Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hexus

[Post New]by missillusioned on Jan 12, 11 9:16 AM
Hi Eugene!
I love this style of game! I played this sort of game years ago online somewhere... I cannot for the life of me remember what that game was called but I know it wa very addicting!

I think it's really neat you have tried to keep the game authentic to Egypt. I have studied about Egypt at university a little bit and it really annoys me when people make Egypt games and they base them on popular concepts of what people think Egyptians are like (e.g slaves building pyramids) rather than actual historical facts.

I really like how you had the female pharaoh addressed as my lord, as that is indeed how she would have been addressed. That is how Hatshepsut was addressed and depicted. Perhaps you could sneak in an explanation in the introduction or in the tutorial which expalins this for people who do not understand and let it bug them

For the name Mouses.. it is a shame that it is read that way in English. What I would suggest is Mauses. That would be close enough in my opinion.

Thankyou for the great game

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Jan 12, 11 11:37 AM
I thank each and every one of you who took the time to learn the game, discovered it was great and educational, that it used strategy, that it was absorbing and fun and that it blended several different types of game play - and especially do I thank you for coming back to this forum and telling the rest of us about that. For awhile there, yesterday, this thread was really getting me down, as it had to have been for Eugene, too.

Btw, Eugene, thank you so much for caring enough about your game/s and about our reception of them to join in the forums as your are doing. That means a lot to us players. You've been polite and open to the comments all along.

I need to ask, would the name missillusioned suggested, Mauses, be acceptable to you? That struck me as the best mentioned yet. I mulled over the name all night last night, wondering what could be done about the problem people were having with it. I thought of quoting Shakespeare's comments on names, but that would have served no purpose, lol. And actually it was rather bothering me, too, although it would not have stopped my playing Hexus, nor would I necessarily have brought it up - I might have. But I think Mauses is the best suggestion I've read yet.

I'm also very grateful for the themes you have used in your games, Eugene, and for your care to be historically accurate. FINALLY, a game one can bask in - and I don't mean to run other games down, I have lots and love most of them. But this is the kind of game with depth, challenge, and variety that one yearns for, but seldom finds. Thank you.

And also, one more thanks, and that is to all of you other fishes who brought up Jane Angel. This is another game that slipped past my notice, but after reading about it here yesterday, I looked into that one also, and found again a theme I applaud.

Both of these games are definite buys, for me. They're great!

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 12, 11 11:43 AM
Hi, Genet1770, missillusioned, PaulG!
I'm glad that you like Hexus Thanks a lot!
We wanted to make something unique and really outstanding - somewhere we did it successfully, somewhere we failed
I clearly see all our flaws.

Best regards, Eugene.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 12, 11 2:47 PM
I don't have any problem with the name Mauses either, right off hand.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 12, 11 3:01 PM
The graphics are good. The gameplay for the adventure is interesting (ignore the lines and destroy them, hit the adventure). It is a M6 (match 6) as this is the miminum number you can match to get a group of a color to disappear. There is a large building section, which is fantastic! The market to dress and customize your character is fantastic. Buildings are upgradable and there are plants/flowers to add as well. The storyline is fantastic and as noted by the devs (in this post) a huge nod to history. Well done and totally enjoyable.

This game is an A.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 12, 11 5:06 PM
Eugene, do you have beta testers who give you feedback and help polishing it before release? I don't know how the business works but seems to me if this had been in the BF Sneak Peek program you would have had more editors than wished for and not cost you to hire them. Closed betas get the full game, not just a sample. Instead, these threads and the ones for Jane Angel lead to rebuilds, and you lose the initial release impact gamers love and get lost in the crowd until maybe a DD revives a good game overlooked.

If not through BF, then maybe email betas to those on forums interested. I bought JA first time out, had no problems with it technically, enjoyed it because I am used to overlooking translations etc. When corrections were made I downloaded the rebuild, and frankly the first ran better, there were some graphics glitches like black lines on second one so wished I had the original back.

I can't imagine how devs get same game translated in so many other languages other than their first language and please everyone. Actually Mauses looks good but in French au would be Moses. How about something that means nothing like Mokfu or Mohoteph, Moseth, Moseph ??

I guess I'll wait to buy a rebuild if that is in the works. And BF should change the genre to puzzle, not M3. There isn't one for Match6, which is what made it more fun. I didn't even get to the HOGs or FTDs since it took most my hour just trying to learn how to play and what to do. I'm a slow reader, so don't make the story or instructions move any faster, I never know if I hit Skip I'd get no more words, Continue and Skip would satisfy those who don't want to read, or on replay where you already know what it said.

As far as the chart ratings, many great games were slow to take off then become almost cult games for a selective audience and word of mouth. Also, BF isn't the only site that reviews and rates games. I can name games that never got to top 10 or 20 that got 5 stars on other sites. So don't despair.

Are you still just a 2 person team? You are really a match for those games with credits that crawl on and on. Good work

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 12, 11 5:50 PM
I'm glad to see this thread has gone in a positive direction. I love new variations of match-3 type gameplay. So many games take the same-old gameplay and put new window dressing on it, and for me, that gets old pretty fast. The ones with new gameplay are the ones that intrigue me.

(- Personally I'm quite fine with the match-3 category including match 2's, match 5's, and match 6's... Before this category was made, these games were in the puzzle games category and were impossible to find with all the HOG's in there - and I do remember those days and shudder lol - it was a long dark winter in my gaming world... Putting the marble poppers like Zuma and Luxor in a separate category got those out of my way too. All the rest are ones I want to consider :-). )

Edited on 01/12/2011 at 5:59:02 PM PST

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 13, 11 12:22 AM
to puzzledone
We had only family and friends testers It isn't so easy to participate in BF Sneak Peek as soon as Hexus seems not to be a matter of interest for most of Bf audience (I'm sure it could be accepted good if they'll try, but reality is not so kind for us like you are - the Hexus' downloads rate is extremely low - you just could see it in top100 here).
I hope we'll participate with Jane Angel 2 cause it is genre most popular now.
I'm thinking about the way to introduce own beta-test (as you wrote, via e0mail), but feel the lack of productive resources to create it then support it. Anyway we'll do something with that.
(BTW, I'd be here even if our game will be without any bug or problem - just to listen players and bring suggested improvements into next game we make).
I feel brave about quality of Hexus so place98 here doesn't mean we woudn't be successfull on other portals - I'm upset little bit cause I like BFG audience.

Yes, we are still 2 person team. But will probably grow, because of attitude to "garage guys" - it isn't so good in terms of business as it is in terms of players sympathy
Best regards, Eugene.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 13, 11 6:09 AM
I'm up to level 50-something now, and I do want to comment that I like the aesthetics of your game boards. And the sound environment is decent too.

I just put together a picture of a painting that looked nice, but as soon as I finished putting it together it was gone before I could take a good look at it. It was a nice change of pace from the other mini-games. And I imagine the male players will appreciate that painting more than I did too. (As for me, I'm playing the male character, and wishing he had a bit more muscle tone in the chest and stomach...)

I haven't lost a round yet and I haven't paid any attention at all to the powerups - I assume that's what the bombs and lightning are that I get in the city view... So for me it's a very relaxed game so far. It plays fairly similar to the match-5 games I have, in having to be aware of the board filling up.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jan 13, 11 11:49 AM
I really like this game allot. I don't know how many levels I've played but I'm building a city and I'm dressing a queen,(at least I think that's what she is) I give this game a 5-5

melantha5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by melantha5 on Jan 13, 11 2:33 PM
I'm hooked on this game. The graphics are beautiful. I agree that there are some language issues, but the biggest question or problem that I had to do with understanding the "scoring" of the game.

I definitely think that the mechanics of the game could use greater explanation. For instance, it took me a while to understand how to get coins for building. I had to play a number of times to discover that a) buildings can only be purchased by gold coins, that b) gold coins can only be earned on the game board by completing objectives (so a chain from here to Canada would not earn you more building money) that c) some buildings produce gold coins - while others produce silver and that, d) as far as I can tell silver coins can be used to buy trees which has some connection to the population limit.

There are lots of things that you can focus on - bedecking your avatar, upgrading your city, or challenging yourself by trying to create the longest chains possible. More explanation of the mechanics and "rewards" for play, I think, would help to allow the player to better maximize his/her strategy. It would also be cool, I think, if the levels were replayable for a higher score (points, coins, whichever).

Anyway...overall, I think the game is interesting to play and lovely to view.

Thanks to Eugene for taking the time to read our posts.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 13, 11 5:25 PM
Here's another bit of English that you might want to change, as it comes up often in the game: "You will be awarded for your efforts" - use the word "rewarded" instead of "awarded". - "You will be rewarded for your efforts."

Explanation: Usually when we say "you will be awarded" we include *what* we will be awarded right after that phrase, in the same sentence: You will be awarded a prize if you win the race. You will be awarded a trophy. You will be awarded a medal for your brave actions.

muppetmel
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

About "Mouses"

[Post New]by muppetmel on Jan 13, 11 6:53 PM
Not quite sure if that was the intent, but your guide "Mouses" looks like Moses, who led the Hebrews out of slavery and Egypt (ask me how I know!).

While Moses was a Hebrew, the name is actually Egyptian, and I believe it means "from the reeds." It was given to him by Batya, Pharoah's daughter, who pulled Moses from the reeds in a basket (remember that story?).

So Mouses is a cute play on a real name based on a real person who formed part of the Pharaoaic Egypt narrative -- and my Jewish heritage.

Am I close?

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Jan 13, 11 8:37 PM
Hi!

First, I'd like to thank the developers for representing themselves on the Forum. It's great to have someone actually accountable for gamers/players to talk to. Thank you!

OVERALL: 15 out of 20. Recommended!
Graphics: 4 out of 5. Nicely done! Customization of the face was a nice touch.
Sound: 4 out of 5. I usually turn the music off, but I'm leaving it on. It fits nicely.
Gameplay: 4 out of 5. It can get a bit complicated, but there are ways to find out what you need to know without too much disruption of your time. I haven't played very much of it yet, so I'm giving the game the benefit of the doubt that it will continue to be easy to find what I need to know.
Fun Factor: 3 out of 5. I want to say 5 out of 5, but I just can't. I've read the comments and the replies, but I'm sorry. Your "style of English" just doesn't work for me and comes across as simply wrong. The historical errors are something I can't go into in depth here, so I won't try. Complaints aside, once you ignore all those small things, the game itself is very compelling and addictive. The addition of the two bonus games makes it a truly worthwhile purchase.

To the developers: Does it really matter if you are right or wrong in your choice of English style? What matters is that it irritated enough people not to look further into a good game and buy it. I almost made that mistake.

Great gaming to everyone! Life is too short to not have fun!

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

About "Mouses"

[Post New]by talisman018 on Jan 13, 11 9:00 PM
muppetmel wrote:Not quite sure if that was the intent, but your guide "Mouses" looks like Moses, who led the Hebrews out of slavery and Egypt (ask me how I know!).

While Moses was a Hebrew, the name is actually Egyptian, and I believe it means "from the reeds." It was given to him by Batya, Pharoah's daughter, who pulled Moses from the reeds in a basket (remember that story?).

So Mouses is a cute play on a real name based on a real person who formed part of the Pharaoaic Egypt narrative -- and my Jewish heritage.

Am I close?

Hi, Muppetmel!

According to my copy of "The Oxford Egyptian Grammar" textbook, the Egyptian name "Mouses" sounds like moo-sess (not like MO-zez). It means something like "Powerful Water" or "Strong Water". I don't think they meant that one, though. I think they meant yours.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

About "Mouses"

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 13, 11 11:19 PM
talisman018 wrote:

According to my copy of "The Oxford Egyptian Grammar" textbook, the Egyptian name "Mouses" sounds like moo-sess (not like MO-zez). It means something like "Powerful Water" or "Strong Water". I don't think they meant that one, though. I think they meant yours.

Well why didn't the game just say so lol! Lets see, we've thought of small rodents, large antlered mammals in Canada, and if we try Mousses, we can make him the royal hair stylist or chef perhaps ;-).... lol

(The game is fun - I'm up to about level 72 I think... but this forum is funnier lol!)

Edited on 01/14/2011 at 12:16:30 AM PST

muppetmel
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

About "Mouses"

[Post New]by muppetmel on Jan 14, 11 4:31 AM
gimmegames wrote:
talisman018 wrote:

Well why didn't the game just say so lol! Lets see, we've thought of small rodents, large antlered mammals in Canada, and if we try Mousses, we can make him the royal hair stylist or chef perhaps ;-).... lol

(The game is n - I'm up to about level 72 I think... but this forum is funnier lol!)

Hee hee, or a pudding-like chocolaty dessert!

muppetmel
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

About "Mouses"

[Post New]by muppetmel on Jan 14, 11 4:32 AM
talisman018 wrote:
muppetmel wrote:Not quite sure if that was the intent, but your guide "Mouses" looks like Moses, who led the Hebrews out of slavery and Egypt (ask me how I know!).

Am I close?

Hi, Muppetmel!

Hi Talisman, I love your rating system. Do you do that for a lot of games? I'll have to check it out. I just started reading the forums for game ratings. Never did that before, and helps me decide!

Edited on 01/14/2011 at 4:34:02 AM PST

[Post New]by jletts60 on Jan 14, 11 5:38 AM
I liked the adventure section and bought the game...now when I play into what appears to be board 43 I must use bonuses and they aren't working so I can progress no farther. There are no instructions that I can find and no help section. If I click on the bonsus the bomb in the red circle comes with me and works, the others just make an explosive sound and do nothing...suggestions please

[Post New]by Eugene_Duranin on Jan 14, 11 5:59 AM
Great to see discussion like this one

to talisman018
Hello, I just want to make some comments -
1) Language - I agree with you - some mistakes are very serious, but you also should understand us Our studio consists of two persons - programmer (all technical stuff, sound/music plus game design shared between us) and me (art, scenario, communication and the rest). We give all translation to outsourcers cause English my third language and I'm absolutely not linguist -so it is sometimes hard to be aware "are our texts good or not". I understand that it gives not much excuses for us - that's just an explanation why it is.
2) About historical facts - my second university education is historical. But I also assume that most of players wants to play the game not to follow historical facts (btw "historical facts" also sound funny). I just made two assumption - 1) Exodus, Hyksos invasion are two links of one chain. 2) Old Jews and Old Egyptians were one nation. That's basis for the story. All artefatcs are just gameplay slaves of course

Best regards, Eugene.

Go to: