vadasgirl5
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,006 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Silent Scream: The Dancer

[Post New]by vadasgirl5 on Apr 25, 11 9:55 AM
SMQMC wrote:Doesn't seem as if a whole lot of people like this game. That being said, I'm going to give it a shot. I like dark. I like dreary. I like scary. I like stars and hand holding. I like to play slowly. I like most types of graphics. I don't mind short games, I don't mind long games. I even like STDs, puzzles and connect the wires/pipes. I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to games since that's what they are.......games. I will generally buy DDs or G of the W or Sale ones since I'm retired, getting poorer by the day, getting older, it's getting harder to see and definitely getting harder to figure out puzzles, although I do pretty well on those most of the time. Guess when you get older, you either get pickier or laid-back in your likes and dislikes. Me, I'm the latter. Hope all of you find games you like soon so we can all be pleased.

I like that I agree with you and so glad you posted..

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 25, 11 10:26 AM
I'm stunned. The bad cartoon graphics, the silly angles, the annoying background sounds, the irritating whisper in the H/O scenes, the ludicrous story line...um, I don't think so. That was 15 minutes I'll never get back again.

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Apr 25, 11 10:28 AM
I had planned to do a precise, point by point review. But others have, so simply put, not a game for me, I lasted 26 minutes into the hour before I had just had enough.

Stariannah
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Stariannah on Apr 25, 11 10:36 AM
Here's my review after almost 30 minutes of play (see below for why I didn't play the whole hour).

What I Liked
Separate sliders for music and sounds (see below).
Neat graphics, which were mostly clear (see below). Style reminded me of a cross between Farside and Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

What Annoyed Me
Too linear. I can't believe I'm having to complain about this 2 days in a row, but darn it! When I see something that could be useful, I want to pick it up right away, not when the game decides I need it.
Too much handholding. Granted, not as much as the latest Dream Chronicles, but pretty darn close. Honestly, I'm smart enough to figure out that when I'm given a map with a red X next to a slide in the playground, I'm supposed to go find a shovel and dig that spot up next. Heck, even a 6-year-old is smart enough to figure that out, so, please, don't tell me the obvious.
The whispering whenever I picked up an object in the hog scenes was just plain annoying.
Fuzzy cut scenes. The static scenes were nice and clear, but the cut scenes were fuzzy as all get out...or should I say pixelated as all get out since in the cut scenes, everything looked like it was digitized back in the 80's when pixels were MUCH, MUCH larger.
I dunno if this is supposed to be set in the past (but by the blue Mini Cooper in the bedroom HOG scene, I doubt it), but there's not a daycare alive these days that would have allowed a STRANGER to pick up a child without EXPRESS permission from the parent, usually in writing in advance, no matter what his story was.

What I Hated
Voice overs tied to music slider. Okay guys, I thought y'all were getting it, but apparently not. Don't tie the voices to the music. There's quite a few of us who can't stand the music and so turn it off. When you tie the voice overs (as well as the cut scene sounds) to the music, we're left out, and it really detracts from our experience of the game.
Programming bugs. For the first time ever with a game I've downloaded from here, and I've been getting games from BF since at least 2007, I have experienced a technical problem. *Spoiler* When I went to sew the eye on the doll, all of a sudden I received an Access Violation Error and was unceremoniously booted out of the game.

Star Rating
2-1/2 out of 5

Will I Buy It?
Nope, don't think so.

S.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews on Silent Scream: The Dancer

[Post New]by divaprods on Apr 25, 11 10:46 AM
lucyloket wrote: MINI SPOILER IN 'PROS' - I've tried the game and this is what I think;

Pros - I like the graphics - a bit watercolour in style.
The music is okay.
The Hid obj scenes I did were clear.
The items you have to merge to make new items to use - just remember that you drag them from the top part of the box to the lower part to do this.

Cons - The woman's voice - how irritating?!
The sparkles.
The fact that you can see items you're clearly going to need but can't pick them up until you've got to the part in the game when it says you need them! This really feels like 'hand holding' too far!

It's because of the last point that I would only buy this as a DD or if I was reeaally desperate for a game to play. I'd rather collect things as I find them and then work out where I need to use them.

I agree, it's annoying to have the hand point to something and not be able to pick it up. There are things lost in the translation which take some figuring out. But, why I won't buy this game is the annoying sounds such as the child crying in the house and the strange sounds/words in the **** scenes.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 25, 11 10:46 AM
This is a very nice game. I don't mind cartoon graphics as long as the objects to find are recognizable. Which most of these are. I don't mind the sparkles either because I'd rather click on a sparkle than minimize the game and try to find a walkthrough. Both give the same results so sparkles clicking is faster. For me anyway. I'm a very impatient player.

The only complaint I have is the HOG scenes are too hard. Raise your hand if you found the baseball bat, or the diamond?

I find the HOG scenes very difficult and that isn't good for an impatient player like myself. Thank goodness the hints refresh rather quickly.

Loved the story, character voices were good. All and all the difficult HOG scenes are my only complaint. It is certainly worth trying the demo.

NOTE: I saw the map with the "X" but couldn't figure out what the object was.... now I read another's post and see it was a slide. I'd never have guess it, so the sparkles telling me to dig was helpful to me.

Edited on 04/25/2011 at 10:49:51 AM PST

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Apr 25, 11 11:11 AM
Not sure about this one yet. There is much too much movie and not nearly enough gameplay, and frankly, when I found myself at Chapter Two after playing for only FIVE MINUTES, it made me wonder about the length of this game.

A couple of weeks ago I played thirty minutes of a Demo and got to Chapter Five in a game that had a total of NINE chapters; when I went on the Forums I discovered that a good number of fishies had actually completed the ENTIRE GAME before the Demo ran out!!

This is unacceptable and I hope it does not apply to this one. So far the best thing I can say about it is it does not seem to have any bugs.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Apr 25, 11 12:19 PM
I don't know what drove me to buy this game , maybe the hand drawn pictures they always suck me in ...But this game wants you to do Everything !!! I started wondering if I would have to look for some TP (oops) to wipe some bodys **** !!! Then as soon as I think that ...they mention laxatives back at the apartment .....Which means I have to gooooooo Backkkkkk to the apartment for the 50 th time !!!! This game is driving me crazy !!!! Live & learn ...!!!!!!!!! drive me to Cheers

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Apr 25, 11 12:43 PM
Going to have to think about this one. I feel like I'm playing in a comic strip and am not sure that I like the graphics. So far, it's been too much 'talking' and not enough happening, but I suppose it's setting the stage for the story line. Getting picky in my old age, I guess

LULU5635
Marlin
Marlin
8,049 Posts

[Post New]by LULU5635 on Apr 25, 11 1:09 PM
I just played the demo of Silent Scream:The Dancer and could not wait for the hour to be over! I won't be buying this one. The graphics were kind of "ghetto Anime". The storyline was lame. Hit me in the head with a pipe ....hello 911! And why couldn't she wake up the sitter and say "LADY,WHERE'S MY KID???"

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 25, 11 1:29 PM
First. I bet the illustrator illustrates children's books as well. If not, then that person should consider this field. Absolutely beautiful! Did not like the fact that you could not collect items for your inventory as you went along but had to go back for them.

I will probably buy because we aren't getting very good games lately. Not sure what is going on with BF, but the quality is going down. It seems to me that they are mass producing them without taking the time to refine them. This game could have been exceptional, but it is missing some refinement such as with the collection of the inventory items.

Anyone playing a game will find it annoying to go back to pick up items just because the developer didn't take the time to refine the game so that the player didn't have to do this. Very irritating. Grade for me: C Needs work

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Apr 25, 11 1:31 PM
Haven't played the demo yet so can't comment, but is anyone besides me sick and tired of searching for lost/stolen family members?!? Aren't there any other reasons devs can come up with to motivate players? It's really the most overused cliché, and just reading it in the description bores me.

Note - I'll never turn down an otherwise good game for that reason, but I had to get that off my chest.

devolyn
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews on Silent Scream: The Dancer

[Post New]by devolyn on Apr 25, 11 1:40 PM
peglegann wrote:
Coronagold wrote:Not enough pole dancing references.

? ? ? ? What does this mean? LOL!

bahahahahhahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree!

This game was pretty and quirky, but the cut scenes drove me nuts! If I bought it, I would probably skip over most of these.But it is different for sure! It made me think of an Americanized verson of Japanimation!

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Apr 25, 11 2:04 PM
SMQMC wrote:Doesn't seem as if a whole lot of people like this game. That being said, I'm going to give it a shot. I like dark. I like dreary. I like scary. I like stars and hand holding. I like to play slowly. I like most types of graphics. I don't mind short games, I don't mind long games. I even like STDs, puzzles and connect the wires/pipes. I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to games since that's what they are.......games. I will generally buy DDs or G of the W or Sale ones since I'm retired, getting poorer by the day, getting older, it's getting harder to see and definitely getting harder to figure out puzzles, although I do pretty well on those most of the time. Guess when you get older, you either get pickier or laid-back in your likes and dislikes. Me, I'm the latter. Hope all of you find games you like soon so we can all be pleased.

I'm in the same boat as you. Retired and getting poorer by he day. I must remember to send the Government a thank you note. (Heavy on the Sarcasm) This particular game is a mixed bag for me. I'm leaning to not purchase only because of not being able to pick items I know will be crucial to my well being.
Hang in there. Non Illigitimus Carborundum

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 25, 11 2:16 PM
Just finished the game and can't really think of anything else to add as most of the fishes have already went over the pro's and con's. On the fence about buying this, I did enjoy the HOG's as they were more like a painting and some were hard to find. I really didn't mind the sparkles as I didn't think it was hand holding but I am in my 70's so like a little hand holding.

Edited on 04/25/2011 at 2:17:31 PM PST

innej
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by innej on Apr 25, 11 2:20 PM
I must be the only one who keeps hearing "Sick Boy" when you find an object

It's an odd game but I do kind of like it. I'll probably mark it as a Daily Deal or Catch of the Week buy. Not sure I like it enough otherwise.

It was confusing at first because you could find useful objects but you can't really pick them up until you get to a point where you need them. That's a little too 'by the hand' for my tastes.

"Sick Boy" is stuck in my head now!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Apr 25, 11 2:26 PM
I thought this game was quite strange when I started it but it grew on me as I went along. I found the cockeyed front yard to be jarring to my sensibilities but except for that the graphics are interesting. I don't find the hints to be helpful. It shows you a picture of where to look but if I haven't seen that area yet it doesn't mean much. I think I'm enjoying it enough to buy it.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Apr 25, 11 3:15 PM
Well, I didn't like the game for a lot the reasons listed here. I also like a bit of reality in my games, and to me finding a pack of matches on a play table -- not realistic. Also I found the puzzle instructions very confusing not to mention inaccurate. For instance, connecting all the dots without crossing any lines. Well, I connected all the dots, then I realized it really meant ALL the dots and if you've done this one then you'll know what I mean, but when I couldn't do it without crossing any lines I went to the walkthrough. What they really mean is you can't go the same way twice.

Edited on 04/25/2011 at 3:39:35 PM PST

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Apr 25, 11 3:24 PM
I am really concerned about the state of mind of some of these developers. Why does most of the games have to be so dark and morbid. And, what's with "Precious" speaking everytime you click on a hidden object. I could really live without that.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 25, 11 3:33 PM
well, that was weird but fun...especially since I could use a stamp on it. I like edgy games, and this was. Unfortunately we all knew she was ... woops, almost gave it away... after the first scene or two...reminded me so much of several movies like that. But still, the drawing was pretty cool, the items not so easy to find but not small...the roaming all over toan was great. I only wish it has a bit longer and especially more involved with why these things happened to her family. Little too much video story when we could have been playing it.
But, neverthe less,,,good game.
kris

Go to: