pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by pgillenw on May 26, 11 5:47 PM
Great game!!! I am still playing but I couldn't wait to comment. Truly love games such as this. Keep them coming BF!

BTW the game runs well under Win 7 Widescreen, 64-bit OS.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 26, 11 5:49 PM
Wow, I like it!! Great graphics, music appropriate for setting, not a lot of diaglogue, items not difficult to find. Only thing I really didn't like was the creepy hand icon, but could not get rid of it. Surprises at every bend. Awesome game. Definite buy, but will see how long it is first...always do.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on May 26, 11 5:53 PM
Doesn't it just play well!! It's nearly 2am here, and I've had to stop playing it. I'm doing the Bonus section and just been scared sh**less by some horrendous thing coming at me. Had to close my eyes and just listen till the screams faded (then realised it was me!!)

Brilliant game, thoroughly enjoying it, scared to death more than a couple of times, and I'm calling it an night and going to try and go to sleep.

Kel

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 26, 11 6:00 PM
about 70% through the game, having a great time when I hit a glitch. It's one of those stacking the rocks..this one is the second one on the way back to hannibal. Anyay, after 30 minutes failing at it, I gave up and hit skip. That did not skip over the mini game and there were no rocks to even try again with. Nothing is happening.
kris

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on May 26, 11 6:38 PM
Truly one of the best hidden object games I have ever played. I cant add anything to the positive comments and reviews that have already been made. Its games like this that makes one pass up just mediocre games. You can always replay in your collection and make it seem brand new especially if you are a senior you know what I mean. Brain Lapses. LOL. I have played Mumbo Jumbo games in other categories and they never dissapoint. Thanks Big Fish for bringing us this game. Now off to finish the extras.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 26, 11 6:42 PM
Another excellent game from Mumbo Jumbo. I love the mystery series they have established. Not too far into the game as yet, but from what I have observed, the graphics are gorgeous. The puzzles are slightly different and a variation of others I have played in the past. The storyline is a slightly confusing for me. Maybe I am not into the game long enough to quite understand what is going on. I believe he is going back in time to help Mark Twain but not sure what Shakespeare has to do with this. Wish there were voice. It makes the game much better with voice. However, much better than many we have had as HOGS. However, I wonder if the game is rather short considering it is only around 250,000 KB. Grade: B+

sixmilecoss
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by sixmilecoss on May 26, 11 7:11 PM
well, unfortunately not for me. i started playing earlier and had half of it left but when i came back this evening, it started all over again from the beginning. not gonna waste the remaining time going thru everything i already did.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on May 26, 11 7:54 PM
Kazzie_UK wrote:I'm guessing everone has good eye-sight... other than me. I am really struggling to find the objects as they are so small.

Nope, it's not just you. I have good eye sight but to find the clovers and a lot of the ravens was almost impossible. I was sitting here with the blinds down and still couldn't see much. A lot of the scenes were simply too dark.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Not worth the collector's edition price-tag

[Post New]by mycatluna on May 26, 11 8:19 PM
The previous two Midnight Mysteries were sold as Standard Editions and this one should not have been any different. There is nothing about this game that particularly outshines the other two. Don't get me wrong-I've enjoyed both of the previous games and this one looks fun too; however, the series has, since the beginning, been sold as a Standard Edition and this game, IMHO, does not set itself apart from the other two in the series in any amazing way that would justify paying twice as much for the third installment.

In fact, from the reviews I have read so far, this game seems to be about the same amount of playing time as the other two (bonus included) and perhaps even a little shorter. In my mind, this does not equal paying a higher price for a similar product that I previously paid regular price for.

And as I've mentioned before, the wallpapers and such can usually be downloaded directly from the developer's site for free.

Furthermore, from what I played of the demo, the strategy guide is not needed as the game is fairly straightforward, just as the other two have been. So that in-game guide doesn't justify the extra expense either.

For those that have to have it as a CE, enjoy. But for this fish in the pond, I will wait until it comes around as a SE and hope that next week's CE actually justifies the price-tag.

Also, does anyone know what dictates a game being released as a CE? The reason I ask is that many CE's on this site are released as SE's on other gaming sites (which negates the argument that we are paying more money so the developers can stay afloat if they are releasing it as a SE elsewhere) while some SE's released at BFG are released as CE's on other gaming sites. Seems strange.

Anyway, it is a well-done game so enjoy! I can't wait until its released as an SE, and I look forward to more in the series for sure.

Happy gaming

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on May 26, 11 8:24 PM
Good questions mycatluna. I didn't realize that there was a discrepency between the editions and different game sites.

crabbycat
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by crabbycat on May 26, 11 9:37 PM
Decisions, decisions!! I already have one card filled up for this month and now this comes out. Can I wait until June to buy it or should I give in and buy today and then try to find 3 other games to fill in another card?!?! In case you didn't realize....I love this game. Thanks for the reviews..they were on the mark. Have the others of this series (?) and love them also..Well, I still don't know when I will buy this game, only that I will buy it!! Thanks BF.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on May 26, 11 9:47 PM
Wonderful game but unfortunately due to rising gas prices I am no longer buying CE's. I'll have to wait until the regular version appears which is frustrating because I was really enjoying it!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 26, 11 9:54 PM
I'm really leaning towards purchasing this one and I rarely purchase CEs. They usually are not worth the extra cost. I could use my two club credits, but they don't expire and I have two handfuls of codes that do expire that I can't use to purchase this one.

As everyone else has said, this game is perfect. There wasn't a thing I didn't like about it. I, too, thought it should have been released as a SE as the other two previous games in this series were, but the additional things to find and bonus content make it possibly worth the extra cost.

NikkiBikki
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by NikkiBikki on May 27, 11 12:02 AM
I really enjoyed this game, although I found some of the flashing lights and some scenes a bit too bright for my liking and do not usually get effected by them in other games but definitely did in this one

Loved the MM: Salem Witch Trials and I don't think this one was as good.

The graphics were good as usual and there was enough challenges in this game without being frustating and too difficult.

I enjoyed the mini games and hidden object scenes as they were not the usual kind which made it more interesting. Also liked that you had to combine some objects in your inventory before using.

Thought the bonus section was great too, definitely worth purchasing the CE game for as well as the stategy guide which was really helpful

Would give this game a 4 out of 5

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on May 27, 11 12:03 AM
Well, Mumbo Jumbo and have done it again! By that, I mean, presented us with another Midnight Mysteries classic! I Beta-tested this a few months ago, and I thought, "It's gonna be a great one." Good guess! Whether or not it's a worthy CE is surely open to debate--I'm a pretty choosy CE gamer, and I bought it.

The intro is one of the best I've ever seen; the opening menu screen itself almost left me awestruck! Options are the standards (the cursor, whether you choose game or system, is SO easy to follow--a skeleton hand with a pointy finger (just like the previous MMs)). I especially enjoyed the sounds, both music and SFX--I think you'll want to keep the speakers on! I can hardly believe the artistry and creativity that went into the graphics--clear, crisp, colorful at times, somber and moody when the situation warrants. Hidden-objects are a bit of a challenge, and you've gotta find "ravens" to build up the hint-system count. Speaking of "finding," there are s just like in the other MMs--they're tough to spot. And searching the house for "dem bones" is a fun add-on. Pretty standard integrated Strategy Guide, but I bet you won't need it too often. Can't comment on the bonus gameplay, 'cuz I'm a LONG ways from that yet!

Game length? Can't say, but in 15 minutes of the demo (I'm further along in the whole game now) my progress was 2%--does that mean 12+ hours? Probably not (I'm a plodder), but good length anyways.

Now--where's Tearstone?

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on May 27, 11 12:14 AM
pungstress wrote:Wonderful game but unfortunately due to rising gas prices I am no longer buying CE's. I'll have to wait until the regular version appears which is frustrating because I was really enjoying it!

Yes gas prices. But was just at the grocery store the other day and wanted to faint at all the price increases on the FOOD from just two weeks ago. $23.00 for a tiny ham? Seriously? Anyway, way off topic but at this rate it will be Mac and Cheese for the man and me.

If only wages were increased accordingly. Sigh...

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on May 27, 11 12:17 AM
elldee2728 wrote:Well, Mumbo Jumbo and have done it again! By that, I mean, presented us with another Midnight Mysteries classic! I Beta-tested this a few months ago, and I thought, "It's gonna be a great one." Good guess! Whether or not it's a worthy CE is surely open to debate--I'm a pretty choosy CE gamer, and I bought it.

The intro is one of the best I've ever seen; the opening menu screen itself almost left me awestruck! Options are the standards (the cursor, whether you choose game or system, is SO easy to follow--a skeleton hand with a pointy finger (just like the previous MMs)). I especially enjoyed the sounds, both music and SFX--I think you'll want to keep the speakers on! I can hardly believe the artistry and creativity that went into the graphics--clear, crisp, colorful at times, somber and moody when the situation warrants. Hidden-objects are a bit of a challenge, and you've gotta find "ravens" to build up the hint-system count. Speaking of "finding," there are s just like in the other MMs--they're tough to spot. And searching the house for "dem bones" is a fun add-on. Pretty standard integrated Strategy Guide, but I bet you won't need it too often. Can't comment on the bonus gameplay, 'cuz I'm a LONG ways from that yet!

Game length? Can't say, but in 15 minutes of the demo (I'm further along in the whole game now) my progress was 2%--does that mean 12+ hours? Probably not (I'm a plodder), but good length anyways.

Now--where's Tearstone?

According to several other reviews, most people were about 30% finished with the game when the hour demo was up so it gets shorter as you go. Average from other players ranges between 3 and 4 hours WITH bonus content, if that helps.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 27, 11 3:21 AM
Love the game. I own the last one as well, and this one is just as wonderful.

Graphics are well done, and H0 scenes are clean and clear - some objects are a little bit too small though.

Love having to find the ravens for extra hints and the clover for unlimited H0 play - although I don`t care for that part, but love having to find the clover.

Would have preferred to be able to first add my name to the profile and go to the option part instead getting thrown into the game right away. After having had a tutorial, I had to go back to the Main Menu section and added my name and then start over again. No biggie, but still...

Managed to finish 12% in 55 minutes. Could have finished more, if it wasn´t for the fact that I had to start over again with my own profile name, and because I don`t rush it - I like taking my time and having a good look around all those wonderfully done scenes.

And I`ve bought the game, of course.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 27, 11 4:16 AM
Well, they played gotcha with me. I'm not buying anymore CEs til I finish my overstocked laptop. BUT I do test most new games of interest on my l7" laptop widescreen just in case. The last ones that did fill my screen with no black bars and reduced game size was Sherlock Baskervilles and Phantom of the Opera, how long ago was that. The rest are dry runs.

REJOICE LAPPY USERS. Wasn't a waste of time on this one. I not only woke up during the opening cut scene (and many games are widescreen that far) but to my surprised delight going into the game itself it stayed wide, filling my screen. Great graphics, sound effects, had on ear buds and the cracks of thunder jumped me out of my seat. I was sucked into playing 30 minutes as Player and really didn't want to stop. So what to do now? Not starting a new punch card til June, wasting 3 punches Not buying a CE til I do finish the 2 named that fill ratio 1600x900 screen size. 2 holdbacks there.

I own the first 2 in the series and altho I liked the Poe one, hard to see dark and tinies. Liked the Salem Witches sort of, but even harder to find small things and more wandering than I can handle, needed the WT many times lost in circles. But hey, this one is new and improved, bigger objects to see. Only checked the SG once after a half hour too see if I would go on or exit for now. Couldn't figure where to go next, and read it may not save. I'll be buying it, Lord knows when I'll have time to play full version. But I've said I'd buy any game regardless just to enjoy my investment in this laptop I bought only to play games.

So, it's a buy, but maybe I can't hold out til June 1. I'll be starting over anyway now that I read here how to use my own name as player, I guess open, then exit to get that option. Not the first game I played that takes you right in as Player. I think it may be more fun for me as a reg casual player than the last one, and especially that graphics have improved, maybe the devs heard us squinters after all. As far as dark scenes, easy enough to tilt the screen to lighten borders up, had no problem with dark spots. Just those darn clovers like the last, some near invisible but I like looking, and love the click to get the image as well as the word clue. Not many games have that fav feature of mine.
Maybe if it weren't after 4am I'd continue download but I'll sleep on it rather than in first chapter

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on May 27, 11 5:28 AM
mycatluna wrote:
Average from other players ranges between 3 and 4 hours WITH bonus content, if that helps.

I'm curious how you arrived at this number. When I avereraged all the finished times posted by players, I came up with a 6.0 average.

Also, I think one needs to keep in mind with this game how people are playing. If someone is playing to get the achievements, their gameplay will take longer than someone who is not playing to get the achievements.

Edited on 05/27/2011 at 8:19:43 AM PST

Go to: