eulea76
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden

[Post New]by eulea76 on Aug 16, 11 7:15 PM
Really liked the game. Unusual puzzles, challenging **** scenes. A couple of things however.

1. The menu coming up when I took the cursor to the bottom of the screen when I wanted to access the inventory. A pain in the you know what. I prefer a button to access it.

2. A picture of a lobster in one of the last **** scenes for the clue of Cancer. Cancer is a crab not a lobster.

Great game otherwise. Keep them coming.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Sep 1, 11 9:55 AM
A fantasy-themed non-spooky ERS game?

Pros:
- Beautiful location and hidden object scene artwork.
- It was fun to restore people and objects from their amber state. (Pretty much the same idea appeared in Love Chronicles: The Spell. Not that much innovation in these types of games I know, but this seemed very specific.)
- I liked the counter on the inventory items where it showed you had e.g. 3/9 chessboard pieces, so you can easily see how many more you need to get. Collecting spell ingredients was fun.
- Minimal backtracking. It felt like the game was broken up into 5 or so areas with a several rooms in each that were self-contained in terms of the inventory items you needed to proceed.
- Puzzles were fun and nicely illustrated, although I would have liked to have seen more of them.

Cons:
- Story quibbles. (Spoiler: highlight to read) Okay, I don't take issue with the whole "big bad was defeated by the power of love!" thing, and they did a good job of dropping hints that the Dark Queen was Isolda, but why was her evil plan to show up after the King and Queen had been de-ambered to... amber them all again? Why not just amber the protagonist as she's running around, completely defenseless?

The Bottom Line:
Nice to see an ERS game that's not spooky! I like fantasy settings, so I really enjoyed the artwork. The game flowed really well--there was always another puzzle or hidden object scene or inventory item to use to keep going, and minimal backtracking.

A general comment on ERS games: The game mechanics, art style, music, etc. are all high quality, but they're also very similar, so I wouldn't recommend playing even playing two of them in a row as you'll get sick of it. Rotate in some Match 3 or TM or HOGs by other developers. Or take a long break between games.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Oct 4, 11 2:20 AM
This popped up as a bonus after I bought a Daily Deal. I knew nothing about it and you only have five minutes to decide, so I popped for it. BF is good about giving me a refund if it turns out I can't play it for any reason, such as itsy bitsy screens.

I just finished the game and its the best bonus I've bought so far! Loved the graphics and the play, could see everything great and didn't need a walkthrough. Didn't think the ending was quite up to the rest of the game, but not really an issue, since I had pretty much figured it out long before. I just really enjoyed the "Oh, gee, I'm a princess? Ok, lets go save my kingdom!" adventure feel. In spite of all the talk about how evil the wicked witch is, she barely shows up, and most of the scenes are light and bright. Minimal spiders, and I was only asked to find a corkscrew when it was appropriate.

I didn't feel it was all that short, just that "what, it's over? Rats, I was having fun." sensation I get with good games.

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Oct 4, 11 8:45 PM
Very enjoyable, lovely graphics, & nice story. Plus I thoroughly enjoyed the difference in the H0G scenes, a bit more interesting than the usual search & find.

guylou1525
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by guylou1525 on Oct 14, 11 11:01 AM
Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden is exactly my kind of game! perfect!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 16, 11 12:44 PM
Like ladydream I also got this as a pop up deal after I bought another game. So for $3.99 plus tax, I got a good deal.

This certainly isn't the best of the best games there are. This is an easier/laid back game, but it was a pleasant game. There were plenty of pick-ups, and while ERS never gives you hard puzzles they were enjoyable. Each area was contained somewhat so the backtracking was kept to a minimum.

The hint button was helpful, so you didn't need a walkthrough. I played on expert (there are 2 levels) which still gave me hint and skip options, although they still give you mega sparkles for hidden object scenes.

I liked the fairytale storyline for a change ( although don't examine the plot logically too much, as especially at the end, when you think about it, it doesn't make sense.) But at least for a SE the ending felt complete and that I wasn't missing out on anything.

An easier Sunday afternoon, relaxing game
.C+game. (That's quite a good mark for me!)

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 4, 11 9:00 PM
I loved this game!!! One of the best I've played. I usually expect games that have characters with pointy ears to be silly and irritating, so I was reluctant to even try the demo.

This game is neither too easy nor too difficult; the HOS are well done with some objects being easy and some hard to find. I did use the hint button occasionally, but that was mainly due to my lack of patience! I used the walkthrough once, and wouldn't have had to do it then if I'd had my thinking cap on. LOL!

I also liked that there are a lot of different locations to explore.

[Post New]by Ancientsymbols on Jan 5, 12 5:41 AM
I really enjoyed this game, it was a lot of fun and i didn't have to use any hints on this one, quite a nice change. Smile... :thumbu p:

guylou1525
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by guylou1525 on Jan 7, 12 2:19 PM
guylou1525 wrote:Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden is exactly my kind of game! perfect!

This game is so nice!!! I'd like to live in this world

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Mar 5, 12 5:50 PM
Lovely graphics and scenery. I liked the puzzles too. Worst acting ever, but that's ok. LOL

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Apr 1, 12 9:39 AM
This is a fantastic game. It's among the top 5 favorites of the 124 games I own. lol.

MORE please!!!!

Kat

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on May 3, 12 8:59 PM
Got this last week when it was a COTW, figuring that at $2.99 it had to be worth a try. I played it last night and couldn't sleep until I'd finished it. So many challenges! I agree with someone else who remarked that it felt rather like "Love Chronicles," but I like those games so that's okay by me. I really enjoyed almost everything about this game! The graphics were beautiful, the storyline was presented well, and the music was fantastic; it reminded me a lot of the Lord of the Rings score.

My only complaint was that the ending felt a little...abrupt. Not as bad as some (I'm looking at you, "Phenomenon: City of Cyan"!), but it would have been nice to see the story stretch out a little farther. On the whole, though, very glad I made the purchase and looking forward to playing the next "Spirits of Mystery" game, which is next on my list of to-be-played.

Edited on 07/30/2012 at 1:17:15 PM PST

Kamille_59
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Kamille_59 on Jul 2, 12 9:19 AM
Vivid graphics, great storyline, a little bit different from what I am used to. Still I like it!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jul 19, 12 8:54 AM
This game I liked and I've graded it A+++ which is highest in my realm!
I loved the theme, the graphics were very clear, the HOS scenes were fantastic.
I mean what else is there to say. ERS games are very cool!
Now on to another!

chit1ive
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by chit1ive on Oct 2, 12 2:31 PM
Great game. Loved the other Spirits of Mystery game I played too. I hope there will be lots more in this series. Things I liked: HOGs were clear--no things lurking in areas that were too dark to see on the screen; puzzles were challenging without being frustrating; above all, you didn't have to remember that there were items more than about five or six screens old. I hate having to remember that there was a thing I had to take care of back on the first screen when I'm already four hours into the game. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED unless you're a complete glutton for punishment. The only downside of this game was that is was too short. I could have done with at least another hour's-worth of play. That said, it was good value.

Go to: