bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Serpent of Isis:Your Journey Continues

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Feb 26, 11 10:50 PM
I know there's a thread somewhere with explanations of all the shorthand, but I'm not sure where it is. Occasionally someone will bring it up in chit-chat corner.

I can list some of the ones I know, and I noticed an entry of definitions for some of the other terms (like piglet, etc.) on the first page of this thread.

Some commonly used ones:

LOL: laugh out loud
Rofl (rolling on floor laughing)
LMAO laughing my **** off
DH, DS, DD: dear husband, dear son, dear daughter
IMO/IMHO in my opinion, in my humble opinion
ETA: post edited

There are so many others, but I don't know how to list them all from the top of my head. This list is of common terms seen in forums in general, not just game forums. (Except for the DH etc., which i haven't seen elsewhere.)

I hope this helps.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Feb 26, 11 11:34 PM
I LOVED the first game and went ahead and used a credit to get the second one without even trying it out first.

After a couple of hours into the sequel, I decided to go back and re-play the first one as my memory about the first game has failed to return to me.

After two hours in; however, I can say that I am happy with the second game. As other have mentioned, the main character does look a bit scarier (downright psychotic at times) than he did in the first game, but I can live with this.

The graphics are fantastic even on my wide-screen (thanks devs!) and like that I can turn the tutorial off. I wish every game had that option.

So far I like the story-line, the hidden object scenes are crisp and the puzzles to solve are intuitive. The main character does talk a lot. I know that is annoying to some but for me, the dialogue adds to the story so I like that they have added in that feature.

For fans of the first one, I don't think you will be disappointed with the sequel. I had been waiting so long I had actually given up hope of there being a second one so this was a nice surprise AND it's a great game at regular price! Yay!

Enjoy fishies-I have several hours of gaming ahead of me as I replay the first one and then finish the sequel that I started.

lovetoocraft
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

game has wonderful possibilities

[Post New]by lovetoocraft on Feb 27, 11 12:05 AM
When the game first started, I thought I was going to enjoy playing. Loved the HOG scenes! The dialogue however, totally spoiled the game for me. Way to much dialogue popping up and getting in the way. Was so irritating I only played about 30 minutes of the demo and uninstalled...drove me crazy.

The problem for me was having to double click because of the pop ups. I click to get rid of the dialogue and then click again on whatever I needed to interact with. Click again to get rid of dialogue and click again to interact with the game...and on and on and on. If you click on the wrong item, then you have to click on that dialogue also

This would be a wonderful game if there was a way to get rid of all the pop up dialogue...eerrrrrr

Edited on 02/27/2011 at 12:11:29 AM PST

shanyem
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shanyem on Feb 27, 11 12:43 AM
Definitely a buy for me...or should I say one punch will be used for this game! I enjoyed the first in the series and the demo of this one - both offer all the things I like!

crabbycat
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by crabbycat on Feb 27, 11 12:52 AM
Welcome AirCoco...don't give up on reading the forums. I don't post much, but do read them faithfully. I don't always agree with the regular posters, but appreciate that they take the time for thorough reviews. I still get confused by some of the abbreviations,too. Like FRAGs or FROGS....but to retaliate I have made up one of my own....TMWA....too much wandering around..There have been some games that I have applied this to, in my own notes that I keep on each game. Anyway...so far I like this game OK. I do agree that Robert is a little weird.. such a big head, poor guy!!! Don't know if I will buy, but will at least put it down as a maybe. Thanks BF!!

trish999
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by trish999 on Feb 27, 11 1:04 AM
I really enjoyed this game. It took me approx 7 hours to play, but I skipped 2 mini puzzles which added 40 minutes to my time. The graphics are great and the HOG scenes are clear. In my opinion this game was way better than the FROG CE game they put out this week.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Feb 27, 11 1:44 AM
This was a really good game. I lost total track of time while playing it, totally immersed. Was disappointed when the demo ended. How come a lot of the new games are ending their demos at a certain point now? That's the only issue I had. I still had 15 mins. left to play. It seems I have run into that a lot lately. I don't think it's fair when they say you have 60 mins . to play. What up with that, Big Fish?

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Feb 27, 11 1:56 AM
Loving this game. It is a sure buy, soon as the first comes. I have filled up two punch cards with two extra punches. I would buy it now if there were a CE game I wanted. Will see what Monday brings, maybe it will be a CE I want then I can get both and fill three punch cards.

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Feb 27, 11 2:32 AM
Hi AirCoCo,
I agree with you on certain things. I learned the Abbreviations from (game site removed by moderator). The 'official' terms are helpful when reading the "real" reviews and opinions from people who have completed the games, whether long or short.
The informative reviews come in after a day or so, when people have completed a game. So I skip the first 2 pages or at least the first one. (the number of pages grow, as more reviews come in, and then I start on 5 or 6) because the first few pages are the same peeps chatting about downloading, how happy they are about a new release, posting "cutsie reviews", thanking the same peeps and the longwinded reviews on demos. If you're on dial up maybe it serves that purpose.

It's quicker to play the trial and then check what others have written after the initial postings. I've been a member years longer than the recent influx of new "reviewers" who probably have alot of free time on their hands to spend chatting with their new friends and having fun in the first few pages. It does appear like a clique, if you are new to posting; so now I wait, and don't post publicly unless it's in response to something like yours, because I once felt like an outsider, too. . Once in awhile I check in early because I don't have anything else to do and see it's still the same.

Edited on 03/09/2011 at 10:40:14 AM PST

[Post New]by md7td3 on Feb 27, 11 3:41 AM
Can you please remind me what the first game was called.
Thanks

Edited on 02/27/2011 at 4:08:55 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 27, 11 4:59 AM
AirCoco wrote:Hello to all, first time posting, long time buying,.

This whole Big Fish message board seems to be the same X number of people talking to each other especially in reviews of games. There are probably hundreds of people who regularily buy games here and even read the boards but never post. I have not becaue sometimes all this 'talking in code' and back and forth to each other really makes me feel left out of some tight little party Im not invited to.

Hello AirCoco and welcome to the Pond...

I agree with you. I too got this clique-kind of feeling quite often, especially with some of the same people posting reviews and congratulating only each other for their reviews, whereas others also supply great reviews and comments, but aren´t mentioned. That´s why I no longer post a lot of reviews here - I go someplace else for that.

And I also find it reallly not helpful when some peeps come up with new types of "ratings" that first of all they keep having to explain in each post so we all know what they mean - don´t see the point in that - but it´s already difficult enough, especially for new fishies to get the hang of all the "codes" as you call them, and the abbreviations.

I am sure there will be an outcry of "not true" from some fishies here - there always is when you give an opinion that is not shared with the masses - but so be it.

Oh... and about the game... Rather like it.

Edited on 02/27/2011 at 5:00:45 AM PST

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Feb 27, 11 5:02 AM
md7td3 wrote:Can you please remind me what the first game was called.
Thanks

The Serpent of Isis. Found in the list of games under T because of the word The at the beginning of the title.

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Feb 27, 11 5:48 AM

This whole Big Fish message board seems to be the same X number of people talking to each other especially in reviews of games. There are probably hundreds of people who regularily buy games here and even read the boards but never post. I have not becaue sometimes all this 'talking in code' and back and forth to each other really makes me feel left out of some tight little party Im not invited to. Especially with this review, terms like Ihog and piglet, etc, are being thrown around as if everyone who ever comes here knows everything and are just talking to each other. it would be so so so nice if one person just simply wrote a profession, detailed, review of each game so people dont have to read through 9 pages of banter to see what's what. a lot of times too there are games that are really not at all good or cost way too much )like all the CEs lately, if Im paying $6.99 a month for a membership why would I pay $13.99 for a game every month? this is the same $19 I can pay in stores. ). But when there are games that cost a lot I see a bunch of people more defending Big Fish and game developers and telling us all that producing games cost a lot so we should understand that. CDs and things cost a lot too. The idea is to sell the games to us, its not my problem to pay a lot of crummy games. It gets so its not objective here because y'all are just defending anything Big fish does. please remember there are people here who are just stopping by to buy or browse games . please talk plain english. stop all the 'in jokes'. thats what parivate mail is for. I hope I dont sound mean. I dont mean it to be. thank you!!!

I don't post very much, either, but really enjoy the friendly banter mixed in with great reviews by the regulars. That's what makes a "community" and, IMO, it's a fun place to visit. I wouldn't want these posters to change a thing. As for those who speak up for Big Fish when others criticize it, they do so because they like the site and appreciate the great service. The good thing is, whether you (the "general" you, not the "personal" you) like the site or not, you're free to voice your opinion here.

Enjoy the games and continue posting, Aircoco - there's room for everyone.

Edited on 02/27/2011 at 5:52:53 AM PST

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Feb 27, 11 5:55 AM

..... This whole Big Fish message board seems to be the same X number of people talking to each other especially in reviews of games. There are probably hundreds of people who regularily buy games here and even read the boards but never post. I have not becaue sometimes all this 'talking in code' and back and forth to each other really makes me feel left out of some tight little party Im not invited to..... please remember there are people here who are just stopping by to buy or browse games . please talk plain english. stop all the 'in jokes'. thats what parivate mail is for. I hope I dont sound mean. I dont mean it to be. thank you!!!

Dear AirCoco -- I first read your message about 2 hours ago, and it has been preying on my mind ever since. You seem to be a little sad and a little angry because you believe you "feel left out of some tight little party." Believe me, that is not true at all! I have been posting here less than a year, when I posted my first message, too. Everybody here has posted their first message at some time. If we seem to be talking back and forth, it's because we have gotten to know each other through common interests, personalities, etc. I, for instance, love the word games forums and post there all time. Most of the others that I see there are the same people all the time. Everyone can find a forum or ten where they feel they belong. Just read and watch and then post when you feel comfortable. You will find you way, just like all of us did. I wish you all the best.

stapyhar
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by stapyhar on Feb 27, 11 7:04 AM
GREAT GAME
I have the most enjoyable time playing this game. 3 minutes into the demo, I know I have to buy it and no looking back. Thank you so much for giving us this game. Continue the good work. Great team!!!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Feb 27, 11 8:04 AM
well, this is one for the momentary fence...

the constant dialogue that clicking doesn't seem to help and the inventory that seems to long for nothing more than to be unavailable - i could do without... do i really have to keep clicking on the briefcase? i don't care if my items appear on the top or the bottom, but why not pop up if roll over the trigger or have an arrow there? why place the items on the opposite side of the screen from the thing that opens them?? and if robert pops up one more time without something useful to say, i think i'm just gonna pop him! it wouldn't be so bad if he held his dialogue in concise and useful outbursts, but instead he seems to think he can just wander with his thoughts and spring them on me one at a time about every thirty seconds or so... just get it out!! and then get on with it...

i will say that it is obvious that the crew did an awesome job, though, the graphics and animations [for the most part ] have greatly improved and make the game a pleasure to play... the hidden object scenes and mini-games are well put together so that when you need something, chances are you just picked it up and everything is pretty much self-explanatory... you get a shovel, you know you're gonna have to dig somewhere... in that way, the game is highly linear, but it's still up to you to get the brain working in the meantime

i really enjoyed the first installment, but as i said before, i'm a little on the fence with this one... disregarding the issues with game mechanics, it would be a shoe in! instead, it's more "let me think about this awhile" and maybe i'll add you to the pile...

happy journeying!

[Post New]by bedmond7 on Feb 27, 11 8:22 AM
I am lost early. Where do I find the coin for the gum machine

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 27, 11 8:37 AM
bedmond7 wrote:I am lost early. Where do I find the coin for the gum machine

Hi there Bedmond7...

You will find it outside on the ground. Can´t now quite remember whether it was outside in the streets of the city building or in the front garden of the grandfather´s house. But it´s not in a H0 scene.

Good luck.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Feb 27, 11 12:23 PM
I am happy they have come out with sequel to this game. Serpent of Isis was one the first games I bought. The walkthrough has been helpful. I will probably play this game several times as I did on the first one.

[Post New]by ldarnell1971 on Feb 27, 11 1:21 PM
I loved the first game in this series. I loved it so much I played it about 3 times. I usually only play games once, because you pretty much know where everything is. I loved this one but the 1st one was a lot better. Hope there are more to come in this series. Whomever the creator is, it is a great game!!

Go to: