Starchild6
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Virtual Villagers: New Believers

[Post New]by Starchild6 on Oct 27, 11 12:47 PM
I enjoyed this game, it is one of the best in the series. However, I am really disappointed because I will not be able to finish it. It has, in my opinion, a fatal flaw. I like figuring out how to solve the puzzles. It takes some thinking for sure. For example, you find 3 tubs of dye, and have to figure out what to do with them, where to use them. I know a lot of people just go to the walkthru, which would indeed make this game very boring. Much more interesting to figure it out on your own.

Then I realized that I was not going to be able to complete the game and convert all the orange and red heathens without the final two spells. I have just short of 700 energy points, and the last spell takes 800. There is no way I can get any more points, my population is maxed, unless I complete both collections. I have two items missing from each. I enjoy the game, but I have completed all the puzzles and have 90 little people running around. I cannot spend hours and hours watching the screen in case those four random items appear. Some people are lucky and find all the pieces. In all the VV games, I have never completed every collection. So unless you are lucky and find them all, or have a ton of time to just hunt around and around for hours, the only way I could have won is to have saved all the blue heathens till my population maxed out, and then converted them. It is depressing!

TiffanyRenoir
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by TiffanyRenoir on Nov 15, 11 4:25 PM
So far, I am not crazy about it. I played the demo, then bought the game thinking I would enjoy the challenge. Now I'm not so sure. There is very little they can do without being run off by the guards, and I'm afraid they are gonna starve cause they can't use the noni bushes, and every time a kid picks up a mushroom one of the guards scares him. The tutorial said to teach a villager how to research, but it didn't say how to get past the scary guard in the lab.
I have played and enjoyed every other VV game, but the verdict is still out on this one. For sure though, I regret spending my money on this game.
Kudos and happy gaming to every one who is enjoying this game! Who know, I might join your ranks eventually.

TiffanyRenoir
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by TiffanyRenoir on Nov 21, 11 9:22 PM
ElizabethR1533 wrote:
kilbride wrote:not for beginners to virtual villagers not much for tutorial or help played demo
will most likely buy as have played all others
but first impression was made for fans
if was not familiar with vv would have been lost

Yes, and I was!

mendolyn wrote:was all excited to play this as i have loved the virtual villagers games in the past...that was until i read this in the description: "Use your incredible God Powers to impress the New Believers".

doesn't sound like my cup of tea after all unfortunately but to everyone else happy gaming

I felt the same until realizing that "I" am the "Guiding Hand"! lol So "my" villagers are just trying to tell the "heathens" that there is someone using a mouse to move them around, LOL!

[Post New]by tracy123456789 on Apr 5, 12 8:07 AM
my first impression was litrally OMG WHAT DO I DO so i wrote to bfg and got some tips from another vv game and came across this one i brought the game but just couldnt understand again the tuturial was not good didnt know where things were but i also just couldnt come out the game but found some helpfull people with good tips i love the god powers and stuff and the thought of converting others i thought was weired but cunning i actually loved it and cant keep off it the only thing is it takes so long to wait for tech points i wonder what to do in mean time too slow wish they would hurry up more and they walk so slow kinda frustrating but i am having fun i coul kill the rascal and i cant wait to convert him send him to a life of hard work and hard labour for inoying me

[Post New]by pinkjaguar12 on Apr 7, 12 6:38 PM
Well, I played the demo, and I saw this bigger side to the game. I wrote this letter to LDW but never sent it (or truly wanted to). I wanted to know what you guys thought.
Good day, LDW staff. I am writing to you with concerns about your recent game release, Virtual Villagers: New Believers. I love all of your Virtual Villagers games and I play them often. The storylines are always intriguing, and the fact that the player gets to create life on a deserted island is always fun! However, your newest game has succeeded in, not entertaining me, but offending me and most likely other people.
New Believers is based off of the premise of several villagers wandering into another village of, and I quote, "heathens" and proceeding to try and convert them to a religion in which the player, acting as a God-like figure, is the ruling deity. In this way, the player can control the "unmasked heathens" and help them through life. The game concept is an interesting one, I must say. However, I fear it is produced in an over-the-top manner.
I am an Atheist, but I was raised in a family of Christians. I understand different religions, and I have respect for all of them. My main complaint about your game is that it does not display this respect for other religions that I have just mentioned. For example, your main goal, as I have said, in the game is for your villagers, the ones who believe in you, to convert other villagers into believing in you as well. These "heathens", when converted, take off the colorful masks they wear and are able to be controlled by the player. This act in itself is offensive. What of the heathens' own religion? Does it have one? Are they Atheists, such as myself? The game never specifies this. The player only spreads it own religion.
I have been reading much in my school about Imperialism, and how countries took over other countries and converted the natives to their religion, without a second thought to the natives' prior religion. The game shows a peaceful way of conversion, in contrast to the cruel ways of some explorers, such as Cortez, but the act of conversion is still the same.
*continued next post*

[Post New]by pinkjaguar12 on Apr 7, 12 6:45 PM
I understand the concept of the game, and I understand how you would want to make it fun. But think about who exactly plays this game. The players could include young children. Children who play this game should not be exposed to an element titled "evangelism", which the player wants to have as much of as possible. It is a sad thing to be teaching today's children. Respect of religion is key, not trying to convert everyone to one religion just so you can help feed them. That is not how society works.

The game is already released, and I know you cannot make any changes to it or take it off the market. I am not asking for LDW to take any action. I am merely trying to get the company to think about what exactly this game is teaching kids and showing adults.

Thank you for your time. Have a nice day.

[Post New]by Phillybird on Apr 28, 12 1:46 PM
Really have enjoyed it so far. I wish someone would step up to those beautiful drums in the science lab and play us a tune. That could be worth a few energy points! Also wish the pools had some heat waves like a hot spring. Also needs a shelter for "getting out of the rain" even if a little palm tree. If I am their leader, I would plant one and help it grow!

Edited on 05/27/2013 at 3:57:37 PM PST

[Post New]by Phillybird on Apr 28, 12 3:02 PM
Actually, Pinkjaquar12, this is exactly how our society works. The truth doesn't necessarily mean God stuff. The heathen in this game put on masks because of the 'bad thing' (their words) their Chief did. The "truth" being told to them can simply be that they don't have to wear a mask. The rejoiceing can be for the freedom of giving up the mask and joining a life free of it. If you have kids or know a family whose kids are straying, we all try to help them (given the chance),back into the fold of their family to save them from a bad or wasted life of suffering. We are a society who cares. Alot of us wear masks sometimes. They are suffocating, life limiting, and we want to be free of them but can be afraid to take them off. They come in many forms also.
As for the word 'heathen', it can mean irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized. No connection to a God, not even irreligious because we can be 'religious' about alot of stuff, like brushing our teeth, going to bed at 10pm, taking food to grandma, donating to the orphanage, even collecting beanie babies. The antonym (opposite) of heathen is sophistocated, urban, cultured... no "God" here.
I ,for one, enjoy the concept of a God for once if I chose to. It is what you make it I guess! Just a few facts and one young womans thoughts. Thanks.

Edited on 05/27/2013 at 4:04:19 PM PST

[Post New]by us10221999 on Jul 18, 12 3:10 PM
So glad I tried the game first. I could not figure out how to even begin. The tutorial was not helpful at all and I got bored before I could get anything accomplished.

Rosebud217
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by Rosebud217 on Aug 24, 12 11:58 PM
I've enjoyed all the virtual villagers games, but believe this one has no outcome. Removing the Heathens was a task in itself, especially, Rascal. But where was the point of the game? Nothing told me I was finished, or had won!!! A cabbage patch? Very dissappointing!!!

[Post New]by satindoll77054 on Jan 28, 13 7:23 AM
This was by far the best. I remember purchasing one years ago that had an extra puzzle. It had a pregnant heathen. You had to have 2 pregnant believers to get her to listen to the pregnant women and become a believer. That was the end of the game. I lost that version. It was a Real Arcade game. When **** took over, I lost most of my Real Arcade Games. I think that was one of them. I really like this version of Virtual Villagers. I have them all. This is the only one that I play over and over.

Go to: