sportygal2009
Salmon
Salmon
2,503 Posts

Re:Review for Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sportygal2009 on Jul 3, 11 10:57 PM
Yet another game right up my alley - dark/fantasy type of game that is pretty similar to the game Drawn. The one and only downside I found to this game was no voice overs. I pretty much knew when I first started playing this it would be a buy for me. I very much enjoyed the story and didn't mind the cut scenes at all.

Overall, 1/2 stars from me.

Thanks

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Jul 4, 11 5:21 AM
Is anyone else having a problem w/seeing or getting to the inventory @ the bottom of the screen? I've changed out of aspect ratio which helped, but still can't get to my inventory. Appreciate any feedback! hideobjectaddict

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Jul 4, 11 10:56 AM
Awesome! Absolutely loved it right from the start. Funny how some games just grab you like that. Great story, good graphics, difficult enough to make you work out, but not so hard you give up trying. Occasional laugh from the spooky bits, but won't play it with my granddaughter around as she gets freaked out by that kind of thing (Emily's portrait going grotty in Mum's room etc).
Don't buy CE versions as I just don't think they are worth the extra, but I can't wait for the SE to come out.
Well done on this one, if only every HOG game was this enjoyable - except then I'd be broke...............

[Post New]by winolot on Jul 4, 11 1:34 PM
I have completed this game twice but have not have enough origanisa. really fed up if I miss one cannot go back begining to give up

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jul 4, 11 2:08 PM
another great game.. thanks BF. besides getting stuck at the 12 eyes (I uninstalled, reinstalled and started over with a different profile to get past that) and then having a white screen before I went into the forest (although I could still move my arrow and go forward and backward), I finished. Very long and fun game. The extra game play was long too. Any word when I will see a new "Mortimer Beckett"?

Ceorl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Ceorl on Jul 4, 11 3:04 PM
This is an nice easy game to play with the usual hidden objects and slight variations on how to find them. The puzzles are good and not to difficult to solve. I personally enjoyed the light hearted nature of the game. The Extras give lessons on how to create some origami subjects. All in all, I enjoyed the layout and did not find myself running about here and there looking for clues. This game delves in the world of child fantasy that entails abduction and manipulation by dark forces called Extractors. This is not the best storyline to consider but most of CE's have some evil that needs to be eradicated in order to free the enslaved, imprisoned and possessed.Being a better observer in life is a gift of your own making.
Being a hero is something else.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 4, 11 3:37 PM
Before I've tried the demo, I was like thinking that I wouldn't like it at; but I changed my mind about it after I've tried the demo. I must say that I thoroughly enjoy it a lot. I was very intrigue, from the very beginning of the game; it got me going.

I've to agree with everyone's comments about the beautiful graphics and not so intrusive music.

I might consider in purchasing the game when the SE version comes out.

The developers of this game has done a fabulous job. Way the go, devs!

Edited on 07/04/2011 at 3:38:07 PM PST

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Jul 4, 11 7:32 PM
I liked this game, great graphics and puzzles that were not too hard to figure out.
Good story and skip puzzle feature, hints not always helpful, but build in SG overcomes that.
I buy CE Editions for the Bonus games more than the strategy guide, as the games always seem too short.
This was a good one, no jerky pointers, smooth graphics.
Thanks BFG!

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jul 4, 11 9:15 PM
After reading the comments, I downloaded this without doing the demo, and had no problems at all with the eyes.

This was an outstanding game! I loved it from the very beginning and played through in one setting, probably a good 6 hours. Like others have said, it reminded me very much of the "Drawn" games.

Wonderful graphics, a good story line, and very clever and unique puzzles. The interactivity inside the hidden object scenes, having to complete 2, 3, or even 4 steps to get an item, with an occasional puzzle inside the hidden object scene is delightfully refreshing. The transformations of a desert world to a lush green world was so very charming. Well done and very creative!

The bonus game was long, and took a unique twist showing the story line from a different character's point of view. Nice touch. The long cut scenes to set the story and acquaint the player with the characters was nicely done. I only needed the SG a couple of times, as it's fairly easy to figure out what to do next.

This ranks right up there with Raincliff and Phantasmat for one of the three best games of the year. Well done, developers - a 5 game!

findlaybears
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by findlaybears on Jul 6, 11 1:39 PM
I totally agree with Lady Cav when she wrote that this game was "outstanding"! I'm glad that I purchased the CE because it really added to the game. Excellent graphics, LOTS of variation of gameplay, and a great storyline to boot! I had no technical difficulties at all, so it was a smooth playing for me. In total, the game took me about 4 1/2- 5 hours to complete (including the extra episode). I did skip a couple minigames and referred to the SG a few times, but there is still no complaints here!

Thank you , for a very fun game!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 6, 11 2:44 PM
"Phantasmat" and several games from ERS always were my absolute favourite games, and I never thought that any other developer may be able to get close to give me as much enjoyment with HOGs.

But then, along came "Nightmare Realm", and I am fascinated with this game. Not only are the graphics first class, but gameplay is one of the best I have ever seen.

I am so in love with this game. Just wanted to say "thank you" to the game makers, and I do hope to see more of the same.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jul 6, 11 6:09 PM
What a fantastic game!! The graphics are just too beautiful for words, story line was the same,(mother does what it takes to find her lost child)...yet different (uncle vindicates himself)...

For everyone waiting for the SE to come out... you are missing a really great bonus game!! It's long play and really makes the story come full circle. I can't tell you how sad I was when this game was over... I just wanted MORE!!

I can't wait for the next game from this developer... the bar has been set, I hope they just keep getting better and better and don't rest on their laurels...

in my book!! Enjoy!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 7, 11 1:33 PM
Well, I have now finished the bonus game, and apart from the ending, where I had a "huh? what happened?" moment, this was a really well-done and long enough extra game, which I enjoyed very much. In fact, this was the best bonus game I have played so far.

Pootie49
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Pootie49 on Jul 7, 11 7:04 PM
Just finished the game and loved it. Wonderful graphics and the storyline gripped me from the start. It was a nice,long game and the bonus section was well worth the money. The puzzles were unique. Nice to have a change of pace and not see the same old puzzles rehashed.

Looking forward to more games like these.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 8, 11 4:27 AM
WOW! I'll say it again--WOW! What a beautiful game! Although I haven't travelled all the way to the end yet, I'm very impressed with everything I've seen so far.

The intro is a real "cliffhanger" (pun intended); the Options menu includes things that I give +s to--screen choice, cursor choice ("game" one was good), 3 sound EFX "sliders." And what an absorbing storyline! Cute (and I mean WAY adorable) little girl does sketches that come to life, and not necessarily in a GOOD way. We go about unravelling this adventure through Mom's eyes. This one could have really used voice acting, but the subtitled dialogue fits well and isn't overly wordy. I like how the characters turn to look at you when you scroll over them--neat effect, developers!

We've got a journal which updates often; we've got an integrated SG which remembers where you left off (BIG +); and we've got a re-upping hint system (no hunting for clover leaves or smoking pipes)! Graphics are some of the best I've ever seen ("water-color" perfect); hidden-object scenes are sometimes full of interaction; inventory-item use? Thinking cap required as often as not!

I can't comment on game length or the Bonus-episode quality, 'cuz I'm not there yet, but I see glowing reports from other astute reviewers! From what I've seen, this developer and have brought us a very good summertime treat!

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 4:38:43 AM PST

LadyGecko
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by LadyGecko on Jul 8, 11 5:33 PM
Kelvarda wrote:Story: Father, 4 yr old daughter and Uncle travelling in car......

"Uncle"??? Nobody that THAT naive.

I loved the opening, but after confirming that I was not mistaken, I will not be purchasing the game.

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jul 8, 11 7:37 PM
I liked this game it struck me as a cross between Enlightenus and Drawn--but I liked it much better than Drawn--I really struggled with that game and gave up in frustration even with the stragegy guided. Beautiful artwork, but kind of strange story line.

If you are looking for a horror game, this isn't it--the fantasy worlds can be a little dark but not "nightmarism" by any stretch. If you are looking for a cute fantasy game then it will be your cup of tea. I reccomend playing the demo before buying.

I couldn't find all the oragamis--I hope I didn't miss any additional scenes or content because I failed to do so.

I had thought this story was about a gay couple at first and I was a little dissapointed when I found out I was mistaken. That is an angle none of these games has expolored yet--it would be interesting and fun if Big Fish did a game with an unconventional family.

I must give an A plus for the animations, it's amazing how far these HOG games have come since the earlier ones.

Edited on 07/08/2011 at 7:44:43 PM PST

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Jul 10, 11 5:51 AM
My grade system:

Gameplay: A
Music: A
Graphics: A
HOG scenes: A
Mode of Gameplay ( Hard Mode?):A

My Overall Grade- A

This is a wonderful HOPA game that was a joy to play. I bought it sight unseen and am so glad I did. I had so much fun. The graphics are stunningly beautiful, the music is lovely, the HOG scenes are challenging and interactive, and the puzzles are nicely done. I played in expert mode and there were minimal sparkles ( only with the HOG scenes indicated) so those who like challenges can work things out for themselves. The game took me about 4 ½ hours to play in total so I feel like I got my money’s worth for sure.

The story is imaginative and I appreciated that. A girl is kidnapped by evil forces and her mother is trying to find her, but elements of the story that are familiar are changed around to seem fresh and exciting. Gameplay is fluid and easy to navigate. I also loved looking for the origami pieces scattered throughout the game,that added an extra fun factor. The bonus game available after finishing the regular game really adds to the story and I also loved the origami tutorial in the extra section as well. Overall, a wonderful game, that is definitely worth checking out.

Mum22
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by Mum22 on Jul 10, 11 6:40 PM
This is an awesome game. I loved the graphics and music. I have to say I was hesitant to purchase it, considering all the technical issues in the early days of its release. I loved the demo, so just had to purchase it....I did as was requested and started a new profile and deleted the old one. I only had one glitch at the end of the regular episode I couldn't get the knife to cut the last rope on the sarcophigus (sp?). I exited and went back in and had no trouble. I also had no troubles with the bonus episode - even though I failed to find 2 of the origami --- Just means I have to go back and play it again

Thanks BFG and developers for fixing the problems quickly. I hope you make more games like this.....I loved the storyline.

I give it 5 Fish -

Edited on 07/10/2011 at 6:40:54 PM PST

LadyGecko
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by LadyGecko on Jul 10, 11 7:43 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I'd wager that there was a wee bit of homophobia going on there.

Then you would surely lose.

So...if I believe that adultery is wrong, would I have a 'phobia' about that? Would it be a 'narrow box' to not support it?

Go to: