steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Agency: Secrets of the Orient

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Mar 21, 11 2:14 PM
OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!! just stopped by to say i wasnt really happy with this game either! its gettin so crazy around here i am almost SICK OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! EDITED TO GET RID OF ALMOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 2:16:23 PM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 21, 11 2:17 PM
steelerlady1 wrote:OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!! just stopped by to say i wasnt really happy with this game either! its gettin so crazy around here i am almost SICK OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its ok steer, things get heated, best just to ignore,

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 21, 11 2:19 PM
I think if you like "straight-forward-hogs", this could be your game, but if you like more interactive games - like me - this is propably a "no-buy"

niya00
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by niya00 on Mar 21, 11 2:24 PM
Game looks ok but too many new **** games out at the moment to make it worth having to click thru every comment (no skip dialog) and screen formated for wide screen so scene items just too small to be comfortable! No buy for me! Really like getting so many HOG's so close together tho!!

Boomer47
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Boomer47 on Mar 21, 11 2:42 PM

What a turn off. I had a problem with the ethnic stereotyping. The game was not only boring and dated, it was insulting as well. UGH!!!

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 2:50:10 PM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 21, 11 2:51 PM
akaratcat wrote:Since when is the forum about attacking others...I thought this was for tweaking games......No wonder poodlebear rarely gives opinions on games anymore....I did not get into the game enough to see if I enjoyed it. But what I have played I have enjoyed.....I see games as games and not racial or political..........how about sticking to games and cut out the bantering....use that for the chit chat room...,.... When did Casual Gran become the moderator.....

Indeed! Poodlebear, Goofyduck, and all those who post insightful specific game reviews . Thanks for knowing what to say....what is better left unsaid. Thanks for being positive influences on the forums even while pointing out specific negative aspects of games.

Now to the game. Graphics fair but some just too tiny for these old eyes. I don't do well with fragmented objects. Too much straight HOG. Meaning no buy for me.

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Mar 21, 11 3:00 PM
All political correctness aside, this game is El-Lame-o!!!

Hack writing, stupid mini games, just plain boring!!!!

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Mar 21, 11 3:08 PM
CasualGran wrote:
nomatt wrote:Lol CasualGran, they're not real you know. I mean would you refuse to play Call Of Duty just because it had Germans in it who during WW2 were not politically correct? Only messing here but does it matter? I personally never take any notice of the story, characters anyway so if they are a little, say, old fashioned so what?

I wouldn't think of playing Call Of Duty at all. That's for one. And the phrase: Oh c'mon it's just a movie, game, book, whatever, never took away any used cruelty, gore or misogyniscism. Those elements don't amuse me. Never have, never will. So why would I waste my time and money on this **** (too nasty word) of a game?

Three cheers for you, Casual Gran! Great, great response!

Gail

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Mar 21, 11 3:10 PM
Three minutes in and I hated it didn't even bother to find anything !! Sorry I lied it seems I have 59 minutes of gameplay left obviously that minute felt like three lol

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 3:13:52 PM PST

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Mar 21, 11 4:13 PM
Yucky, yucky! shame on the developer, what a sexist pig!!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 21, 11 4:35 PM
When kinget said on previous page "and I had to practically nail my mouse button to the desk to get it to click on things - really weird. " I got a good giggle at least. I lost demo time stopping to change the battery in my mouse thinking it was mine going dead. Glad I didn't toss the first battery yet.

It was the bellydancer that threw me at first and I kept rethinking Where Are We?? Orient? I guess I'm not up on cultures as I felt I was in Turkey or Egypt. Disorienting yes. Then the characters and style of dialogue and graphics made me think it was a team in Russia who did 2 similar snarky HOGs, same girl in low rider jeans, then I was back to India.

The M word is pretty much common usage now in print and parlance, I just never use it myself because I can't spell it.

Maybe we should applaud BF for "listening" to our demands, i.e more HOGs and widescreen graphics. Maybe they have the word out to devs to try digging through their canned stuff, out of date or not, need to satisfy forum demands. I guess we need to be more specific begging for more SEs?

There just ain't no such thang as a new GREAT game every day.But hey, we do get an hour (or less) to play with stuff and something to chat about. And that's free too.

ps Was holding out buying one CE to see what I could use credits on for punches. This game and yesterday's put me over in CE territory,in spite of the arguments re insulting Celtic culture. Don't want to offend any believers/ non-believers but hey 1 good game for the price of 2 dogs. And twice the time to play. I think I'd rather wander around lost for awhile in an adventure with a SGuide showing me how to play.

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Mar 21, 11 5:02 PM
WOW! I've just read all the comments made up to now and must say that it's better than watching 'East Enders' or 'Coronation Street'! (UK 'soaps' for those in USA) What heated and grin-raising words! Bless you all for making my evening. Having said that - I won't even bother to download the trial as it sounds as if the game is not only the sort which would 'wind me up' but boring to boot. Never mind, I'm sure Big Fish will have more goodies for us real soon.
Love and peace to all, Pat_ric_ia x

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Mar 21, 11 5:19 PM
Came to check the reviews and now, I have no intention of trying it. Based on the reviews and the heated exhchanges, my opinion is that, sterotyping other issues aside, this appears to be a game that just simply insults peoples' intelligence.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 21, 11 5:24 PM
Okay...I played the demo...I was hoping I would like it...All I gotta say is that when the TGT C&R thread is more entertaining than the actual demo was it's a credit saver for me!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 21, 11 5:25 PM
Ditto Pat_ric_ia. Seems we always have something to play with be it a casual game or not so casual words LOL. I can't believe how many times I posted on this one and lately the worst games seem to get more pages than the acceptable games.

Many times I'm the voice in the wilderness thinking I found a real diamond in the mine passed by by others. Just couldn't go that far on the basis of filling up my new widescreen laptop, but felt an obligation to let others know it does work on a rare ratio. As outdated as this game appears to be, maybe they reprogrammed it for newer monitors. I don't remember if I even tried their release a few weeks ago. I have a feeling other devs are going to try the new "facelift".

Enough word play, I'm just avoiding going back to another dud I bought recently, same skippable ridiculous dialogue, but now held up by the teeny faded, obscure objects which weren't a problem in the demo. Must be their trick of making the game more challenging as you go. Challenge is one thing, impossible to play is something else. When I can't even figure out how to manipulate a jigsaw puzzle (my fav minis, I'll buy just for lots of those) well, makes me feel stupid til I come here and find good company. It's the game that's stupid, stupid!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 21, 11 5:43 PM
I don't like the male/female interaction and attitudes either. This game does have beautiful graphics. Unlike some, I did not find any objects that were too small but I have a 17" wide screen. This may be the second game that truly plays "full screen" on my monitor with no distortion. That is a big Plus. The main turn off for me though is that some minis are just too laborious to play. It was difficult to turn the jigsaws. The beautiful colored gem game where you had to move wheels and match them I found difficult to do. I had a hard time moving pieces and/or spinning the wheels and gave up on it. There was another game in which I had difficulty moving things and also skipped it. Even the M3 was a little sluggish but I finished it. A minor irritation was that bottom left corner. I had a hard time telling where it ended and the game began. During the jigsaw I kept trying to pick it up. It would have been better to put a border around it.

The beauty alone makes the game tempting but the drawbacks are a little too much for me.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 21, 11 5:56 PM
Well, I must be very insensitive but his comment "late again, that's typical" is certainly not sexist or misogynistic... he could have said that to a man just as easily. And yeah, it was kind of a jerk thing to say but I don't think it's so bad that people should refuse to even download for an hour of free play. Make up your own minds, for heaven's sake.

I think the game has lovely graphics, the story is kind of interesting and it's got quite a few mini-games that I found challenging but not frustratingly so. It's pretty much a straight HOG but it's got a few little differences like finding parts of separated objects that I found kind of fun.

I like it but I haven't decided if I want to buy it or wait for a game credit. Hmm...

Edited to add: The girl in the belly dancing outfit worked at a club that featured... BELLY DANCERS. She came to the detective agency either going to or leaving work. If you all choose to read more into it than that, you're certainly welcome to but it seems like a waste of energy.

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 6:22:48 PM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 21, 11 7:38 PM
After seeing all the uproar, I decided to try the game and evaluate it, without prejudice.

Summation: it's a fairly good game. The graphics are good, and the puzzles are excellent.

As for the PC stuff: what the boss says to her about being late isn't all that bad--not if you've worked in the real world. And, as far as games go, you have good characters and bad characters (hopefully you have a story with protagonist and antagonist). I had just tried out a game with a boss that was far more insulting and abusive than this boss, and for several comments. It was set in Europe.

There are some facts: there are slums everywhere. Sometimes people get out of them. Why is that bad? Why is it insulting when the boss, who does come across as a jerk, says he hired her because she's smart?

As for the belly dancer, hey, she's a belly dancer. How many times have characters in games showed up in the clothes they usually wear? Nothing sexist about it.

I played for almost an hour, and used hints to move a couple of puzzles along. I didn't find anything in the "you're late" comments or the boss's attitude that I haven't seen in other games before. And, in one scene, early on, he gives her attitude, and she gives it right back to him.

I've experienced sexism, as a glass-ceiling-breaking professional, and racism. I know it when I see it. From what I've seen--almost one hour--this game just doesn't have offensive stuff in those categories.

We have to remember that we live in a world where a girl can be raped by her uncled and whipped to death; where afemale reporter can be assaulted by a crowd. Unless we only want to play games involving sleeping princesses rescued by perfect princes (which, BTW, is kinda sexist, why does he have to do the rescuing?) we're going to run into games with characters that we don't like. Such as the boss. If there's crime, there's going to be..criminals. Etc.

I have a credit for a free game, and I'll probably use it on this game.

I'd suggest that fishies decide for themselves if a couple of snotty comments by one character (and one zinged right back) and a belly dancer wearing the costume of her trade are offensive. I'm not into mob rule, and I truly think that basing decisions based on other's personal decisions, based on maybe just a few minutes of play, are something I'd like to avoid.

This game doesn't deserve the PC whipping it's taken, IMHO.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 21, 11 8:10 PM
A couple of extra notes as I played a bit more.

The boss just stopped to rescue a trapped dog (via the player finding hidden objects).

Some areas are old-school HOG style; some are FROGS. On the whole, I don't like FROGs, but these are so nicely done that I don't mind them.

I just used my free credit to get this game. Now I have to get back to it--I've now got a Match 3 to play.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Mar 21, 11 8:20 PM
I pretty much agree with Pepper above me. I wanted to see what all this racism/sexism was and I couldn't find any...not a bit. I didn't even think the boss had a snarky attitude. Her coming in late was just to explain the first H0 scene. Instead of firing her, he teases her about it and then reminisces about how he hired her because she was so smart. They seem to be best friends to me. My only complaint with the game is that the controls don't seem to work well. As mentioned before, it seems like you really have to press on the mouse hard and for the puzzles that you had to rotate I just kept doing right-click...left click...right click...left click..and the pieces eventually rotated. The object list changed when I restarted again. It's not a great game and it's not a bad game and there is nothing politically, racially, or sexually incorrect in the first 45 minutes that I played.

Go to: