puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear For Sale: Mystery of McInroy Manor

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 17, 11 1:16 AM
I've shopped games for hours yesterday and today for some SEs during the SpringFever sale. Most my genre I either have or rejected. I guess I had demoed this as a CE back in Nov on my widescreen laptop because tonight I ran the demo on my pc with XP, plain ole reg shaped 15" flat panel monitor and WOW how did I pass on this before?

Usually once the SE comes out the new forum is scant of poster reviews so I went to the CE forum to grasp what the game was about. Geeeeeezzz are we playing the same game? Neg reviews (comments) over there went on for about 8 pages so I came here and there's been enough time for players to have played or finished it. NONE of the complaints on the CE forum had anything to do with the demo I just played. Maybe without all the frills, extras, achievements whatever you don't get the long load times between scenes, shorter file? I had black screen a few MOMENTS before next scene. Maybe a faster pc? 4 years older than my new W7 lappy? Runs great. And, didn't find teeny tiny objects to be a neg which is usually why I pass. First HOG scene timed demo yes, maybe 4 hints, but takes a few scenes for the eye to get in sync with the artist's style. Some cleverly placed, a few tiny, but color was good. My monitor is on 100% bright anyway and I adjust for fuller color and contrast. No problem seeing, no dark scenes, maybe a better graphics card on the HP Pavillion. Who knows.

I didn't have a walkthrough back then but now that I scroll through it is the ratio of HOGS to puzzles that won me over. Maybe more ihog players here than hard core adventurers who always neg a game with any help, hand holding, sparkles. I played with tutorial and I hardly saw any sparkles, maybe a single spark out of the corner of the eye that disappeared. I mean, I was wishing for fireworks like 4th July to show where HOGs were, but they appear when you happen to click on something seemingly minor as I could tell. I thought the artwork was very professional, the HOG closeup scenes reminded me of Vogat HOGs I love. Not the ordinary items or slap on clip art. The kind you have to take your leisure time and eyeball all over, once I find something others just jump out at me.

I swore no more dark/eerie games for awhile, plenty of those I don't feel like finishing, but this isn't (so far). I don't consider ghosts scary. OK one more haunted house but it feels "lite haunted", not as light as Mishap Accidental but hey, that's a comedy. SOLD.

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Apr 17, 11 3:17 PM
Was really looking forward to this game, but was disappointed. Rather ****-hum story, some of the HOG scenes were FAR too dark....several times I couldn't find the object, and couldn't even see it when the hint button pointed it out. Games were a bit on the easy side, but that's generally OK with me. However, too much help with the sparkles...I like to have some mystery with my mysteries. And I hate how in some games there's a red "x" when you are playing the HOG scenes, but that's a minor quibble. It wasn't a BAD game, just nothing special, and I would have been totally disappointed had I purchased the CE. One bright spot, nice job with the water and weather.

Two of five stars.

Edited on 04/17/2011 at 3:19:46 PM PST

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Apr 26, 11 11:48 AM
Great graphics, puzzles and hidden object pages!

aperry423
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by aperry423 on Apr 27, 11 8:28 PM
I liked this game. It reminded me of a cross between Return to Ravenhearst and The Stroke of Midnight. I was a bit annoyed when my inventory disappeared, and left me with no way to regain the items in the middle of the game, though. grrrr!
Windows 7 seems to have a lot of issues like that with games.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on May 12, 11 7:24 AM
About halfway through and it would be a good game only if there is an option to hide the darn sparkles. They are everywhere and very annoying!!!

d0080b
Stingray
Stingray
5,334 Posts

[Post New]by d0080b on May 15, 11 12:38 PM
An OK game to play while waiting for another DIRE GROVE to be released. It was quite simple and predictable. Some of the H0s were too small.

technocratee
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by technocratee on May 19, 11 5:16 AM
I liked this game, worth the money. Long, full of puzzles, just enough **** scenes, findable objects (I've seen games a lot worse), decent hints. Didn't have to consult the walkthrough, that's a plus for me, I dislike games where at every puzzle solved you're stuck.

aperry423
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by aperry423 on May 25, 11 8:47 AM
grandmagamer49 wrote:There is something very familiar with this game. Could not find in my list of games that I have bought. Anyone else have that de ja vu?

I liked it. I thought it had a touch of "Ravenhearst," as well as, "The Stroke of Midnight." I guess it hard to be original with these kind of games. They are my favorite kind.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 12, 11 10:08 AM
Game Ratings:

Graphics – 2.5 stars
Story – 3 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 2.5 stars
Overall – 2.75 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Aug 18, 11 7:34 AM
I just finished playing this game & really enjoyed it. I noted some of the negative comments here, but after trying the demo I thought I would give the game a try, & I am glad I did. I hardly noticed the sparkles, & to a newbie like me they are helpful anyway. I was playing on a laptop & didn't find the graphics to dark or small at all, very crystal clear for me. I liked the combination of puzzles & **** scenes, I find too many **** scenes a little boring.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Sep 21, 11 7:31 PM
Just finished playing the full game and I am so glad I bought this! I like dark games and I didn't find the HOS's too difficult. I usually wound up using one hint, occasionally two. The puzzles weren't hard, but I like the break from having brain breaking puzzles.

Some have compared the plot to RTR, but I never thought of that while I was playing the game. And the villain wasn't the same.

All-in-all, I think this is a great HOG!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 15, 11 10:35 AM
I don't understand why so many negative reviews for the CE version, either. This is my kind of game. The HOS are challenging but not too much so, and the hint button recharges quickly enough. I also like that there are hints as to where to go next if you need one, instead of only having hints in the HOS. I'd give the graphics a B- grade... okay, but compared to some of the games with the beautiful, clear, hand-drawn scenes, these are just mediocre. BTW, I'm sorry for all you folks who complain that the screen is too small... I play on a laptop with about 1-1/2" black band on each side of "wide" screen, so kwitcherbitchin! LOL!

beryltheperil
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by beryltheperil on Nov 27, 11 11:31 AM
oh dear, I downloaded it for something to play during loads of travelling...hope it's ok but for £2.30 it's less than a cup of coffee..so .....

[Post New]by minxshana on Dec 4, 11 3:33 PM
the game is great but I am stuck on trying to get the wheel on the car. I have gotten it inflated and it is in my inventory but when I click on the car the hog comes us that I have done before and none of the objects can be clicked on because they were found the first time I saw the car. The same thing is happening in the entrace to the house and I can enter but I cannot clear the hidden objects that I played before. The game seems to stuck. Appreciate any help.
minxshana

xmaseve24
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by xmaseve24 on Jan 1, 12 7:54 PM
I bought this as a Daily Deal...definitely worth it. I'm quite sure serious game players will find that it's too easy,and I agree, it is on the easy side. But I found it just challenging enough without being frustrating.

I enjoyed the story line although I must admit that's not high priority for me. I might have liked a few less HOG'S and a few more puzzles, but that's just a comment, not a complaint.

I liked this game!

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 5, 12 7:35 AM
For a SE is worth the money but I would have been disappointed if I bough the CE, is a nice game to play, too dark at times but that is what add to the mystery of the story.

doziedoats
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by doziedoats on Jan 5, 12 12:56 PM
I loved it!! I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was my favorite, but it came close. It was easy to manage and had a great story line. In fact the story line was definitely the best since I first became involved with BF . I think that was probably the reason I liked it so much. It didn't leave you hanging.

[Post New]by philadel on Jan 23, 12 7:22 AM
mammadenny wrote:I I really enjoyed the game with 2 exceptions, one is the hidden objects were very hard to find and the other is it really needed a map to go from one place to another.
Otherwise, it was definetely worth the money.
Denise
I was pleased to read someone else who picked up on 2 of the lesser appealing aspects of this game, and in alot of others too. firstly, i find alot of hidden object scenes in most of the "better" games tend to be very crammed together, dark, or too small to tell what they are. esp if the scenes are like painted portraits.makes finding things too hard sometimes. Secondly, iv found games that have you walking from one place to another,many times, are ok if you have a map and can click to your next location instantly. theres nothing more frustrating than finding a puzzle piece, but having to trail back 300 scenes to the room or scene you need. it makes me dizzy with the clicking and the 2 seconds of a room before cicking back again an again an again etc. I generally find the games coming out this last year to be of an excellent quality. I just wish that they would consider when making all these places to visit, that if we have to trail backwards an forwards all the time to complete puzzles, it can become boring even if the affects and gameplay are 100% astounding. Hope thats what you meant too.

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 7:25:17 AM PST

Wayner33
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Wayner33 on Jan 24, 12 4:03 PM

Well, this wasn't the best game I ever played, but it wasn't the worst either. I found it impossible the get through the game without hints & using the walk through at times.
Many of the HOG scenes were too dark to find the objects without using hints.
I found the hints to tell you where to go next was helpful. It saved some wandering around.

I guess it is OK if you buy it at a special price(Monday special). I wouldn't want to pay full price for it.

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on Jan 27, 12 2:54 PM
wonderful game graphics,lots to do and hint recharge fast. well done big fish xo

Go to: