puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for: Hidden in Time: Looking-glass Lane

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 8, 11 1:36 PM
Just popping in with a comment about the first TGT that disappeared. I thought the game chosen for today would have something to do with Mothers. So Mummy's Day, Mommy's Day could have been a joke on us on Mother's Day? Well, happy Mummy's anyway.
I'd like the DD to have been Incredible Adventures of My Mom, taking readers to that review all about defining what a mother's role should be. (those of us who didn't care enjoyed that fun ihog lite).

Later when I saw the switch I was pleased. I liked the first Mirror Mirror for what it was then although remember it got tedious going back to same locations a lot of time and thought I'd never get to the end. I was impressed that a dev joined the thread to chat about it being their first game, listening to comments. I think she was the dev's wife.

Personally, and let me speak for myself. Never enough HOG scenes for me, the less wandering and refreshing of sneakers the better in this one. I've enough CEs I haven't finished, and tackled Trackers Rainfield 2 nights in a row, started over taking notes like a college class. One HOG and so far 18 spots where something has to be found, a tool, whatever I've only matched up 3 objects with a task, fell asleep. Thank God I thought to take notes because I started over, couldn't remember anything I did on the demo.

We need more games like this to remind us how just plain FUN a game could be, not a struggle challenging what grey matter we have left after a tiresome day. OR reaching a certain age with "senior moments". Give me a break to just let a game amuse and entertain me I can resume without having to remember much if anything. Aren't there enough adventure games, or ihogs heavy on adventure to please others? I certainly have enough unfinished CEs or SEs needing walkthroughs. So, please don't try to speak for all of us, speak for yourself if you want difficulty levels to reach your aspirations. You got your Expert levels, we may want easy, casual levels and just chill out with sparkles, arrows, hints to relax and PLAY with games we can finish in a sitting.

Something for everyone? Even those new to casual games. This IMO is a very good one.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 8, 11 1:56 PM
oh my, I was getting excited reading the early reviews but I must be in the minority.

I found the graphics pretty tinny compared to the last few games we've been offered.
Just thin, I guess, visually. Deep contrasts in painting just aren't there, in fact the sites are pretty ordinary and quite boring...to me at least.
The loading..watching the game load scene after scene feels like a game way out of the past- like years ago.
The game play was ok, but nothing to get excited about. Like I mentened before, disappointing. I really could't continue after 40 minutes or so (game said I had 19 min left), so I said, enough and stopeed it.
This is an ordinary game. The HOG scenes are fine, but not worth paying for unless this game arrived as a DD.
I hate downing a game when people have worked so hard on it, but frankly when I saw the blinking of the eyes after being zapped by lighting I went "uh-oh". This feels like a reworked game and needs a fresh start to make it a good game.
kris

Edited on 05/08/2011 at 1:59:18 PM PST

TigerJo714
Stingray
Stingray
5,122 Posts

[Post New]by TigerJo714 on May 8, 11 1:57 PM
puzzledone wrote:I'd like the DD to have been Incredible Adventures of My Mom, taking readers to that review all about defining what a mother's role should be. (those of us who didn't care enjoyed that fun ihog lite).

Hi puzzle, wow - I thought u were joking, but just checked and its a real game lol. Don't know how I missed it - gonna demo it now. Ur right, it would have been a gr8 idea for a DD.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 8, 11 3:14 PM
kris_cross48 wrote:... in fact the sites are pretty ordinary and quite boring...to me at least.
The loading..watching the game load scene after scene feels like a game way out of the past- like years ago.
The game play was ok, but nothing to get excited about...

This is my initial impression too Kris. I haven't played the full demo hour, about halfway, but this certainly hasn't grabbed me at all yet! The game mechanics seem very clunky to me for some reason. I am going to wait a day or two and finish the demo and see if I have a change of heart... (I do like finding and shooting tin cans!)

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 8, 11 3:18 PM
puzzledone wrote:
I'd like the DD to have been Incredible Adventures of My Mom, taking readers to that review all about defining what a mother's role should be. (those of us who didn't care enjoyed that fun ihog lite).

I love that game, I had gotten my 13 year old daughter to play it just a few days ago. her words not mine," it is fun, just what you expect from an American Mum" but she is a girl addicted to Desperate Housewives & whose fav is Lynette. ( Mines Bree)

She wasn't being rude, btw, just too much telly mind bending. We parent very much on the "let the kids make their mistakes & just be there to pick up the pieces" which is already showing rewards.

I've enough CEs I haven't finished, and tackled Trackers Rainfield 2 nights in a row, started over taking notes like a college class.

I take notes, journals, diaries etc are all very well & good but end up like reference libraries

We need more games like this to remind us how just plain FUN a game could be, not a struggle challenging what grey matter we have left after a tiresome day. OR reaching a certain age with "senior moments". Give me a break to just let a game amuse and entertain me I can resume without having to remember much if anything. Aren't there enough adventure games, or ihogs heavy on adventure to please others? I certainly have enough unfinished CEs or SEs needing walkthroughs.

Totally agree.

Also for me, it can be a pants game but if the story is funny enough & compellingly bad, it will get me hooked.

I am a very shallow gamer, shoot me

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on May 8, 11 3:24 PM

I have played about a half hour and I really like this game. There is several things to do in the scenes, tin cans to "shoot", mirrors to find, things to move, puzzles and a hog scene. I like the era, the names are like my family in the past, it has a "comfy" feeling to it. I LOVE the advanced mode, NO sparkles and I get to figure it out! A definite buy for me!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 8, 11 4:19 PM
I see I may be in some good company re the relaxed fun/funny games. If one game isn't blasted for passe` tech rather than cutting edge, another is way overintellectualized re some character or story like the Mom game. I think sometimes others miss the tongue in cheek or subtleties of humor racing through. She was an Italian mom, he hardly ever calls so she follows him on radio and news worrying he needs more food and yes, a bit overly protective. And that was what got her and him in trouble. Of course 10 min and quit doesn't get you there.

What I like about this one is being in tune with and feeling the dev's sense of humor and the fun they were having making it (Vogat's first Reincarnations Awakened hit that home to me). They can tease us a bit without mental torture. That makes up for perhaps so so graphics or some loading between screens so what, I'm in no hurry. Except on my new laptop W7 this loaded like a speeding bullet. On my reg monitor I can bump up the contrast and brightness and colors all I want to.

The newer games show some excellence and cutting edge are getting to feel so much alike I can't sort out what I was doing/ should do going from one to another. I must buy CEs just to get the SG for not being able to play through hours without stopping, or need a nudge. If I have to start a level over that I didn't finish, fine with me to see and get back up to speed where I am. So I don't mind that, just try to finish a level before Exit. And some devs seem to create with an attitude of I gotcha! Bet you didn't see that, and I say no I didn't, not psychic here. Couldn't even get close guessing.

I guess some on this one but random clicks are encouraged, cute sounds, little surprised finding something under it, but not excessive. So, the exploding pointer struck ME funny, so quick and a play on what they must know we hate. Not even a penalty, nothing punitive. And that funny almost hint the ghost gave and stopped with I know you'd rather find it yourself LOL. Well, if I don't need a WT, fine, must have pleased the experts anyway. Just overall feels like good humor, creativity, imaginative, maybe have to skimp on one thing to employ another and keep game within normal sys req. OK, had widescreen on laptop to start, but back to bars on gameplay. That's not new. But says I can play it on my older pc and full screen.

Well, to sum up, you can say I don't take my games too seriously, just find something to do/watch/fun than TV

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 8, 11 4:45 PM
LOL Jo Jo the Joyful shallow gamer. I just shot you, you can shoot me back. I'm too shallow to even put the underscores in your name (would have to hunt for that key and uppercase). But I don't expect we'll get little balloons with comments and scores. I really like those tin cans to shoot at when I'm not seeing what I'm looking for, sense of satisfaction I found something anyway, yippee another hint on the mirrors, can't say I've needed them but hurrying in the demo.

Just noticed I was referring to other CE I'm working on as Rainfield. Oh even the title makes my brain have to work with instant recall, Raintree? Raincliff? Starts with an R anyway and my brain transmitters short circuit. RainDROPS keep falling on my....something.

These games are supposed to sharpen my mind, but lately they're just making me feel old.
Sun is finally breaking on an overcast cool Sunday, but I'm still going back to PLAY with this game, it's a holiday. Blue Monday - back to my CEs. If I can remember which is which. Anybody notice how they all seem alike lately? Oh that one I need a pen and pad and a raincoat to get my $ worth - that one.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on May 8, 11 5:44 PM
Been quite a while since posting anything about any games in the forums, but I HAVE to say that THIS game is MOST different. I didn't catch who the developer is, but - from having played the demo - they put a LOT of thought into this one. . .QUITE different!! As a few of the other fishies stated, the objects are rather small but they go well with the layout of each scene. There are a LOT of places to go and things to do in each. Some may not find this to be their 'cup of tea', but it's a far change (or break) from what has been released as of late (and, most of what's been released has been pretty good).

I used one of two punch card codes towards The Ritual (started it Friday night, finished over an hour ago) and will be using the second for this winner. I, personally, give this game out of 5!!

Happy Mother's Day and happy gaming!!

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 8, 11 6:04 PM
I'm not sure why but I didn't find this one as interesting as the first one, so I guess I won't be buying it. Maybe part of the reason was that many of the hidden objects were quite small, although, I don't remember what they were like in the first one. Oh, well, maybe tomorrow will have something more to my liking.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 8, 11 8:09 PM
Nice game. Clear graphics, mirrors sometimes a bit small, but found them all so far. The only thing I didn't particularly like about the game was the same "extra game" on each level. Got a bit boring after awhile. Otherwise, I liked it and purchased the game.

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by wini1 on May 8, 11 9:59 PM
Great game! It is a little to easy so far but nice to have something a little different.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on May 8, 11 10:20 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:
kris_cross48 wrote:... in fact the sites are pretty ordinary and quite boring...to me at least.
The game play was ok, but nothing to get excited about...

This is my initial impression too Kris. I haven't played the full demo hour, about halfway, but this certainly hasn't grabbed me at all yet! The game mechanics seem very clunky to me for some reason. I am going to wait a day or two and finish the demo and see if I have a change of heart... (I do like finding and shooting tin cans!)

I agree with both of you. The graphics seemed pretty clear but the game just didnt grab me either. I just could not get in to the storyline. I did enjoy their previous game. Will pass on this one.

Happy gaming lil fishies

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 8, 11 10:27 PM
It's an OK game for me. i have one problem that keeps me on the fence - the endless loading! Scenes load very slowly and the curser freezes making me feel like there is a tech problem and just when I think I need to CNTRL/ALT/DEL, the scene loads. That is tiresome. I don't know if it is a problem with the game or with my computer.

I enjoyed the first game and played it about 4 times as I recall. I don't know if I can stand waiting for loads here though I would like to play the game. It seemed to take forever just to quit playing. I had to wait for at least 3 scenes to load before i could get out of the game. Felt like I could have read a novel while waiting.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on May 8, 11 10:36 PM
JoJo did do a good job in reviewing. The developers tried to make this game not so difficult, but still a challenge. However, I became bored after playing about 40 minutes. If it becomes a DD I may buy it.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on May 9, 11 12:41 AM
I tried this for about 10 minutes and I don't know, Im just not thrilled by it. I played in advanced mode & yah it didn't have sparkles but it still wasn't very captivating. Im still not done with raincliff but I know Im near the end n I don't want it to end so I been putting it off LOL As for this one, I had to go look at the last game they released & I don't think I was thrilled by it either since I didn't buy it. Oh well, at least I finally found a game I absolutely fell in love with a couple days ago happy gaming

Re:Comments and review for Hidden in Time Lookingglass Lane

[Post New]by Streifenbarbe on May 9, 11 1:08 AM
Sandy_Johnson wrote:has anyone gotten to the hidden object scence by the train wreck and found the popcorn? The hints are not helping.

Spoiler!
Hi Sandy, try to find the corncob!

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on May 9, 11 6:11 AM
Hi. I love this game. I've played the whole hour and will most certainly buy it!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 9, 11 7:09 AM
i found this one to be a bit of drudgery after about 35 minutes, but played until i hit the town anyway...

the best thing for me was looking for those tin cans to shoot 'em down!

just didn't grab me, but i think i'm just suffering from Raincliff's disease... such a hard game to follow, really just enjoyed it so much!

for those of you who have gone through the looking glass... enjoy

MacS
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by MacS on May 9, 11 8:04 AM
Re: Popcorn. You find the ear of corn and hold it over the fire!!
I have the game and played it quite a while, but, I for one like more
puzzles and less HOGS. But--it is what it is.

Go to: