brandy914
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Stroke of Midnight

[Post New]by brandy914 on Jan 21, 11 12:17 PM
I LOVE this game. I am really surprised to see so many negative comments about it. The game has many new twists to it .They took things we expect in games like these but changed it up a notch. You do not keep things in your inventory however I liked that because there is nothing I get more irritated with then when you have collected so many things that you have to scroll through the tools to find it. It is OK when there are a few but geesh sometimes you have a dozen things to keep track of. Just let me use it already! just finished the hour demo and can't wait to purchase. You get so submursed in this game. Graphics were fantastic, a bit dark but that only added to the environment. Many people are complaining about the movement in the game. Usually I am not a fan of adventure games for this very reason but the way they did it in this game reminds of, well the only way I can think to describe it is I felt like I was on a ride at disney like the haunted mansion. It was very well done and the devs really threw some interesting twists in to make the game new and different. When you pan in and out and look around the room it is not that floatie feeling nor do you turn to far to the right or left. It is just enough to keep the scene interesting.I suggest that you play the ENTIRE demo before making a decision to buy and not just go by the reviews.

Just wanted to add that I did think the voice over were not so hot. They actually made me giggle

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 12:18:54 PM PST

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Jan 21, 11 12:26 PM
The movement/panning didn't bother me. As with the last 14 games I've bought here recently, I don't have full screen access.

It's a game with potential but I found myself almost nose to screen in the HOG scenes to find items. Got bored with 10 minutes left in trial.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Jan 21, 11 12:29 PM
Just finished the demo and I really like the game. The movement does not bother me at all but the white rectangles that pop up here and there do. Learned to just ignore them but it does take away from the enjoyment of the game.

Will I buy it? Depends on if they can get rid of the white spaces as the 'difference' of this game is really appealing to me. It's a little quirky and I don't mind a familiar story line. After getting used to the hints, I also liked that aspect rather than a cache of objects to figure out how to use.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 21, 11 12:32 PM
peglegann wrote:
LizzieK wrote:
[removed by moderator]

This is an interesting review. I don't think I saw any old women or cat ladies in the game.

OUCH !!! ( The only cat lady I saw was "Super Granny" where you rescue all the cats. Loved that game). Can be found on Big Fish.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 12:48:44 PM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 21, 11 12:43 PM
mhatfie wrote:
peglegann wrote:
LizzieK wrote:
[removed by moderator]

This is an interesting review. I don't think I saw any old women or cat ladies in the game.

OUCH !!! ( The only cat lady I saw was "Super Granny" where you rescue all the cats. Loved that game). Can be found on Big Fish.

Thank you.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 12:49:07 PM PST

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Jan 21, 11 12:52 PM
Hello Fishies,

Let's please keep this thread reserved only for Comments & Reviews and discussions about The Stroke of Midnight.

If you have any issues with a post, please get in touch with a Moderator as replying back to a post that may be breaking Forum Rules, is also going against the rules.

If you have any questions, please let any Moderators know. Thank you!

-bfgArnoStyx

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on Jan 21, 11 1:20 PM
No buy for me. Made me sick to my stomach, gave me a headache and just couldn't enjoy it and normally this doesn't bother me. The plot is decent, graphics are nice but the motion was too fast like a floating ghost more than a person walking. I didn't like the HOG's because they were too easy for me. It would be great if developers gave you the option of walking around like that with the motions fast like they seemed to be, or a slower option as it seemed very fast but that could just be me. Think I'm going to go lay down for a bit and get my brain to settle down as it feels like it's doing flip flops. Sorry, not spending a credit on this one even though it seems like it would be a great game.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Jan 21, 11 1:56 PM
CasualGran wrote:Well yes, this game is different, but it doesn't appeal to me. It's like floating around in a dream all the time, all this movement annoyed me pretty quickly. Then the story: seems to be about another love-couple that couldn't stay together for some reason, like 'Death at Fairing Point' (very similar stories it seems, now that I'm thinking of it... )
And then this name: Vlad. As if that's about the only man's name in eastern Europe....

Well, I'm lacking the patience to discover what's it all about. And I prefer not-moving scenes where I can peacefully look for the things I need.

Really, I tried to like this game, but when I had been searching for 5 minutes or so in the corridor for a place to put my chainhandle (or something?) without success, and only kept hearing this annoyingly high woman's voice say: 'I can't use this heeere?!' I had enough.

Not my game. Won't buy.

I am right behind you - tried & won't buy
The same reasons - the game was nice looking but really didn’t like the movements and it one additional issue – the game just didn’t not grab me – I was more annoyed than finding this fun.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jan 21, 11 2:41 PM
I liked the story line but didn't like the following facts.

1. No Hints

2. Too Dark in places

3 Not long enough.

Your new version Treasurer Seekers is great.

[Post New]by kathyandmickey on Jan 21, 11 2:46 PM
I don't think I like this game, it seems like every time you accomplished ONE thing, it goes back to page with the picture of the house on it to load? Lots of waiting time to play the game, I don't think I will buy it.

shanyem
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shanyem on Jan 21, 11 3:19 PM
Just a few thoughts...I really enjoyed the 3D effect...shows where all gaming should be in my opinion. I've been playing adventure games for many many years (began in the days when I had to load 8 - 10 floppies into the pc just to play! lol!) and this game has some AG type qualities - moving the cursor as you would your eyes to look around, for example. I personally would love to see all HOG and adventure type games have this at least as an option. It helps to give the feeling of really looking around your environment.
I definitely do NOT like that there is no hint within the **** areas. I haven't had to use a hint while playing but I think that there is definitely a need for one in these areas.
I've completed the demo...still unsure if it's a buy for me but am seriously considering it. It'll be a nice passtime while the snow falls!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 21, 11 3:36 PM

shanyem-
the HOG hints: just click on the hidden object word and the game shows exactly where the item is - no recharge time.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 21, 11 3:37 PM
Totally cool!!! Really like this game. Actually love it. And, Mark Arlan you are right it is a little reminiscent of the Seventh Guest. The graphics are beautiful. Hum. I like this game better than the CE which Big Fish just released. Sorry. But when I can get a great game like this for $6.99, I am not going to pay $13.99 for a game which to me doesn't have the same quality. Like the music as well. If you are going to charge $13.99, it should be a quality game with beautiful graphics and SPEAKING.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jan 21, 11 3:45 PM
Astounding graphics! Nice music, good storyline, and no time limits. The developers could have given a bit of explanation about how the hint system works, and how to use the mirrors and their clues. I don't use the walkthroughs a lot, but I do usually check the "General Hints" at the beginning. (That way I get more in-depth information without spoiling the game, itself.) The hints at the beginning of the walkthrough are extremely helpful for truly enjoying this game. The hints are unlimited and recharge immediately. Mini-games can be skipped. This is a beautifully done game; which is more like watching a movie than playing a game, in the sense that you "move" when it is appropriate. For those of us who have played games like Mystery in London, this is fine. (I think a lot of folks who may have a problem with the movement may find it is not as much a problem if you make sure not to sit too close to your monitor - you don't sit with your face right up by your television screen.) The dialogue is interesting and contains hints and the voice acting is excellent. Having finished the demo, I will be buying this one; even though I suspect the playing time might be a bit shorter than I would like. (I scrolled through the walkthrough to see how far I had gotten; and I am about a third finished.) The fact that the developers cared enough to use correct grammar and intelligible dialogue is the reason this is a "Yes" for me. I would rather have a slightly shorter game that does not butcher the language. For players that find "backtracking" to use inventory items annoying, this will be great; because you use inventory items in the location where you find them. I hope we see more like this in the near future.

Edited on 01/22/2011 at 5:50:53 AM PST

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jan 21, 11 3:48 PM
sunnyglow wrote:Totally cool!!! Really like this game. Actually love it. And, Mark Arlan you are right it is a little reminiscent of the Seventh Guest.

I'm happy you like the game, SunnyGlow!
Not many appreciate the top-notch development that went into this title.
There's also a bonus novel when you complete the game.
It's too bad they're not giving this game a chance.
I didn't realize how many dizzy gamers there are out there.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Jan 21, 11 4:00 PM
This game is a really different HOG and I love it. I only played about a half an hour and was enthralled by the whole concept. For me. I enjoyed being able to move around the room. Some game such as Cleopatra made me dizzy. I enjoyed the game but could not play for very long stretches. This game did not bother me that way at all.
The graphics are just beautiful. I usually turn off the music so, I can not comment about that. The HOGs were very clear which, is a plus for us older folks.

After reading the reviews, I decided to buy and am pretty sure that this is going to be an enjoyable game.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 21, 11 4:10 PM
Belladonna32 wrote:I really like the style of this despite the "handholding" and was about to buy when I decidede to have one last look here. It now appears that it is rather a short game so I'm hesitating. perhaps wait a while to see what else is on offer.

Barbee and CasualGran - ir you are still around SPOILER

The thing you take from the wall in the hall has to be attached to a chain hanging from the ceiling. When this is pulled it enables you to move on.

Thanks for the warning, Bella, but I decided it would be easier just to read your hint and not look at the WT just yet. Thank you.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 21, 11 4:13 PM
I don't think I care for this game. I know I don't like the "movement"! I don't like having the "inventory" item I need as soon as I need it. The graphics are beautiful, but can't say that offsets the negatives for me. I guess I was spoiled by Dire Grove and RTR - can't wait for another of those! Will buy those without the demo!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jan 21, 11 4:18 PM
This is a buy for me simply based on the graphics, they really are lovely & the 3D effect is excellent, a big thank you to the developers & artists.

The music is not intrusive, the voice-overs are fine & the story is interesting. I did not have to use the walkthrough except to find out how to use the hint system which was pretty odd but once you get used to it is helpful & no waiting for a recharge.

The mini games have a skip option if you get stuck although during the demo but I did not find them too difficult.

A few of the ghostly apparitions made me jump which is a first for me . Am looking forward to playing the full game, some gamers have said they found the game too short but I have enjoyed taking my time & admiring the artwork so I have not even got a quarter of the way through during the game.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 4:18:57 PM PST

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Jan 21, 11 4:22 PM
This game is different from any other I have played, that's for sure! The graphics are lovely, the atmosphere is great... I'm just not sure I like it, if that makes sense....

It's weird not having an inventory but I love the way that the objectives are in the mirrors, guiding you to the next step. The hints system seems unlimited and the puzzles aren't too hard... yet, the movement makes me feel sick and that's a definite problem for me

I love the spooky setting and storyline, and the gorgeous graphics, the navigation doesn't agree with my stomach! I have played for 30 mins so far and definitely want to finish the demo because I think this is an unusual game. Maybe I'll get used to the sweeping from area to area, and stop being so seasick!

Go to: