catmartie
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Death at Fairing Point: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by catmartie on Feb 8, 11 1:42 PM
cll1950 wrote:Partial quote from CE review by portia60 on Jan 14, 11

"I enjoyed this game quite a lot for the first two-thirds or so, but then found it rather a chore to make myself plow through to the end, as the challenges became repetitive and the storyline faded. The graphics are lovely and bright and clear, something my aging eyes very much appreciate. The storyline is generally well-done but lost energy in the later chapters. Play follows in a logical way. The puzzles, though, are very easy and started to feel like filler after awhile. The dialog also pretty much tells you what to do step-by-step. . Grade: B-. . "

The part I cut is about the CE.

I seem to be one of 2 people in the universe that didn't think this was "The best game ever". Like portia60, I did enjoy much of the game but it then became very repetitive and almost tedious where puzzles and chores were concerned. I didn’t so much feel the puzzles were too easy, as I don’t mind easy, if the storyline continues to hold my interest, which I seemed to start losing about the time I got the housekeeper’s list of chores.

There are many games I have Loved but I feel this one kind of lost it's "magic" for me toward the last third of the game and I started playing more just so I could finish.

I am however glad that so many of my fellow fishies enjoyed it so much.

I liked it well enough to buy it and play it through to the end - which is itself more satisfactory than many games. However I do agree that it was rather running out of steam towards the end. I felt that the developers were getting careless, there was a lot in the art work for the scenes which got really rubbishy, particularly in so-called "France". The old-fashioned British telephone box was perhaps the most glaring example, you don't see too many of these around the UK these days and they certainly never appeared in France. That just struck me as a sloppy, "can't be bothered with this any longer" attitude which spoiled things for me a bit. Why would a French cafe, in France, bother putting on its sign that it was "authentique"? They keep telling you the date all this was happening was around the 1870s but the male characters in particular seem to date from a 100 years earlier.
Sorry if this sounds picky, but playing is like walking with a bit of grit in your shoe when the developers are so careless with detail.

camgold
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Death at Fairing Point: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by camgold on Feb 8, 11 4:51 PM
I loved this game, it was long enough so you didn't feel jipped, puzzles were just right for me and didn't have to skip only one (frustration set in). Story line and graphics were very good. It was refreshing to play a good one for a change and I spread it out over a few days, most of them are really short and only take an hour or two to finish. I will play this game several times and enjoy it each time and work at accomplishing all the puzzles. Thanks BFG.

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Feb 8, 11 8:21 PM
Enjoyed this immensely and look forward to a sequel! There were very few straight HOG scenes wherein you find a large list of different items (maybe 5 altogether?); this was more of an adventure wherein you find and use items to help you along the way. A lot of places contained "parts" of objects that you had to pick up and then assemble (mostly letters, drawings & photos). The puzzles were logical and not too difficult. I did not have to skip any but the very last one in which you had to put the lion heads in order using a certain logic. (Maybe I'll check the walkthrough to see what that logic was!)

Great storyline: a modern day writer is visited and assisted by ghosts, who help her solve a romantic murder mystery. As the ghosts reveal more and more clues, you really have little idea of how it will end until it does! The graphics are outstanding, the voices well done and the music unobtrusive and appropriate. I liked that it told you how long you took at the end (me: 4 hours, 16 minutes). Thanks for a great game, BFG!

Edited on 02/08/2011 at 8:30:11 PM PST

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Feb 11, 11 6:36 PM
Not much more I can say here that hasn't been said. I just finished the game and did enjoy it. It is more of finding these to complete puzzles than a HOG. I think there were only 3 or 4 actual Hidden Object scenes. The puzzles were not hard at all and enjoyable. The graphics were pleasant as was the story. I wish we had the story to go back to read like they did in The Stroke of Midnight.

Flinker
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Flinker on Feb 12, 11 8:50 PM
I loved this game and am looking forward to the sequel. I loved the story line and that it wasn't so typical. It was refreshing and a parting from the typical haunted mansion theme that pervades so many games these days.

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Feb 14, 11 1:27 PM
What a great game! The storyline and graphics were excellent and, as I prefer mini-games to long lists of hidden objects, this game had a good variety of them. More please!

Edited on 02/14/2011 at 1:31:38 PM PST

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Feb 15, 11 9:21 PM
Oh my gosh! One of my favorite games so far! I didn't want it to end! BEAUTIFUL graphics, great story, the puzzles were perfect. PLEASE Big Fish! More like this!!!!

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Feb 15, 11 9:29 PM
Tazania wrote:[/b]Hi Gamers, I loved this game. Does anyone have any suggestion on a similar game that I could try. Would love to get input. Thanks!!

Hi Tanzania....have you tried the Dream Chronicles games? They are very similar.

jazzl2010
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by jazzl2010 on Feb 16, 11 5:54 PM
Really liked it....

Tazania
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Tazania on Feb 18, 11 10:02 AM
Hi Tanzania....have you tried the Dream Chronicles games? They are very similar.

Hi Seester2, no I have not tried those. I will check it out today. Thanks so much!!

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Feb 18, 11 7:25 PM
[b]good story...decent puzzles...nice graphics...some fun too

Edith9
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by Edith9 on Feb 21, 11 1:17 PM
Very good game, it´s not typical HOG (just 3 or 4 HOG scenes in whole game), but I didn´t mind that. There are many interesting puzzles (not too difficult - I used hint just twice), nice graphic and catching story. Game time is not long (around 4.5 hours), but it I enjoyed every minutes .

[Post New]by nitro89506 on Feb 24, 11 1:36 PM
What a GREAT Game, ready for another one. Didn't think I was going to like this one,boy, was I wrong! I'm giving it a five felix rating..(five star)

[Post New]by Windchimesgal on Apr 3, 11 4:05 PM
I purchased this game as a special. Now, in the second chapter, I can't get the bartender to take his glasses and the 10 shot glasses won't be placed in tjheir cabinet. The walkthrough says what I am I doing is right, but the game or cusor seem to feel otherwise. Any suggestions?

Windchimesgal

zandarn
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by zandarn on May 28, 11 9:53 AM
EXCELLENT GAME! I was SO happy to play a game that was stock full of mini-puzzles and games instead of HOG HOG HOG. I was so disappointed that when it was done. If anyone knows similar games to this that are puzzle and mini games and not primilary HOG, please let me know. Highly recommended.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Jun 2, 11 8:57 AM
Good game, enjoyed it very much. As far as the story goes- same old, but not complaining.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 21, 11 11:58 AM
Excellent game. Engaging story line, great graphics, varied puzzles. Finding objects seems to always be linked to the story and location. A definite to-buy for me.

Also, unlike some other similar games, the journal is very helpful.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Jun 28, 11 10:55 PM
Nice, relaxing game with a wide variety of easy, but fun puzzles and not that many hidden object scenes (which I liked). It's a ghost story, but not spooky in any way as it's mostly a love story. It's a mellow game, which I was in the mood for. The high quality graphics and calming music contributed to the atmosphere.

Not sure if I would get a sequel though, as I do prefer the spooky, funny or challenging stuff most of the time.

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jul 3, 11 4:08 AM
After playing through the full version, I have to say that it was as good as the demo made it seem it would be. My only complaint is that I really didn't like the voice used for the author. She didn't match the text and the type of person she came across as when she wasn't talking. She was too brash and.. I don't know. Just not right. The music was lovely, and it'd be a shame to turn off volume for that, but I did rush through the voice narrated scenes so as not to completely ruin the feel of the story.

Edited on 07/03/2011 at 4:21:17 AM PST

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 12, 11 5:57 AM
Game Ratings:

Graphics – 4.5 stars
Story – 4.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3.5 stars
Gameplay – 4.5 stars
Overall – 4.25 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

Go to: