shell_1965
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Inn: Driftwood

[Post New]by shell_1965 on May 29, 11 6:29 PM
thanx goofyduck, wasn't even gonna try this based on others opinion but you explained it enough so that i want to see for myself. sometimes it is nice to play a straight hidden object game!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on May 29, 11 9:24 PM
Definitely not a purchase for me. I read where soemone mentioned Gardenscapes. I love Gardenscapes, but this game is no comparision. I thought it was truly awful.

The graphics were not crisp enough to see a lot of the items. Hints were obtained by finding magnifying glasses, but with the poor graphics, three magnifying glasses per scene weren't enough. I disliked the fact that the first hint always just showed what the item looked like versus where it was located. I know what some of these items are. I don't want to waste a hint on a picture. If the graphics were clear enough, I wouldn't need the hint.

I got almost to the end of my demo and got an access violation code. I was able to go back in and complerte the hour, but there is no way I would purchase a game that errors during a demo.

If the game had clearer graphics, had not been so jerky and slow, hadn't had a bug, I would have thought about it, but besides the obvious problems, it just didn't play well for me. There was just something wrong with it as a whole.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 29, 11 10:25 PM
Comments after playing the whole game:

Since the sluggishness and most of the voice acting has been removed, I found that I was able to relax and enjoy it from beginning to end. I even left on the music most of the time.

The three different types of searches coupled with the extra helper items kept it interesting for me. The little added touch features helped also. Ironically, the magnifying glass to increase the hints was the hardest item for me to find. I didn’t really need them, though because if all else fails, the game will get your attention with a hint if you wait too long between clicks.

I had a lot of fun upgrading my inn and I love the way it turned out. It’s very beautiful.

I’m very happy with my purchase and I will play this again but, there are a couple of things that would have helped me to like it better.

I would have liked to enjoy the cleared and finished rooms more before the inn manager took over the screen and the view was quickly swept away. I kind of worked around this by waiting to click the last item on the 3rd visit to the room.

When the inn is completely restored and I wanted to step back and just admire it and look at the details, there was a dialog box popping up within a short time to interfere. I didn’t mind during play time but after I completed it, I would have preferred the inn manager to be quieter. She could have strolled around looking or had a seat on a bench and fanned herself or something. Perhaps she may have even gone inside to tend to the guests occasionally.

She’s a pleasant enough lady but, she really overwhelms the scene at times. On the other hand, the cat, I could never get enough of. I made it an imperative to click on it whenever I saw it and I even nicknamed it Snore.

Lastly, I would have loved to have the option to use my finished inn as wallpaper.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on May 29, 11 11:26 PM
Ugh. I guess this one goes in the "someday when I'm bored and it happens to be a DD" pile... maybe... might not even be worth the $3 bucks. Now if they ever offer it as a 99 cent special I'd grab it. LOL. I love the concept of upgrading the inn and that part was fun BUT... the H0 scenes are all so junkpile and repetitive. Blech. Music was annoying. Between the music (which I turned off) and the cluttered H0 scenes this one gave me a headache. I loved finding the coins and buying stuff to fix up the inn and I thought this would be an insta-buy for me but the cluttered junkpile scenes were just too much to take. I was so dissapointed too because as I said I really like the decorating portion... did I say I liked the decorating portion? Because I liked the decorating portion. And now you know a fraction of how repetitive the H0 scenes are... repeat rooms and repeat items between rooms (how many microphones does one inn need?!?!?!

Lazeedragon
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by Lazeedragon on May 29, 11 11:48 PM
i actually liked the game a little different from other hogs...when the ladys voice got on my nerves i just turned the sound down or off and u CAN do that in the settings too DUH! my only complaint about the game is finding all the stupid coins there are supposed to be 5 per scene. plus they put some of them down where u cannot get to them under the inventory pop up they really need to fix that and maybe make them a bit easier to locate! i went thru it 2x's and still could not locate all 5 in some scenes plus the magnifying glass as well was not at all in some scenes at all! maybe its a glitch idk but they should FIX IT! another reason i liked it tho was because it was not over 20 min after the hour was up LOL those ones really tick me off i feel i waisted my money on those...all u hog ppl u know what i mean...u really LOVE a game and after the hour is up u buy it then bam within 30 min its over what a disappointment. anyhow it is worth a try take care and God Bless y'all and Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by clockwork_daisy on May 30, 11 1:05 AM
Did the beta test of this game and there's no way I was going to fork out the dosh for the real thing! Wanted to stick a virtual pickaxe through that maid's head 10 minutes into the game. Graphics okay but music was repetitive. I hope for the sake of all who bought it that some of that got fixed.

[Post New]by GoLuckyPlayer111 on May 30, 11 3:00 AM
I just finished playing the trial version, and I must say I really enjoyed playing this game! I am new to Big Fish and all those dark and spooky games I can't play with my daughter. This game I am looking forward to playing with her it is a definite buy for me. I just loved upgrading the inn, and like that I could go back and change what I choose the last time. I also loved putting things back into the room, I wish there was even more of that. The graphics are great, and the music was relaxing. Even the caretaker was pleasant for me, she really helped me play the game, I wish more games had as clear as a tutorial as this game has.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 30, 11 3:27 AM
I very much enjoyed the demo and bought the game. I like this type of game, where you don`t just hunt for hidden objects, but have other things to do as well.

And yes, it`s a copy of Gardenscapes, and no, this manageress can`t hold a candle to the butler. But I don`t mind. I already have a butler that makes me smile, and a farmer and his grandson who also make me smile. So I don`t necessarily need yet someone else who makes me smile. So long the game is interesting, which this one is, I am happy. And I am glad a similar game has been made for us to enjoy. And this isn`t the first game where an idea has been copied - there are other games out there of which the same can be said.

Nicely done, developers.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on May 30, 11 6:25 AM
Well, I liked it. It was refreshing!

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on May 30, 11 6:47 AM
Definitely a lowgrade Gardenscapes imitation but I liked it anyway and bought the game right away. I had a very difficult day yesterday and this game really helped me get through it! I like a lot of the British expressions and accents so I actually enjoyed some of that. Decent length, you visit each scene three times to do different things, and then you are finished and can rent out the room.

It IS a fairly simple game but I am a fairly simple person and I just can't do all the games where you have to run back and forth 10X between scenes with dark and dastardly deeds having been done and intuit what you are supposed to do. In the past I did a few of those but they were few and far between at that point and now they are just too dark for me. Give me something lighthearted and fun and a bit of cute is OK too!

Music was OK and I liked the cat too. (I am most definitely a cat person) The housekeeper was a bit plastic-looking, sort of like an animated doll, but I didn't play the game for her. I enjoyed it, and am already on my second play. There are some different objects now and I am more used to finding the coins and magnifying glasses. Most likely, it isn't for those who like long, dark, involved, tricky games, like CE's.

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on May 30, 11 7:15 AM
I tried this game and immediately thought it must be a sequel to Gardenscapes. It's just a clone, but a pretty good one. Yes the housekeeper is annoying and she doesn't compare to the butler, though the cat is adorable. The graphics are bright and clear. I like the decorating aspect (although one of the house colors should have been white!). When you were placing objects in a room, it wasn't always obvious where an item belonged, and some of the H0 item descriptions were not always clear.

I liked the magnet, popper and the cat to help you find things. They were often more useful than the Hint which only showed you a picture. There were plenty in each room. The gold coins were hard to see, but I like that they were a challenge. The HOGs are a bit of a junkpile, but they fit the Victorian setting. (Victorian decorating ideas tended towards junkpile.) Items were well hidden.

If you prefer dark and spooky, and don't like too many HOG scenes, this game is not for you. If you want something fun and light, that you can walk away from for a couple of days and come back to without feeling lost. You should try this one. I am looking forward to the release of the Mac version.

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on May 30, 11 7:21 AM
A no buy for me!

That huge woman that blocks the screen with her talking is ridiculous! Why is that necessary? Also, it moves SOOO SLOOOOWWW! I played the demo and I'll bet 35 minutes was spent waiting for screenshots to load.

Not worth the $$ or credit..
Move along..nothing to see here!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 30, 11 7:28 AM
This game is similar to Gardenscapes but without the great graphic and gameplay. This game is average. With the sale today its a buy for me, but I wouldn`t pay the full price for this game.

12george
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by 12george on May 30, 11 7:45 AM
Love this game.it is relaxing and fun..i recommend it ....

Tamlin55
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by Tamlin55 on May 30, 11 9:10 AM
Boy, you all are a tough crowd to please! I would compare this game somewhat to Gardenscapes and Farmscapes, except there's no Match 3 games so far. You search for items in one room and then place the objects you've found in another room. You use the money you've earned to upgrade the lawns, flowers, paint finish, roof, etc. on the inn. The woman has a sweet English accent. If you're annoyed by that, you are easily irritated, that's all I can say about that. There is a penalty for over-clicking, but you really have to push the limit before you are penalized. I kind of like it -- the game is sweet and gentle and my hour flew by. I think it's a buy for me, especially this Memorial Day Weekend with the lower rates. At least give it a try -- you just might like it!

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on May 30, 11 12:48 PM
No buy for me... too cartoonish. The innkeeper was just too manic for me... she'd benefit from a little Prozac!!

mtgirl
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,151 Posts

[Post New]by mtgirl on May 30, 11 2:08 PM
No,just plain no after 10 minutes of the trial.Boring,annoying,and poor cartoonish visuals.

[Post New]by bellamina1957 on May 30, 11 3:18 PM
I did not like this game, some objects were way too small and hard to see. I won't be buying this one.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on May 30, 11 4:50 PM
Not for me. Items are way too small to find and I hate listening to the annoying England woman who won't take a hint no matter how many times I tell her I don't want help with the tutorial.

kathiebee
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by kathiebee on May 30, 11 5:06 PM
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!! OK, despite the fact that the little old lady can get a bit irksome, I love these type of games, and Gardenscapes and Farmscapes are my next 2 favourites.

I like "cutesy". It is a refreshing change from the doom and gloom murder mysteries and "ghostey grim" games. Whilst I have indulged in a few of these, when I find a game with these type of fresh, pretty graphics, I jump on it. I mean, we are not all gothic horror fans, guys. Some of us "oldies" actually like "cute and clean".

The only issue with the running of the game is that it occassionally exits on its own, without being asked. Other than that, it is a definite YES for me.

Go to: