jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fiction Fixers: The Curse of OZ

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 22, 10 9:08 AM
Hi all.

Pro's and cons with this game.

The cons first. It was rather on the short side and rather on the easy side, the latter may well have contributed to the former, IE, because it was simple I got through it quicker.

On the pro side, it is a lovely game, crisp graphics, easy flow, lovely characters. I loved it. It is a very welcome mellow game before the much anticipated MCF7 turns up.

Well worth the $6.99 + 17.5% UK VAT, but not worth the extra visually appealing 76 cents

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Nov 22, 10 9:39 AM
I played about half of the demo before I signed off. The graphics are beautiful, but the game itself is boring , and I find very few games boring. Slow and silly.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 22, 10 9:42 AM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:Well worth the $6.99 + 17.5% UK VAT, but not worth the extra visually appealing 76 cents

LOL Well said, Jojo.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Nov 22, 10 9:43 AM
amj0963 wrote:bump

bump? Would you be so kind as to explain what that means? I can't figure out, for the life of me, the opinion you're tryng to convey; thanks for your time.

MEnr56

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Nov 22, 10 9:52 AM
MEnr56 wrote:
amj0963 wrote:bump

bump? Would you be so kind as to explain what that means? I can't figure out, for the life of me, the opinion you're tryng to convey; thanks for your time.

MEnr56

Hi ME!

When people were bumping this thread it was over in the chit chat corner because this forum wasn't set up yet. When you bump a thread you are returning it to the top of the first page for others to see.

HTH (hope this helps)

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 22, 10 12:16 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:I'm a little late to the game - had a slight accident which rendered me sleepy with pain pills but all is okay now. I agree with several points that have been made. I did play it on easy mode, and found all three characters and almost to Oz. So I am sure it is short if I can get that far. Fiction Fixers: Alice in Wonderland was either harder or I'm getting better at these games because in Alice I only got through about 30 minutes of the demo when I got stuck and couldn't continue.

I thought the hint recharge was a little long, 1 1/2 minutes but the objects were easy to find because the graphics were clean and not fuzzy, although sometimes a little dark. There is a frog element to it to find certain inventory items and that's where you have to backtrack to previous locations and it actually tells which piece is in each location; otherwise, it is very linear which makes it easier, but maybe too easy. I wish had paid more attention to details . . .

The mini game with the cows was cute as were a few others and unique to the game. I wish they had done something with the voices. I don't know if I expected the exact same voices as the movie, but they could have at least tried something similar. Murder She Wrote did an excellent job "imitating" Angela Lansbury and I think this game could have done the same. I think it might have been more enjoyable if they had.

Overall, I liked it very much, but it is evidently very short from the previous comments, and I have a feeling I would fall into the 2 hour time frame which is too short for the price. Sorry I couldn't talk about more -- off to sleep some more!

Sorry about your troubles. I think you are right about the game time. I got through the first 3 chapters and the demo shut down it took me less than 30 minutes to get that far and I play fairly slow. I am saving my pennies for the next MCF game.

Charleen
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by Charleen on Nov 22, 10 12:34 PM
Loved loved loved this game....If you love the "Wizzard of Oz" you will love this game too. It is an added twist to the Movie and very well done....Big Fish Rocks out another one....

Coronanana
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Coronanana on Nov 22, 10 1:12 PM
Liked it and am buying. Guess I'm just a kid at heart

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 22, 10 1:44 PM
I loved this game, and really enjoyed playing the demo, but like others, I made it to Emerald City, when my demo ran out, so as much as I liked it, I know I would have buyers remorse if I purchased it.
I can't seem to find a middle ground, with Fiction Fixers, this one was to easy for me, and Alice was to hard and left me a bit frustrated, objects very hard to see in that one.
And even though Alice in Wonderland was harder, it was a much longer game, and not because it was more difficult, so I wish the developers would have put in as much effort, on the lenght of this one, because I liked it more than the first, and would have bought it, had it been as long as the first.
Wow, that was a mouth full...anyway, when and if, this game becomes a DD, I will be sure to get it, even though it was easy, I enjoyed the game play, graphics, the H0 scenes, and am a fan of, The Wizard of Oz, this and Charlotte the Pig, were fav's as a child.
Maybe the developers could find a middle ground, between to easy and to hard, keep the length, like in the first, and the rest is perfect, for me anyway.
It was beautiful to look at, and fun to play, besides those nit picks, I know the developers listened about the first one being to hard, and made this one easier, so I am hoping the next will be just right :-)

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Nov 22, 10 2:36 PM
I must agree with those who felt this game is not as good as the first Fiction Fixers game about Alice in Wonderland. This Oz game seemed much easier and not nearly as well thought out as the earlier offering. I got as far as the field of flowers that cause drowsiness when the demo time ran out... so, judging from other posts that addressed the issue of length, it sounds like this game would be quite short for me. I had no problem with the download or functioning of the game but I think I'll pass on it for the above reasons. If it comes out later as a DD, I MIGHT get it then... ? ?

Classicaljazz

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 22, 10 3:38 PM
I think its a very lovely and charming ihog. Graphic is pretty good, storyline interesting, gameplay very good. Overall a game I will definete buy later this month.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Nov 22, 10 6:53 PM
MarpleLover wrote:Pretty gungho gamers here. Have to stand out in the cold with no official forum. Well done.

Btw - saw some people complaining about the new Game Manager not working correctly with game downloads? Anyone experience any problems lately?

Download ok but the mouse has little control and the game keeps giving me triple screens that I have to wait for it to settle into a single to read what is said or figure anything out in the screen also the skip button lasted forever and the puzzle could not be solved with the screwy mouse pointer problem. Any one else have this problem? Were you brave enough to buy to see if paying for it solved this? I liked the game sort of, but if it does not repair I would not want to buy it. Really disappointing.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Nov 22, 10 6:55 PM
PLEASE tell me if you had a problem with triple screen and bought it and that cleared it up. Download ok but the mouse has little control and the game keeps giving me triple screens that I have to wait for it to settle into a single to read what is said or figure anything out in the screen also the skip button lasted forever and the puzzle could not be solved with the screwy mouse pointer problem. Any one else have this problem? Were you brave enough to buy to see if paying for it solved this? I liked the game sort of, but if it does not repair I would not want to buy it. Really disappointing.

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Nov 22, 10 8:44 PM
I found the game vey disappointing. I was looking forward o a fun Wizard of Oz as I love the movie but I didn't think the graphics were all that great--sort of cartoonish and the puzzles etc. were way too easy -- although I was playing on the easy mode. It got repetitious and boring by the end of the preview.

[Post New]by wolfmara on Nov 22, 10 9:59 PM
Well I really enjoyed the demo....buuuuttttt.....I rolled along and suddenly: I had completed it with 23 minutes to spare on my free look.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 22, 10 11:10 PM
I loved this game! In fact I loved it more than the first one, which I purchased, and I am not a fan of The Wizard of Oz. Some of the scenes are rather dark so it can be difficult to find all the objects in the hidden scenes, but for the most part they aren't difficult. Game play is pretty straight forward, too. I liked having to find pieces of objects and having to go back a little to complete a scene. I also like the fact that I am told when a scene is completed, but nothing resembling hand holding in this game. I also loved the fact that it was a nice game. One I can and did play with my daughter. No evil people lurking, murders, or vampires, etc.

My main problem, and why I hesitate greatly in purchasing it, is because even playing the more advanced mode, I still had a few minutes left on the demo and only two scenes left in the game. Since I completed the majority of it already, it doesn't make sense to pay $6.99 or use a credit to finish. I really, really wish the game was longer. As it is, I think I will wait until it becomes a daily double.

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

[Post New]by Cherubabies on Nov 22, 10 11:11 PM
I like this Game very much! Beautiful Graphics and interesting Story line ...

A buy for me!

Thanks

Edited on 11/22/2010 at 11:13:15 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 22, 10 11:14 PM
Pepper010 wrote:Question: who's playing the "casual" version vs. the "challenge" version?

I, too, am finding it easier than Alice/FF, but then again, I chose "casual" setting. I'm having fun so don't want to change it right now.

But I'm wondering if the game is longer--because harder--if playing on the advanced level.

Pepper, I played the challege version and I don't think it is any more difficult or longer than the casual version. I was just getting ready to enter Emerald City (with 10 minutes left on my hour) when the demo ended. So, I basically only have two more sections to finish. Since it took me about an hour to complete the game up to that point, I am thinking there is only about 30-45 more minutes left to play.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 23, 10 12:34 AM
FOUL!!! Naughty naughty devs!!! I was enjoying the demo and planned to buy until BAM just 35 minutes in I get a message "Thanks for trying the demo! Buy the full version to save Dorothy!" or some such nonesense. WHAT?! Did you read the "too short" comments in the forums and change it??? How did some manage to finish the game in the demo if not???

Guess what? NO BUY!!!! That just smacks of a trick and I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!

I've demo'd other games that do similar and I don't mind but when it's an obvious ploy to disguise a short game? NOPE! Not gonna happen. And I'm one who would MUCH prefer a quality game over a long game... but if you cop out and try a trick like this it just bothers me no end. It's not like we can't check out reviews and the walkthru to see the length anyway for goodness sake!!!

I really wanted to support the series... it's unique and I love the creativity... but not when I feel like I'm being conned into something. There's too many other demands for my time and money to be willing to support that. We need a wagging finger icon... feels like they need the teacher to wag a finger at them and remind them to play fair with the fishies... it's gamers like us who pay your salary or give you profits... never forget that. Treat us fairly and we are loyal as can be... play games with us and we just get mad. Well this fishie is saying it with $$... as in you aren't getting mine.

akferret
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by akferret on Nov 23, 10 2:08 AM
I've played both Fiction Fixers games, and I hope they make more. This game had no trouble playing, unlike most games the require a reboot to play, it worked every time, and the story is great, just loved it, I wish it had been longer.

Go to: