Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Once Upon a Farm

[Post New]by Mephibosheth on Jan 2, 11 2:01 PM
I absolutely have to comment on this horrific game. It's not the game play, which is mediocre or the junkpile HOG scenes, which are painful, nor the ridiculous clues (pipe = tube; sheet = leaf?), but the hideous racial overtones.

If the "dirty Mexican" and stupid costumes aren't enough, then you have the main character threatening a black man for having pictures of the farmer's white daughter by pulling his FBI badge on the poor man?

Oh! Then there's the Texas "cowboy" disguise which gets him into the good graces of that racist farmer, and to prove that he's a real Texan, has to drink and shoot empty glasses inside of a bar!

The game was not fun, it was shockingly disappointing. Doesn't anyone screen these things? Games are supposed to be fun. Overt bigotry is not fun.

What's next, a Chinese laundry? Jewish lawyers? Irish policemen and Italian mafia? The game's a joke, and not a remotely funny one. On a scale of 1 to 10, this game is a negative 20.

SirMitch
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by SirMitch on Jan 2, 11 2:09 PM
I agree with all of others who have commented on this game. While I had no difiiculty with the actual operation of the download or gameplay, the premise is feeble and downright laughable; the items are grossly misnamed; the racial and racist stereotyping is deplorable. This entire game is not up to the usual standards one expects from this site.

ojennifer
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by ojennifer on Jan 2, 11 2:33 PM
This is an HOG. It is not a MCF HOG, therefore it will not be dowloaded or tried.

I HATE HOG's.

But I do like everyone's comments.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jan 2, 11 3:08 PM
I kind of enjoyed the game play and I actually liked the music much more than normal. However the story line is rather silly and terminology is bizarre. Also a couple of the mini games had glitches in them, the one being near the end of the demo time 56 minuteswhich means I quit at that time. Anyway, I think I'll leave this one on the shelf

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jan 2, 11 3:21 PM
Cherbtoo, I just had to tell you that I read your review,( I tried using the quote feature, but the message kept jumping around) and by the time I was finished it I was laughing so hard,Not such a great game but the laugh I got from your review was worth a lot.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 2, 11 3:51 PM
Dialogue wrote: I read a lot of complaints about this game. People complained for many reasons. The most recurring complaint I read about is the racism. I think you people may have missed the point of the story. Being black and having put up with real racism for over 50 years I hope that whoever wrote the story meant this to be a parody about racism in the southwest. The FBI agent is so out of touch with reality that his superior is afraid to send him on any real assignment so he sent him on a case that would not bring any more shame to the FBI. How the idiot got his job I'll never know. I think somebody owed somebody a huge favor. If you read the messages in the log book you will understand what is going on.

As for the farmer I've run into people like him recently in the so called "liberal great northeast". Sometimes they are well intentioned but they are insulting without really knowing that they are being insulting. They are clueless and think the stereotypes are true.

I think the story is okay as a parody. Parodies tend to insult a lot of people. Some people just have to take it for what it is and realize that there is usually a basis in fact in parodies. In this case the fact is that bigots, naifs and clueless people still exist in the USA.

Now for the gameplay itself. The graphics are clear and beautiful and the game is fairly easy. ...........

I agree that it is a parody and not intended to be realistic, but funny -- humorous. It did remind me of a Clint Eastwood movie as someone said earlier. And the bumbling FBI agent of the J. Edgar Hoover days as Dr.Good so noted. Some people just take things too seriously and here where we are supposed to be having fun!

Some puzzles were unique - the lawnmower. After I skipped that because it was taking so long for me to figure it out, my screen was a little dark for awhile, but it came back after clicking on the telescope. This is a different type of IHOG because you aren't given a lot of clues about where to go and what to do. I liked it after I got used to the style. But the interactive items within the HOG scenes were a little mysterious and hard to find.

Two items were annoying to me about the game:
1) When I get an inventory item after a HOG scene, I expect it to be something I found in the scene. Please include the inventory item in the search list always!
2) No dizzy cursor -- why have it in the game? If I want to just clicky, clicky, clicky -- let me!!

lennycarl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by lennycarl on Jan 2, 11 3:52 PM
Apparently, English is not the game developer's first language. I ignored the horrendous Mexican stereotype but when a "tube" ended up being a smoking pipe and a flip-flop called a "slipper" that did me in. I was getting too frustrated trying to figure out what in the heck they were talking about to enjoy the game. Sorry, but this game is a big FAIL BFG. Better luck next time.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 2, 11 4:04 PM
I think I would suggest that BFG change this from being tomorrow's game and replace it with something else.

The quality of the game is more like a daily deal, and the various racial complaints added to that - I think it warrants a change, if only to "soft release".

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jan 2, 11 5:09 PM
After reading all the reviews and seeing how many people are upset by the seeming stereotypes and racial overtones, I am curious about something. Does anyone know if Bigfish has ever pulled a game off it's gamesight because of this kind of negative feedback?

GoddessOdd
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Racist game by non-English speakers

[Post New]by GoddessOdd on Jan 2, 11 5:17 PM
Definitely NO BUY! Idiotic enough without the blatant racism, but calling a trophy a bowl, a brush a comb made it even stupider, which hardly seemed possible. Give it a very wide pass.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Jan 2, 11 5:30 PM
rainice wrote:After reading all the reviews and seeing how many people are upset by the seeming stereotypes and racial overtones, I am curious about something. Does anyone know if Bigfish has ever pulled a game off it's gamesight because of this kind of negative feedback?

If they haven't ever done that, they need to start with this disgusting excuse for a game -and they need to do it NOW!

[Post New]by revjlv on Jan 2, 11 5:56 PM
Love Hog games but this one is just crap!!! Don't Buy!!!!!

ahsten75
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by ahsten75 on Jan 2, 11 6:01 PM
While I did not like the stereotyping of Mexicans (or Texans for that matter), my real problems were with the language and the navigation.

Language: I have the feeling the developers were Spanish speakers hence the "sheet" being a leaf -- a literal translation of "hoja" (leaf or sheet of paper) and the "tube" turning out to be a pipe -- "pipa" (tube or pipe). I think they used an electronic translator on this game.

Navigation: There were no real indications on what could be opened (cabinets, drawers) to look for more objects. You were limited as to what you could do and where you could go for no apparent reason, so when you're stuck, you have to go back through all the scenes to find if something is sparkling. The rewards obtained from the hidden object screens had nothing to do with what was in the scene and that threw me off quite a bit.

All in all, it was a game that still needs A LOT of work done to it.

And back to the Mexican stereotypes, After living in different parts of Mexico for the last 28 years, I've never seen a Mexican dressed like that -- not even people from indigenous communities who wear typical clothing.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 2, 11 6:04 PM
Wow! How do you guys get away with the stereotyping? I was insulted and I am not of Hispanic descent. I do teach Spanish and if I ever displayed such pictures in my classroom, I would have complaints. You guys are just adding to the already mistaken impression of Mexicans. No everyone from Mexico is a migrant worker and wears serapes etc. Wow how stereotypical.

[Post New]by pemery on Jan 2, 11 8:58 PM
The WORST game I've ever tried. Couldn't delete it faster enough....no, really, couldn't delete it fast enough because my computer is SO SLOW now. Really glad I didn't pay for it.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 2, 11 9:22 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I usually just roll my eyes at people who are easily offended, since they don't warrant a reply in most cases. However, this game even got my hackles up and made me madder'n a snake in a wagon rut on a hot day in August after being sprayed by a skunk that had just drunk hooch that was three days bad.

Actually, it didn't make me mad at all, but I do love long hyperbolic sentences like that.

Seriously, I figure this game was developed by folks over in Russia, who seem to be making quite a few of these nowadays. Perhaps their opinions of folks in the southwest are still based on Soviet propaganda films from the 1960s, hence the racial stereotyping. Either that, or the translators did a really bad job when trying to make old John Wayne/Gabby Hayes movies accessible to Russians. Who knows? The point is, the game reeks like the inside of a closed tent at night after one too many meals of chili with beans.

This might just be me, but when you first saw the picture for the game, with the two dudes standing under the title, did you think of the line from Brokeback Mountain? "I can't quit you, Heck." Yeah, must just be me.

You can make excuses for foreign developers but what is the excuse for Big Fish Games to accept this game to offer to their members? I'm convinced there isn't a quality control or someone to check the games for acceptable content.

bsbagwell
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by bsbagwell on Jan 3, 11 2:25 AM
Waste of my time. I've been buying Big Fish Games for years and this has got to be the worst! It has racist remarks and it's crazy at the "Leaf" being a "sheet" and ect., ect, ect. I'm with all the others comments on how bad this game is. I've never even posted on a forum, but I felt this one needed to be commented on. Don't waste your time and don't waste your money. Big Fish, you really disappointed me on this one.

Edited on 01/03/2011 at 2:26:17 AM PST

bsbagwell
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by bsbagwell on Jan 3, 11 2:27 AM
I agree with Barbee44!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 3, 11 3:50 AM
After all the nearly hysterical complaints, I was curious and tried it out last night. I got the impression the game was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, what with the zombie-like crowd of hungry shoppers shoveling food in their faces at the beginning of the game, and that ridiculous costume the FBI agent put on, complete with droopy mustache and cigar... but I couldn't go any further than the mailbox. Those quick response games are beyond me, especially on a laptop touchpad.

Probably could have been a decent game if the developers had done a little homework on their intended audience. If this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, they'd probably have to announce it since that type of humor seems to fly over most people's heads, myself included.

maxforme
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by maxforme on Jan 3, 11 4:47 AM
I have to agree with all the negatives. I usually give any game the one hour trial but this one only lasted 10 minutes. Too ridiculous for words. Whoever proofed this game needs a long coffee break.
Many times I have had problems with the description of the hidden objects but this one really takes the cake. Also, it wasn't until I used the hint that I found out there were doors, etc that could open to find other objects.
The satelite dish is the most annoying thing I have ever seen. It is constantly in sight and very distracting.
This one is going into the recycle bin.

Go to: