jr449
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Re:Should be charged 1/2 price for 1/2 of a game!

[Post New]by jr449 on Feb 20, 11 12:50 AM
micvav wrote:I don't mind a cliffhanger but... that information should have been clearly labeled on the web page for the game. Otherwise you have engaged in false advertising. I don't want a refund on this game--I want the whole game.

I agree with you regarding the information should have been clearly stated upfront!

[Post New]by stickyfingers69 on Feb 20, 11 1:23 AM
I can agree with both sides of the argument in this case, the game was very enjoyable for what there was of it. There is no indication anywhere that this is only 'half' a game. As this was a collectors edition, it does appear to be something of a con not stating this up front.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Feb 20, 11 1:24 AM
Please lets not criticize anyone for voicing a complaint or not. This forum is normally free of that, its why I love it so much. FISH are friends not food! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to voice it here within TOS rules. There is no need to pick on anyone. A lot of people are coming here upset or confused. I am as I just finished it and was shocked. So to all.

I HATE spoilers. Lately there has been more in the review threads. I'm reading and then BAM, there is the ending in a short post without warning. It ruins a game for me! This is always a new fish, kids, not forum savvy etc so I'm not blaming them. I just think they should be removed by Mods. So now I scan reviews then don't come back until I am done, so I had no idea as I bought this as TGT.

I love True Blood and Charlaine Harris so I knew I'd love this game(I did)it was a must buy. I agree, they got greedy.TB and CH is hot now, they knew people would buy it just by a title with her name in it alone. I too would have waited and gladly bought all the games (be it 2 or more) at once. I feel that is NOT why people are upset.

Do I expect anything free? No. Do I blame BFG? NO. I got it on a free PC and 6,99 is still cheap. BUT I DO blame the Devs and think it was sneaky, greedy, wrong and half a game! I shouldn't even be surprised, they drag TB out too with hair pulling "Nooo!!" cliffhangers to keep cable subscribers. But, I KNOW they will be there! This game had NO warning! Having chapters with a "to be continued" at the end of each one, then seeing the poster, you are mislead to think the game will end after finding the last Circus Member & recipe! Then Dahlia can get into another dilemma.Thats classic CH style. By the title (again) you are mislead to believe this game is the full story of the potion then maybe we'll get another plot/game with Dahlia in it. NOT the SAME mission/stories other half!

I have played many games with sequels. You play all of a story/mystery, solve it, have another story/mystery start and THEN get a to be continued. That is fair, I love to see that and always buy the next one. THIS is not. I'm a slowpoke too but this was the quickest game I ever played and yes it is HALF a game. CH should be ashamed to have her name on something so sneaky and falsely advertised.I never have played a game that stopped in the middle. That is why everyone is upset, no other series HOG has done so like this!!

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Feb 20, 11 11:38 AM
I wasn't going to post in this thread as I saw most of the pros and cons had already been discussed. However today I went back and played an old game that I had not completed. Soon remembered why. There was s series of rooms where you played HOG scenes, then found a box, then a key, then did a find the difference scene, then a flip the tiles puzzles. This unlocked the next set of rooms where you repeated the same steps as before. It was a looooong game with lots of rooms. I realized I much preferred a short game that was fun, humorous and interesting.

Actually I didn't consider this game any shorter than most IHOGS I played lately. The to be continued didn't concern me. Life's too short to be bothered by such small issues. I had fun during the time I spent with the game and am looking forward to the next installment.

Edited on 02/20/2011 at 11:39:24 AM PST

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Feb 20, 11 11:42 AM
stickyfingers69 wrote:I can agree with both sides of the argument in this case, the game was very enjoyable for what there was of it. There is no indication anywhere that this is only 'half' a game. As this was a collectors edition, it does appear to be something of a con not stating this up front.

I believe you are mistaken about this being a Collector's Edition. Game is priced at $6.99.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 20, 11 12:31 PM
I agree completely with those who are saying that the game should have been clearly labeled as Chapter 1 which is how it was labeled on another site.

I guess that is the reason that I am not outraged by this. When I bought this game, I knew it was the first part of a 2 part game series because I had researched it on another site. Sorry to those who were stuck with -- "what the ???" at the ending. I probably would have felt the same way had I not known beforehand that it was only the first chapter.

Bigfish usually has a good policy of refunding a game credit for games you are not happy with.

[Post New]by Serf2CavSpaniel on Feb 20, 11 12:38 PM
I, for one, was overjoyed to see a high quality game that I could actually spend a punchcard credit on! This was even after trawling the forum and seeing that it was Part I of a two part serial.
Now, I'm one of those folks who lovingly dawdles over my games, so at about 5.5 hours play, felt like I got MORE than my moneys worth. Y'know, what fun is it if you're going to rush through a title like you're trying to escape a burning building? Well, differn't strokes, I spoze...
Can't wait for the sequel to see what that smart-mouthed vamp Dahlia will be up to next! I just hope Part Deux will also be priced as an SE just like this one. *hint-hint!*

[Post New]by rebfowler on Feb 20, 11 2:32 PM
I agree that this portion of the game was too short. Yes, it is true that many games end with cliffhangers; that's not so unusual. However, like the first couple of posters, I was disappointed to get to the end of Episode Four and fine that the game was "done." I, too, was clicking all over the menu screen, trying to figure out how to get to Episode Five.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game play that was available, which is part of the reason why I was disappointed that it ended so abruptly. Even on games that have continuations, there is usually more game play prior to the end of the installment. I've played many games through Big Fish and have never had the experience of one ending in the middle of a game like this. Even those with continuations usually come to some kind of an episodic conclusion rather than ending the middle of a "text" for which we already know the next chapters.

Many other posters are complaining about those who are complaining about the brevity of this game. I'd like to state that I'm usually very happy with the games I download from Big Fish and I am very happy with this game, too. I suppose I am, however, "complaining" about the fact that the way this one "ended" is unsatisfactory.

[Post New]by Evesparadox on Feb 20, 11 3:43 PM
I enjoy Charlaine Harris' storylines in general and this was a fun game but I am going to have to agree, in a non whiney way, that the game seemed to be over just as I was getting into it and yes I too, would have liked to have seen the game labeled part one.

I might have waited for part two to come out and play them back to back, as I did with the fall trilogys and a couple other games. I enjoy the continuity what can I say.

Other than that the graphics were beautiful, the scene music was fun, the dialogue right in there between hokey and tongue-in-cheek, just the way I like it...LOL

[Post New]by nursejaimep on Feb 21, 11 3:02 PM
ScaniX wrote:You did not buy 1/2 of a game. It is complete, just the story isn't finished yet.
Did you pay 1/3 for the cinema ticket of "Lord of the Rings"? Just because it only told 1/3 of the story?

The difference is, the LOTR trilogy was adverised as just that.... a TRILOGY. The makers and marketers of this game gave us no indication that this game was a 1 of 2. If I had known, it may have influenced my choice to buy. Was the game entertaining? Yes. Was it too short? Yes. Was it challenging? Not really. That's about where I stand. Gave it about a 6 out of 10. I would've rather purchased the full length game as a Collecter's Edition and had all of the content available for play immediately.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Feb 21, 11 3:26 PM
I too would have bought a CE for the entire story. But then others would have grouched that it was a CE.

[Post New]by micvav on Feb 22, 11 4:10 PM
I do not have a problem with buying the first half of a two part game. The problem is, is that it was not clearly marked as being part one of a two part series. This is false advertising and all efforts should be made to immediatly mark this and other merchandise correctly. I also think that in a show of good faith bigfish should offer the second half at a discount, if not free to all those who bought the first half before the corrections to the games description takes place.

[Post New]by nightingale55 on Feb 22, 11 5:13 PM
I don't agree that it ends on a cliff hanger. Many of the games that are to be continued at least let you finish the storyline you are working and then develop a new one for the next version. I agree with the original poster. I paid for a game...and only got half of one. I promise I won't be paying again to finish this one. Seldom am I unhappy with my purchases here...but this is outright dishonest.

[Post New]by escalon on Feb 22, 11 6:37 PM
(removed by moderator)

Edited on 03/07/2011 at 11:31:05 AM PST

[Post New]by Shapeshifter2011 on Feb 22, 11 8:09 PM
escalon wrote:(removed by moderator)

Where is that stated?

Edited on 03/07/2011 at 11:31:25 AM PST

[Post New]by Shapeshifter2011 on Feb 22, 11 8:12 PM
Linde36 wrote:I would have preferred to pay "Collector's Edition" price for the full game.
In 4 yrs of being a customer, I've never played a game that simply STOPS halfway through after 4 of 8 episodes WITHOUT ANY WARNING!

BF didn't design the game but they could at least have WARNED us in the title or somewhere in the notes...instead of having us clicking all over the site trying to figure out how to start episode 5...only to run to the forums and discover that there is no episode 5!!

Who knows how long it will take for Part II to come out. As much as I enjoyed this stellar game, I will NOT support this marketing gimmick by purchasing another 1/2 game at full price.

After reading all the posts here I too have been playing games for a very long time. Take the Witch's Prison for instance. That game is complete and I'm still not finished with it. You get your money's worth. If however, all you do is upload the second half when it's complete and don't have to pay anything else, then fine but even that was a bad business move imo. They should have just taken the time to complete the whole thing before releasing it. There are even typo's in the game. Anyone else notice them?

Edited on 02/22/2011 at 8:14:21 PM PST

[Post New]by Shapeshifter2011 on Feb 22, 11 8:20 PM
As for the ones that said this was only the first installment that cannot be close to the truth.
This game told you in the beginning that you needed to locate every single person on that poster. The circus people.
Then, you needed to get their separate pieces of the sun potion recipe. All of that should have been completed by games end.
Sorry.
By the bloody time they come out with a "part two" I'll have forgotten it already. It will also never happen if I'm expected to pay more.
When you separate a game into installments, like a few people here said, you state that upfront so there's no surprises.
Then, you don't leave a recipe hanging in the air. You don't "NOT" locate 4 of the circus people. It's an abrupt stop.
Badly thought out.

[Post New]by tzangtzi on Feb 22, 11 11:22 PM
Couldn't believe that abrupt stop. I can't say end because it didn't. It was not a cliffhanger it was simply unfinished. I agree we should have been warned with "Dying for Daylight Part 1 of 2 or part 1 of 3." I should not have to search the forums to find out that the game was in 2 or 3 parts (this seems unsure). It should have been stated up front.

nocturnadawn
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nocturnadawn on Feb 23, 11 4:56 AM
It's probably all been said here, but I am tossing my two cents worth in anyway.
I finished the game and felt very cheated as well, Sure, some games have a to be continued or leave you with a cliffhanger and room for a sequel...BUT those games have a story line that gets completed in them. You find what you spent the game looking for, but the bad guy got away...etc...there is some closure. This game just litterally stops half way through. No finished plot, nothing,just bam it's over. It seems to me like they just wanted to lure us in with a good game knowing full well most of us will buy the next half. Just a money gimmick.

nocturnadawn
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nocturnadawn on Feb 23, 11 5:01 AM
escalon wrote:(removed by moderator)

Um, no...that would still be illegal. Even if WE feel we have already paid for the whole game, the makers obviously want to charge us more, so downloading the second half on torrent or any other peer to peer site is just setting you up to get fined or the loss of your internet. DON'T LISTEN TO THAT PERSON!

Edited on 03/07/2011 at 11:31:54 AM PST

Go to: