luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by luvtoread on Nov 24, 10 5:49 AM
I myself am enjoying the game:

Couple of things I'm not too happy with: in most games, when you need to
find an object and are not sure what exactly that object is, you can put your
cursor on object that's on bottom of screen and it will name it. This game
doesn't, the objective pops up. I truly did not know that was a vacuum
cleaner-just clicked on v c cause it was a cleaning supply.

Strategy guide (?is it even called that?) is redundant. Tells you what you
already know what you have to do. No help with puzzles (which so far are
not hard, but I've got to jewelry box one and I am a bit stuck)

Other than that, I am enjoying the people and the looking around and
OH!! Who came up with that GROSS refrigerator

I bought it, no regrets, but must admit DG so far is my favorite.

Ok, thanks to other fishies here I learned to click onto the pics in the
strategy guide to get more help. But still, your already told what to
do as you go along. Other strategy guides (ex herlock Holmes and
Hound of Baskervilles) are alot more helpful. I am really stuck on Jewlery
puzzle and may have to skip-which I don"t want to.
I still am not sorry I bought it

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 11:04:05 AM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 24, 10 5:50 AM
Coronagold wrote:I posted several weeks ago the game was a throwback to the 1990s live-action adventure game style. But your hype just kept rolling over reality like a river.

I pretty much played all the 1990s live-action adventure-game style games and have fond memories of them, so in this case this might not necessarily be a negative for me. Downloading the game now.

sokjeff
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by sokjeff on Nov 24, 10 5:52 AM
Wow, I am so excited.I have downloaded and begun to play. I really want to savor every minute. I plan to write a review at a later time but I wanted to tell you that this game Rocks! I just hope my wife does not jump on before I finish. She took over Dire Grove last time and I sat patiently waiting. It is great early on! Way to go Big Fish! It is my birthday tomorrow. What a great gift!

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 5:53:33 AM PST

RNJD4949
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by RNJD4949 on Nov 24, 10 5:58 AM
There has been many a game I did not buy because of all the dialog. This game you can't avoid the dialog. It just keeps going, and going, and going. No wonder this game is going to take 8 hours or more to play. You can't get away from the dialog. The "smart" guide is not a strategy guide and very little help. I should have played the demo before buying. Live and learn. Return to Ravenhearst is still the best.

[Post New]by Bluekaminari on Nov 24, 10 6:02 AM
I agree with doctorgood: it's like when you get a nice present for christmas, but definitely not the one you dreamed about...
The game is good, but not wonderful. I already felt it when I finished the trial version, because I didn't feel so crazy about buying the CE...
The real characters are not needed, really... It was a big revolution in computer games about 15 years ago, so it just made me think about old stuff I played when I was in junior highschool... This doesn't add anything to the atmosphere...
I was annoyed to be told what to do even if I chose the "no hint" option at the beginning... And not being able to go to some places because some characters asked us to do so and so before was really irritating. I'd rather have more freedom in games, especially as a detective...
I can't deny the graphics are beautiful, etc... But I am not as enthusiast as when I played Madame Fate or Return to Ravenhearst for the first time...

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 24, 10 6:03 AM
angelfishp wrote:I love MCF games and this one did not disappoint. I love the live actors, it is no different than the other games that use high tech graphics that walk and talk. As an older person with a short memory, I appreciate having the objectives written on the bottom of the screen, although, I admit, the banner could have been a little smaller. It is a buy for me, and I can't wait for the guys in the house to go golfing so I can play the game in peace!

If the guys are playing golf and you are playing the game, who is baking the Thanksgiving pies?

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 24, 10 6:03 AM
sartasia wrote: Happy Birthday GameGal

Dling now. I'm a little worried about the comments concerning the handholding but intrigued By Cherbtoo mentioning the morphing objects.
On the whole, considering the game length and unless this is really boring, it will be a buy for me.
Back later with a review.

A housefull of people tomorrow and I'll just want to sneak away to play....sigh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Correction I didn't say that there were morphing objects I said that I liked looking for hidden things that were not on any lists, such as morpphing objects, but that in this game you had to find 20 Crown Insignias.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Nov 24, 10 6:05 AM
I didn't get caught up in all the hype, didn't even read the speculation threads, so my disappointment isn't quite so bad.

Something just fails to enthrall me. I don't like the mixing of real people. The HOG scenes are extreme junk piles; I found myself moving the laptop closer to me just to determine what an item was.

Are there morphing items or not? I didn't see any in my demo time. Never mind, someone answered this same time I posted.

I'll probably wait for the SE as so far I see little to warrant the cost of the CE.

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 6:07:26 AM PST

Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Nov 24, 10 6:05 AM
Huh? I guess the (Removed by moderator) was right about this game. Go figure.

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 7:16:04 AM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 24, 10 6:06 AM
I have played for about an hour, and I'm tellin' ya - I love it! I think the integration with live actors (I have only encountered 2 people so far) is great. It's new to me to be able to take something from the actor's hand and it goes into inventory. Nice new twist.

I love the bluesy music and I don't mind the actor's voices at all. Hey, I'm from the south - Louisiana is only a six hour drive from where I live. So those who didn't like the southern people and music probably would laugh at the way I talk. There has not been so much dialogue that it has been distracting to me. I like that important clues are given by the actors. I'm left with more than plenty of time to explore on my own, so that has been just to my liking.

I've only done a couple of puzzles, stopped at the puzzle on the piano - I can see is going to take some time for me to figure out. The strategy guide and integrated walkthrough only gives hints, though, rather than explaining just how to complete a puzzle, so far. If they get much harder as the game goes along, I'll be days on this game! The hidden objects scenes, so far, have been fun, and I have enjoyed them.

I'm dismayed that several are unimpressed, because I'm definitely impressed! Thanks, BFG - for me this is a winner!

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Nov 24, 10 6:07 AM
I respect Big Fish's need to protect their products from piracy... However, I for one would appreciate knowing ahead of time if I will have to download the product directly from my account. I purchased the game, could not download it, downloaded it from the site page, indicated that I already purchased the game and it is now downloading again. A similar situation happened with Drawn II.

It is not a huge complaint-- it is one of those "It would be nice ifs...." It is a bit frustrating to re-download things. Also, I can't wait to play--- I am home with the flu and so it is good timing to have the game today!!

(I guess this means I am in no rush)

-Kala

fishdawn
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by fishdawn on Nov 24, 10 6:30 AM
Just finished the demo. Wasn't real impressed. Will wait for the Standard Edition and then maybe use a credit on it.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 24, 10 6:35 AM
I'm rather enjoying this one. I like how each game in the series has been in a different style. The actors all seem to be enjoying how silly the plot and script is, although I can see how some players might find this trip into the 'uncanny valley' a bit offputting.

Some of the complaints here seem a bit unfair, though. Yes, there is hand holding and the initial puzzle with the map is uninteractive, but this was beginning to ease off towards the end of the demo. This just seems like a perfectly reasonable difficulty curve to accommodate potentially new players. Also, I found and completed two (and there may well have been more) puzzles during the demo which weren't indicated by the objectives banner so there seems to be plenty of scope for ignoring the help and exploring on your own. I would certainly recommend that players try the demo to completion before dismissing it as too easy.

[Post New]by Kitty_at_large on Nov 24, 10 6:40 AM
Downloaded fine. Could not start it via game manager had to go into the program files and use the exc button to play. Graphics are good, sound is fine.

This game is a no buy for me. I feel disembodied talking to a television screen (live acting) It's like I'm not in this game at all. I also detest all of the prompts. When I first read the premise of this game I had an uneasy feeling. The story is unbelievable and contrived. I could not get into it at all. I was all set to purchase a CE. I wanted this to be a great game but alas I doubt if I'll even purchase the se version. Very disappointing

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 24, 10 6:40 AM
SoManyCrimes wrote:Also, I found and completed two (and there may well have been more) puzzles during the demo which weren't indicated by the objectives banner so there seems to be plenty of scope for ignoring the help and exploring on your own. I would certainly recommend that players try the demo to completion before dismissing it as too easy.

Very helpful information!

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Nov 24, 10 6:46 AM
I did find one thing that I need to complain about. No strategy guide. I'm completely stuck. The "smart guide" and the hint button only tell me what I already do know.
The strategy guide needs to be brought back.

sandybottom
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by sandybottom on Nov 24, 10 6:49 AM
Gulp.... I bought game today because it's a MCF, but reading the forum before playing is causing me concern. I expected huge, overwhelming applause, kudos to BFG. On the other hand, I'm intrigued that live actors give clues, that hidden object scenes are stockpiled (challenging) and a banner across the bottom assists with gameplay. I so want my DH to experience a game with me and this sounds like it could be just the game for his introduction. I'm sure the actors vs the characters will appeal to his interest. BFG may have opened a door to a new wave of gamers !!

Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Nov 24, 10 6:57 AM
sandybottom wrote:BFG may have opened a door to a new wave of gamers !!

And turned away alot of the old ones. Kudos to them.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 24, 10 7:00 AM
Brilliant.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Nov 24, 10 7:03 AM
mhatfie wrote:
angelfishp wrote:I love MCF games and this one did not disappoint. I love the live actors, it is no different than the other games that use high tech graphics that walk and talk. As an older person with a short memory, I appreciate having the objectives written on the bottom of the screen, although, I admit, the banner could have been a little smaller. It is a buy for me, and I can't wait for the guys in the house to go golfing so I can play the game in peace!

If the guys are playing golf and you are playing the game, who is baking the Thanksgiving pies?

We do it the easy way...we buy them!!!

Go to: