Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Jane Croft: The Baker Street Murder

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 7, 10 6:18 PM
I don't think this is a bad game at all. Yes, it is a straight HOG, but even after years of playing them, I still love to play them. Sometimes, it is nice not to have to be so involved in a game and instead be able to relax. The graphics might be a little primitative, but it only helps to make the objects easier to find. Lately some of the iHOGs have been frustrating because the items are just too small to find. The music was good and didn't get on my nerves and the heroine was likeable.

My main problem and the reason why I won't be purchasing the game is that I finished it with 10 minutes left on my hour demo. I think the storyline was shortened which caused the game to be way too short. I think it could have been drawn out more and still be made interesting. I also wish the minigames had instructions with them. For a new player who might not be familiar with the different types of minigames, their only option is to skip the whole puzzle. It seems like there was a path left for a sequel. One which I hope is much longer than the original.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 7, 10 7:20 PM
I was kind of excited to try this one as I love the Little Noir Stories game and this seemed to have the same atmosphere... it's a straight hog which I've grown out of for the most part but for good graphics and interesting story I'll play them anyway.

Sadly this one just didn't cut it... I lasted all of 8 minutes and the mini-games could have been world class but I wouldn't know as I couldn't take the game any longer to get to them. Instead of actually taking time to create good graphics for atmosphere it's like they just used some digital tricks to fake it. Well sorry, anyone who has played around in photoshop or corel draw can spot that stuff in a heartbeat. Blurred, incomplete, foggy edges, gravelly texture do not a good graphic make.

Then when I came to the hog scenes and they were standard stock graphic junkpiles that was it. I mean seriously... they had us looking for a fingerprint and when I found it (immediately) it was the size a giant might make in comparison to the other graphics. It was also really annoying that we were supposed to be looking for bullets to unlock bonus features and every single hog scene I came to had bullets which I naturally tried to click on but whoops! those don't count. It would have been more professional to leave them out of the hog scenes in that case.

If someone is looking for an easy straight hog, likes the film noir style and doesn't mind some iffy graphics and no story then this should fit the bill... and with all the different players out there it wouldn't surprise me a bit if some like this game.

I was on the fence about today's DD (The Fall Trilogy) but since this TGT is such a stinker I think I'll go pick that up instead and save my credit. Surprising to me too since I do love a good detective/mystery story and love the film noir style. Just not this time. Maybe if enough players pass they'll take it back up and revamp the game as it could be great. (hint hint developers!)

GONGA
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by GONGA on Nov 7, 10 7:40 PM
Holy boring Batman no buy for me,

kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

Re:Your Cments and Reviews for Jane Croft: The Baker Street Murder

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Nov 8, 10 9:13 AM
This is just IMHO w/ fllu & poor vision tho I used my magnifying glass..
-Ordinarily I like sepia shade hiddens, but not this one. e.g.I loved Sleepy Hollow w/ very distinct graphics (my very first BFG).
-I did play the full hr trial, but became more & more frustratrated, and I will say why...
1-I thought the graphics werre very very fuzzy, crowded and [for me] indistinct
2-the llsts of what hiddens to was a kind of a cheat, I thot. Fictional example: find 'rice'. What? a bag/bowl/field/kernal...etc
3-the hiddens were very crowded and indistinct for me
4-they were also junk pile & smooshed together
5-very dark n dim (at least for me)
*** am 'graduating to hiddens that are interactive etc.--no frags for me.also other genres and not doiing too badly LOL
SO, IMHO for the reasons given, not a buy,,,not even a freebie.

To those who enjoy this one, Happy Gaming/GL/have a great time!!!!!
TY BFGs n anm most grateful for 90% of the C&R which I always check. xox Kiss

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Nov 8, 10 10:36 AM
Straight HOG, not too bad on old eyes, but no adventure. I kept waiting for something to do besides search. It is a goo HOG, and if straight HOGs are you bag, I would recommend it. If hogs and adventure are your thing (as it is mine) I'd give it a pass. I would recommend you try thr demo and decide for yourself

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 8, 10 10:50 AM
CasualGran wrote:Comment after playing the demo for 45 minutes:

Straight HOG. Simple detective story, but quite atmospheric. If you liked 'Little Noir Stories: The Case of the Missing Girl' you'll probably like this one. It has kind of the same style and colouring.

Ummm... not really. I own "Little Noir" and love that game, but this one is nothing like it.
What I really didn´t like about this game was the type that was used for the text in the Hidden Objects scenes. Could barely make out what those words were.

And what was that about this mini game with that ball under one of those three huts. I won, but didn´t win anything, if you know what I mean.

I did like the graphics, but gameplay was just not for me.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 8, 10 5:12 PM
I like the storyline and the different graphic. But I dislike, that its not a interactive game - only one room searching after another. I wouldn`t buy it yet, but probably as a Daily Deal.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Nov 8, 10 5:17 PM
Wow. Poor quality graphics - h/o's have nothing to do with the story. I just don't understand who'd purchase this one. Not for me at all.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 8, 10 5:35 PM
in a word.......BORING!

[Post New]by Game_Fearie666 on Nov 8, 10 7:52 PM
Well, the game looked sort of interesting. Was hoping it was more than just a straight HOG.

The graphics were good, but the sepia tone to the background made it very easy to just guess what was on the object list. Whatever seemed more ... light/bright than the background was usually on the list. For me, it makes a game too easy if I can just click on things and not have to look at my object list. Also, you get a penalty for clicking too much. That annoys me a little. Unlimited clues, though, just need to recharge.

Didn't like the fact that there was really no story in the game. Yes, there was a line to it, but not really a story.

The music was fine. It wasn't too loud (didn't have to turn it down) or annoying.

Also, I finished the entire thing during my hour of play. Obviously, I wasn't going to buy it since I finished it. To me, if you can finish the entire thing during the demo, it is WAY too short. It also ended very suddenly.

The game, I think, is great for someone new to HOGs, but may be boring to people who have played HOGs for a while.

Jan69
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Jan69 on Nov 9, 10 12:32 PM
Simple IHOG game except for technical which I hope will be fixed. Way too short for regular price. Excellent as DD for relaxed players. Enjoyed it.

lpslov37
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by lpslov37 on Nov 10, 10 10:05 AM
sandyterryb wrote:Story line seemed interesting as I love a good murder " who done it" mystery. BUT, just the graphics alone were horrible. Could barely make out what some of the items were as the artistry was like one of my Grandchildrens drawings. Also it being a straight HOG I`ve come to find boring. Much prefer more interaction in a game I`m paying for. Hopefully BF will offer more on the Dire Grove type games.

lpslov37
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by lpslov37 on Nov 10, 10 10:08 AM
too short and i could never find more than 10 shells, so i could never play the bonus game, boring and i wasted a game credit on it

[Post New]by tlbsgirl7981 on Nov 11, 10 7:24 PM
I was very disappointed in this game-I played the trial period of 60 minutes and like it so I would buy the game but it maybe lasted 5 more minutes after that. It was not worth the money I spent and very disappointed that I wasted a code to make the game cheaper. I do not recommend buying this game!!

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 12, 10 11:55 AM
I decided to try this game,and could only stomach it for 17 minutes. I was right about the fact that I wouldn't like it the artwork was appalling. Yes there is a way of creating "darker" environments, but they have to be fun, intriguing, that you want to explore and look around, as we are playing hide and seek games-you need to enjoy the environment -this was a big no no.

We started with the alley, then a rubbish tip, and then a gritty bar scene, then going into an appalling showgirls room. It was dreadful, I can't imagine how enthusiastic anyone can be to actually making this game, as it was not good. I think they got it right were they wanted to make sure they had what they wanted in the story, but how it was made is not good. With hide and seek games, we have an environment, which not only wants us to look at the rooms as well as picking up the objects, but we also want to find out what is further then that room and scene. So it should make you want to not only explore that environment, but want to go elsewhere. As above the games was not engaging, just trying to put everything that you think you need to make the game is not good enough. Other games have got away with doing this, because the artwork so much better. If you had a salad, with lots of different fruits (and your making sure that you get all the fruits)-it does not always appeal to people unless you add cream, etc

As mentioned on another thread "unacceptable", the game developer I think mentioned that hard work was placed in this game, you can believe that this is what we think about too!! We are also dissapointed! We don't want you to fail and make poor games. I think that its thankful that Bigfish allowed this game to be on this site and allowed people to play it.

The best game that I played-which I was not the only one who said it was near to perfect was the "Snark busters, Welcome to the Club". The graphics were brilliant, the storyline was engaging, and the game play flowed and enjoyed it, it was an adventure!

The best graphics for darker games was Dark Tales Edgar Allan Poes The Rogue Morgue. I hope that future games are made better, and you would need to not only exceedthis game, but also other games on the market, named two above. As games even released years ago is better then this one.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Nov 12, 10 11:59 AM
Also like to mention as the characters were flat, ie the showgirl saying that she only cares about other girls not getting the money, is not believable as that is not what they would say, but that if she said that she enjoyed receiving gifts from the Millionaire would be believable.

View other games, see the complete difference as its not just about adding what you have to, a game, but making it engaging, storyline, characters, artwork an absolute must is key. We are of course happy to see what else you can do.

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on Nov 15, 10 4:28 PM
Because my brain appears to be wired a bit differently, some interactive HOGS are just too challenging so I thought I would enjoy this straight HOG.There aren't that many and I generally enjoy film noir style games along with sepia tones. I don't like a game that I constantly have to go to leave the game and go to the blog walk-through or need a strategy guide to play.

I enjoy clicking on at least SOME objects that have to do with the game itself (there were very few) and as has been said, some objects are very disproportionate. While not uncommon, to me it's a sign someone was in a hurry and didn't really care about the game. Coudn't find most of the bullets, and it was WAY, WAY too short with a weird ending that was very abrupt. Had I realized just how short it was, I would probably not have gotten it. I do not feel I got my money's worth at all. :::shrugs:::not the first time, probably won't be the last.

gemmabloom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by gemmabloom on Nov 19, 10 5:17 PM
In a word, zzzzzzzzzzz...

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Nov 19, 10 10:55 PM
First of all, the graphics leave a LOT to be desired. You can tell that cut scene backgrounds were used (and re-used) with objects "photo-shopped" on top of the original image. So, the background is extremely fuzzy & ill-defined while the foreground or added objects are much more clear-edged. Every hidden object find scene is a "yard sale" or "junk pile" type scene. Some objects very fuzzy, dark, misnamed & extremely hard to find. Unlimited hints but timer recharges VERY slowly.

Some objects are not what you might think! For instance, when it says "spyglass", I think of the standard telescoping spyglass such as those used by sailors of yesteryear. Not so in this game! A "spyglass" is actually a magnifying glass. There are several of these misnomers that left me scratching my head in wonder. There really isn't much interaction going on. For the most part, other than moving from one scene to the next, each area has sparkling stars telling you where the hidden object scene is located.

As for the music, at first not so bad but after 10 or 20 minutes, I felt like I was in the middle of an orchestra pit while the musicians were warming up. I finally had to turn off the music; something I rarely do. As for those pesky bullets you're supposed to find? Well, I found them in the first scene, no problem. After that, I found bullets but couldn't click them or I couldn't find them at all.

There really weren't any scary surprises since every time a ghost was going to come wandering by, you shifted to a "cut scene" (black borders) so you immediately knew one of the ghosts was coming to visit. VERY annoying since it stopped the game for 15 seconds or so while the ghost slowly did his thing. Not at all like some of the games where you can be in a HOG daze & all of a sudden something pops out & scares the weebie-jeebies out of you!

All the sub-par graphics, music, & not-so-interesting story line aside, however, my biggest issue was all the click, click, clicking I had to do to get through the cut scenes. Way too much silly talking that really wasn't all that pertinent to the story nor was it all that interesting.

All in all, a very run-of-the-mill game that I would rate mediocre at best. 2 out of 5 stars. This felt like a tired old HOG that might have been out 3 or 4 years ago. Wait for the DD (daily deal) IMHO.

Happy gaming!

Edited on 11/20/2010 at 10:52:12 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 27, 10 11:08 AM
Bink_In_AK wrote:Based strictly on Reviews.

No buy. Straight HOG. Short.

Look again when it becomes the DD...

Not even on sale for $2.99...

Go to: