mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

5 Minute demo times?? REALLY????

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 5, 11 7:00 PM
I had to rant. It really ruffles my feathers when people post "tried it for five minutes and then deleted. The game is horrible." Or something similar.

How in the world can one make a proper judgment of a game if they only play for five minutes? Is it even possible? I'm seeing a lot of that commentary with this game and with others as well in the review forum. Five minutes in this game would be long enough to create a profile, go through the intro video, enter the first scene and then *BAM*--delete.

I think at least a half hour is necessary in order to adequately review the game; otherwise, how can anyone get a feel for it at all?? Or is it just exaggeration on the part of the reviewer?

Anyway, had to get the rant out of the way. I don't take those types of reviews seriously. I like to hear from people who have actually PLAYED the game for more than ten minutes.

Okay, feeling better now.

Happy end of weekend everyone!

Cheers!

 
mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 5, 11 7:06 PM
Blackstaff wrote:
spiritdog51 wrote:Now any tips on eye drop giving I would love! I've tried the hot dog incentive to no avail. He has to take 5 different eye drops 2x a day (1 is 4x a day), and they have to be given with at least a 5 minute wait in between. That adds up, time wise. He does a lot of head turning, he doesn't want the drops, especially the right eye.
Awww...so sorry to hear about puppy troubles.

Try wrapping him in a large warm fluffy towel, basically securing his legs so he can't kick/fight. Either lay down with him, with your head next to his head, and holding him gently but firmly in position with arms/towel - or have someone else doing this.
Talk to him - coo at him really - and reach over to firmly but gently hold the snout still while gently touching the eye area to prepare it for the drops.

You should just practice that process like three or four times, each time with lots of praise and followed with a treat. That way love, cuddles, and yummies are associated without pain or discomfort or anxiety.

Then give it a try when it's time to medicate. Don't let him see the dropper/bottle though, instead keep it low and close to the head and out of the line of sight - it will immediately cause anxiety - and quickly apply the drops. Follow that up with cuddle, praise, and treats - just like before, and see if this helps with lowering his anxiety and your worry/frustration.

Good luck!


That stinks! But parents know best! We have mice and due to poor breeding (blasted pet store that starts with a P and ends with an O) does not get quality breeders so our little babies have chronic upper respiratory disease. Watching my fiance give our little mice their antibiotics is entertaining. They are quick, small, and totally ticked off. I'd take medicating a dog over a mouse anytime! All that aside, best of luck to you and your puppy. The warm towel to minimize movement is a great tip. If the puppy does well, follow up with a small treat. They catch on quick and will soon take meds easier if a treat is to follow and they know it makes them feel better. I used to foster animals so I've had to medicate all kinds of animals, small and big. The two combined has always seemed to work well. Best of luck!!

 
mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 5, 11 7:11 PM
Spur1 wrote:I test drove this one and I have to say I will not be buying it. It has way to much conversation in it...I want to play not read. Some of the hidden object scenes you could not tell what was what. I actually quit after about 20 or 30 minutes. I would be weary of this game. Sorry...most of the games I like, this one was a huge disappointment.


I love games with dialogue! But I love to read so I'm a book-worm and in this case I guess that would carry over to a computer dialogue-worm??? Hmmm...that makes no sense.

Anywho-I love a game with a great story but I see how it could annoy others. I do have other gripes about the game but I did get it with a coupon. All in all, it's not too bad. There have been better and there have been MUCH worse. The length is decent at least!

 
mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

5 Minute demo times?? REALLY????

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 6, 11 2:34 PM
CasualGran wrote:
mycatluna wrote:I had to rant. It really ruffles my feathers when people post "tried it for five minutes and then deleted. The game is horrible." Or something similar.

How in the world can one make a proper judgment of a game if they only play for five minutes? Is it even possible? I'm seeing a lot of that commentary with this game and with others as well in the review forum. Five minutes in this game would be long enough to create a profile, go through the intro video, enter the first scene and then *BAM*--delete.

I think at least a half hour is necessary in order to adequately review the game; otherwise, how can anyone get a feel for it at all?? Or is it just exaggeration on the part of the reviewer?

Anyway, had to get the rant out of the way. I don't take those types of reviews seriously. I like to hear from people who have actually PLAYED the game for more than ten minutes.

Okay, feeling better now.

Happy end of weekend everyone!

Cheers!



IMO this 'rant' is against people's freedom to post a comment about a game the way they want to.


Not at all and I apologize if it was construed that way. This is, in fact, my personal rant, posted in the rant section as opposed to being rude and posting it in the reviews. I never said they should not post, my question was, how can it be an accurate review? And that I (meaning personally) do not take those types of reviews seriously.

Had I said that they should never be posted at all, it would be a different story. But I did not say that, nor do I believe that to be the case. And along those same lines, I am exercising my freedom to rant, as you did your freedom to respond. I don't see my rant as being disrespectful in the least although I appreciate your commentary but I urge you to re-read it and see that I never asked anyone to stop posting. I will leave my rant as is.

 
Blackstaff
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by Blackstaff on Jun 6, 11 2:49 PM
Heh - I got the same type of fin slap yesterday, but it was phrased ever so much more politely than what you got, mycatluna. I left my comment as it was as well and it was in the same line of logic as your post.

I guess we both go in to the 'bad fishie bowl' for a time out now, huh?

 

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by meandstan on Jun 6, 11 8:47 PM
vampire mansion...hate this game, anyone else feel the same..??

 
Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 6, 11 10:36 PM
@Blackstaff, I'm curious what six games you would rank lower than Vampire Mansion? I didn't like the game, but found myself wondering after reading your post!

 
tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jun 7, 11 9:38 AM
Chit Chat: Hi everyone! Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Rant: I want another Dire Grove or game as good as it was!!

Other Comment: I won't go into a review of Vampire Mansion as many very good ones have already been posted, but I will definitely agree with the negative posts - I just don't like this game.

 
Blackstaff
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by Blackstaff on Jun 7, 11 9:55 AM
Lucy1997 wrote:@Blackstaff, I'm curious what six games you would rank lower than Vampire Mansion? I didn't like the game, but found myself wondering after reading your post!
The "I Spy" games qualify IMO. Gah! And let's not get started on anything offered up by HdO {like 'curse of the 30 denarii - *shudders*}. We got slammed with a plethora of games of horrendous type in March/April this year and one of those was beyond enough. There was one, I can't even recall it's name, which was set in India and involved - if I remember correctly - a woman with minor psychic ability rescued from the slums who worked for a detective agency ran by an overbearing boss who always threatened to fire her and happily took credit for the hard work she did. Wow, I can't even believe I remember the plot, it was that bloody awful.

@ CasualGran,

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I mine, and mycatluna theirs and we are all free to voice those opinions politely and none of which are in violation of forum rules.

If ALL comments are welcome, then ALL comments are welcome, even those with which we may personally disagree, so long as they follow the rules of the forum.

You say "If you don't want to read them, well, don't, and leave it at that." Good advice, but it works both ways, otherwise it comes down to what was said previously: "IMO this 'rant' is against people's freedom to post a comment about a game the way they want to."

I totally get why some dislike this game, I just personally don't have it on my "worst of the worst" list. The panning screen side/side up/down, the odd controls which one can get used via a love/hate relationship. The dialog drags & it's a straight HOG vs iHOG.

It really comes across as a 'middle of the road' type game to me. For instance, when I saw "Snark Busters 2" I was like a wriggly puppy on Christmas day, I was that excited and I was not disappointed either. This game though, elicited more of a "hmmm...let's wait and see" attitude and that's totally because I didn't quit out of frustration - not that others can't or shouldn't do that cause if you don't like it, then hey, you don't like it - and instead I played the demo all the way through {some might say that was brave of me - others may not be so kind}.

I'm still considering purchasing this one, but I do have other games on my "buy list" first.

Edited on 06/07/2011 at 10:00:23 AM PST


 
mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 7, 11 2:29 PM
Blackstaff wrote: Heh - I got the same type of fin slap yesterday, but it was phrased ever so much more politely than what you got, mycatluna. I left my comment as it was as well and it was in the same line of logic as your post.

I guess we both go in to the 'bad fishie bowl' for a time out now, huh?


How's your time-out going? Lol. I've been in the 'bad fishie bowl" a few times for not going with the status quo, I suppose, but I digress. I still maintain that neither of us said anything wrong or out of line. Anyhow...

Love your follow-up post to some of the worst games out there. Made me laugh. I'm in agreement with all the ones you listed, especially HdO games. Phew-they don't get much worse than that.

In my post in the reviews section, I also labeled this game "middle of the road". Not the worst, not the best, but not too bad overall. Glad to hear you played through the demo

Cheers

 
Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:Chit Chat, Rants and Other Comments

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 8, 11 12:48 AM
Blackstaff wrote:
Lucy1997 wrote:@Blackstaff, I'm curious what six games you would rank lower than Vampire Mansion? I didn't like the game, but found myself wondering after reading your post!
The "I Spy" games qualify IMO. Gah! And let's not get started on anything offered up by HdO {like 'curse of the 30 denarii - *shudders*}. We got slammed with a plethora of games of horrendous type in March/April this year and one of those was beyond enough. There was one, I can't even recall it's name, which was set in India and involved - if I remember correctly - a woman with minor psychic ability rescued from the slums who worked for a detective agency ran by an overbearing boss who always threatened to fire her and happily took credit for the hard work she did. Wow, I can't even believe I remember the plot, it was that bloody awful.

Thanks, Blackstaff! I haven't played the "I Spy" games, so I'll be sure to give them a miss, but I too don't like HdO games so we are in total agreement there. There were two Indian games that were the subject of controversy (though, lol, I can't remember the names of either!). I think the one you are referring to led to a discussion about sexism and orientalism (with extensive pro- and contra- commentary on the forum). The other game was problematical from a technical point of view, but was a first effort that actually showed some promise.

Thanks for answering my question!

 
 
 
 
Go to: