Your Comments and Reviews for Downtown Secrets

[Post New]by tillytot on Nov 6, 10 6:17 AM
bfgImbrium wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Downtown Secrets? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Downtown Secrets

[Post New]by tillytot on Nov 6, 10 6:21 AM
I loved this game, and the music for it is great, the game is very intriguing and exciting I wish you had the trial a bit longer, as I was starting to get in to it.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Nov 6, 10 6:28 AM
I thought the graphics were nice and sharp and enjoyed the storyline throughout the demo.

Some of the objects pretty small (even with my glasses on). I am not sure about purchasing this game after so many stated game was on short side.

I am so spoiled with the "talkies" wish this game had that feature. It sure helps with the migraines lol.

Decisions, decisions.
Happy gaming to all

Care

ps
LOL I couldnt stand it, purchased and did enjoy it. After purchase I played a little less than an hour to completion.

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 8:13:18 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 6, 10 9:07 AM
I found the items too small as well as others did. I did a lot of random clicking to try to find things. From some of the reviews mentioning puzzles I would have liked to get to them! As I got irritated trying to find things, I am normally patient, I had to come out after 25 minutes. No buy for me.

singin
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by singin on Nov 6, 10 11:13 AM
The storyline is good but it is a short game. I play slowly, usually reading all the dialogue, but even so, found it to be rather short. The hint system powers up timely enough but some of the items were very small to see. To those who have not yet purchased the game, wait for the DD.

pato5
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by pato5 on Nov 6, 10 11:39 AM
Items too small to find. Not buying

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Nov 6, 10 1:42 PM
thanks to goofyduck77 for an excellent review, as always.

after demo and reading various reviews, i decided this was a buy for me.

not too hard, not too easy, like baby bear this was Just Right....

the challenge level was rather good, and i enjoyed the dialogue, as well. no
extraneous drivel, which was a big plus for me.

Good Job!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Nov 6, 10 1:54 PM
oh yeah, reference the next MCF, i can hardly wait. i read, also, that it was being released this month, hope it was true!

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

Downtown Secrets what a shame

[Post New]by psylocibin on Nov 6, 10 1:57 PM
CAn not see the stuff easily, too small and blurry and the story looked good. Too frustrating to buy. what a shame.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 6, 10 5:06 PM
Interesting story. Found a good portion of the items hard to find, however I was very tired when playing the demo. Interesting hint system. The one good thing about it was it renewed quickly.I think I may have liked to have a voice over as I was sometines losing focus just reading lines but my fatigue may have been a factor. I can see this appealing to a lot of people, for me it's good but not enough to purchase.

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Nov 6, 10 5:34 PM
What a WONDERFRUL game! Have put it to the top of my list of games to buy! The graphics are great the story line is actually a story line! The hints refresh very quickly and to have an actual picture of the hint is excellent!.You can click everywhere and not be punished! Congratulations BFG you got your mojo back this month, especially with this game.

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Nov 6, 10 6:28 PM
Only 1-1/2 hours long??? What a gyp that was!!!

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Nov 6, 10 7:22 PM
I was very disappointed with this game as I had high hopes. Unfortunately, I found the 'hand holding' too much; I like to work things out myself. Also, a lot of the objects were tinsy tiny so I either used a hint or clicked everywhere to find it.

A no buy.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Nov 6, 10 8:24 PM
I thought this was awful. I stuck it out for 40 minutes and decided I'd rather have nothing to do than to continue playing this demo. Nothing happens. Just one hidden object list after another. Waste of time.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Nov 6, 10 9:16 PM
I don't know what to think of it, I sort of like it but have come to the bar for 2nd time and after using the ring, am stuck - with no clues and don't know what to do next. So without a walk-through, don't want to get it if I can't proceed ahead. So it's iffy.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Nov 7, 10 2:38 PM
Just finished the game and really like it..was not happy about the way it ended but overall a great game..glad I bought it

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 7, 10 4:57 PM
ok, i only gave this one about ten minutes before i backed out and said - farewell!

this game was super hinky from the get-go... a guy swooning after a lost love, having dreams about her night after night - then out of the blue, she calls him... why?? she's been arrested! 'sup with that? and mr.attorney feels there's nothing else to do but give in and do what she asks of him... not my cup o'tea!

furthermore, i opted out of watching a russian film because i didn't feel like reading everything that was said and going on... am i going to sit here and read a game whose resolution is SO bad, it skips about every third letter?? and the music just made it that much worse... not to mention, it just stopped after a few a minutes and left me in silence - ??? seriously, folks, a little more effort...

so much for a peaceful sunday night with 60 minutes

the distraction i chose just made the heartache more acute...

Astina
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Astina on Nov 7, 10 5:40 PM
1Seashell7 wrote:I have a number of games that load with black bars on the side. I usually exit the game and go to my desktop screen. and right click anywhere on the desktop where there are no icons and then click on graphic properties. That should bring up your graphics programs settings, Look for something that says display settings. I have to click on that and then look for screen resolution. Mine is defaulted to run at 1280 x 800. I pull down the drop down menu and change the setting to 1024 x 768. I then have to hit OK or apply and then have to OK the changes again. I then go back into the game and it runs at full screen without the black bars on the side. You have to remember to go back to the default after you exit the game using the same procedure. i run Vista 32 bit with an Intel graphics card.

Thanks for the info. I've asked the forum several times what do you put the settings on to get a full screen? Nobody ever answered. I tried to find it myself and I must have missed that setting. So Thanks again you made my day!

Edited on 11/07/2010 at 5:41:26 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 8, 10 10:24 AM
I have betatested this game for the developers (iplay) and played it again to see the difference. I have said in my survey, that I really dislike the hintsystem, many items are too diny, too dark. It seems, they haven`t changed anything from my suggestions. I will pass on this game because I like the story, but the game is almost impossible to play for me - much too tiny items are taken the fun of the game. No buy for me

suetyler
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by suetyler on Nov 8, 10 1:42 PM
Good game. Too short. It seems like it didn't really end, but I couldn't find any indication that there was another part.

Go to: