Snookie1100
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Re:Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by Snookie1100 on Nov 26, 10 12:50 PM
Just finished the demo............LOVE IT. Even though the map aspect is great, found myself wandering around quite a bit......not a bad thing, taking in the scenery..........lol. But I will admit I didn't get much accomplished in the hour except for the scarecrow. Now to figure out where to use him! Am off to buy as I have so many things on my task page and haven't even found 1 girl yet, let alone 4. Looks as though this will be a pretty lenghty game (at least for me) If I had any complaints about this.......it would be that on the task page, I would prefer when I complete a task, to have a check mark by it, or crossed out......here it just comes off the list never to be seen again. I just like to have it there to sort of double check what I've done.......but hey, that's just my preference........not a big deal at all. Well fishies, off to pay the almighty BF for this game and get back to playing!!

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

dfringer
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

[Post New]by dfringer on Nov 26, 10 1:04 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:
And just an aside: I feel really bad for BFG for all the time, effort, and dedication they had to have put into MCF7 and it missed the mark for so many people, especially after all the excitement and anticipation. I am sure it was very disheartening to them, but that's not to say they know now what did and didn't work and next time will give us something that everybody will go crazy about, just like they did with RTR and DG.

goofyduck don't feel too bad I've seen many positive reviews of MCF7, plus with this game and the MCFs franchise BFC is raking in the $$.
Many people seemed to be complaining that MCF7 had too much handholding. People need to realize that if the developers had included the ability to explore the environment on top of the live acting, and many extras the file size would have been prohibitive. I for one got totally lost and confused during RTR and found the constant reliance on the SG tedious. I am enjoying the 13th Skull more than RTR.
BFG will never please everyone, but i think most of us would agree that they are still the best game site in many ways.
re the new hidden Mysteries game can't wait to play it! won't DL it just yet as I have too much paper work. DF

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Nov 26, 10 2:28 PM
After 35 min. .........no grandpa that needs saved!!!

And on this piece of information alone, doctorgood, I shall try it. LOL

Thanks for all the great reviews!!

P.S. I'm finally a seahorse!

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Nov 26, 10 3:53 PM
I bought this game. It has atmosphere, a desolate feeling. The graphics are beautifully rendered and the muic is fitting the mood. The hidden object scenes are great. The scene with the wagon by the stone wall is esp. well done and challenging. The interactive aspect is challenging and the game is basically nonlinear.

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Nov 26, 10 4:12 PM
I only played for about 15 min. I was just bored. Walking around town with no one to talk to just kind of killed it for me. I might give it more attention if it every becomes a 2.99 game.
I thought I might like it because I played the Vampire one and I really liked it.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Nov 26, 10 4:38 PM
I have been waiting for this one for awhile now and soo happy its finally here. A good IHOG, not a CE, but easily just as good of quality as the CEs are.. no timer, dark, creapyish.. marks the end I hope of the IHOG dry spell. I'm not giving a review, just a comment. This is a buy for my without even demoing. Finally a game I can use my game credit I won! Keep more games like this coming!!

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Nov 26, 10 8:38 PM

I hope I'm not raining on the parade here but I was bored to death of this game.

The graphics/scenes were beautiful but what I played in the demo too simplistic. The HOG objects were utterly lined up right in front and literally in one scene they were all lined up on shelves, as clear as can be. There didn't seem to be one clever 'hiding' or a thing, ever.

It was also kind of a gyp to me to have severeal things needed to assemble something and be told flat out that's what you were going to do with it in the Inventory....i.e. if you picked up some hay, then looked in your Inventory, you were shown a "fan" of the 4 things you were going to need to make a scarecrow, the hay being one of them. I thought it would have been more funner (yes, that's a word...) to have to figure out how to combine things you had collected and then what you had to do with them. (not sure if this was just a feature in the "easier" option I played...if so, ignore me.) Things like having a knife but seeing you needed a carved pumpkin...then duh, that's what I knew the knife was for. So, I just felt led through the whole thing. It just seemed so stark and sparse (and sure it's great atmosphere) but overly so so that anything you needed or ought to look at or do stuck out like a sore thumb.

Like I said, I only played the demo so see for yourself. I've been known to be jaded before

Happy weekend!

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Nov 26, 10 11:43 PM
I tried it but I do not like it, graphics are not great, nothing to challenge one; and hidden objects games everywhere but no puzzles, I found myself just wandering around. Definitely not my cup of tea. Well I shall not fill my punch card this month because I shall nor waste my money on poor games just to fill it

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Nov 27, 10 3:03 AM
Having finished the game, and without using a walkthrough I have to say it was one of the very few games that I was sad when it finished! Preferred it to 13th Skull actually. Once over the initial batch of HOG scenes to acquire necessary items, it was brilliant. The graphics were AMAZING, apart from the horses that looked like a Madame Tussaud waxwork!
Could have played this game forever. Didn't mind the music, and the task list was helpful if totally stuck. Map too highlighting HOG scenes.
All in all a fab game....and I so hope a sequel is in the pipeline!
Belamba

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 27, 10 5:55 AM
I just played about 15 minutes of the demo and can't decide. I stopped in order to read some of the reviews. While it is dark, I find the hidden objects pretty easy to find. I like the story and the graphics. Guess I'll play a little more before I decide. After the disappointment of MCF, I need something to lift my spirits. Anyone know the length?

Thanks!

[Post New]by chensley2008 on Nov 27, 10 6:45 AM
It might be a good game if I could finish the horse carriage scene!!!!!!!!! It will not let me get the corn or the bell at the top of carriage!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried changing the cursor size, delete and re downloaded game!!!!!!!!!!!!!Not for me if I can't finish the first task!!!!!!!!!!!

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 27, 10 8:02 AM
Well, just finished the demo, and of course I have to buy since I just got the ball of yarn, have to get the other item and have to figure out what to do with the scarecrow! I'm glad there's a walkthrough, but hopefully I can get through much of the game without resorting to it because I love a challenge.

BTW, someone mentioned Madame Fate in the reviews of the new MCF so started replaying. Great game!

Thanks!
Gail

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 27, 10 8:05 AM
maggieannie43 wrote:I tried it but I do not like it, graphics are not great, nothing to challenge one; and hidden objects games everywhere but no puzzles, I found myself just wandering around.

There are about 10 puzzles in the game, but they occur at major plot points, so it can take awhile to find them.

You might take a look at the forum topic on how the HINT system works in this game. It can really cut short the wandering around, and it's one of the few I've seen recently that truly does give hints, not just answers. It can give you just enough information to get you moving forward again.

Robin

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 27, 10 8:42 AM
I have played the trial for 30 min and still don't know what I am doing. I can't find any of the inventory items. I just go from screen to screen. It's getting frustrating and the walk through didn't help me. Maybe I have a thick head or something. Don't have problems with any of the other HOG's I play. Oh well..just venting.. Will go back to playing MCF that I downloaded.

Brennagrl
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Brennagrl on Nov 27, 10 9:51 AM
I liked the game.....it was a bit of a challenge, but I like that........I thought the graphics were pretty good.......sometimes the objects were a bit difficult to see......this game as not as good as the 13th Skull or Dire Grove but those were collector's editions so it should not be compared. As for the people who keep asking "how long is this game?", that is not an easy answer.........let's see, if you go eat or stop after playing an hour and do not go back for 3 hours.......you get the point, each person will have their own pace.....Overall I give it a thumbs up....later

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 27, 10 12:46 PM
Used a lot of sneakers playing this game, trotting up and down, sometimes getting lost, but enjoying myself the whole time. Graphics are really good, kind of "brownish", but it's like reading an old book. Mini games weren't too easy (at least for me) and I did have a look at the walkthrough as I got really stuck. A really good game, and at a decent price too, hours of fun !

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Nov 27, 10 2:55 PM
Just played about 10 mins of the demo and came to read reviews. The hidden object scenes remind me a lot of the Mystery P.I. games. The sort of muted color pallett and objects of various (not always true to scale) sizes sort of just thrown around the scene. I have a like a few of the Mystery PI games but I'm not looking for that in my adventure-Hidden object hybrid games.

I'll play more of the demo another time before I decide, but on first play, this one didn't grab me.

By the way I don't mind the brownish muted colors at all.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Nov 27, 10 5:04 PM
Absolutely loved the game. I really enjoy linear games. There was not too much hand holding other than the sparkles on the map to direct you to the HOGs. I liked this very much. If I got puzzled over what to do next, I went to a HOG until my head cleared. It seemed that a break from wandering around helped get the logic part of my brain working again.. The map worked great. Not too many puzzles which I liked a lot. I don't mind some but, when there is a puzzle to solve every time you turn around, It takes my mind off the purpose of game and I do not like it. The chart of tasks to complete tasks was great also, There is a lot to do in this game, yea and it was very helpful to be able to look up what need to be accomplished.
I could say more but since I am the end of the discussions again, I do not to be redundant. I liked the atmosphere also. Bought it. and am glad that I did

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Nov 27, 10 6:55 PM
Hi fishies.this game is lifeless.There is no contact with other people.No voices, could have at least spoke to his self.This game is definitly dead in the water in my opinion.

Happy gaming to thosewho like these type of games.

Edited on 11/27/2010 at 6:56:04 PM PST

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 27, 10 7:08 PM
gks1951 wrote:Hi fishies.this game is lifeless.There is no contact with other people.No voices, could have at least spoke to his self.This game is definitly dead in the water in my opinion.

Happy gaming to thosewho like these type of games.

You will have contact with other people, but you have to find them first. You'll have at least two conversations with most of them.

Also, every time your journal (in the lower left) blinks, read it. Those are the notes that your character is making for himself. They tell a lot of the story.

Robin

Go to: