BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Tulula: Legend of a Volcano

[Post New]by BearKat on Nov 16, 10 1:53 PM
WOW! This game is like a sunshiny day after all the dark stuff (which I love also) that I have played lately. True there is a little more hand-holding than some might like, but personally I never minded hand-holding ! It is kind of like playing with your grand-children and remembering to be a kid again! I played for 37 minutes with no problems(technical) whatsoever! No lag with loading or anything like that. Relaxing, pleasant music and I found the graphics and characters delightful. I didn't want to stop but must eat before I fall out of my chair. This is a definite buy for me! I give it and a "Gorgeous" ! Thanks for the ray of sunshine! Happy gaming all!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 16, 10 2:25 PM
Won't buy (played the whole demo though) but a very cute game. Quite a sense of humour. "Un peu de douceur dans ce monde de brutes" !!!!!!!!!!! Very sweet.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Nov 16, 10 3:23 PM
List me among all those who think this is "different". Please don't give up on this game after 10 minutes or so. The more you play the more you'll like it. While it does seem more for youngsters, I as did many others enjoyed the relaxed freedom this game provides. While it does have an abundence of help/guidance I still had to frequently use the hint light but somehow really enjoyed my trial hour and will definitely buy. I don't know if this game is a RPS or RTG or just Hidden Object but it's easy enough to just play it and enjoy.

[Post New]by catehall on Nov 16, 10 3:49 PM
After so many dark mystery themed games, I liked the pleasant diversion of Tulala. Especially since I could play it with my 3 year old granddaughter! She likes placing pieces with their matching silhouettes. Games like this every once in awhile are welcome.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Nov 16, 10 3:56 PM
|
grabbinbugs wrote:This would be a delightful game for children. Beautiful graphics, pleasant music and looks like a halfway decent story. As an adult though, the game is just a bit too juvenile for me to continue past 10 mins of the demo.

Guess I'm a 70 year old crone "cos I loved this game. At my age I need all the help I can get!

arlemela
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Tulula: Legend of a Volcano

[Post New]by arlemela on Nov 16, 10 3:58 PM
bfgImbrium wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Tulula: Legend of a Volcano? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Nov 16, 10 4:22 PM
passing on this one.

Edited on 11/16/2010 at 4:24:10 PM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 16, 10 4:32 PM
might be fun for a 5 year old

Lavender101
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Lavender101 on Nov 16, 10 4:38 PM
I'm loving this one! It's light , fun , quirky , and I love the colorful artwork.This FROG/IHOG is so different. What a breath of fresh air. Off to buy!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 16, 10 5:07 PM
Cute game. Graphics are good. The shaman looks just a little bit "wonky". I gave it a fair chance (all of 5 mins before I started to nod off). Not my cup of tea, however it may be my cup of warm milk before bed time

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 16, 10 5:17 PM
Poutoule wrote:. "Un peu de douceur dans ce monde de brutes" !!!!!!!!!!! Very sweet.

Absolument

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 16, 10 5:58 PM
Tulula: Legend of a Volcano (FROG/Pop-up aka "Bubble")

Options include Sound, Music and "All Volume", plus a full-screen option and "Fewer dialogs".

The game starts out with humor, "Enter Your Glorious Name," and "My eyes are old and feeble, describe yourself," at which point you have one of four characters to choose from, two female, two male.

The game is rife with vivid colors - the brightest blues, pinks and oranges are prevalent anywhere you should look. Music is fine, nothing I had to turn off.

At first glance this is a game for children. Bright colors, simple tasks and a lot of feedback (trophies AND achievement flags) easily accounts for the perception. There is a lot of praise about how smart you are.

My first clue that all might not be as it seems when I saw the comment (paraphrasing), "That peacock hasn't eaten in ages! He looks like an unhappy supermodel!"

My second hint was that there was a (SKIPPABLE) tutorial for using the journal. It really does have more options in it than I've seen in a game previously, but it is easy enough to figure out. Tabs in the journal include Totem Stones (which are the point of the game), Tasks (though there is a visible task list, also), current location info, blueprints and dialogs (all conversations are noted).

Most of the gameplay is fragmented objects that you need to find... except that if you haven't interacted with the proper area first ("found" the pop-up bubble), you can't pick anything up. Somehow, with this game, that's alright. Most games it would frustrate me with, but the items are mostly well-camouflaged, and even if you see them, you may lose track of them again. Once you find an item you can use, you have to place it into the pop-up bubble by shape, rather like a little puzzle.

I came across one dream-like find-the-object-by-list HOG scene, and several doable mini-games (which are SKIPPABLE). HINTS are refillable.

Despite this being a "child's" game, I ended up playing the whole demo and was surprised when it ended. I do think this would be a good game to play with the kids, but also that it's something they couldn't do on their own (at least not the younger ones). The occasional snarky humor is nothing the kids would catch, and I saw nothing that I would deem offensive or suggestive.

Do give this game a chance and don't give up right away - it's worth waiting it out

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Nov 16, 10 6:00 PM
sinshack wrote:I understand what you mean, Goofyduck77. I think this is going to be one of those games that you either love or hate. For me, I think I will enojy playing a "light" game for a change.

I think it's charming - I can't resist a game that starts out "Enter your glorious name."

I have to agree - it is a "light" game but charming and a change. It is a buy for me.

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on Nov 16, 10 6:14 PM
DUMB, DUMBER, DUMBEST!! I LASTED TEN MINUTES WITH THE FREE TRIAL BEFORE I REALIZED THAT IT WAS A WASTE OF MY TIME.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Nov 16, 10 7:15 PM
I agree with the positive comments. This is a really cute game and not as easy as it first appears (at least not for me, I have had to use the hint button many times so far and went to the walkthrough a couple of times)--but it is fun, bright and colorful and very interesting. I love all the awards--so far I have not had to skip any mini-games and they are interesting and varied in themselves.
I like restoring the village and am looking forward to unlocking some of the buildings on higher levels.
Try the demo for yourself for at least 45 minutes or so, and you may find yourself sucked into the game also.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 16, 10 7:24 PM
This is such a delightful game! maybe the most fun I have has since "Treasures of Mystery island". The graphics are gorgeous! I have not yet finished the Demo but bought it after about 30 min. of play. i have had no problems.

The Hint system seems to work well. I have used two Hints ans did not have to wait. there may be a recharge delay but as I did not need the Hints in a row, I didn't notice how long the recharge takes.

The minis are fun and the gameplay is not difficult. It might take a couple min. to understand how things work for some people. There is a good Tutorial.

I was just delighted by the whole thing, the beauty, the humor, the puzzles. I look forward to continuing.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Nov 16, 10 8:05 PM
I don't get the appeal of this game from some the reviews. I found it boring and childish. After so many good IHOGs in the last few months, maybe I am expecting too much. I hope not. First of all ; games where you have to remember the sequence of symbols, colors, etc in order just irritate me. That was my first turn-off.
Then building the town? Find the circle and a hammer pounds and a bunch of wheat appears? I am sorry, but this game is a snooze for me. Sorry.

I have not used a credit yet this month. Hope some good IHOGs or RPGs turn up soon.

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Nov 16, 10 8:52 PM
I would have to agree about the colors and story, looks great for children. So this is a no buy for me, a bit too young for me.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Nov 16, 10 9:38 PM
I liked this game and the bright colors. We people who have to use glasses it did help. I read a lot of the comments and most of them where favorable. I know it was like the most of HOG but on the light side I enjoyed the different types of mini games. As the say goes " you can please all the people all the time but you can please some of people most of time.

It was great to have walkthrough in the forum since the one on the site didn't work. You need to have more of the walkthroughs for the other games.

I used a credit to get this game.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 16, 10 10:25 PM
I tried to like this one... the colors are amazing and the graphics are bright and fun... but the game just felt like work. Everytime you finish one thing (like one side of the gate) bam you have to do the other side. I guess I don't see the appeal of this sort of frog where you find bits of things over and over on the same screen. It's not fun, it's work. (This isn't even remotely like the kind of frog of Briar Rose... loved that frog.) I read the other reviews and gave it 45 minutes out of the trial before I couldn't take it anymore... I kept waiting for the fun to start and it never did.

I actually like the Simon game but I hated this one because you had to look at the side dream and then play it on the main circle... I much prefer watching them flash on the game board and then remember it.

And what's with the long load time between each screen?! The graphics weren't all THAT amazing to need such a long load time... I'm thinking maybe it was laziness on the part of the designers not to optimize the graphics for load time. It's annoying when they do that. I also wish they had narrated the story... just my preference but I much prefer that to having to read every little thing. I like reading, and I love good storylines, but at least break it up with some nice voice acting.

This is one I might be willing to pick up on a DD... maybe or maybe not... kind of depends what other games are in competition... if there's been a lot of good games then probably not, if it's a dry spell when it comes up on DD then maybe. But not a buy for me right now anyway. I think you really need to be a die hard frog fan to enjoy this one.

Go to: