staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Temple of Night Collector's Edition

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Jun 16, 11 7:49 PM
Hi everyone

Overall, I enjoyed the demo very much, and I am kind of confused as to why this game is getting such a negative reaction from most of the fishes. I like it, and I think it has many qualities that make it appealing-the graphics are high quality, the music is catchy( if you don't like it turn it down), the puzzles are on the easier side but they are varied, and the HOG scenes are pleasant and relaxing( I especially like the ones where you put stuff back where it belongs). I played on hard mode and had no trouble finding out where to go or what to do, and I like exploring on my own with no help and this game nudges you a little but it is not bad at all.

I love the interactive feature that changes the room from day to night, it's borderline genius and adds so much to the game. The themes are dark and spooky but not macabre and it is all tongue and cheek anyway, the cheesy reporter tapes crack mup especially, so you know that it is all going to be okay in the end.

I would say give the game a chance and decide for yourself if it's for you. Not everyone likes all the HOG games that come along and it's great that there is something for everyone. This is not the worst CE edition to come out by a long shot, and it is not the best ever either ( aka Raincliff), but it is alot of fun with many creative touches that are charming and fun to look at and explore. Give it a chance,it might surprise you. I wanted to play more when the trial ended so that is how I know that the game is worth buying.

My grade system:

Gameplay: B+
Music: B ( can be annoying)
Graphics: B+
HOG scenes: B+
Mode of Gameplay( Hard Mode?):B

My Overall Grade- B+

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Temple of Night Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jun 16, 11 7:54 PM
Dear Dancemom1,

ever since I played Tiny Bang, where you couldn't skip any puzzles, I have been trying to face my imperfections and improve my performance. I totally agree with you: I could click drawers until the cows come home and still not light on the right combination!

I understand many of the puzzles: sliders don't bother me and I like the pipe puzzles, though both can take some work, but I just don't understand the drawer puzzles conceptually, and I'm trying to learn to do them on my own. The only justification I have for being a purist (beyond preparing for the next installment of Tiny Bang) is a sort of ridiculous stubbornness: use the strategy guide that I pay for, oh, no! LOL.

I totally agree that this game required a lot of wear on the sneakers, and I'm still a bit divided about whether to purchase it. The only reason I'm tempted is that the bonus content apparently includes the mini-games....

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 16, 11 7:56 PM
I read many of the comments in this forum and would like to add my thoughts. I see I am not the only one concerned with the download. I thought it might have been my PC but many had this problem. It took forever to load and then 20 min. or more just to activate. I was getting concerned and thinking of dumping it.
Really glad I didn't!! Contrary to many of the reviews I have read I enjoyed this demo very much.

I like:
the way you can change the rooms with light and dark.
the hidden object scenes are interactive and relatively easy.
some of the scenes require you to return objects to their proper places.
the music kept me pumped up.
that there are many puzzles to keep you thinking but they are not so difficult that you get discouraged. Since they were easier I never checked for a skip button.

I loved:
that when you find tapes you get to watch the news and actually see the story play out.

Worried about:
the length. I am afraid that it may be to short for a CE.
the mini games getting repetitive. Didn't seem like a very big variation there.
paying $13.99 and feeling disappointed.

Many of us purchase several games a month and I wish that when these CE's come out we had some way to determine length. There is no walk through of course and the guide in this one will not let you go further than what you have played so you have no way of knowing how much you completed in the demo.

I really want to buy this but am still debating about waiting for the SE. I f I do I don't get the bonus play and will hope that it's not to short.
I am soooo confused

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Jun 16, 11 9:13 PM
finished the demo earlier this afternoon, kinda reminded me ofa certain mystery tracker where the kids go missing anf leave tapes everywhere. I enjoyed it though I can see aloy of running back and forth between scenes coming up if I went ahead a bought it . I say if because even though I enjoyed it it didn't leave me with the I have got to play this through right now feeling. so I'll probably wait on this one a bit. well worth doing the demo.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 16, 11 9:33 PM
tofinofish wrote:finished the demo earlier this afternoon, kinda reminded me ofa certain mystery tracker where the kids go missing anf leave tapes everywhere. I enjoyed it though I can see aloy of running back and forth between scenes coming up if I went ahead a bought it . I say if because even though I enjoyed it it didn't leave me with the I have got to play this through right now feeling. so I'll probably wait on this one a bit. well worth doing the demo.

My first impression was "Ghostbusters" - the first film!

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Jun 16, 11 9:36 PM
tofinofish wrote:finished the demo earlier this afternoon, kinda reminded me ofa certain mystery tracker where the kids go missing anf leave tapes everywhere.

Umm..that was Mystery Case Files ire Grove , where kids go missing and you find their tapes-just letting ya know.
Mystery Trackers: Raincliff is similar (almost a copy) but you have to find frogs.
Not trying to be mean

On another note,I'll try this game but I have a burning credit to use too....

edited cuz of spelling error

Edited on 06/16/2011 at 9:39:08 PM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Jun 16, 11 10:30 PM
I tried hard not to like this game, but for me there is nothing to dislike. I had a lot of technical issues at first but it seems it was of my own making. I straightened that out. From the beginning I liked the music. The scenery was nice. After a while the hidden objects scenes become a little testy but with some effort you can survive that. I just cant get over how the longer you play the better you like it. Lots of places to go and go again and again and plenty of busy work. Ive been playing for hours and still not into the bonus games yet. Like the old saying goes, you never know til you try and im glad i tried. Good game

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 16, 11 10:39 PM
No problems with this game at all. I enjoyed every moment of it and some of the puzzles are quite difficult. A couple I had to skip because I could not figure them out. I liked the interaction with objects, the stor was good and the graphics very nice. I kept thinking the game was over, but another door would open to another area which went to other areas. Overall, this is a very good game and lasted a long time. The bonus game is also fun and somewhat difficult. Have a good time with this one, and send us more like this BF. Stop offering those drop-down games or frenzy games. Concentrate on HOGs with lots of surprises. Will spend money on those only. Thanks BF, this was fun.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jun 16, 11 10:53 PM
Well my impression of the game is simply that it was pure enjoyment. I needed joy in my life today and the game afforded me just what I was looking for.

I did not use the SG and I suspect others will experience this as well. The game is clever, cut scenes and journal were intelligently presented. The art work was astounding. The HOG scenes had well placed objects providing for a satisfying seek and find. I enjoyed the presentation of lighting/lighting off, well done.

The developers and production team you did a bang up job and I am most appreciative of the effort.

Enjoyed playing your game.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 16, 11 11:17 PM
Hi there,
This is a comment not a review after finishing the game.
For those of you wondering about the length, well, even in the more advanced mode I finished the major part of the game in just over 3 1/2 hours, but I did skip 2 puzzles that were driving me to distraction (and I too had to cheat by using the SG Lucy to solve the Drawer puzzles as I didn't have the patience to complete them myself. LOL), so I suppose you could add extra time except if you're a puzzle wizz - I just wanted to get on with the game.
However, there are two Bonus games this time, and it actually took me longer to complete them because I used the "puzzles" extra to practice the ones I had previously skipped to see if I could complete them myself - almost did!!
This is not the most difficult of games for experienced gamers. Yes, there is a lot of running around (as we should expect by now), but I found my pathway through the game was most enjoyable.
OK, not the stellar offering we were maybe waiting for (mind you, what is these days?), but a very pleasant way to pass the time (except for those drawers!!) and worth my money for the extras (puzzle practice and bonus games).
And, whilst I usually have the music fairly low, I just loved it when the didgeridoo joined in!!
Cheers

Edited on 06/16/2011 at 11:19:00 PM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 16, 11 11:35 PM
DragonLadyOz, I also like this game and it is nice to see, that overnight here, a lot more people seem to like it.
I found the music irritating and turned it down but would have loved to hear the didgeridoo
As someone else said, maybe I am not hard to please, the gameplay is good. I am only in Chapter 2.
DragonLadyOz, could you let us know, how long the bonus games were, if you have the time please?
Have fun all and enjoy this if you buy it.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 16, 11 11:38 PM
i will say this for them... there might only be three chapters listed for this game, but they have got to be the longest chapters i have ever seen in a HOPA! wow

in the demo, i was able to play through to about 2/3 of the first chapter, i think, and although the game was a little jumpy, i felt i was moving along at a rather rapid pace... i never got to a point where i said - ok, what now? it seemed that the whole thing was very story driven and also very linear it was like... solve this puzzle to get an inventory item you can use to unlock the next puzzle... when you solve that one we'll give you another piece of something you can use at the next thing...

then... the bouncing back and forth between the hotel and the hospital was one thing, but adding the light and the dark... it was one crazy web of hidey holes... then toss in the sheriff's station, and you better strap on that second pair of sneakers...

don't get me wrong, i loved that bit... changing the light to switch up the scenes... it really allowed the developer to cram twice the game into half the space! and orneon doesn't do anything halfway! the aztec motif in itself was enough to entice me to play... forget the journalist friend who will more than likely be the last soul to bring about the end of the world as we know it... and how that really relates to anything frankly, i would have liked it better if we were playing the investigative journalist and happened to stumble into this mess ourselves... why create a storyline where there's an additional person to be saved when we're really looking at saving the whole d@mn world??? just what's going on, huh?

anyway, as much as i liked the motifs, the graphics, the sound/music... and as much as i'm thinking two bonus chapters?, i'm still wondering if this one feels like CE quality... i mean, quantity is one thing, but i want quality... so i'm going to wait to hear what some of you think after having played and finished it...

is the game as in depth the whole way through? are the bonus chapters as captivating as the main game? if you got really stumped on something, did you find the SG helpful? [because we all know that they can be pretty obtuse ]

once i learn some of these things in the next few days, i will decide whether it's in my best interest to buy now or wait for the SE...

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 16, 11 11:40 PM
and lord knows i will probably have to wait forever because it has been well over a month since the release of city of fog as a CE and that one still hasn't been released as an SE product! what??

oh, well... more money for me, more money for me

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 16, 11 11:51 PM
jennsmom wrote:... it would be nice to play a game again that didn't involve a rescue that's pretty much SOSO. In fact, I just redownloaded Love Stories: Letters From the Past to play again for that very reason...

a sequel is in the works and should be seen sometime in the near future... it's called love story: the beach cottage and is actually better than the first IMO.. check the CCC thread for sneak peeks to get my whole review of the beta... i think it's pages 68-69

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jun 17, 11 12:56 AM
rhorho wrote:LOL thanks angelfish, I had not noticed. I just thought they were made by the same person. I guess I am having a duh moment.

Awwww don't worry, I have lots of those moments Perhaps BFG think it's a good way to recognise a CE when looking through your games?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 17, 11 1:26 AM
TeamSD wrote:I actually don't quite like game from Orneon, i found Echoes of the Past an average game and also don't like Anomalies.

I own both games and like them both. I very much enjoyed the demo (played for 45 minutes), but because so many fishies had trouble with the police station, I went there as soon I was able to, to make sure I didn`t have the same trouble. But I did. The game "froze" in the police station. At least, I wasn`t able to do anything after the H0 scene except go back to the Main Menu. And once I got back to into the game, I only got a black screen - like others. So I am now waiting for an updated version, because I really like this game and want to buy it, but not with this glitch.

jaylake
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by jaylake on Jun 17, 11 4:24 AM
I finished the game and to be honest I was quite impressed. I must be getting brain cobwebs as I did not find it easy at times as was suggested by others. I must admit that I did not experience the glitches in the running of the game that others experienced and I know how frustrating this can be.
The graphics were fine the game thread good and to be honest the only minor moan I have is that they could be a little longer and then that would be a perfect world.

All in all it was an Ok game.

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jun 17, 11 6:00 AM
Wasn't loving the game and then had the same problem at the police station as so many others. Wasn't meant to be....deleting the demo.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Jun 17, 11 6:18 AM
Following some feedback from the pond and in light of some of the recent issues that have arisen in game threads, the Moderation Team has come to the decision to condense all comments and reviews discussions to the following threads:

Your Comments and Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Temple of Night Collector's Edition

Chit Chat, Rants and Other Chaos!
------------------------------------------------------------------
I see nothing wrong with this and I guess I just don't get what the problem is. Why is a "new subject" needed when we can post in either of the above game-related areas? What's wrong with being tidy and keeping comments together under one subject they relate to? It's just me but I hate going through pages and pages of "subject" postings to read what's liked or not liked about a specific game. If you have something to say that is not game-related isn't that what Chit-Chat is for?

Anyway I tried the demo and thought the game was really cool but am still on the fence about buying it. I liked the rooms changing between light and dark. Some are saying game is too short which I don't like.

kathey12
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by kathey12 on Jun 17, 11 10:28 AM
GREAT GAME!!
First, please let me say thank you for the creativity, time and efforts that went into making this game! Switching the lights to switch time periods was a FANTASTIC concept...new and creative!
I am ready for the sequel, the next adventure in Asia!
This game was an adventure game, which I adore!
There were several times that I was stumped, but did not refer to the strategy guide. I enjoyed going back and forth looking for the necessary items in which to move onto the next part. Whew....that Hexagon puzzle was a doozy!
I couldn't believe the bonus was almost as long as the first part of the game!! What a treat to not only have the bonus, but the mini games to replay as well.
I also really enjoyed the different type of **** games, some placing objects, some finding objects, and lastly, being able to retrieve the "final object".
This game was thoroughly enjoyable!
BRAVO!

Go to: