Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Allora and The Broken Portal

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Apr 29, 11 10:06 PM
Too simple for my taste.. Played the demo and did enjoy it but just not my cup of tea.

[Post New]by ocgarden on Apr 30, 11 1:00 AM
Beautifully rendered **** scenes. I found objects as slow as possible to enjoy the artwork! Not difficult, but very enjoyable. A buy for me

marsute
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Another game that I really like

[Post New]by marsute on Apr 30, 11 5:32 AM
A good HOG. It has kept me busy for hours.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 30, 11 7:03 AM
Delightfully enchanting!! During the opening of the game I felt I had stumbled into a Beatrix Potter story book. Little critters all over, and that mouse guide. Colorful, tasteful, fairly easy play but some things challenging for me.

The original artwork and gameplay isn't unlike the first Samantha Swift, so is heartwarming, I felt at home. Those "flashing" arrows some don't like or can't ignore didn't bother me at all. They don't FLASH like hurt eyes, pretty subtle and seems like when I am taking time gazing (my fav part) seeing how the artist portrays different object, more familiar with Samantha shapes and choices. Love that. The arrows to other locations seemed momentary then fade out. Like those little feet that show where to walk in Samantha if there is a related location where you will find what you don't need on this hog scene. However in this one when you follow the arrow or arrows the other way you have a new list of object.

I like where you can go back and forth during hog play or midway in a puzzle. That is when I see objects second round that I didn't see before, new eyes.

For me the puzzles were pretty intuitive and nothing to get stuck on to interrupt the flow. I wanted to finish putting the statue back together even as I wanted to leave some play left on demo. Was shocked to find I had only one minute left on demo, flew by!!

Love that sort of jigsaw, putting that statue back together, not as easy to rush through as it appears, putting back stone pieces white and greytones. Seems that puzzle was on another game but not recently, don't remember.

I liked the arrow/hand that led me to not a different location but an etended side of the panorama, extending same location. And when not finding anything on 3 ajacent scenes I had forgotton I left the first hog undone. Finished that first list and there were the items I needed for other scnes. Just a soft fun game once I figured out how to navigate when different from run of the mills. Bought it, now just one more punch by the end of this day.

ms_mamiller
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by ms_mamiller on Apr 30, 11 7:08 AM
WOW what a fabulous game! This is definitly my style and I have a feeling it will be one of my ultimate faves. I adore the overall style of this game, the graphics, the sounds, the story. Please message me if you know any games that are like this one or Mortlake. I just love these hand drawn, cell shaded games, fabulous! Of course the story is important, but my first impressions after playing the demo were "loving it completely!" I think this will be one of the years best!

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Apr 30, 11 8:08 AM
Tough to sum this one up...It's animation is so child-like...Perhaps that's it...this would be great for kids. I found the concept of the game started to get more and more monotonous. I think this will be nice for some people though...the music isn't obnoxious and the H.O.G.'s are a challenge.

Good luck

ms_mamiller
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by ms_mamiller on Apr 30, 11 10:31 AM
Really enjoying this game! Wonderful! One of the best!

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Apr 30, 11 10:32 AM
QEIII wrote:Yes we got a day off for the wedding. Thought Princess Catherine (as we must all call her now) looked stunning

Actually, you’re wrong because her title is Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Cambridge.

You shouldn’t feel too bad though. I’m sure tons of people will call her Princess Catherine incorrectly.

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

I see I'm in the minority on this one

[Post New]by userfree on Apr 30, 11 12:19 PM
It's a bit sugary sweet for me; seems more geared towards a younger, less experienced with HOG,IHOG or FROG. Maybe I just like the darker themed games so not a buy for me.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 30, 11 1:36 PM
I got this one on the spur of the moment/end of month so I could fill out a game card and I'm very glad I did. The artwork is lovely, the music is something I'd listen to all on its own and the game play is relaxing.

Can't say I appreciate the remarks about this only being suited for small children.

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on Apr 30, 11 2:38 PM
Well, I am in my 50's and am really enjoying this game!

Airmid
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Airmid on Apr 30, 11 6:35 PM
I've just completed this game, and I find myself going 'awww' it ended. I was enjoying myself enough that I wanted to continue. Well worth the money IMO.

As most have stated, the artwork is quite delicious, very well done and a nice change from my usual dark and sinister gtames. Was it Poodlebear who used to call it eye candy?

The game does get more challenging as it goes on; certainly not the most challenging, but a decent 'romp'. And having to remember which scenes need what fixed was fun. Sometimes we really don't have to take ourselves too seriously.

Happy gaming fishies. .... I'm waiting for tomorrow when I can buy Voodoo Whisperer.....and start another punch cared.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Apr 30, 11 6:56 PM
For some it's either too sweet or too sour. Different strokes for different folks. I personally love the game, and yes it's a buy.

[Post New]by motanner on May 1, 11 12:34 AM
Is it me or does this game seem very familiar? It is almost as though it is laid out exactly like another game but maybe some differences in the storyline....I can't help thinking the creators used the same base for two games, either that or I am having some serious deja vu.....anyone else?

****HAHA...I just realized I probably played the beta try-out version! No wonder it is so familiar! What a ding-dong!

Edited on 05/01/2011 at 12:42:27 AM PST

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on May 1, 11 12:50 AM
this game! Mostly HOG scenes and the puzzles are fairly easy, but there is just something about the game that really holds my interest. Highly recommend.

[Post New]by Lady2610 on May 1, 11 2:24 AM
Just downloading his now, hope it's as good as the graphics suggest. Just finished Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden so looking for something not so dark and the storyline of this seems lovely.

Hope you have all recovered from 'the wedding'. Happy playing fishies xxxxxx

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on May 1, 11 2:51 PM
kdubs wrote:Similar style to Awakening: Moonfell Woods. Excellent graphics. I didn't feel there were any tiny objects or dark spots, easy on the eyes.
Lots of little interactive use of inventory to find crystals. Puzzles can be skipped.
Hint button seemed to recharge pretty quickly. Overclickpenalty is a subdued little loopdeloop.
The notebook tells you more of a story and although I didn't spend time reading ahead, it may have told how many locations there are and explained about goals.
I like it well enough to buy to fill my 2nd card, but wondering about length. There's something like 75 crystals to collect and I found 19 in the 35 minutes I played the trial.

edit to add: Caution to those players who don't play games that show snakes. There are at least 3 in HOG scenes within the first 1/2 hour. They don't bother me, but I know some folks just can't stand 'em.

I'll take snakes over spiders any day! Spiders give me the heebee jeebies.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on May 1, 11 9:17 PM
cherbtoo wrote:There is however one very annoying aspect to this game and that is the exit arrows that keep flashing onto the screen every couple of minutes grrrrrrrr ... in my opinion they would have been better being there permanently or to only appear when you moved your cursor over them.

These arrows are the reason why I'm not purchasing the game. They're an annoyance and one that bugs me enough to bide my time and see how badly I want to deal with them to complete the game. Not enough at the moment so will uninstall and move on to the next demo I have to play.

Otherwise, nice easy game, cute graphics, enjoyable puzzles, fun for all ages.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 2, 11 1:58 AM

Bought it, loved it and this is one of those games I'll enjoy over and over. The music was lovely, in and of itself....

P.S. I'm not a child.....

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on May 2, 11 10:34 AM
lovley game nothing to make you think but worth spending time on to relax

Go to: