kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life

[Post New]by kitty1 on Jan 25, 11 12:19 PM
Wow, it is not often that I have actively disliked a game. Don't know if it it my computer or not but this game moves SO slowly. I really dislike that I can't disable the floating cursor. This does definitely strike me as an older game that has been revamped, which in itself is not a bad thing--I was totally enjoying Broken Sword which is somewhat the same genre. Also disliked that when the characters were in a talking scene, I couldn't access the menu. It took me forever just to escape the game!

Not sure what is going on with BF. Both of the games I downloaded this morning seemed to have problems--and some BF downloads are showing up on my AVG security as corrupt files

[Post New]by trustu49 on Jan 27, 11 3:37 AM
I really like the game I just don't know how to feed the camel. Can anyone help? Is there a glitch?

[Post New]by missmerrily on Jan 27, 11 6:05 PM
The storyline has the potential for a great adventure game, but is spoiled by some of the most boring and extensive dialogue I have ever endured in a game.
If that is not bad enough the inventory glitches reported in the forums here make me nervous of even bothering to go further, having already experienced the oft mentioned janitor/toner problem myself. What a pity!

Edited on 01/27/2011 at 6:15:31 PM PST

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jan 28, 11 4:12 PM
Mmmm.... I liked the basic plot of the story (mysterious antiquity, reference to nice locations) the graphs were ok, music neutral.
Dilsiked the speed, disliked the interaction.

Abhorred the dialogues. I managed to survive up until when Sylvie finds Claire to ask her for the clue (first change of location for Claire), the conversation just made me want to shut down the computer: I decided on simply turning off the game and not even saving.

What a bunch of insensitive, unkind, superficial people: Sylvie calling Antoine ridiculous, to a guy who's just trying -painfully, I admit- to be amusing was quite rude. I got the feeling Claire was more worried on the discomforts of smoking outside than by the loss of Marcel, the boss seemed more worried to get the job done quickly (especially after his drink offer is declined) than in getting the job done professionally ("we can just pay for a few hours?????").

And maybe it's me, but in the short while I played this I got the feeling everyone was in need of Bromide in their tea. .

I usually like Adventure Games and this one looked interesting. Maybe it gets better later on. But having to stand these dialogues just to get the official "permit" to allow you to activate the puzzle areas you've discovered 10 minutes ago is just too much for me.

Most Tedious and SlightlyTacky

[Post New]by reddice on Jan 29, 11 12:25 AM
Just finished the game. Figured out the lever setting for the elevator was waaaayyyy on the left. Loved the graphics, very beautiful illustrations, kudoos to the animators!!! Dialogues were inane sometimes...is that babble? Who writes this dialogue? I find there's a lot of unresolved story, like Sylvie promised to bring back a copy of her book to the museum director and also a copy for the antiquiary man in Cairo. Characters are developed and then they disappear? It would have been nice to return to the museum or France to resolve issues like the animosity between Antoine and the inn keeper. What about the sitting on the bench with a cider or melancholic time? Seems like the creators ran out of steam or I think they had a timeline. Seems if you want it really badly you get it very badly... Also very glitchy game, needs work!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 29, 11 2:33 PM
Love this game so far. A real adventure and for me right up my alley. I haven't encountered any glitches so far. Fingers are crossed.

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on Jan 29, 11 2:51 PM
BigTfromAV wrote:The problem for me is not the game itself but trying to use the walkthrough is frustrating. It is very incomplete. I tried for almost 5 minutes to get the ramrod out of the gun - which was a pain to get to - and still couldn't do it. I uninstalled. Not a buy for me - too slow and very frustrating.

Sorry - I reposted this comment without adding my own. I got the ramrod out of the gun without even realizing I needed to do that! It was instantaneous. Maybe you have a little glitch there.

Edited on 01/29/2011 at 2:54:12 PM PST

awokie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by awokie on Jan 29, 11 3:13 PM
wow i love this game if it werent for having to be so specific about where and how you play it. Ive gotten stuck because of the glitches and had to reinstall it, cant even go back to a previous saved and get it to work, So frustrating but still yet fun. guess im going to ask for a replacement code.

lauramarie8
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by lauramarie8 on Feb 1, 11 1:17 AM
yourshannygirl wrote:
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Weeelll, 1 Giga full of "bla-bla" - I'll save the space...

LOL! How funny! Well, I for one am tired of "Adventure Games" getting listed as something else! Last time it was "Death at Faring Point" being listed as a HOG and it had 1 Hidden Object Scene in the whole entire game the rest was adventure gaming so it was improperly listed. From everyone's reviews so far this is an adventure game and it's listed as an "Action and Arcade" game. Why don't they just call it what it is? I just think that's so strange. There some people who do like Adventure games here. Do they think that they'll somehow get more people to buy it by lying about the genre? Is it somehow like putting a ribbon on a potato for them? ha ha ha! I don't know, but while the graphics look lovely I don't feel like wandering aimlessly around for hours on end! I'll stick with my HOGs and IHOGs, thank you!
Death at Fairing Point had many HOGscenes in it. Maybe you accidentally missed some, but there are more than one.

[Post New]by gailb7 on Feb 2, 11 2:04 AM
Hi, saw that yuu posted your message on the 19th, and hope you finished the game. I have a problem with the game and did not know if you encountered the same. I am in Venice and took the tools from the showcase in the meeting hall, and was at the point to clean the Chromoniter. I first used the swab on the silver cleaning stuff, then clicked the brush on the other jar of cleaning stuff, the jar dissapeared from my inventory, but when I try to use the brush on the Chromoniter, nothing happens and it won't clean. I can't seem to get it to work. And really can't go any further. Can you help or have any suggestions on what to do. I would hate to redo a previous saved game before this action. Please advise. Thank you, Gail

[Post New]by missmerrily on Feb 4, 11 6:30 AM
Despite quite a lot of controversial comment about Tree of Life, (including some of mine) regarding possible glitches, this game was overall really entertaining and not too ridiculously difficult to accomplish.
Leaving aside the really crazy and far too lengthy dialogue, and the 'glitches', which I learned to overcome by frequent game saves, I'm giving this game an overall 4 out of 5.
Real positives for me were the question marks available in each scene to make sure I did not leave without finding everything to be found, and the automatic game save which occurred at a very critical part of the game.
Lovers of this genre of game, like me, will probably overlook any of its shortcomings and thoroughly enjoy it.

ArmyMom88
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by ArmyMom88 on Feb 12, 11 1:58 AM
I agree with most of the other fish that this is an adventure game and not action or arcade. If you ¨run¨ the character, it is a little faster paced but too much talking. You can click through the talking pretty quickly and use the journal to get the important information you need to solve things. However, this game has to be saved every few minutes because of all the glitches. I ran into so many instances where you did everything you needed to do but an item that was supposed to go into your inventory didn´t show up, or a character could not be found or something that was supposed to occur, did not occur. I had to return to previous saved games to redo much of what I had done in a different order so that the glitch could be passed over. It was extremely frustrating to have to redo things all the time. The walkthrough is not very clear but with the help of the forums, I found that most other users had the same issues that I did and it usually meant going back to a previous save in order to move forward. It was 3 steps forward, 1 or 2 back throughout the adventure. It was a very challenging game but not well tested. If you like a challenge and good story, it´s great but remember to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE so you don´t have to go back to the beginning!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Feb 17, 11 12:12 PM
Well, what to say about this game...a bit mixed on this one. I have played the first game in the series, The Scorpio Ritual as well as several of the Art of Murder games. I always really enjoy these types of adventure games, as they take a bit more thinking and time than IHOG type games, and usually the stories are pretty good.

This one had similar navigation, graphics and flow as the past games by these developers. Although the graphics were very nice as always, and the story had its twists and turns, I have to admit this one did not draw me in as much as the others. I think this was primarily due to the very odd dialog sequences, which seemed to be very disjointed. It was obvious the developers were trying to make a nice complex adventure story, but it just seemed lost in translation for much of the game. Also, some of the puzzles were really a bit much in terms of logic, and required a walkthrough on several occasions. I found myself getting impatient to just get on with it more than once during this game.

While I would like to see a lot more games of this style, and so few developers are making these types of games, I have to say I can see why people are put off by a game like this. I do hope the developers continue making games in this series, but would like to see the dialogs and stories be more cohesive.

Although I still liked the game for the most part in spite of its drawbacks, I would recommend this one only to those who have played and enjoyed previous games in this or the Art of Murder series - this is definitely not the game to start with...

[Post New]by drlnikki on Feb 18, 11 6:43 PM
Donna1876 wrote:This game could be played in half the time it actually takes. There is not enough actual game content, I really got fed up with all the chatting, In my opinion it really is excessive and spoils the game.

Totally agree.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Feb 20, 11 12:23 AM
If you enjoy games with internal glitches, that force players to go back to earlier saved places and re-do actions that they have already completed correctly, then this is the game for you. If dead ends, and game freezes are exciting to you and you thrill each time that character cut scenes and endless dialogue fail to move the story forward, then you won't want to miss “Chronicles of Mystery: Tree of Life.” But if you like games where successfully solved puzzles result in actual game movement, then buy something else. This game is only for those who love tedium, programming malfunction and frustration.

driain
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by driain on Feb 21, 11 10:53 AM
Completely agree with most of the adverse reviews for this "game". How about a new Big Fish genre - character-forming?

Maven
Clownfish
Clownfish
944 Posts

[Post New]by Maven on Feb 22, 11 6:59 PM
reddice:
I find there's a lot of unresolved story, like Sylvie promised to bring back a copy of her book to the museum director and also a copy for the antiquiary man in Cairo.

Consider that "product placement" since the book was about her adventure in Scorpio Ritual (the first game in this series). I thought it was clever.

----

Aside from some frustration with the exactitude of game play, I still had a lot of fun with this one.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 26, 11 8:00 PM
What a great game!!! Really loved this game and made it through with none of the reported problems by other players. Was happy about that. The game is very linear and I had some problems with doing exactly what I was supposed to do and at the right time. Some parts were not particularly logical to me, but it made a good game anyway.

The story was very good, well developed and thought provoking. The ending was complete and appropriate with the story. Actually I consider this story right up there with the award winning The Longest Journey.

ETA: Perhaps one reason I did not have all the glitches is because I always allowed the dialogue to appear completely on the screen before clicking past it. The story is one of the most important parts of this game. Fast clicking through dialogue may mean that you miss important "triggers" or cues for continuing gameplay.

ETA2: Possible Cause of Glitches:I went back and tried to duplicate errors found in the forums and I found them. When I "fast click" through the dialogue, it doesn't record right in the notebook. This will then get you "hung up" so you can't progress in the game. Some things just will not happen as they are supposed to happen. This can also corrupt the save games. If you are "stuck" check dialogue in the notebook. If it hasn't recorded correctly, I don't think there is any way you will be able to finish this game. I had some success with closing down, exiting, the game, restarting computer, and restarting game from a prior "good" save. To check and make sure it is "good", look at the dialogue -- is it correct? For me, it was the last save at a prior location, for example, when I was stuck in Venice, I had to use save from Brittany.

Actually some of the dialogue had me laughing out loud at the humor implied. The internet compared to the Net in Cairo -- great humorous moments throughout.

Edited on 03/01/2011 at 4:39:50 PM PST

[Post New]by Kimmieroo on Feb 27, 11 4:07 PM
Great game until I came across all the glitches. I am not happy!!!!!!!!!!!Cancelled my subscription...........I have been with Big Fish for a very long time.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Feb 28, 11 1:37 AM
I like adventure games but after getting stuck at the same place (Venice) talking to the count and not being able to move on, I uninstalled it. A very frustrating game. Bring on more Carol Reed games!

Go to: