzzles between chapters. Some of the puzzles are ridiculously simple, and others are very difficult, with no actual directions, but still fun. This is the only game I've played that gives you an alternative object search if you want to skip a mini-game! But in all, it holds the interest, and I haven't gone blind on this game, at least! Graphics are very good, locations interesting, and some characters add a bit of humor. Enjoy!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 3, 10 11:22 PM
I do not like the lightening in the first chapter. Struggled through this, although it was very annoying. Took me a minute to figure out the brolly! LOL! Also, I did not like the snow in the next chapter. Personally I found some of the objects hard to find and had to use the hints quite a bit. One of the puzzles did not make sense, (the 3 blocks with the arrows on). There is an exit AND a quit button. The first time I pressed the exit button it took me back to windows but did not close, so the game was running in the background!
What surprised me was that when I did quit, and go back in, there is no warning that you will have to start the chapter from the beginning!! (If there was I MISSED it Looking at the walkthrough the graphics appear to get clearer so a probable buy for me.
Commenting on reviewers. Are we done with this yet??? I DO hope so
Enjoy the game, those who have bought it.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 3, 10 11:37 PM
One of the puzzles did not make sense,

I think the developers were ttrying to make the puzzles flow with the story, so they don't stop you and say, "Here's a mini-game. Here are its rules." like a lot of games do.

Instead, you're supposed to arrive at the puzzle with an idea of what you're triyng to do based on the story up to that point. The clues are usually in the character dialogue from the preceding two or three scenes.

Just to be safe, we give full instructions for all of the puzzles (as well as solutions) in the Blog Walkthrough. In the puzzle with the 3 blocks with arrows in Tibet, the information was in a character dialogue a couple of scenes earlier. You need to balance the three blocks (line up the 3 arrows) so they're all even. You balance them by putting items of various weights in the three storage areas. In this case you got the information about the goal of the puzzle from dialogue before the previous Find List (when you were collecting items to use in meeting that goal), so you may not remember it by the time you get to the puzzle itself.

As the game goes on you get used to this style, and start to pay a little more attention to the dialogue, which makes the puzzles a little clearer. But you can always check the walkthrough if it's still unclear.

The EXIT button ends the game entirely (or at least it's supposed to). The QUIT button takes you back to the Main Menu so you can access the Puzzles directly if you want. We cover that and a few of the other quirks in the General Tips section of the Blog Walkthrough.

Robin

p.s. To get to the Blog Walkthrough, click on the Try this Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

Edited on 11/03/2010 at 11:47:24 PM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 3, 10 11:56 PM

As above, the puzzles and mini-games make sense in the unfolding of the story not just stuck in to pad the length. I usually dislike mini-games and puzzles in most HOGs but I actually enjoyed these because there is some relevant motivation to do them to further the story.
This lady never meets anyone who is capable of doing any task and its actually kind of amusing after awhile.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 4, 10 12:04 AM
robin94122 wrote:
Just to be safe, we give full instructions for all of the puzzles (as well as solutions) in the Blog Walkthrough. In the puzzle with the 3 blocks with arrows in Tibet, the information was in a character dialogue a couple of scenes earlier. You need to balance the three blocks (line up the 3 arrows) so they're all even. You balance them by putting items of various weights in the three storage areas. In this case you got the information about the goal of the puzzle from dialogue before the previous Find List (when you were collecting items to use in meeting that goal), so you may not remember it by the time you get to the puzzle itself.
As the game goes on you get used to this style, and start to pay a little more attention to the dialogue, which makes the puzzles a little clearer. But you can always check the walkthrough if it's still unclear.
Robin

p.s. To get to the Blog Walkthrough, click on the Try this Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

Thank you Robin. The walkthrough for the particular puzzle, says "possible solution", I understood the concept but not the relevance of the three objects in their line. I appreciate your time on this full reply

Go to: