mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 3, 11 8:51 AM
peglegann wrote:
mhatfie wrote:
kinget wrote:I'm downloading and can't wait. I loved the first two when they came out, but that was then and this is now. I still like the first one, but the one on the ship was incredibly slow and boring. Glad to hear this one has caught up with the HOG times.
A porte-cochere is a wooden or stone cover extending out from a doorway for a carriage (or automobile) - I guess the ancestor of the carport, but much smaller. On old English buildings they are often quite ornate. They keep you out of the weather when you're getting into and out of your car so you don't mess up your aristocratic clothing. A porte-manteau is a coatrack or hatrack, literally a holder for a cloak.

OK you're right, you get the A++ instead of Ann. Sorry Ann.

Hey! No fair mhatfie! I was not around to answer, (too busy scoffing LOL!)
Anyway, what kinget said

Sorry Ann, you snooze, you lose. However its your Birthday so all is ok. Happy Birthday Ann.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shagwendy on Mar 3, 11 8:52 AM
kinget wrote:I'm downloading and can't wait. I loved the first two when they came out, but that was then and this is now. I still like the first one, but the one on the ship was incredibly slow and boring. Glad to hear this one has caught up with the HOG times.
A porte-cochere is a wooden or stone cover extending out from a doorway for a carriage (or automobile) - I guess the ancestor of the carport, but much smaller. On old English buildings they are often quite ornate. They keep you out of the weather when you're getting into and out of your car so you don't mess up your aristocratic clothing. A porte-manteau is a coatrack or hatrack, literally a holder for a cloak.
I always knew porte meant 'door' in a lot of languages, and I was thinking 'hat' for cochere and I thought manteau might refer to a scarf or cape, so I was pretty close, but couldn't figure out what clothing would have to do with doors, but it does all make sense now, the cochere being a covering over the top of something, the other hanging your cape at the doorway. I just love words.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 3, 11 9:02 AM
Okay, I purchsaed the other Margrave games and loved them. This one is quite different. The card thing is not as easy as you may think, but I was able to figure it out. Just takes a little time to put them in the correct order. Didn't like the voice overs, so turned that off. Voices were a little too "British." Couldn't get past how they pronounced "inventory." Not a lot of jumping around, which I like. Grahics were a little cartoony compared to the other Margraves, but they were nice. Some items a bit hard to find, but makes you work a little harder. Nice SG..only had to look at it once. I will definitely purchase this one as well, but we really need some "regular" priced HOG for a while. We have been getting way too many CE games lately. I buy the CE's mostly because they are more involved, last longer and have better graphics, but I have purchased the same quality in a regular game as well. What happened to those?

As always, thanks for the reviews.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Mar 3, 11 10:05 AM
Absolutely beautiful game. I didn't buy the first 2. Will definitely buy this one but not as a CE. What's the point? I may get my free game, but I'm not using those coupons too frequently and they do run out. I think the punchcard points may be backfiring for people like me who are limited in the type of games they enjoy. I'd also be interested in the length, though as I said, this game is visually a feast for the eyes.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Mar 3, 11 10:13 AM
I bought this game because I thought it looked like it would be fun to play BUT, again the hidden objects are sooo small and the walkthrough is really confusing. I keep getting lost because it says, go here and then go wayyy over to an area you were just at a short time ago but because you've made so many twists and turns, now you're lost. I had to stop playing it for awhile to give my eyes and my frustration a rest. Other than all the things I mentioned, I guess it could be a good game for some.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Mar 3, 11 10:24 AM
After seeing this game up today, I got excited...after reading the reviews...even more so. I downloaded it and grinned from ear to ear. Been happily lost in that world ever since and it has been hours. And lost I am, I don't even care that I'm in the wrong place, playing the wrong hog section...it's just fun.
The graphics and very well done, a wee bit of squinting is needed to find somethings but the hint system is a friendly one...no slaps on the wrist that 'I've found yet.
The story is interesting enough to make you want to figure out the mystery...I'm not at the end so I hope it doen't let me down. (don't tell me the end, please)
With the exception of the wee voices in the beginning that yu have to feed and release, the voices were lovely. I'm from Maine, what do I know about English accents...but these are not too hoiyty-toity if you know what I mean...as some game s are. Those voices you want to B. Slap. ...Hope I didn't get the moterator mad there./
In general, a great game..I've been at it for 4 + hours now so the length seems to be hanging in there. HOpe for more.
Kris

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 3, 11 11:00 AM
A great ihog/adventure game! I have also played both previous games and this one is much, much, much better in every ways: much better graphics, much better gameplay. Everything is better! I don`t buy every CE but I like this so much (the gameplay and storyline), so ITS A BUY

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart Collector's E

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 3, 11 11:54 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:
mhatfie wrote:
peglegann wrote:
mhatfie wrote:

OK you're right, you get the A++ instead of Ann. Sorry Ann.

Hey! No fair mhatfie! I was not around to answer, (too busy scoffing LOL!)
Anyway, what kinget said

Sorry Ann, you snooze, you lose. However its your Birthday so all is ok. Happy Birthday Ann.

Thanks for the heads up about the portcullis Ann.
And just to show we still love our English and French history and style, the White House has a porte-cochere and it is referred to as such. LOL

Thanks goofy. French always adds a little bit of "je ne sais quoi". to things. Sounds so much better than carport.

Edited on 03/03/2011 at 11:55:28 AM PST

lorialcorn2006
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by lorialcorn2006 on Mar 3, 11 12:01 PM
Martyheinz wrote:Would like to ask a favor of some kind fishie. Please PM me with comments about this game. I have the first two Margrave Manor games and I find them terribly tedious. I an debating whether or not to even demo this game. Hate to take the time if many others find it tedious also. Would appreciate someone commenting that also found the first two boring and see how this compares. Thanks for your time.

Marty

Me too I found the first to to be very boring and not much fun only ever played the first 2 once and got rid of them I would love to know if this one is better but in any case I have to wait for the SE to come out as I'm still waiting for the other game I want to be put to SE and its been a month .

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 3, 11 12:09 PM
I played the previous Margrave series and like this one better. I have found it to be fun and HOG's are not too hard to find. Puzzles are ok too. I like that you can use the stragedy guide in the trial version. Don't know about a CE price or not, still have a couple of others I am trying to decide on. Most of the games that are worth the price are now CE's and you just have to be patient and wait for the SE's to be released. Good game...

Edited on 03/03/2011 at 12:10:52 PM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Mar 3, 11 12:09 PM
Wolfenraindancer, I do that too. Heres something else I do and wander if anyone else does. When items are rather obscure do you just look at the scene and pick a starting point and span and click, especially if there are no click penalties. Look at the list after you finish, and look for the rest of the items. You would be surprised how many items you find. Kind of cracy, HUH. After that Its HINT BUTTON time.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Mar 3, 11 12:23 PM
It is really difficult to compare this one to the first of the series. The first one I believe was mainly just a HOG. Although I enjoyed it at the time I would find it very boring now. I did not play the second one at all (heard it was awful and short). I did the demo for this one and will probably buy it. I don't think it is even necessary to play the other two. You get a pretty good idea of the storyline in the first few minutes.

maddee51
Clownfish
Clownfish
689 Posts

[Post New]by maddee51 on Mar 3, 11 12:30 PM
I tested this game and have been awaiting it's release wooohooo!!! I love this game the graphics; the storyline and the whole concept of this game is just so awesome. So another CE to my collection that's 3 games I'll be buying this month

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 3, 11 1:03 PM
dootney wrote:Wolfenraindancer, I do that too. Heres something else I do and wander if anyone else does. When items are rather obscure do you just look at the scene and pick a starting point and span and click, especially if there are no click penalties. Look at the list after you finish, and look for the rest of the items. You would be surprised how many items you find. Kind of cracy, HUH. After that Its HINT BUTTON time.

i do this also....

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Mar 3, 11 1:43 PM
Thanks to all for the great reviews and comments, sometimes reading here is as enjoyable as playing the games . This game is a buy for me. My only complaint is it is a little slow to load, and that may just be me. All else I am enjoying immensely. Sound, graphics, especially the hint thingy and it's even cute what the cursor does if you click too fast.(Did it deliberately and had to be realllly fast) Doesn't last as long as in some games, but there is no "penalty" for clicking(at least the cursor doesn't go flying all over the screen) just sits and sort of "vegetates" lol! And I don't have any problem with it being another CE. I remember(sometime ago and on another site) when ALL games were $19.99 or more and if one didn't work you were probably stuck with it. Thanks for all the sales, the great games and greater prices. Happy Gaming Fishies

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Mar 3, 11 1:48 PM
The grapihcs are lovely. The gameplay is IHOG with HOG and minigames. The minigames are skippable with no penalty. THe hint recharges whether you are in casual or normal mode. The storyline is magnificant! I loved the voiceovers. Our heroine is cute, perky and very determined. I loved the hour demo and it wasn't long enough!

This game is an A++.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Mar 3, 11 2:48 PM
I couldn't get into this game. Oh, the graphics are very good and I love the voices, their accents, and all, but I guess I just am drawn to more realistic games, like mysteries and inspirational games-things that can really happen. For those of you who do like this type of game I hope you really enjoy it.

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Mar 3, 11 2:51 PM
Don't know why but 5 minutes in I knew I didn't like it,glad I don't buy the CE versions !!

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Mar 3, 11 2:52 PM
OOO I've just noticed with that last post I'm a squid lol

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Mar 3, 11 2:53 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:This one seems to be quite enjoyable, especially as it plays into my interest in alternative, mystical arts. It takes a bit to get used to the female protagonist putting the stress on the second syllable in "inVENTory," but no worse than other British-isms that don't sound quite right outside of England.

Folks who are sensitive about ancient belief systems, especially involving witchcraft, should probably avoid this one. I'll be getting it later this month, even though I am not a big fan of CEs anymore.

After I had already posted my reply, I saw your post and I want to thank you for mentioning about those troubled by witchcraft wanting to avoid the game. I was getting rather uncomfortable with the game the more I played. Again, thank you, darkdisciple, for pointing that out.

Go to: