Lazeedragon
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

Re:Review for Vampire Saga - Welcome To Hell Lock

[Post New]by Lazeedragon on Jul 9, 11 2:17 PM
i agree with timekilla as well! this sequel is NOT near as good as the 1st one which i have got it at wally world with 3 other games hey a deal is a deal lol
anyway i may buy this when it is the 2.99 price i give it a 2 out of 5
if u r a beginner hog person this is perfect for you! if ur a veteran hog player this is a no brainer game u dont need a "walkthrough" and u will be sorely disappointed altho the story is not bad personally i am not a comic book person when it comes to my games been there and done that with nintendo and snes i think i am more graduated than that now ya think? lol but if ur totally addicted to hog's then do play the demo and c if u like it...is not everyones taste but then if we all liked the same things then there would be NO opinions really if u think about it hehe tc and happy gaming
Lazee ^^

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Jul 9, 11 3:38 PM
I enjoyed this game. I agree with others that mentioned it wasn't challanging. I would not have had to use a walkthrough even if one had been available, but it was fun to play. I might just be grateful since the selection has been so poor lately, and my backlog of games is sadly depleted.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 9, 11 4:06 PM
Well,I like this game and am enjoying playing it. I had done the beta awhile ago, and even with the, to me, minor flashes, and the sparkles I found the game challenging. Not pulling my hair out, begging for a walkthrough with frustration, but putting these brain cells to work in a fun way. I was not impressed with the last two hogs, but I am having a good time with this one.

sunnyrocks
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyrocks on Jul 9, 11 4:07 PM
Well I just finished the game, I really liked it a lot. Yes a lot of sparkles and hand holding, however it still toolk me a long time to play, maybe 6 hours, I play slow and stopped a lot. There are so many areas there is no way I could have remembered which area I needed to use on all the inventory items, some I did some I did not remember. So the pictures came in handy when needed. To extend game length you do not have to use the pictures to get to each location if you do not want to.

This game was very relaxing to play and the HOG's were very easy to find. It is worth the money I feel anyway, I played the demo on the last 2 CE's and this one is a SE and is far better. The last to SE's have so many problems that I won't even buy them when they come out as SE unless they fix them.

Guess what? I did not even have to change my screen resolution to play this.one. Even though it is on the very easy side I think most will enjoy it any way. Good story line as well, I'm pretty sure there will be another sequel, maybe next time with optional sparkles.

Hope this helps anyone that is thinking about buying this game.

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Jul 9, 11 4:57 PM
I enjoyed the whole demo; didn't think I would like it at first, but got caught up in it. I definitely would have gone on playing for a couple of hours if the demo hadn't ended. The sparkles don't bother me all that much; you always have to look around anyway. I just didn't get the message about the rubies or red jewels and the camera. It took a while to accidently figure that out. It was kinda fun pouring holy water over the sheriff zombie!

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Jul 9, 11 5:20 PM
I really like this game , in fact I think it's better than this week's CE Missing: Search and Rescue which I also finished.

I couldn't stop playing, there are lots of scenes to explore (more than the average game), few hidden object scenes which I like and mostly interaction.

The graphics is slightly grainy but overall it's clear so no problem with it. I read some people don't like the flashing light, actually I didn't see anything that bothered me. As for an item turning green when the cursor gets close to it, just don't move the cursor when looking for objects.

Considering it's a SE, it's a really good game! Also the length is good too.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jul 9, 11 6:36 PM
Decided to try this game after reading so many varying comments. I enjoyed the trial so much that I bought the game so I can continue playing.

Yes, it has lights showing the way, but I didn't find them obnoxious just a little different that the sparklies we are used to seeing in other games. The green indicating you are close to an object in the H0 scenes was fun to use when I got tired of peering at the screen. However, the H0 scenes are done so well that objects are not extremely difficult to find.

Overall I find this a very well done game. Not difficult, just relaxing and fun to play. Sometimes I like to play something that doesn't tax the brain too much and is just entertaining.

The hint system has been great so far in indicating where to go next when I am stumped on what to do or can't remember where I needed to use that item.

Thanks for a well done, fun game!

muppetmel
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by muppetmel on Jul 9, 11 7:50 PM
TimeKilla wrote:Oh, this is disappointing. I really liked the first Vampire Saga game (pandora's box) and have been looking forward to the sequel. It shows up and I can barely force myself to play for 20 minutes.

A little hand-holding is OK but this is just plain silly! It's not even subtle little sparkles, it's headache inducing flashes of light for every. little. thing. You can't enjoy the art in a new scene because it's just flash, flash, flash all over the place like a roomful of smiling Osmonds! Zoom into a close up and there are flashes there. Wanna know what to do next? Wait, you already do because the darned thing is flashing.

Devs, seriously? If I'm holding the lever that goes into the slot that I am currently looking at, I don't need a flash of light to tell me where it goes. Really, I can manage.

Then, in an H0 scene, I realized that the description of the objects turn green if you're close to them! In the one place that doesn't have flashes, they're still helping! "The bell is over here, warmer...warmer." Which is truly missing the point. They aren't called "Hidden objects found for you" games.

It's really too bad because this game could be great. Terrific art, a big world to explore, creepy story, a few decent inventory puzzles and a neat twist on in-game collectibles - rubies that you find when your camera starts blinking, you figure out where to take the picture and they're revealed. But, of course, there's great big bloody hand-prints right where you're supposed to point the camera.

This isn't just hand-holding, it's grabbing your hand and moving it for you. A bit insulting, when all is said and done. If they want to issue a special director's edition with all the dang flashing turned off, I'll buy it. In the meantime, I'm going to take two aspirin and put my aching head to bed. Welcome to Hell indeed.

ROFLMAO!!! This is a "helluva" great review. I haven't even downloaded the game yet, but I like to see what peeps have to say, and even though you don't like much about the game - 5 stars for a terrifically well written review. I laughed all the way through it. Especially this: "You can't enjoy the art in a new scene because it's just flash, flash, flash all over the place like a roomful of smiling Osmonds!" Bwhahahaha!

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Jul 9, 11 8:52 PM
Since I do not see a technical report yet I will put my complaint here. I have had this game freeze on me in different parts of the game at least 6 times and I have had to close manually since ctrl/alt/del won't close out the game. I have already bought the game and really enjoy it except for the freezing of the game. Is anyone else having the same problem or is it just my computer.

Edited on 07/09/2011 at 8:53:16 PM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Jul 9, 11 8:58 PM
Just as I expected, I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Much thought was given to the plot and it carried thru throughout the game. I thoroughly enjoyed that camera, I dont know what I would have done without it. In fact I used it as a Strategy Guide as in certain places the game was not so easy for me as it may have been for others. There were no gimmicks and exta quirks. What I liked was that I was actually collecting something useful without knowing it and got to use it in the end. Am really tired of collecting clovers, stars,etc which have no value except you collect x amout of 50 or 100 and then what. Looking forward to more like this one. I give it Five Stars.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jul 9, 11 9:11 PM
Kelvarda wrote:
TimeKilla wrote:My review (the one you may have seen when you came in) was a bit grumpy. Sorry about that. The game gave me a headache, not good for mood but I could have waited for the aspirin to kick in.
<snip>
I will buy this game if they offer an advanced level or a version that isn't a constant migraine trigger. If they get rid of the flashes, I will come back and talk about all the stuff I like.

To those who are running around lecturing everyone about the proper place to post so that the developers may/may not see it: If the developers are interested in why their game is not doing quite as well as anticipated, they will read or skim all the threads related to their game. And they will start with the one marked "review." Also, I say the same thing to you that I say about this game - You're not the boss of me! Please, back off.

Hi timekilla - This seems to be a dig at me, but I would like to explain why I posted what I did. Recently in the thread entitled: In regards to Comments and Review threads in the Game Forum (which has recently been un-stickied from the top threads in CCC) bfgArnoStyx wrote the following:
Our first priority with the Comments and Reviews thread is to make sure that we're able to have all reviews about our games in one area. We use this particular thread to collect feedback for our developers on a weekly basis, so redirecting users to this thread will not only help the Game Forum remain organized (as we already lock any outlying tech threads as well), but will allow us to take note of every review.

I'm sorry if you felt that I was ordering anybody to do anything, I was not, merely mentioning that this was the best place to write how much the flashes affected people.

I will keep all such comments to myself in future so as not to 'upset' yourself or anyone else! Thank you for listening.

Kel

Oh my goodness. I didn't see that post from bfgArnoStyx and it all makes so much more sense now. Yikes! I really goofed up there and I am so sorry.

I got carried away, it was very rude of me. Especially because your advice is spot on and just a little bit of digging would have revealed that. Please accept my sincere apology. I feel just awful about this.

And thank you for trying to help. Your good intentions should have been treated more kindly.

[Post New]by iluvgames55 on Jul 9, 11 9:53 PM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:At first fishies cry: "hand holding, hand holding!" as if someone offends their intelligence...

Then, if they are stuck, they yell: "I am going around, where is the walkthrough?"

There is some contradiction in this thesis... - do you use the walkthrough? Then, you need the hand holding.

I need the hand holding, and I need the sparkles, and I need the walkthrough! If I forgot where I saw an interaction, I want the sparkles to show me where it was.

I am blond...

I think the game gives you all the tools to enjoy the game, pat yourself on the shoulder when you are "smart" and "remember" where to go - just play and enjoy...

Thank you, developers!

I agree with you Rebeca_Lily wholeheartedly!! I really liked this game alot! I'm looking forward to the sequel. The only thing I was disappointed in was the ending. I happen to like Vampires, and I really wanted a happy ending with the main character and Laura. I liked the easy to follow "hints" and scene jumping because sometimes I need that extra help. Very good game.

[Post New]by iluvgames55 on Jul 9, 11 9:59 PM
bpurdum2 wrote:Since I do not see a technical report yet I will put my complaint here. I have had this game freeze on me in different parts of the game at least 6 times and I have had to close manually since ctrl/alt/del won't close out the game. I have already bought the game and really enjoy it except for the freezing of the game. Is anyone else having the same problem or is it just my computer.

I didn't have any technical problems with the game at all. Did you try rebooting your computer? Or maybe you might not have enough memory? Just a thought.

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Jul 9, 11 10:08 PM
I finally finished this game. The sparkles didn't bother me I was too busy playing the game. The game froze up on me a total of 7 times. This is the second game in as many days that I have had problems with. I usually don't have problems with the games working ok. I don't know what is going on but it is disappointing when they don't work right.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 10, 11 1:02 AM
Thank you TimeKilla for your apology, both in this thread and for the PM

Kel

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jul 10, 11 1:36 AM
Good Morning all.

I have just finished this game & thought I'd add to my comments from yesterday.

The game must have taken me around 6 hours of relaxed play, which would include nipping to the loo or making a coffee etc. I am a self confessed slow player but this is still of decent length.

Re the sparkles, actually although they were excessive to start with, I don't think I could have got through the game with out them towards the end, and with that & the wonderful photo map, the game would have become tedious instead of exciting.

I found if anything, the graphics got even crisper as the game went on. Although always there, the Hot & Cold bits became less noticable & I always raised my curser before looking at the list anyway.

Actually I preferred the hot / cold system to regular hints, but I guess an on / off option would have been good for some.

One thing that did start to annoy was in the hidden object scenes was the repetition of objects to find. Also the game became rather pedantic towards the end with naming objects. I mean hip flask is a flask, but a thermos flask isn't, A hair brush is not a brush & I found 2 chisels but the first one was wrong.

I am so glad I bought this game.

One word of advice to all yet to play. There is a lot to collect so you can move on, but actually, in this game if you can not find it (with help of your photo map) it probably means it is not available to find yet. An awful lot of the objects you find you need early in the game do not become available until much later on.

HTH

Jojo

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 10, 11 2:17 AM
I own the first game and loved it. And I really like this one as well. But, oh... what a shame about all those sparkles. This is a really big step back. I love exploring the gameworld by myself, and looking for the cursor to change when I have stumbled onto something. But this game doesn`t allow for free exploration. All is pointed out to you.

I did like the subtle change of colour in the H0 scenes when you were close to an object, and I like finding those rubies although, yet again, you can`t really not see them, because there again is that big sparkle (in red this time) that tells you there is a gem.

I also like having to take photos of certain parts of the area and then using them to jump to the various places, instead using a map.

Although I do like the graphics and gameplay, I won`t be buying this game, because the whole point of exploring an area and finding things has been taken away by the sparkles. It`s a real shame.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 10, 11 5:42 AM
Agree a 100%!

mcurty wrote:Decided to try this game after reading so many varying comments.
I enjoyed the trial so much that I bought the game so I can continue playing.

Yes, it has lights showing the way, but I didn't find them obnoxious just a little different that the sparklies we are used to seeing in other games. The green indicating you are close to an object in the H0 scenes was fun to use when I got tired of peering at the screen. However, the H0 scenes are done so well that objects are not extremely difficult to find.

Overall I find this a very well done game. Not difficult, just relaxing and fun to play. Sometimes I like to play something that doesn't tax the brain too much and is just entertaining.

The hint system has been great so far in indicating where to go next when I am stumped on what to do or can't remember where I needed to use that item.

Thanks for a well done, fun game!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 10, 11 6:02 AM
LizzieK wrote:I don’t think I have ever seen a game like this, and I don’t think I would ever want to see another one like it. This game takes about as much skill as a connect-the-dots picture geared to the 3 to 5 year old level. All you do is follow the flashing lights and the dialogue instructions. The game plays itself.

I forced myself to play 20 minutes and then quit as a headache was coming on. After a rest I went back and played another 30 minutes so I could comment on the game after playing a little longer.

If you want to play a game where you can totally veg out and not use any brain cells, this is it. You can have a total stress free romp in vampire land. This may be a great way to kill a rainy afternoon, especially if you enjoy watching someone else play games. Even the hidden objects find themselves.

I have to agree with this statement 100%. The fun has been completely taken out of the game by telling you every step of the way where to look next.

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Jul 10, 11 6:22 AM
I lasted about 6 minutes before the flashing lights and excessive sparkles had me ready to hurl myself out of the window. We are not stupid and would like to discover the gameplot not have it thrown at you. If the developers have a "Hard" version with no spakles and flashes option, I may give it another try as I think the game might be a goody. As it is right now, I can't stand to play another second.

Go to: